Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Unhappy This is me being the dirty console peasant I am.

I have a GeForce GTX 690
A 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
SSD 1tb hard drive
and a pair of matching 24" HD monitors.

How am I doing so far if I were attempting to gather necessary components to assemble a gaming computer, what else do I need and is what I have listed so far a good start? Aside from a keyboard, mouse and random speakers, this is what I have been offered (mostly free) from friends and relatives after expressing interest in a gaming computer. I'm on my own for whatever the rest is and if possible, I'd prefer not to break the bank on it.

Edit: Up until now I've been using the same a Dell laptop as my main (and only) all purpose computer. And I'd like to change that.

I apologize for my plebian-ness in asking this. I'm not particularly well versed in this kind of thing I'm embarrassed to say.

Last edited by Crickett : 02-17-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:15 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In what universe do you need a 690? But if it's free, why not? (it's the most powerful gpu by a fair amount)

Xeons are for servers. I don't have much experience with then outside of servers.

You may have trouble finding a motherboard that will accommodate a Xeon and a 690 because that's a weird config.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
You may have trouble finding a motherboard that will accommodate a Xeon and a 690 because that's a weird config.

Any suggestions?
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:53 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too not sober at the moment
Old 02-19-2014, 12:24 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Any suggestions?
Honestly if people are just giving you that stuff spend a little on a CPU and decent MoBo to go with the GPU and SSD.

Add some RAM and a PSU and you are have a great gaming rig. In theory it shouldn't cost too much.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:39 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike B did a reveiw on BAnished. Im gonna be picking this game up soon.

General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Mike B did a reveiw on BAnished. Im gonna be picking this game up soon.

It's incredibly fun. My first town was at about 30 people when a fire broke out in the middle of a brutal winter. It destroyed two buildings: One House and my storage barn (ALL of the town's food).

We starved to death and that was that.

My second town just crossed 400 people and has an extremely profitable firewood export business :D

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn it. Gonna be spending like $80 between Banished and TitanFall in the next week.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Damn it. Gonna be spending like $80 between Banished and TitanFall in the next week.
There have been multiple deals for Titanfall for around $45. None active right now but I'd expect one to pop up again before release. :)

I missed the last one so whenever I see it on slickdeals I'll post it here as well for you.

Banished is the best $20 game I've played. =)

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
There have been multiple deals for Titanfall for around $45. None active right now but I'd expect one to pop up again before release. :)

I missed the last one so whenever I see it on slickdeals I'll post it here as well for you.

Banished is the best $20 game I've played. =)
Please do sir! I'd love to save some money.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Blah stop it Trog.. you're going to make me buy Banished. :(

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Yeah, I'm on the edge of buying it. I think I'll wait until the weekend.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Please do sir! I'd love to save some money.
Reckon IŽll be able to run Titanfall on my laptop? As far as laptops go it has enough ram and a decent gfx card. I want to play it!

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At some point this year I need to save up for a CPU water cooler and an SSD to get my rig to where I want it to be.

I also want a new headset and potentially a new case.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:21 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

are you overclocking?
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:35 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I should just buy a whole new machine but I'm lazy to put it together. Meh.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
are you overclocking?
Kinda, my CPU/Board has an autoclock feature but it runs hotter than I want. I can easily get it to 3.9 while I am putzing around but if I throw a game on there the temp gets to unsustainable levels.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:45 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Kinda, my CPU/Board has an autoclock feature but it runs hotter than I want. I can easily get it to 3.9 while I am putzing around but if I throw a game on there the temp gets to unsustainable levels.
*shrug* watercooling is usually so unnecessary, unless you're really pushing it up. and i guess i'm just not finding that my processor is ever a bottleneck anymore.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:51 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
*shrug* watercooling is usually so unnecessary, unless you're really pushing it up. and i guess i'm just not finding that my processor is ever a bottleneck anymore.
Honestly its probably not. I can run pretty much every game on max with 2x AA. I guess for me its the fact of its all that's left to do to my machine.

Looking at Tom's CPU and GPU hierarchy my current ones aren't far behind and to upgrade to cutting edge I would be looking at over $1,000. So I would just take a prebuilt cooling system and an SSD to really just get the machine to the best it can be without breaking the bank.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:58 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

the ssd was huge for me, i'd pitch more money into a bigger one before worrying about any of my other components at this point. though i really ought to get a better gpu at some point. that's probably my biggest issue.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

I think I detail my rig in this thread somewhere.

While its not a i7 and Nvidia (I wanted to save some money)

I do have the FX -8150 and AMD 5970 with 16 GB of RAM. So really the SSD is that last "crucial" thing I need.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SSD is the best thing ever.

Have been playing league again lately, got placed into Plat this season. Started playing Aatrox for the first time (literally). 0-5 or 0-6 with him in my first whatever games, haven't fed or played poorly in one single game, have started two games out 4-0 and team ended up getting smashed. One game 7-2-9 or something like that. I don't know if I have had this bad a streak of luck with teams in ages playing League. I literally lost over 11 games straight. The worst was me getting top lane killed 4 times within the first 10 minutes, and our bot lane end up getting snowballed with our mid leblanc being useless late game. Also had another game where my bot lane fed a Draven to the point where he ended up with 20 kills in less than 30 minutes... They kept complaining he was "so OP" then would continuously try to solo him (seriously the nami would run up to him and try to solo a legendary draven). PEOPLE THESE DAYS.

I don't really give a **** because I have been practicing different champions such as Lux mid, Aatrox jungle, or trying to get Ashe solo queue to work, but it has been a complete pain in the ass lately lol.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
I think I detail my rig in this thread somewhere.

While its not a i7 and Nvidia (I wanted to save some money)

I do have the FX -8150 and AMD 5970 with 16 GB of RAM. So really the SSD is that last "crucial" thing I need.
yeah, getting my OS onto one has been terrific. my data drive is a hybrid, which has been sufficient for what i need. swap files are still in solid state, but the big, load once data chunks are on a platter. i don't really mind the extra 5 seconds on the initial load, given the lowered cost.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopSandwich View Post
SSD is the best thing ever.

Have been playing league again lately, got placed into Plat this season. Started playing Aatrox for the first time (literally). 0-5 or 0-6 with him in my first whatever games, haven't fed or played poorly in one single game, have started two games out 4-0 and team ended up getting smashed. One game 7-2-9 or something like that. I don't know if I have had this bad a streak of luck with teams in ages playing League. I literally lost over 11 games straight. The worst was me getting top lane killed 4 times within the first 10 minutes, and our bot lane end up getting snowballed with our mid leblanc being useless late game. Also had another game where my bot lane fed a Draven to the point where he ended up with 20 kills in less than 30 minutes... They kept complaining he was "so OP" then would continuously try to solo him (seriously the nami would run up to him and try to solo a legendary draven). PEOPLE THESE DAYS.

I don't really give a **** because I have been practicing different champions such as Lux mid, Aatrox jungle, or trying to get Ashe solo queue to work, but it has been a complete pain in the ass lately lol.
Aatrox got nerfed to hell. Abandon ship.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Yeah, I think my next big upgrades will be an SSD and maybe some more/better RAM. I really want an SSD though. Not sure what size I should go with though. 120GB seems like it won't cost too much, but with the OS that eliminates quite a bit off the bat, correct? Although I see a lot of variation for the install size of Windows 7, ranging from 8-30 gbs. Nonetheless, considering how big games are these days and the fact I'd like to be able to fit at least 3-4 of my favorite games on it I feel like 12GB might not be enough.

And I'm with njx, water cooling is almost entirely worthless/pointless unless you're doing some serious overclocking. A good case with proper fan set up should be more than enough to keep everything at optimal temperatures.