Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:50 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Week 1 Write up

As always monday night's thoughts will be posted after the games in an addendum.

Slightly different format to previous years, really only because I can't remember how I used to do it and can't bother to look it up.

Week one and 17 are pretty much the same, you can't take much from it, all it shows is a glimpse of what we might see later on down the road, so take this analysis with as much salt as you would a final week performance or even the pre-season, first week helps set a tone for a team, but doesn't make a year.

Seattle v SF

For the longest time I've been a big defender of Alex Smith, I thought he was mishandled from the first day and all he needed was some stability both in the coaches above him and the players around him. I'm starting to come round to the fact that he just might be terrible.

Don't get me wrong, not having your primary receivers in training camp with you isn't going to do much for improving chemistry and the Seattle defense did play relatively well, but Alex Smith was out of sync with everyone else on the field and at times looked down right lost. Forget the crap about his hand size and to an extent forget his past. This is his year, and if he can't put it together in the next three weeks or so I think that's it for his career as a starting quarterback.

Colour me surprised at the performance of a Pete Carroll NFL team. I didn't like the hiring and didn't like him as a coach but he put together a very solid game plan against what was supposed to be a 49ers team taking the next step and it appears he has the team buying into his philosophy which was a big issue in his past. The question here becomes can he keep it up and can the team remain cohesive and cooperative through some adversity.

Young QBs
It was a pretty terrible day for the future (or would be future) signal callers; Matt Ryan looked flat and failed to lead his team to a victory over what was a very good Steelers defense, Matt Moore threw three picks in the redzone in a very winnable game against the Giants, Bradford was somewhat inconsistent in his first start, Stafford went down after what was looking to be a strong performance, Kolb retired after looking very poor indeed and neither Henne nor Trent Edwards looked like future starters either.

Passing league we may be heading for, but it looks like defensive backs are reaping the benefits.

Philly and Carolina had the same issue today
It was difficult to predict how well Kolb would go against what can be a dangerous green bay defense and his early jitters were no surprise, what was however was the distinct lack of help from Andy Reid's play calling. Fair enough when given the opporunity players have to step up, but 6 designed run plays in the first half when you know a defense is going to blitz is not what you call a wise decision.

Once Vick came in the defense were forced to be more honest after he gashed them on broken plays with his feet but Reid again muddled his clock management.

Conversely in Carolina there was a tale of two teams, the first half showed intelligent mix of run and pass plays, the Giants weren't able to simply rush after Moore or stack the box and the Panthers lead at half time after an a great throw and catch to Smith.

The 2nd half once behind, Fox all but abandoned the run game. He called pass plays one after the other and most of them called for intermediate to deep routes, no screens or dump offs and Moore, like many QBs facing the Giants simply couldn't handle the pressure. The stupidity was compounded by the calling for 3 straight pass plays in the redzone from the 5 yard line the final of which resulted in an INT.

Houston
Looks like after them being perennially picked to make the leap to the playoffs it might finally be time. It took a monumental effort from Arian Foster to overcome the Colts and Peyton still made sure it was a real fight right to the end and yes as I said it's only the first week. But this game will mean more to the team as far as confidence and chemistry than it will in the record. Finally getting the monkey off their back after such a long time of coming so close (rosencopter incident) and faltering will do wonders for the team's mindset.

New England
Was it ever really in question whether new england would be competitive? Their offseason rundown usually comprised of Moss being disgruntled, Welker being hurt, their Running Backs being nobodies, and their secondary being just plain not up to scratch. Turns out it was all for naught as Brady, Welker, Moss and the Pats defense were up to task against the Bengals.

I don't think it matters who pulls on a jersey as long as Belichick draws breath and is on that sideline the Patriots will be competitive and after the way the rest of the AFC East looked today they'll be right in the mix.

Pathetic Player of the week
Alex Barron: to give you an idea of how bad he is, the Rams traded him for Bobby Carpenter a player they then cut before the end of the pre-season. He's the most penalised player in the NFL over the last two years, 2nd place is former Cowboys tackle, Flozell Adams.

Jerry Jones can draft, trade for and buy as many running backs, wide receivers, quarterbacks, cornerbacks, safeties and pass rushers as he likes but until he builds an offensive line he'll never get that ring he covets.

For those who haven't seen the pathetic excuse for a game that occured between Washington and Dallas Romo threw a perfect pass to Roy Williams to win the game in the closing moments of the the divisional clash, only to have it called back for Alex Barron who decided to try and bear hug rather than block on the final play. Genius.

Quick hits
The NFL teams seem to be taking the offseason media attention to head injuries very seriously. Moore was pulled after feeling groggy from an Osi Umenyiora sack (which is why Clausen came in).

Bradley and Kolb both retired from the game against GB at half time. Foolishly the Philly coaching staff allowed Bradley back on to the field just two plays after he wandered around looking like a drunk after colliding with Ernie Sims.

After the horror stories shown I've read from guys like Merril Hodge, and Dan Morgan I'm glad this is getting more emphasis.

Bradford deserves more praise than he'll get for his performance today, sure he was a little up and down, but he's throwing to guys who wouldn't be starting for just about anyone else in the NFL, without the best offensive line and he was facing a very good pass rushing defense.

The ruling that disallowed a touchdown from Calvin Johnson needs to be clarified for officials, players and fans. I didn't necessarily agree with the call, but he didn't exactly complete that catch perfectly either.

Still for all the foibles, poor play, bad prospects and boring moments I did realise something today and that's that the only thing worse than slightly boring NFL is no NFL. I don't care what it takes, they need to fix the issues they're having with the CBA the offseason is long enough without there being a strike.

Place holder for the MNF double header

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:05 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

didn't exactly complete the catch? What the **** else does he have do to? He got two feet and a knee down! I've seen people fumble the ball inches after breaking the plain and it counted, but this somehow isn't a catch?

This isn't following the rules, this is raping the game of football for a goddamn profit margin!

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:26 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

by rule it was called exactly right.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...call-was-right

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:34 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post

I can't believe you're actually defending this. Nothing anyone ever says about it will remove that W from the records, but you can't seriously be arguiing that that call looked and felt right to you.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 09-13-2010, 05:35 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it is right according to the rule. if the rule is appropriate is another discussion, but according to the rule, i felt it was right.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:43 AM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
it is right according to the rule. if the rule is appropriate is another discussion, but according to the rule, i felt it was right.
Why is it for another discussion? Thats a dumb thing to say, were all here to discuss things so lets discuss.

I dont care what the rule says he had the ball controlled in 2 hands then he was palming it with one and set it down to get up and celebrate.
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

no, because people are saying the Refs ****** up. they didnt. blame the rulebook, the refs made the right call, and according to the rules it was not a catch. if it shouldve been, is something else

Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 AM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He had control of the ball in his one hand, it was secure and under control, he got 2 feet down and a knee
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:00 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

but he lost it going down. it does definitely not look like he was letting it go voluntarily, he makes a weird hand motion just as it hits the ground, making the ground jarring it lose.

i mean would you rule it a catch if it was outside of the endzone or an incomplete pass because the ground jarred it lose? it wouldve been ruled the latter.

Last edited by Gay Ork Wang : 09-13-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:27 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was definitely the right call. Its right there in the book and we've seen it tons elf times over the past few years. Is the rule itself stupid? Yes. It definitely is. He clearly had possession in the end zone, that should be the play right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:31 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was the right call, but the rule needs to be worked on, which was more my point.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:32 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A guy who catches the ball in the air, comes down with two feet, has the ball in one hand with possession, then goes to the ground and falls on his ass, and still maintains possession... that is a catch. End of play. When he turns over and puts the ball on the ground to use the ball to get up, and then the ball squirts out... doesn't ******* matter. Play is over. It's a TD. The rule is ******* awful and just cost the Lions a win. I hate seeing ******** calls enforced on ******** rules. Why? Because that will happen in the playoffs or the ******* Super Bowl and a team that doesn't deserve to win will win, and a team that doesn't deserve to lose, will lose.

Does anyone understand the tuck rule? I still have no ******* clue how they ruled Tom Brady's fumble an incomplete pass when he ******* pump fakes, gets sacked and fumbles at the same time. Is it a tuck rule because he's Tom Brady? Like a roughing the passer because after Brady had his knee tore up, now no one can go near His feet? The Ravens got ****** over on a horseshit roughing the passer call last year because competition committee has more ******* rules that prohibits football from being a contact sport. You wanna stop the QB from getting hit? Make it 7-on-7 and forget all this ****.

The NFL has become convoluted with rules on top of rules on top of rules. It's made the game worse. The competition committee needs to take a ******* break, or start disposing of the 10 thousand rules on how to make a ******* catch. What ever happened to just having possession and two feet in? Or a but? Or a knee? Or a forearm? What happened to that? It was so simple back then. There was no confusion. There were no ******** reversals. You catch the ball, have possession, have two feet down, a knee down and a butt down... and that's not enough? WTF is wrong with people? It's common ******* sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 09-13-2010 at 06:36 AM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:46 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't approve of this thread. NO TEBOW!!!!! He was in the wildcat!!! Did you see his thighs? Gliding to ferocious first down runs and pass play trickery? He was tearing the swamp lands of Jacksonville up, like he has for the past 4 years. Amazing talent. The ******* wildcat packages!!! That Josh McD sure knows how to draft. Genius. Tebow? God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:52 AM    (permalink
McBain
Veteran

McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
A guy who catches the ball in the air, comes down with two feet, has the ball in one hand with possession, then goes to the ground and falls on his ass, and still maintains possession... that is a catch. End of play. When he turns over and puts the ball on the ground to use the ball to get up, and then the ball squirts out... doesn't ******* matter. Play is over. It's a TD. The rule is ******* awful and just cost the Lions a win. I hate seeing ******** calls enforced on ******** rules. Why? Because that will happen in the playoffs or the ******* Super Bowl and a team that doesn't deserve to win will win, and a team that doesn't deserve to lose, will lose.

Does anyone understand the tuck rule? I still have no ******* clue how they ruled Tom Brady's fumble an incomplete pass when he ******* pump fakes, gets sacked and fumbles at the same time. Is it a tuck rule because he's Tom Brady? Like a roughing the passer because after Brady had his knee tore up, now no one can go near His feet? The Ravens got ****** over on a horseshit roughing the passer call last year because competition committee has more ******* rules that prohibits football from being a contact sport. You wanna stop the QB from getting hit? Make it 7-on-7 and forget all this ****.

The NFL has become convoluted with rules on top of rules on top of rules. It's made the game worse. The competition committee needs to take a ******* break, or start disposing of the 10 thousand rules on how to make a ******* catch. What ever happened to just having possession and two feet in? Or a but? Or a knee? Or a forearm? What happened to that? It was so simple back then. There was no confusion. There were no ******** reversals. You catch the ball, have possession, have two feet down, a knee down and a butt down... and that's not enough? WTF is wrong with people? It's common ******* sense.
okay, now tell us how you really feel.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:19 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

it just really reminds me of the tuck rule, while not as important, basically same thing

Old 09-13-2010, 07:43 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The year everyone jumped off the "Arizona's going to break out" bandwagon they went to the Super Bowl.

The Texans remind me alot of that team. They're probably not Super Bowl bound, but in the NFL anything's possible really...Either way I think the Texans are the 2nd best team in their division...not that Titans.

Also, did anyone actually buy any of the negative stuff said about the Pats? I'll believe Goliath is dead when his head is placed before me cleanly detached from the body.

Was anyone else surprised at how often the Cowboys looked at Dez Bryant last night? The guy played what...3 games last year in his junior year of college...and I'm not sure he played all that much in the preseason either...I'd be shocked if he isn't the OROY. The guy is a beast.

Last edited by SenorGato : 09-13-2010 at 07:47 AM.
SenorGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:48 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone is going to look at the box score and assume Smith sucked but that just isn't the case. He had thrown what should have been a touchdown but the receiver stumbled so he did not get to the right spot and both interceptions were not entirely his fault. The first bounced right off of Crabtree's chest, it could not have been a better throw, and the second he ran a lazy route but it was still overthrown though.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
it just really reminds me of the tuck rule, while not as important, basically same thing
It's not. When there are other TD rules that allow for far sketchier TDs.

e.g. A runningback jumps into a pile, puts the ball over the line and then loses control of the ball. That's a TD.

Player running towards a pylon, jumps out of bounds, puts ball over pylon out of bounds...that's a TD.

But a guy catches a ball, has it with both hands, two steps, puts the ball up in the air with one hand in celebration of a great grab, falls on his ass (end of play!), then the ball squirts out when he gets up to celebrate... That's not a TD? In what universe.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Even by that definition, they got the call wrong. In what way did he not have maintained possession at any point of that play?

Quote:
If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.
He clearly was in full control of the ball the entire time. He palmed it with one hand and had full control of it before he got up. Touchdown!
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I don't think the rule was ever intended to judge situations like these. I mean this, for all intends and purposes was a catch. I'm sure you can go into the rulebook and by the strictest, most backwards reading of the rules can somehow justify it, but that's butchering the spirit of the game.

This was a bad call because the rule they cite was never intended to rule out such plays and if Lovie Smith really thinks this is 'obvious' then I will refrain from ever feeling anything but disgust for that man. It was a horrible call because the refs perverted the rulebook to make it, and I don't believe anyone, even bears fans, can see this play and hear the ruling and go "well that makes sense", because you just can't.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 09-13-2010, 08:23 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Put it this way - I doubt even the hardest of hardcore Bears fans would be complaining if it wasn't reviewed and was ruled a TD.

CJ made the play and brought it in. I've never seen a WR drop a pass and then get up and celebrate it, and I think CJ deserves a little bit of credit as a guy who probably knows when he's caught a football in his hands. He obviously felt it was a catch. The only time a WR has ever done something like this is when the sideline/endzone line is in question, which it obviously wasn't here.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bears know they lost, if anything this just helps the Lions in the long run, higher pick and more motivation

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Bears know they lost, if anything this just helps the Lions in the long run, higher pick and more motivation
I can understand motivation, but I don't think the Lions are short on high draft picks...

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 09-13-2010, 09:22 AM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't understand exactly how long you have to demonstrate possession going to the ground.

I mean, he came down with 2 feet, held the ball in the air one hand basically telling the ref he look I got it, came down with a knee, put his other hand on the ground, then after he had obviously shown possession he used the hand with the ball in it to get up. I mean, it almost looked like he set the ball on the ground on purpose. I mean, how many "football moves" do you have to complete for it to be a catch?

I don't think they go it right according to the rule, IMO he did demonstrate possession going to the ground, it wasn't until he was getting up that he lost it. Basically, they decided that "going to the ground" means falling on your ass, then turning over to get up, then putting your hands on the ground to push yourself up, then actually getting up. Clearly CJ did not have the ball when he got up so it wasn't a completed catch?

Last edited by XxXdragonXxX : 09-13-2010 at 09:29 AM.
XxXdragonXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:26 AM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really wish Kolb was healthy enough to play in the 2nd half yesterday. I think he could have gotten the offense going the same way Vick did (without all the running obviously). Vick's passes were less accurate than Kolb's were, but like you mentioned Vick's legs saved him on MANY occasions which is what everyone sees.

The thing that kinda sucks is with Vick most likely starting next week against Detroit with Kolb injured, he could have a very good game passing against the lions' secondary, and everyone will still be calling for him to be the starter even more.