Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:27 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm assuming they'll just promote a position coach from within into the OC role so they keep the same playbook.

You can't have a new playbook now, it's too late. The whole team, not just the qb, has to learn it. It will be the same playbook, just a different guy calling the plays and making the adjustments.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I'm assuming they'll just promote a position coach from within into the OC role so they keep the same playbook.

You can't have a new playbook now, it's too late. The whole team, not just the qb, has to learn it. It will be the same playbook, just a different guy calling the plays and making the adjustments.
makes sense, it still blows monkey balls. its amazing that the 9ers carried out exactly what not to do with a rookie QB and Alex Smith still hung himself in there and is still trying to succeed. You gotta applaud that guy

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
I feel like I can count us in a lot more games with Fitz under center. We could definitely have a win if he started agianst Miami. I don't know how Edwards was so easily given the job in preseason, but I'm glad they weren't stubborn about it. I can definitely see a couple of wins in the next 6 games.
At least the ypc is getting a little better but you and i both know there will be a new QB there next year. Want to go the Mike Vick route or the Locker/Luck route?
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:35 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
At least the ypc is getting a little better but you and i both know there will be a new QB there next year. Want to go the Mike Vick route or the Locker/Luck route?
I wanted to go the Vick route last year. I would love it now, but I think it's highly unlikely.

I know we need a QB. Fitz is just better for now. A new QB would be great in the draft. It just sucks having no top talent at most positions.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:53 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Totally agree on Thomas Jones. The guy just keeps putting up 1k seasons, earning the respect of coaches and teammates, then being shown the door. I don't get it. In NY - Greene is looking like the "plodder" many claimed Jones was when he was allowed to walk. The splitting of carries between Charles & Jones is clearly working for the Chiefs and it's probably safe to assume the different styles makes the work easier for both guys. It sucks a big one for my fantasy team but Haley doesn't seem to care about that.

So much for that strong start by the Tampa D. Facing Cleveland and Carolina sure can make a team look brilliant.

Saying the Chargers slow start is cause for concern seems silly to me, though. It seems like that's the case every year. I'll believe they lose their death grip on the division when the title is handed out, especially since there's a good chance the Chiefs lose two in a row coming off their bye. Indy & Houston back to back . . . yikes. Chiefs fans must be thrilled to have Romeo in the fold heading into Indy. If only they still had Ty Law on the roster, too. ;)

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Totally agree on Thomas Jones. The guy just keeps putting up 1k seasons, earning the respect of coaches and teammates, then being shown the door. I don't get it. In NY - Greene is looking like the "plodder" many claimed Jones was when he was allowed to walk. The splitting of carries between Charles & Jones is clearly working for the Chiefs and it's probably safe to assume the different styles makes the work easier for both guys. It sucks a big one for my fantasy team but Haley doesn't seem to care about that.

So much for that strong start by the Tampa D. Facing Cleveland and Carolina sure can make a team look brilliant.

Saying the Chargers slow start is cause for concern seems silly to me, though. It seems like that's the case every year. I'll believe they lose their death grip on the division when the title is handed out, especially since there's a good chance the Chiefs lose two in a row coming off their bye. Indy & Houston back to back . . . yikes. Chiefs fans must be thrilled to have Romeo in the fold heading into Indy. If only they still had Ty Law on the roster, too. ;)
This man has been playing like a young Ty Law.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:24 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
patience ran out in SF, they just canned their OC
And everybody in SF was rejoicing that this yr. was the 1st time in 8 freaking yrs. they've had the same OC 2 yrs. in a row. That's what happens when you count your chickens...

Rayes offense was 2nd worst in the NFL after 3 games in points/game, only Carolina scores less.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:05 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

its off topic but u got all the answer around here so, our NT in our 3-4 gets blocked by one man every play can that be a direct correlation to why our defense is the worst in the leauge?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
its off topic but u got all the answer around here so, our NT in our 3-4 gets blocked by one man every play can that be a direct correlation to why our defense is the worst in the leauge?
I need to evaluate it before I can answer that. I gotta see if its a 1 gap or 2 gap 3-4 front.

I haven't really put the eyeball on Hasslet's scheme yet. If the defense is playing that poorly, rarely its just one guy.

Are teams running all over the Skins?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:15 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I need to evaluate it before I can answer that. I gotta see if its a 1 gap or 2 gap 3-4 front.

I haven't really put the eyeball on Hasslet's scheme yet. If the defense is playing that poorly, rarely its just one guy.

Are teams running all over the Skins?
oh yeah we gotta have one of the worst run D's in the NFL i think it just gets over shadowed because our pass d is so horrible
Old 09-27-2010, 01:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
oh yeah we gotta have one of the worst run D's in the NFL i think it just gets over shadowed because our pass d is so horrible
Hmmm.

I'll try to catch the Eagles/Skins game this week and I'll try to study that defense.

I'll post my thoughts in the Skins forum.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
And everybody in SF was rejoicing that this yr. was the 1st time in 8 freaking yrs. they've had the same OC 2 yrs. in a row. That's what happens when you count your chickens...

Rayes offense was 2nd worst in the NFL after 3 games in points/game, only Carolina scores less.
With the talent they have i'm leaning towards blaming the coaching. Every time i watch them it seems they're enamored to throwing to backup TEs and FBs.

As for Peyton Hillis running for 144 against the Ravens i'm still scratching my head on that one, tells me their O-line is really good or Hillis is a lot better than anyone ever gave him credit for. Why again did Denver give up on him?
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:09 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
With the talent they have i'm leaning towards blaming the coaching. Every time i watch them it seems they're enamored to throwing to backup TEs and FBs.

As for Peyton Hillis running for 144 against the Ravens i'm still scratching my head on that one, tells me their O-line is really good or Hillis is a lot better than anyone ever gave him credit for. Why again did Denver give up on him?
I thought Hillis looked like the best runner on their team by a bunch through preseason. The Cleveland Oline wasn't really a question mark heading into the year. They are a definitely a good group, so I think it's both. Still a head-scratcher to put up a game like that against the uber stingy Ravens, that's for sure.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:40 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Whether or not it's a one gap or two gap scheme, if your NT is getting blocked one on one consistently then it's going to be a disaster for your run defense. That means guards are able to get up to your linebackers cleanly, and IIRC your inside backers are undersized to begin with.

Sucks that Haynesworth is being such a turd. There's no reason you can't be a star NT in the 3-4, especially if you run a one gap scheme like Dallas does. Just look at Jay Ratliff.

The NT really is the cog that makes the entire 3-4 defense go. A lot of teams are going to regret letting Mt. Cody slip all the way to the second round.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:48 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
I thought Hillis looked like the best runner on their team by a bunch through preseason. The Cleveland Oline wasn't really a question mark heading into the year. They are a definitely a good group, so I think it's both. Still a head-scratcher to put up a game like that against the uber stingy Ravens, that's for sure.
The Browns gave him a lot of carries, blocked it up nicely, and let Hillis do the work. He went downhill and didn't do anything flashy. The gameplan was nice and executed very well. Hillis is no joke, but he is the kind of back who needs touches to get going and keep rolling.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reading the Thomas Jones discussion made me think. Has their ever been a RB that has rushed for 1,000 yards with 3 different teams? Jones hasn't done it. But I guess he has a shot this year.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:13 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
makes sense, it still blows monkey balls. its amazing that the 9ers carried out exactly what not to do with a rookie QB and Alex Smith still hung himself in there and is still trying to succeed. You gotta applaud that guy
I have huge amounts of respect for the way Alex Smith has handled himself throughout his tenure in San Fran. You are absolutely right in saying that they did everything, literally everything wrong when developing a young QB. Throughout his entire career, he has been blamed and **** upon by just about everyone for the failures of the Niners, when in reality that organization deserves most of the blame. There isn't anyone who could of succeeded under those circumstances, and here he goes with ANOTHER coordinator. Best part about it all? He's just shut his mouth. There are a ton of NFL players who could learn several lessons from the way Alex Smith has conducted himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Reading the Thomas Jones discussion made me think. Has their ever been a RB that has rushed for 1,000 yards with 3 different teams? Jones hasn't done it. But I guess he has a shot this year.
Rickey Watters is the only player to rush for 1,000 yards for 3 different teams.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys, Alex Smith sucks, why are we still trying to make this into something it isn't??

He's smart in a classroom, but he's dumbfounded as a football player, with a mediocre arm, and spotty accuracy. He can run a little bit.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Guys, Alex Smith sucks, why are we still trying to make this into something it isn't??

He's smart in a classroom, but he's dumbfounded as a football player, with a mediocre arm, and spotty accuracy. He can run a little bit.
I'm inclined to agree. He shows flashes, like against the Saints last week. If he were in his 2nd, maybe 3rd year, that game would be a really good sign.

Unfortunately, he's in his sixth. Showing flashes stopped cutting it years ago. He either needs to cement himself as a strong starting QB in this league by the end of this season or the 9ers should look at Locker, Mallett or Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even SMith's "flashes" were him throwing up a lame duck that Vernon Davis went up and snagged, hitting a wide open Crabtree, and checking down to Gore running in the flats.

After that, it was missed short swing passes, high throws that got tipped into interceptions, etc.

I felt like Alex's "best game of his career" was more poor tackling and coverage by the Saints.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While I think he's the perfect example of how not to bring along a young QB I think it's time the 49ers cut their losses well and truly where he's concerned.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

I think if a guy is ever going to be a great QB, he'll get it eventually. Hell, Drew Brees looked terrible for a while too, but at some point, changing situations or not, we're going to see significant stretches of brilliance.

You can't ruin a great QB unless he gets hurt.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:04 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

You're right, his performance on the field has been underwhelming, and if you check back and actually read my post, you will notice that I said absolutely nothing about his actual on the field play. I praised his character as an individual because there are 20 examples I can name off the top of my head who handled themselves horribly in much better situations then Smith did, but all he's done since he's been in the league is shut his mouth, take his lumps (some deserved, many not), and worked hard to try and turn that franchise around. I mean, the franchise didn't even give him a legitimate #1 target until last season... say what you will about Vernon Davis, but he was raw coming out and he wasn't what a young QB like Smith needed. The offensive line was atrocious and he didn't even have a solid defense to lean on like Flacco did.

I agree that he isn't a great QB by any means, but the way he's handled himself and the adversity surrounding himself is very admirable.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:09 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I think if a guy is ever going to be a great QB, he'll get it eventually. Hell, Drew Brees looked terrible for a while too, but at some point, changing situations or not, we're going to see significant stretches of brilliance.

You can't ruin a great QB unless he gets hurt.
This is idiotic. Of course you can ruin a QB without getting him hurt. Constantly switching OC's and system prevents him from ever settling into a comfortable situation. Not giving him an oline can absolutely destroy a QB's confidence and leave him gun-shy (see Carr, David and Edwards, Trent). Not giving him adequate playmakers at skill positions can leave him with nowhere to throw the ball and no one to make plays. A porous defense leaves a young QB on the field longer and constantly puts the pressure on him to throw the ball and play catch up. Letting the media continually blame him for the front office's inadequacies can leave him questioning himself and his methods, which is the worst thing that can happen to a QB, especially since moxy and confidence are so important to the position.

Guess who had all of those things happen to him? Alex Smith. Guess who had none of those things happen to him? Aaron Rodgers. You want to see how you can ruin a young QB? Look no further then those two. And if you think they would of evolved into the players they are now in reversed situations, then you should probably start wearing a helmet around because its only a matter of time before you hurt yourself.
Quote: