Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Will Shawne Merriman ever return to form?
Yes 4 10.53%
No 34 89.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Will Shawne Merriman ever return to form?

After three great seasons you had the suspension and then the injury, I believe he will only be 27 this season so will he ever return to the beast he once was?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:06 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He was one of the most dominant players in the game at such a young age, but right now all signs point to no if you ask me. After the steroid thing surfaced all he really had were few unproductive injury riddled years, if he doesn't return to form this year I doubt he ever will. I think a change of scenery would really benefit him.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think he will ever reach that level again.
By that, I mean leading the NFL in sacks, and he did that in 12 games.

But I think he can get back to the 10-sack a season level. But it all, IMO, depends on the health of the knee.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think he'll dominate like he did early in his career, but he'll be a good player.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:25 AM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Will Shawne Merriman ever start juicing again?" would be a better topic.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I were a GM, I'd just stay away from Maryland prospects. It's pretty damn obvious that all these guys are juicers.

And most of them flame out in the NFL. There are always 2-3 freak athletes from Maryland who post amazing numbers at the combine, then they flame out in the NFL.

I'm surprised Maryland doesn't get called out more, I think its pretty obvious they all juice over there.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:38 AM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does Vernon juice?

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:42 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
Does Vernon juice?
I'd say he juice's something.
But I still want him scoring 12 TDs this year for my fantasy team.

Many players juice something.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I apple juice some times.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:44 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its true, many players do juice. And I'm sure VD is one of them.

I just don't trust Maryland though. Way too many busts are coming out of Maryland, and they're mostly combine risers who just wow people with their athleticism, which is probably juiced athleticism anyway.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dont think vernon is doing anything illegal, his brother has the same physique with a smaller frame.

Campbell, Davis, DHB, and gaither are all freak athletes but thats what they look for at maryland, the biggest fastest and strongest....not really the best football players. i dont think its a maryland thing, i think its a merriman thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:58 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Merriman wasn't nearly as dominant and punishing after getting caught (just ask Mojo). Then the knee injuries did him in.

He was a great player, but the truth is that we have not seen him be productive without juicing up. Also, I'm no doctor, but I believe that steroid use can have harmful effects on the ligaments, which could also be something Merriman suffers fom. The muscles grow way too fast for the ligaments, and they can't keep up, so they become strained and then damaged. This sound right?

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:05 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
If I were a GM, I'd just stay away from Maryland prospects. It's pretty damn obvious that all these guys are juicers.

And most of them flame out in the NFL. There are always 2-3 freak athletes from Maryland who post amazing numbers at the combine, then they flame out in the NFL.

I'm surprised Maryland doesn't get called out more, I think its pretty obvious they all juice over there.
If VD was juicing, he must have started at age 15.
Vernon IMO is a mutant. He's always been bigger/faster/stronger than every other kid on a football field since he was a pee-wee.

Shawne Merriman on the other hand was 170# at one point in HS at a height of 6'2, and there have been rumors about him taking PEDs since before he arrived at UMD.

Friedgen has a knack for recruiting local kids who've only played a year or two of HS football, but have a lot of untapped athletic ability.

Darius Heyward Bey was a track guy who played one year of HS football that no one really wanted.

Bruce Campbell is too dumb to juice and never really played HS football, but he was an absolute Bigfoot as a teen and Fridge took a chance on him.

Shawne may become a starter again, but that dominant player we all saw his first couple years, that wasn't 'natural' IMO.

USC is 'juicer U.', not the Terps btw.

Basically, if you can run, jump and lift the gym but don't like sports too tough, Friedgen will give you a free-ride to UMD.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:16 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
If VD was juicing, he must have started at age 15.
Vernon IMO is a mutant. He's always been bigger/faster/stronger than every other kid on a football field since he was a pee-wee.

Shawne Merriman on the other hand was 170# at one point in HS at a height of 6'2, and there have been rumors about him taking PEDs since before he arrived at UMD.

Friedgen has a knack for recruiting local kids who've only played a year or two of HS football, but have a lot of untapped athletic ability.

Darius Heyward Bey was a track guy who played one year of HS football that no one really wanted.

Bruce Campbell is too dumb to juice and never really played HS football, but he was an absolute Bigfoot as a teen and Fridge took a chance on him.

Shawne may become a starter again, but that dominant player we all saw his first couple years, that wasn't 'natural' IMO.

USC is 'juicer U.', not the Terps btw.

Basically, if you can run, jump and lift the gym but don't like sports too tough, Friedgen will give you a free-ride to UMD.
+1

pretty much all of this, they dont land top recruits as football players, but they target some unreal athletes

Quote:
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think the PED (or lack thereof) did Merriman in, his knees did.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I don't think the PED (or lack thereof) did Merriman in, his knees did.
its probably more related than you think

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:23 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I remember seeing Merriman for the first 2 years of his career and thinking to myself, this guy is the closest thing to Lawrence Taylor we've ever seen.

Now fast forward 2-3 years, and we're wondering if he can even get 10 sacks a season.

It's amazing how much things change in this league in such a short period of time.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
its probably more related than you think

Excess stress because of the unnatural muscle gain? perhaps.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:25 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem with PEDs is that the increased size/muscle strength puts more load on joints and ligaments than they were intended to support.

It would be like putting a muscular 21 year old's biceps into the arm of a five year old. At some point he's going to blow out his shoulder and elbow joints/ligaments.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:07 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I voted - no.

he can be good again, I don't know, don't watch chargers games. But I don't think he'll ever be lights out again

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whatever combination of the knee injuries and lack of juice caused it, he simply doesn't have the explosion and mobility he used to have. I don't see him ever getting close to what he was.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:36 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To me once he lost his ability to over power tackles, thats when he lost it. I remember him vs. the Pats in the playoffs trying to over power the RT Kazcur (I think) and he couldn't do nothing.

wasn't he caught using PED's too?

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:43 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Merriman's go-to move used to be that he could bull rush an OT three to five yards into the backfield, disengage and rush the passer.

He's not that guy anymore.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:21 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No.

1 - He's off roids.
2 - the SD DL is not what it used to be.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:32 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

By the transitive property of Tila Tequila you doom yourself.