Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 07-20-2011, 11:30 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Even without re-signing our own guys we're like $18 million over that $120 million cap. lol.

Cap hell sucks.
Not only that, but teams that are already playoff caliber teams, like the Saints and Eagles both, have 25+ million dollars worth of cap room to work with. Well, the Saints free up 12 by cutting Bush but still. Just lets you know where we really stand. We have no chance at winning a SB this year unless Romo gets on a tear like Rodgers last year.

Our defense just isn't that good, and the interior of the line still needs work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:39 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Even without re-signing our own guys we're like $18 million over that $120 million cap. lol.

Cap hell sucks.
How certain are you of where were at cap wise? This always seems to be the great unknown. I anticipate a lot of cuts by us to help free up space. Davis, Newman, Barber and Williams.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:29 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cutting Williams is actually a substansial cap hit. For a team that is probably going to have more cap issues in the foreseeable future, that's too much dead money. Even though, I'd love to show him the door. It could happen, but I dont think it will. And Newman probably isnt going anywhere, given our cash situation and lack of a replacement.

We're over, and over by a lot. We account for the highest paid team in the league. But we're certainly going to get under enough to re-sign our own guys, via cuts and the restructuring of contracts.They'd certainly at least like to keep Free, Bowen, and Kosier. Free and Bowen probably wont come cheap, though. Obviously Free wont...he's looking at a HUGE pay day. And good luck if he hits the open market with all that money out there. We're going to have to offer something pretty lucrative for him, and right away. I'm not worried about losing him at all, it's just going to cost a lot. After that, we may be left in a bad place to sign other free agents. It may not be so bad, if Free's base salary is rather low with bonus' and such, because otherwise he's going to be eating up a huge portion of our available funds. It's not impossible, but Dallas is going to have to get really creative to find the funds to compete for the better FAs. Obviously we have no chance at Aso or anything like that. But maybe we can work some magic and still find a way to land one of the better S out there, at least. Ideally Huff or Elam. I say those two, because Weddle is a high priority for San Diego. Landry could be had as well, but he's actually pretty damn overrated and will command a big contract as well. Huff is going to get payed out the ass too, though. We could be in for a rough FA period, honestly. But on the flip side, Dallas has found ways to make things work in FA before.

edit...S really is scary right now when you really look at it. Sensy's probably gone, he's nothing more than average to above average anyway, but better than anything else we have. Our current safeties are Barry Church, Danny Mccray, and AOA. We're kind of up ****'s creek. I hope AOA pans out, but the guy isnt ready to start and the other two are ST players. We have no starting caliber safety on the roster right now. lol. Freaking scary.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 07-21-2011 at 09:47 AM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:11 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The name Bradie James was thrown out there too as a possible cap casualty. I don't see it personally, but you never know.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
The name Bradie James was thrown out there too as a possible cap casualty. I don't see it personally, but you never know.
Bradie would be way down on my list of guys to cut, he's one of the few steady performers on defense and is a leader in the locker room. If we cut him we're adding a major hole in the middle of our defense, and with the unit we currently have we really can't afford that.

He's got 1 more year on his deal with Lee and Carter waiting in the wings, let him finish it out and we can make a decision on him next off-season when the young guys are a little more seasoned.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:31 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Calm down guys.....this is why all the speculation is for naught. CBA's not done..details aren't out. Here's a rumor that bodes very well for our boys in free agency.

Quote:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/...-cap-surfacing

Dan Graziano from ESPN's NFC East blog is one of many sources to pick up rumors that a soft cap may be in the works in the CBA:

Multiple reports have surfaced today that the new deal will protect veteran players from being "cap casualties" the way they have been in past years -- that there will be some procedure in place that allows for a "soft" cap, at least in the early years of the deal, and allows teams to keep veterans who might otherwise have to be cut to help the team get under the cap.

This of course could potentially be good news for teams that are currently projected to be over the cap - and have the financial wherewithal to make use of such a provision. It also reveals an interesting twist in the still unresolved revenue sharing dilemma between the big market and small market teams: the hard (and increased) salary floor is forcing the conservative spenders to up the ante, while the big boys get a little more breathing room from the constrictions of a rigid salary cap.

Graziano was quick to dub this the "Jerry Jones Rule", and I believe he's not far off the mark. Two years ago, Jerry Jones was fined at least $100,000 by the league for violating a gag order on labor issues during a visit to Minneapolis in support of the Viking's quest for a new stadium when he said that revenue sharing is "on its way out."

Lance Zierlein of The Houston Chronicle reported earlier today that the salary cap in the new CBA may look very different from what it looked like in the previous CBA.

Ive learned from people close to the negotiations that we may not see the massive cap casualties that weve expected. In fact, there may not be any penalties for teams who are over the $120 million dollar threshold. What that would allow teams to do is hang onto veterans, if they so choose, without penalty. What was less clear to me was whether or not well actually even see a salary cap. It is my understanding that for the first few years of this deal, the "cap" on spending could be soft or even non-existant [sic].

Details of what all of this means are still murky, but if the high priced veterans like Marion Barber, Terence Newman, Leonard Davis and perhaps even Roy Williams won't count against the cap, not only would they be unlikely to be released immediately, it also opens up all sorts of possibilities for re-signing our own free agents and acquiring a free agent or two from outside. Or three or four.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:39 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have a bunch of guys I want to cut, but just isn't the year for them all. Roy & Newman I both want off this team this year, their more liabilities then anything. But Roy is too big a cap hit, and look at our CB's without Newman.

As bad as he is, we can't go into the season with a secondary with 0 safeties, literally ZERO, then to boot we'd have Jenkins, Scandrick, and Alan Ball at CB. Lol. That's a laughable secondary. You guys know the Lions have a better secondary then that right now?

We'll have enough to re-sign Bowen, Free, and bring in either Huff or Landry. After that, it's pushing it.

Quote:
Old 07-26-2011, 11:49 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

I heard on NFL Network that Leonard Davis was told he was gonna be cut Thursday. No surprise here.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Say hello to Barber/Newman/Roy/Davis/Columbo

Also Romo and Miles and someone else has clauses to turn their bonus's into cap over the life of their contract I believe. That should be close to 10m off the books for 2011 right away. Money isn't going to be a big issue for us. We knew this was coming I expect we'll have a plan in place when the number is set.
yes I just quoted myself. 4/5 ain't bad

Quote:
Sources confirm that receiver Roy Williams, running back Marion Barber, guard Leonard Davis and kicker Kris Brown have all been informed that they won't be invited to training camp. The club initially included tackle Marc Colombo in this group, but as of Tuesday afternoon his status had not been resolved.
Quote:
The Cowboys are expected to create another $17.5 million by restructuring the contracts of Tony Romo, DeMarcus Ware and Miles Austin later in the week. Together, these reductions will give the club the operating room it needs to sign its own free agents _ Doug Free tops the list _ fill out its roster and be active in the free agent market.
dmn blog

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty

Last edited by thule : 07-27-2011 at 09:09 AM.
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:36 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Didn't see a new FA thread, but it looks like Casey Hampton won't be returning to Pittsburgh next year. He's due 8 million next year, is coming off a torn ACL, and 35, he's a goner. Maybe a quick fix for us? Kris Jenkins still had a ton left in the tank for the Jets in his mid 30's and I saw Casey play earlier this year, he's still a beast.

I don't think you can have him dominate the snap count all game. but with him rotating with Brent-Price, as well as Ratliff in the DE rotation full time, I like that depth alot more. Hampton at least strengthens the run game by a good portion.

I think the ACL injury just makes him cheaper. I don't want to break the bank, not at all, but he adds some beef up front for us which we could use.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 AM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Casey would just block the path of a younger player...we need to think next year and beyond.
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:16 AM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let say we would pick up Nicks in FA what would u do with our 1st round pick?
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:42 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Someone make a new thread this one is for last year :P
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlopez1 View Post
CB if not another G.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:19 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlopez1 View Post
You'd think corner...but depending on value we could still go with DeCastro haha...

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:26 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

I guess we can just change the name of the thread to 2013. Two guys that crossed my mind lately were Casey Hampton and Richard Seymour.

Both will hit FA, both want to play a few more seasons. Seymour was playing great before he got injured, Hampton is still healthy and isn't playing like the old Hampton but on running downs he's still a massive upgrade to fill the lanes.

Signing 1 of those guys up front shouldn't be too much on a 1 or 2 year deal. Guess it depends what we do with Ratliff, or how some of our other DE's develop. But in looking at cheap options, I'm all for guys like them. We have a window of maybe 3 years to try and make a legit SB run before Romo regresses so I'm all in on guys like Ed Reed and Seymour.

More then likely those guys get injured, and you can't go out and sign a bunch of old guys, but if you told me we could get Ed Reed and Seymour for 2013 at cost effective deals, no way we don't improve with those two. Just some options though.

Quote: