Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-06-2014, 10:37 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I went the eBay route. You have to be very careful, there are a lot of knock offs. Make sure you google how to spot a fake, and do your due diligence when buying one.

I bought a used Cartier for 500 bucks, got it cleaned and put a new leather strap on it and was good to go. But it took about 3 months of searching before I found the right one that would look good after cleaning it up.

Finding the right straps aren't easy either.
Thanks, the number of replicas out there certainly makes me nervous. I've done some searching about recognizing fakes but I'm a little uneasy because I haven't really been able to spot many fake ones on ebay other than the obvious too good to be true condition for the price listings from Thailand or wherever.

I'm hoping to go about the same route as you in finding a cool Seamaster for around $500 that just needs a little cleaning and maybe new band.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
Thanks, the number of replicas out there certainly makes me nervous. I've done some searching about recognizing fakes but I'm a little uneasy because I haven't really been able to spot many fake ones on ebay other than the obvious too good to be true condition for the price listings from Thailand or wherever.

I'm hoping to go about the same route as you in finding a cool Seamaster for around $500 that just needs a little cleaning and maybe new band.
You know the drill, if it's too good to be true it probably is. And after you buy it, take it to a reputable jeweler to see if it's real or not.

Look for signature emblems or marks that the manufacturer puts on their watches to authenticate them, send the poster requests to see pictures of those marks, etc.

Craigslist is another avenue you can take. Although it depends on your geographic location. I find that I have more success on craigslist than people from other areas bc Manhattan yuppies are always getting rid of expensive things for cheap bc they're either spoiled, lazy, want the newest thing, or whatever the reason may be.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:57 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wear khaki dockers to work :/

but I'm a history teacher so that makes it fine, right?

it's also not all I wear. I've got a couple nice gray, black and greenish tint paints I enjoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hey Rob (or anyone else familiar with watches) do you know of a good spot to buy used watches? I know you told me to get a Stowa, but after some research I've really grown fond of vintage Omega Seamasters (1960s models). There are obviously a lot on ebay, but I was wondering if there are other places I should be looking.
They are great watches. Unfortunately, I'm not that big into the watch game, so I can't advise too much here. Check out watch forums/styleforum's watch thread and I'm sure they have a ton of advice.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:15 AM    (permalink
Moses Beasley
Rookie

Moses Beasley hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
I wear khaki dockers to work :/

but I'm a history teacher so that makes it fine, right?

it's also not all I wear. I've got a couple nice gray, black and greenish tint paints I enjoy
You can never go wrong with khakis, just like women's wardrobe there's always a little black dress, for men khaki is a staple.
Moses Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I bought way too many shoe trees from Jos A Bank the other day. I just needed 2 honestly, but they had one of their buy 1 get 2 free off everything sale, and whenever that happens at any store, I'm always guilty of getting way more than I should.

So I wound up buying 2 (thus getting 6 total). So now I have 4 boxes of shoe trees just sitting in my shoe closet for no reason at all.

7 bucks a tree is a pretty damn good price though.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:05 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I badly need new dress shoes (both brown and black). I know styleforum is all about Allen Edmonds, but are there any other decent brands that I could get for around the price of AE seconds? Or, I suppose any recommendations on places that have a good selection of AE seconds would be helpful, too.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:32 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I bought way too many shoe trees from Jos A Bank the other day. I just needed 2 honestly, but they had one of their buy 1 get 2 free off everything sale, and whenever that happens at any store, I'm always guilty of getting way more than I should.

So I wound up buying 2 (thus getting 6 total). So now I have 4 boxes of shoe trees just sitting in my shoe closet for no reason at all.

7 bucks a tree is a pretty damn good price though.
I always ******* miss the shoe tree sales. I need some badly.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I badly need new dress shoes (both brown and black). I know styleforum is all about Allen Edmonds, but are there any other decent brands that I could get for around the price of AE seconds? Or, I suppose any recommendations on places that have a good selection of AE seconds would be helpful, too.
I just bought 2 pairs of AE last week. They had a 50% off sale. You just have to be patient and know when to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I always ******* miss the shoe tree sales. I need some badly.
Don't stress it. Jos A Bank has a sale like every week. I'm sure they'll have a buy 1 get 2 sale again in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

AE is 2 for 250 on seconds right now. Probably not going to get a better deal then that
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:12 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Damix you got a link to that?
Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
AE is 2 for 250 on seconds right now. Probably not going to get a better deal then that
Yup.

BBD, you need to e-mail a factory outlet and request a spreadsheet of what they have available in your size.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Yup.

BBD, you need to e-mail a factory outlet and request a spreadsheet of what they have available in your size.
Do they deliver or do you have to pick up?
Old 03-20-2014, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Do they deliver or do you have to pick up?
Free shipping and free returns. Another benefit to not buying crappy shoes.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:05 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Yup.

Is that shoebank@allenedmonds.com ?
Old 03-20-2014, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Yeah....99% sure. I now have a guy I contact directly, but I'm pretty sure that is the generic.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:15 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Other than button ups and polos, what do you guys wear to work during the summer?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:38 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BBD why do you need dress shoes?

I thought you just wore steel toed boots around everywhere.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat316 View Post
BBD why do you need dress shoes?

I thought you just wore steel toed boots around everywhere.
I did. But promotions led to more desk work. Less time in the mfg plant and more time in the office and around management.

Now my new job I start in 2 weeks is almost exclusively office work.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:20 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'm about to give moderntailor.com a try and see if I like their shirts and dress pants.

Anyone here have any experience with them?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:32 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

God I hope not.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

He trollin, brah.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:41 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I can't even tell anymore. I see too many young dudes rocking the Justin Beiber for me to put that past anyone.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WTF is up with socks? I don't know why but it seems like everyone is starting a sock brand. And I see individual pairs online for like 15-20 dollars a pair.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:47 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Black Nike athletic socks are just too comfortable for me to give up. The colored/checkered socks are the bees knees these days but I don't care enough about socks to spend a bunch of money on em.

I rather have comfortable socks on, and those Nikes are sooo comfortable.