Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty much in favor of sitting any rookie QB a year unless you don't have any other choice or he just flat out earns the job.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:25 PM    (permalink
hawkeye123
Veteran

hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hawkeye123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clausen will prove his haters wrong.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye123 View Post
In the long run I agree but not this year.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Day One Pick
Veteran

Day One Pick is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Day One Pick is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Day One Pick is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Day One Pick is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Day One Pick is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Day One Pick is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Day One Pick is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Day One Pick is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Day One Pick is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Day One Pick is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Day One Pick is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The QB on their roster who will retire with the most impressive career isn't Moore or Clausen. Tony Pike will be the starter by week 3 next season.
Day One Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
I'm pretty much in favor of sitting any rookie QB a year unless you don't have any other choice or he just flat out earns the job.
I disagree completely. Unless it's a situation like Favre/Rodgers or McNabb/Kolb where there's a good long time veteran starter then throw the high draft pick in right away.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:23 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
I disagree completely. Unless it's a situation like Favre/Rodgers or McNabb/Kolb where there's a good long time veteran starter then throw the high draft pick in right away.
For every Marino and Big Ben who played great as a rookie, there are several David Carr's who get beat up so badly early in their careers that they become gun shy later on.

It's really a situation by situation basis for me. Someone like Clausen who played a lot in college in a pro style system (ducks and looks around for YFS) on a pro team where they can (if they get out of their own way with playcalling) run the ball well behind a good-great o-line, I say play him.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:37 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye123 View Post
No he won't.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:46 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaoww View Post
Besides the one of Quinn grabbing that guy's crotch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
On man, I've never seen that one. That one would be worse.

You have now. What is it with Notre Dame QBs and embarrassing pictures?

Last edited by boknows34 : 09-20-2010 at 07:48 PM.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:58 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This isn't a bad move by any stretch. Clausen has improved every day he's been under centre and he's been a great team mate, not even a whisper or declension despite Florio suggesting otherwise.

This season is going to tank and it's largely due to the labour issues the Panthers haven't spent any money on upgrading the areas they sorely needed to.

It sucks but it's life.

The team as a whole is the youngest in the NFL IIRC and the Panthers may have been competitive if everything came together and still might but it's just not there.

The move is a good one, it'll force the coaching staff into smarter game plans something that was obviously lacking the past two weeks and hopefully provide a spark for the offensive line to play better than they did in past weeks. The Offensive line hasn't been great but Moore was holding the ball too long making them look worse than they are, Moore is something I can't explain he looked great last year, did everything right, he's faltering now.

My support is behind Clausen and I'm happy to support him for 2 years at least behind center before I declare "he won't prove anyone wrong" like some mouth breathers like to. He's in a familiar offense with good run game support he can't do any worse than Moore did the first two weeks. Cincinnati has a good secondary so it's a big test, but based on his familiarity with the offense Carolina uses (he used the same on at Notre D) he shouldn't need as much coddling as most rookies.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:02 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
For every Marino and Big Ben who played great as a rookie, there are several David Carr's who get beat up so badly early in their careers that they become gun shy later on.

It's really a situation by situation basis for me. Someone like Clausen who played a lot in college in a pro style system (ducks and looks around for YFS) on a pro team where they can (if they get out of their own way with playcalling) run the ball well behind a good-great o-line, I say play him.
You can just as easily argue that David Carr sucked ass from the start. It's no coincidence that the guy who replaced him when he finally got hurt ended up moving the ball really well, and that Matt Schaub is now lighting it up. Sure, the offensive line has gotten better, but most of the time when there are consistent, season-long or more protection issues, at least half of the blame has to lie with the quarterback. Maybe he's not mobile enough to step up in the pocket, maybe he isn't making reads quickly enough, maybe he doesn't have enough faith in his protection and leaves the pocket too early(as a former OL that was a big pet peeve. I can't block the DE in front of me if he knows where the QB is and I don't). For whatever reason, it seems to be the case. Look at the improvement in Dallas' offense after switching to Romo from Bledsoe. Look at how much better Philly's offense looked with Vick running it than Kolb.

Even on the Bears, look at how bad that offensive line is and then look at how few sacks have been given up so far. Jay is insane at avoiding sacks. Orton isn't even that bad at it, but the difference is huge and can be seen easily.

Anyway I agree with GB, I think that some guys have it, and some guys don't. I'd rather find out right away and cut my losses after 2-3 years than have him sit for 2, then all of a sudden he's only started for a season or 2 and it's time to renew his contract but we're not sure if he's ever gonna fix his stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:29 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
You can just as easily argue that David Carr sucked ass from the start. It's no coincidence that the guy who replaced him when he finally got hurt ended up moving the ball really well, and that Matt Schaub is now lighting it up. Sure, the offensive line has gotten better, but most of the time when there are consistent, season-long or more protection issues, at least half of the blame has to lie with the quarterback. Maybe he's not mobile enough to step up in the pocket, maybe he isn't making reads quickly enough, maybe he doesn't have enough faith in his protection and leaves the pocket too early(as a former OL that was a big pet peeve. I can't block the DE in front of me if he knows where the QB is and I don't). For whatever reason, it seems to be the case. Look at the improvement in Dallas' offense after switching to Romo from Bledsoe. Look at how much better Philly's offense looked with Vick running it than Kolb.

Even on the Bears, look at how bad that offensive line is and then look at how few sacks have been given up so far. Jay is insane at avoiding sacks. Orton isn't even that bad at it, but the difference is huge and can be seen easily.

Anyway I agree with GB, I think that some guys have it, and some guys don't. I'd rather find out right away and cut my losses after 2-3 years than have him sit for 2, then all of a sudden he's only started for a season or 2 and it's time to renew his contract but we're not sure if he's ever gonna fix his stuff.
I tend to agree with this sentiment. Word is that Fox win lose or draw this season is leaving and it's apparently mutual the brass doesn't want him 100% and he doesn't want to be there 100%.

He gives Clausen a shot and the organization finds out of he can play or not. If he can and he plays well even if his stat line isn't great they can promote Davidson, and either promote Scherer (QB coach) or another guy from that NE offense tree.

Clausen sucks terribly gut everyone not on the defensive side of the ball and use the first round pick next year (likely a top 10 anyway) to draft whomever the hell they want at QB. The offensive line has talent even if they haven't done well without Otah as yet and a good set of running backs anyway.

Carolina if nothing else has talent on both sides of the ball and solid pieces to build around so if all else fails they can bring in someone who only has to put it together and find that QB and it's ok, if that QB is on the roster then might as well find out now in a season that's already tanking.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:20 PM    (permalink
armageddon
Veteran

armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.armageddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish Clausen g/l, but I am sure glad the Rams took Bradford.
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

With Rookie QBs I think the only proven is that it's something of a crapshoot. See how either looks in 3 years before making judgment imo.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Thecollegedropout
Veteran

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
What the ****? That is gross, if you are the starting QB at Notre Dame that should get you kicked off the team and/or capital punishment.
Well someone did give him a shiner on campus............
Thecollegedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Location: TJ Warren is a better and more productive player than Jabari Parker
SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post

Weis' ND offense mightve toed the line more than some would think when in comes to pro principles, but in fairness the Carolina offense is basically a high school offense. Run, run, run, run, lob the ball to the 1 good receiver on your team, run.
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:26 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Weis' ND offense mightve toed the line more than some would think when in comes to pro principles, but in fairness the Carolina offense is basically a high school offense. Run, run, run, run, lob the ball to the 1 good receiver on your team, run.
Well that is what you'd think they'd do. Doesn't seem to be the case though.....Maybe that changes with a rookie in at QB.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:42 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Location: TJ Warren is a better and more productive player than Jabari Parker
SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We ran on first down on the first 9 possessions against the Bucs. They pass when they lose the lead. Now, the OC has the intelligence of a high schooler so he abandons the run too early but the preference is to go to ground 60+% of the time

In Moore's starts last year the breakdown was:

20 pass, 33 run
30 pass, 24 run (loss)
33 pass, 40 run
20 pass, 46 run
23 pass, 37 run
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:48 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

This year it hasn't been close to that which is a shame. I think they're missing Otah more than we know and the line, whatever the stat sheet says has been shuffled a rotated a little bit on game day.

From the centre left it's solid as a rock but from the RG to RT position it's lacking a little firepower, Otah should help change that but we'll have to wait and see.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:07 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
You have now. What is it with Notre Dame QBs and embarrassing pictures?

Brady Quinn approves of this post

Also...

Old 09-21-2010, 05:07 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armageddon View Post
I wish Clausen g/l, but I am sure glad the Rams took Bradford.
well yes they're obviously not of the same caliber. That's like saying I wish some second round DT all the best but I'm glad the Lions drafted Suh.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
wait all three of us? yeah. i can't wait till we're proved wrong either. that would SO serve us right for not licking the nuts of every notre dame qb who comes out.

otherwise, all the morons who think that he's better than brady quinn can make the same excuses they made for quinn until it's finally clear that he's garbage as a player.

ad hom sure is fun.
there is a difference between not licking nuts and blind, irrational hate. Which is what many show at this point.

hyperboles are a great amount of fun as well.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
to be fair, i was hyperbolizing to enhance the ad hom.
you've just blown my mind.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Soooo yeah....Jimmy gonna win.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Miaoww
Veteran

Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
well yes they're obviously not of the same caliber. That's like saying I wish some second round DT all the best but I'm glad the Lions drafted Suh.
Huh. I must have watched two different QBs in college then. I'd have taken Clausen over Bradford.
Miaoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaoww View Post
Huh. I must have watched two different QBs in college then. I'd have taken Clausen over Bradford.
which is why you aren't employed by an NFL team.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC