Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 09-09-2010, 06:44 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Tyrod "T-Mobile" Taylor

Here is a guy who single handily has improved over the past couple of seasons @ Tech as a passer. Last year he completed 136 passes on 243 attempts with 2,311 yards & a 56% completion rate. The other night against Boise St. he completed 15 passes on 22 attempts for 186 yards on 2 TD's. Aside from being an undersized 6'1'' 210 QB a knock I have on him is, that he still does not have the thought process of a top notch QB in a 2 minute drill. My question to you all who scout prospects, is can he get himself together in his final season to bring his stock up as a potential NFL QB? If he gets drafted what round does he go, & does he have a shot @ being a signal-caller @ the next level or will he make a position switch?

Last edited by shylo3716 : 12-04-2010 at 11:17 PM.
shylo3716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:32 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There was a lot to like out of Taylor Monday. I saw him go through progressions, make good decisions with the ball, throw the ball with great zip, good accuracy, and a quick release, and I think most of his incompletions were drops on well-thrown, catchable balls (not to say they were all easy catches, but they were in the right place).

There was a lot of rumors saying he runs that offense as good as Vick did coming out of VT in the Summer. It's well-justified after what we saw Monday. Plus, he made that miracle run for a first down after nearly getting sacked that reminded me of Randall Cunningham.

I don't want to sound like there was nothing bad about his play Monday, but I didn't see anything. He took a couple sacks, but the replays did a good job showing the coverage...his receivers were smothered on those sacks. Good job taking the sacks.

Slightly unrelated, but I hate how NFL teams will draft a guy like Taylor to be a backup to a stiff (Hasselbeck - Wallace, O'Donnell - Stewart) or to start with a stiff backing him up (Vick - Schaub, Young - Collins). Teams never commit to having an athletic QB by keeping a stable of them on the roster. It'd be extremely beneficial for a team like Tennessee to have a guy like Pat White, Armanti Edwards, or Josh Cribbs backing up Vince Young. They can do a lot of things Young can do if they need to replace him, plus they play other positions that maximize roster spots. One of the experiments that I'd take on if I were a GM is to build a sick defense, then build my offense around athletic QBs with a unique offense to take advantage of their skill-sets.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He did look good vs. Boise, and I think he looked a little thicker than the 210 you have him at. He's probably a late-round project in my mind, and worst case scenario, could make the move to RB like Michael Robinson. They share some similarities imo.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shylo3716 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
He did look good vs. Boise, and I think he looked a little thicker than the 210 you have him at. He's probably a late-round project in my mind, and worst case scenario, could make the move to RB like Michael Robinson. They share some similarities imo.
I got his measurements from ESPN.com but I also think he's about 215 or so give or take.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:13 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How do you single handedly improve as a passer? Or I guess its how do you not...

But anyways, he's definitely improved and is a great athlete. But he still has such a long way to go as a passer that a position change is probably in his future.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:32 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The advantage he has over other running quarterbacks is that he's running a pro-style offense for the most part unlike a guy like Pat White.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:08 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

reminds me of Troy Smith, minus the hype.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:44 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He can't be any worse than Tarvaris Jackson as a prospect, right?
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:57 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
reminds me of Troy Smith, minus the hype.
Exactly, except Troy Smith is 10x the passer Taylor is.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:30 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Exactly, except Troy Smith is 10x the passer Taylor is.
Well, I don't know about that... Taylor looks amazingly improved in that department. If you're only basing it off of past seasons, then you're right, but Taylor looked like a completely different passer against Boise State. Taylor's a better runner than Smith, though.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:41 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There were times in the Boise game where he missed wide open recievers. The one that sticks out the most is the pass behind the reciever on 3rd down to clinch the game.

There was a lot to like but he is still a developing QB. 5th-UDFA at this point.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Mr. Offseason
Rookie

Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
There were times in the Boise game where he missed wide open recievers. The one that sticks out the most is the pass behind the reciever on 3rd down to clinch the game.

There was a lot to like but he is still a developing QB. 5th-UDFA at this point.
I thought that was a bad play, but do you think that might have been a miscommunication? I think Tyrod might have wanted him to break the route off closer to the sticks, but it could have easily just been a missed throw by Tyrod.

I think he is still a developing QB, but he has come a very long way since he has been at Virginia Tech. Some of his passes still don't have the best zip on them, but he definitely has the arm to put zip on whatever passes he wants. He has gotten a lot better at buying time in the pocket and going through his progressions in the pocket, but I didn't think he did a great job of this against Boise State. I think he did a fantastic job of doing that against Tennessee, but he wasn't as good at it against Boise. Of course that was just my impression live, so I have to re-watch it to get a better view of it.
Mr. Offseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:14 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Offseason View Post
I thought that was a bad play, but do you think that might have been a miscommunication? I think Tyrod might have wanted him to break the route off closer to the sticks, but it could have easily just been a missed throw by Tyrod.

I think he is still a developing QB, but he has come a very long way since he has been at Virginia Tech. Some of his passes still don't have the best zip on them, but he definitely has the arm to put zip on whatever passes he wants. He has gotten a lot better at buying time in the pocket and going through his progressions in the pocket, but I didn't think he did a great job of this against Boise State. I think he did a fantastic job of doing that against Tennessee, but he wasn't as good at it against Boise. Of course that was just my impression live, so I have to re-watch it to get a better view of it.
Could have been miscommunication. I was also there live and haven't even seen the highlights. At one point, I'll rewatch the game. No one stood out on the Va. Tech side for me, not even Ryan Williams, but both Titus Young and Austin Pettis did a great job for Boise State.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:22 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

There weren't a lot of plays where Tyrod had to go through progressions. There was a lot of one-read plays. The few times he had to go through progressions, I thought he looked good doing so.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:28 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
There weren't a lot of plays where Tyrod had to go through progressions. There was a lot of one-read plays. The few times he had to go through progressions, I thought he looked good doing so.
Agreed. I was personally impressed with him as I said earlier. He isn't going to wow you with his passing skills, but they aren't bad and add to that his ability to run, and he could have a chance to stick at QB in the pros. I mean, Troy Smith is still floating around isn't he?

And if that doesn't work out, I think he could try making the move to RB ala Michael Robinson.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:41 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Agreed. I was personally impressed with him as I said earlier. He isn't going to wow you with his passing skills, but they aren't bad and add to that his ability to run, and he could have a chance to stick at QB in the pros. I mean, Troy Smith is still floating around isn't he?

''And if that doesn't work out, I think he could try making the move to RB ala Michael Robinson.''
I highly doubt if he would make it in the NFL as a RB, he would be more suited as a slot WR or a PR IMO, I seen what he was capable of in HS even though it's another level he will venture off into.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:00 PM    (permalink
PrimetimeTheDon
Rookie

PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.

Not an NFL QB prospect. He'll go undrafted.

Badababaaa, I'm lovin it.
PrimetimeTheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimetimeTheDon View Post
"Not an NFL QB prospect. He'll go undrafted."
That is a ridiculous statement!!!!! If players like Seneca Wallace can get drafted I know Tyrod will go 6-7th rd @ best.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimetimeTheDon View Post
Not an NFL QB prospect. He'll go undrafted.
You should really provide details as to why you believe this is the case....
Old 09-10-2010, 09:34 PM    (permalink
shylo3716
Pro Bowler

Before he goes undrafted trust & believe he will make a position switch.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:34 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post

Slightly unrelated, but I hate how NFL teams will draft a guy like Taylor to be a backup to a stiff (Hasselbeck - Wallace, O'Donnell - Stewart) or to start with a stiff backing him up (Vick - Schaub, Young - Collins). Teams never commit to having an athletic QB by keeping a stable of them on the roster. It'd be extremely beneficial for a team like Tennessee to have a guy like Pat White, Armanti Edwards, or Josh Cribbs backing up Vince Young. They can do a lot of things Young can do if they need to replace him, plus they play other positions that maximize roster spots. One of the experiments that I'd take on if I were a GM is to build a sick defense, then build my offense around athletic QBs with a unique offense to take advantage of their skill-sets.
I aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalways do this whenever I've got a videogame franchise/dynasy.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:28 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubflower View Post
I aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalways do this whenever I've got a videogame franchise/dynasy.
Back when I used to build sim franchises in Madden (basically play GM/god and just simulate the games) I built one hell of a team with Seneca Wallace at QB. It was super run heavy but set to be real aggressive. Got MJD in a pretty cheap trade and drafted an in-game power back and converted him to FB....50/50 RB 1 and 2 split. Both rushed for over 1000 in their best season and Seneca rushed for another 500 while throwing for about 2000. Dominated.

Last edited by BeerBaron : 09-11-2010 at 12:30 AM.
BeerBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:00 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't see Tyrod and Va Tech lose to Div. 1-AA James Madison, but I bet he had a LOT to do with the Hokies being upset.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:03 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
I didn't see Tyrod and Va Tech lose to Div. 1-AA James Madison, but I bet he had a LOT to do with the Hokies being upset.
Actually nope. More like the defense and Tech's awful offensive coordinator. But thanks for spamming the thread though..

#3 Duke Blue Devils (0-0)
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:35 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

The play calling was suspect for the Boise State games in crucial moments. I didn't see the James Madison game, however.