Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-01-2013, 05:54 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
post your .craft file someplace and i'll be happy to.
Hmmm. I cannot seem to find it for the ships. It seems like there is only one file and it's the mechjeb.craft file? Does mechjeb consolidate all the ships into one file or something?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:49 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
is simcity still bad? I've been trying to find some other games to play when I'm not playing Day Z.
I don't think the game itself was ever bad, I just think the entire situation was handled poorly. I haven't played it though, so you'll have to get an answer from someone who has.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:16 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No. There were things about the game that were definitely bad. And I don't think they've been fixed. It's simply not fun because there seems to be only one way to play each map (and there are only like 27 maps) without running out of space to build things and being totally screwed over. I played one map for like 2 hours and completely ran out of room to build. I had everything and then my streets filled up with homeless people. There's no way to recover from that but to start over. I think the main thing that has not been fixed is the traffic problems.

It's not as good as previous versions.

Also, the commercialization of the game is a really big turn off.

If you want a 4X game to play, I'd go with Crusader Kings II.

Last edited by nepg : 06-01-2013 at 09:18 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
No. There were things about the game that were definitely bad. And I don't think they've been fixed. It's simply not fun because there seems to be only one way to play each map (and there are only like 27 maps) without running out of space to build things and being totally screwed over. I played one map for like 2 hours and completely ran out of room to build. I had everything and then my streets filled up with homeless people. There's no way to recover from that but to start over. I think the main thing that has not been fixed is the traffic problems.

It's not as good as previous versions.

Also, the commercialization of the game is a really big turn off.

If you want a 4X game to play, I'd go with Crusader Kings II.
Eh, I actually like the game a lot. I think it's much more challenging than just "I'll just throw down a bunch of stuff and it will pretty much work out despite poor city planning."

Although, I admit, I'd like to see some bigger maps for people to play. Part of the reason you can run out of room so fast is that you're supposed to use other cities in the regions to support you. So if you run out of room for industrial, you can build it in another city and your people will go there. Again, it's just a very different way that we were used to in the original Sim City. I find it more challenging and fun this way. I have to really think and organize by city effectively. I've almost got a city with 1 million people with room to grow.

Also, have you played since the 3.0 update? Solved a lot of traffic issues.

Quote:
go to:

KSP_win\saves\SAVE_GAME_NAME\Ships\VAB

you'll see it there.
Hmm..is there a preferable method to get this to you? A file uploading site that's preferred?

And it is only if you actually want to look at it, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I don't think the game itself was ever bad, I just think the entire situation was handled poorly. I haven't played it though, so you'll have to get an answer from someone who has.
Yeah. There was some issues with the game, no doubt. It's really the always online thing and how they handled the issues. To me, the game should have single player mode. It would be easily doable.

However, I think it's a very good game. It's not the carbon copy of Sim City 4 or Sim City 2000. Nor should it be. I like that they mixed it up a lot. It has a long way to go but they've been doing some REALLY great updates for the game. I don't think I've ever seen a game so constantly updated with fixes and new stuff. It's pretty cool.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:49 AM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone play Dota 2?

I've been messing about on hard with bots but have yet to venture into the online world with it. Used to play Dota way too much back in the day and was still rubbish.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchrd View Post
Anyone play Dota 2?

I've been messing about on hard with bots but have yet to venture into the online world with it. Used to play Dota way too much back in the day and was still rubbish.
Dota 2? Man it's all about LoL.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 AM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know man but i'm old and scared of change. I did visit the LoL website once, but I felt I was moving too fast so left and repressed the incident until you just mentioned it.

True story.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:41 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I suck at KSP but... I did make and Airplane that I was flying for a while which was fun.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
So I suck at KSP but... I did make and Airplane that I was flying for a while which was fun.
Ha! :D I do too no worries. Perfecting a spaceplane is one of my long-term goals but I gave up. Made some in-atmosphere planes that worked out though :)

My current project is figuring out how people are making space-stations and also put some type of Mun base.

That being said I saw that DayZ is going to be playable at E3 so I'm excited for MOAR NEWS.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't played much but I have yet to get anything in to orbit :-/
Old 06-03-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Ha! :D I do too no worries. Perfecting a spaceplane is one of my long-term goals but I gave up. Made some in-atmosphere planes that worked out though :)

My current project is figuring out how people are making space-stations and also put some type of Mun base.

That being said I saw that DayZ is going to be playable at E3 so I'm excited for MOAR NEWS.
Haha yeah. Space planes are hard to get up into the atmosphere (at least for me). You typically need to adjust your custom key groups, which is a bit too complex for me at the moment.

I've managed to successfully get to the Mun a few times and recently went to Minmus. Also put up an orbital refueling space station that's pretty nice.

I'm currently in the test phase of my rocket/lander capable of reaching Duna. Still testing some things out on it by doing simulated landings on the Mun.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
I haven't played much but I have yet to get anything in to orbit :-/
Best bet is to just keep it simple and time your gravity turn. You can get into orbit pretty easily with a single engine design.

Once I hit 10,000 meters (10km) I start my gravity turn. Just a simple 10 degree turn onto the 90 degree heading. Then every 10km I keep turn 10-15 degrees.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
i'd also add to watch your throttle. if you're running with it fully open the whole time, you're wasting a ton of dV for nothing (because you're fighting drag). get up to like, 100-120m/s as fast as possible, then drop the throttle and keep it under 150m/s until you're over 10km.
Yeah, I find that is quite helpful and something I didn't realize until watching Scott Manley's videos. Saves me a lot of fuel. Plus with the big engines it keeps them from overheating too.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gone through the trainings, now trying to make my own ships.

They all look completely terrible and outlandish, but I'm making small progress.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I'm buying a new mouse and keyboard and I was wondering if anyone has purchased any of the Razer brand? I have some Razer headphones that I love but I don't have a mouse or keyboard.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Gone through the trainings, now trying to make my own ships.

They all look completely terrible and outlandish, but I'm making small progress.
Haha, I was the same way. I think I have an odd way of approaching things so a lot of my designs are sort of quirky/unique.

I think the best thing to do is go simple early. I tried to make things waaaaay to complex early on.

I finally became more consistent when I went simple and worked my way up. I'd just start with one fuel tank and one engine (and advanced SAS of course) and then just kept practicing by gravity turns and such. Now getting to orbit is effortless - unless of course I create a new ship! Testing is always fun!

Getting to the Mun is pretty straightforward for me now too. I can do it with relative success. Same with docking. I never thought I would get docking but its straight forward now.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Razer is amazing if you're looking for a mouse. I wouldn't go for their keyboards, though. I've been eyeing the CM Storm QuickFire Pro for when I get a new one.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agree with nepg. I enjoyed using the Naga mouse but I like smaller form factors so I ended up going back to my trusty CM Storm Spawn. Cheap and effective and the most comfortable mouse for me.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:11 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Thanks for the info guys.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:15 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I have a Death Adder and a G15. Need to upgrade to mechanical at some point. Have trouble justifying the expense, though.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:16 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I have a Death Adder and a G15. Need to upgrade to mechanical at some point. Have trouble justifying the expense, though.
I have the G15 keyboard but it's old and kind of ratty. I was looking at the Death Adder but meh. Trying to figure out what I wanna get, cuz I don't plan on buying a mouse or keyboard for at least a few years after this and I know from experience that Razer products last.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Yeah, I had a Copperhead for 6 years. It still works, but sometimes isn't super responsive anymore.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

I have a death adder and the Black Widow. Love them both.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

I'm a Logitech guy myself. Always had a lot of success and longevity with their products.

I do need a new mouse though. After 5+ years with my Logitech mouse I think I may need to replace it.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
So I'm buying a new mouse and keyboard and I was wondering if anyone has purchased any of the Razer brand? I have some Razer headphones that I love but I don't have a mouse or keyboard.
I have the Razer Abyssus and I love it.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote