Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:34 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotRickJames View Post
Matt Stafford says hi
My bad, forgot Detroit was in there lol.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Depends on who you ask in regard to Oher. I had him as surefire. Had him rated - easily - as the Top OT. I know a lot of other people did too. It was the media and stupid scouts who just had way too long to think about him that brought his stock down.

That's not really the case though. I'm sure some people did on this site, but if he was such a surefire elite tackle he wouldn't have been sitting there by the time the 23rd pick came around. How often to surefire, can't miss, elite LT prospects last that long? He had plenty of questions and risk, from alot of teams, Detroit isn't the only one wishing they had taken him earlier.

If that draft was done again, every team would have taken Oher over the player they took except probably the Jets with Sanchez and TB with Freeman. Why should we beat Detroit up so much over that pick when nearly 20 other teams are probably regretting not taking him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
And if you're really sold that they shouldn't have picked Oher, here is a list of other guys I personally would have preferred them see over taking Oher.

That's a bit unfair though. If you wanted to play the hindsight game you could make any and every team look bad. If you took every team, you can look at who they took, and what else was available you could find a much better pick.

You could do it for 1st rd picks for tons of teams too. Detroit isn't perfect and isn't gonna make every pick hit, but considering how bad the roster was a few years ago and how much talent has been picked up recently it's hard for me to knock them too much for passing up a guy that nearly every other team passed on as well.

Maybe all those other teams didn't need a franchise LT as bad as Detroit, but if they knew he was going to be anywhere near as good as he was, he would have been gone by pick 2 no question about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:11 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
That's not really the case though. I'm sure some people did on this site, but if he was such a surefire elite tackle he wouldn't have been sitting there by the time the 23rd pick came around.
There is no such thing as a surefire elite anything in the NFL draft.

Quote:
How often to surefire, can't miss, elite LT prospects last that long?
Marcus McNeil lasted until the second round in 2006. He was taken one pick after the Jets blew it by passing on him for Kellen Clemens.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:41 AM    (permalink
Poz51
Pro Bowler

Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Poz51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
Andrew Luck would be soooo good with Crabtree, Davis and Gore.
Get off my Luck...
Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can have him. Locker is much better
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:20 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post

Marcus McNeil lasted until the second round in 2006. He was taken one pick after the Jets blew it by passing on him for Kellen Clemens.
Jets' first two picks of '06:

D'Brickashaw Ferguson at 4 overall
Nick Mangold at 29
Old 10-05-2010, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I had Oher as my top tackle, and was the guy I wanted on the Saints to team with Jammal BRown.

I honestly agree with nepg there.

That said, PEttigrew looks pretty nice right now, he's like another linemen on running downs, and he's developing into a nice weapon in the passing game. Still would have ran to the podium with the Oher pick.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:22 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Whatever. Then if he was an ELITE tackle, he wouldn't have been passed by so many teams. You mean to tell me there are no elite tackles that come out of the draft, ever?

And Marcus McNeill wasn't anywhere near the same level of an elite LT, that doesn't mean those guys won't end up any good. Doug Free lasted until the late 4th round, what's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
I had Oher as my top tackle, and was the guy I wanted on the Saints to team with Jammal BRown.
As I said, I'm sure people here did have him as their top tackle, but obviously NFL personnel felt differently about him and their were legit concerns. It's not like he was just passed by a few teams ie Michael Crabtree, and that's not even taking into consideration he was a position of heavy demand like LT. Obviously he wasn't viewed as the top tackle by the 20+ teams that passed on him, or a franchise LT, because if he was do you really think they would pass him up with that great of value?

Hindsight is great, but everyone here always bashes Detroit in this situation like a number of teams probably don't regret not taking him.

Quote:

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 10-05-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I honestly thought Oher was a no brainer for Detroit at that point. Oher in the top 10 would be risky business, but I definitely felt he was worth a mid 1st rounder.

I liked Andre Smith (yikes), Monroe, then Oher. Wasn't a fan of Jason Smith, thought he was too small.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:34 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

I would like a few Rams fans to tell me how Jason Smith has faired on the right side now that he's healthy. Bradford has been pretty clean lately, so I imagine both Saffold and Jason Smith are doing well. Doesn't really matter that Smith is on the right and Saffold is on the left as long as both guys are playing well.

I still felt the athleticism of Jason Smith was worth the #2 pick, he could really get up to that 2nd level better then any of the other tackles IMO, and looked like he was athletic enough to shut down any pass rusher once he developed.

I had Andre Smith as my #1 guy if you took out character and work ethic, that into consideration he was my #2. From a purely talent and dominant standpoint I thought if Smith got his head on straight he could be a HOF type of LT.

Quote:
Old 10-05-2010, 02:40 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I would like a few Rams fans to tell me how Jason Smith has faired on the right side now that he's healthy. Bradford has been pretty clean lately, so I imagine both Saffold and Jason Smith are doing well. Doesn't really matter that Smith is on the right and Saffold is on the left as long as both guys are playing well.

I still felt the athleticism of Jason Smith was worth the #2 pick, he could really get up to that 2nd level better then any of the other tackles IMO, and looked like he was athletic enough to shut down any pass rusher once he developed.

I had Andre Smith as my #1 guy if you took out character and work ethic, that into consideration he was my #2. From a purely talent and dominant standpoint I thought if Smith got his head on straight he could be a HOF type of LT.
I'm gonna disagree on Jason Smith only bc I feel that if you're #2 overall, you gotta be on the left side. The fact that he couldn't play LT and got moved to RT and supplanted by a 2nd rounder at LT to me is very disappointing. Great for them that Saffold has panned out for them at LT, but that's independent of the fact that Smith has failed for them as a LT of the future.

I felt the same way about Andre as you did. I thought he was just being your typical fat lazy OL/DT prospect who disappoints at the combine. But when you put on the tape, the guy was amazing.

It's a shame that fatso can't get his head on straight.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:27 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye123 View Post
Saying the Lions are "miles" better then the 49ers right now may be true, but the 49ers have a more overall talented and complete team.

Singletary is good coach, he brings the best out of his players, his biggest mistake was to try and spread his football philosophy to the offense. He brought in an old school coach in Jimmy Raye and told him how he wanted him to run the offense.

This smashmouth type offense really just hasn't been effective or balanced. 50% of the plays are running it up the gut with Frank Gore. Any quarterback will struggle in this type of offense.

Singletary and the 49ers made a big step, and that was getting rid of the old 1960's offensive mastermind who was running the offense, and bringing in a more modern spread it out/balanced offensive attack in Mike Johnson.

The 49ers will end up having a best record out of these four teams, and it won't be very close.
Excatly. When i see Singletary, I see Cowher. A tough, passionate, emotional leader of men. Cowher had visions of a tough, physical, run- first team also. But he was smart enough to hire smart, innovative coordinators(LeBeau, Whizz among others) and let them scheme, while incoperating his overall vision for his team. And the Steelers are still using that formula today. I think Sing realized too late that Jimmy Raye wasn't the answer. And he's been slow to recognize that personel changes have been needed(Michael Lewis should have been benched a LONG time ago, Rachal needs to be next). I just think Sing needs to keep his emotions in check tighten up his game management and the tide will start to turn. And maybe tell Manusky to get away from that prevent D that seems to always let QBs march down the field on us for game-winning drives.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:47 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It isn't necessary that Sing be a X's and O's type of guy, but it is IMPERATIVE for him to recognize his short-cummings in that department and hire the RIGHT ppl, scheme-wise to put him in the best position to win every Sunday. Raye wasn't the answer on the offensive side, and the jury's still out on Manusky, who isn't aggressive enough for my taste, espscially on 3rd downs. But going foward, he'll have to push the right buttons and say the right things not to lose this team. 0-4 is bad but the season is still salvagable, especially playing in the NFC West.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Here's why San Francisco sucks:

When your marquee player is a linebacker, your team is bad.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:26 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post

The Ravens are doing alright.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:35 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 9ers have the talent but have amateurs running the show....

& it shows. Oh boy howdy how it shows.

Everyone in the Bay Area who saw their 1st 4 games is howling for Singletary's head & to just lay down for 2 more mos. to draft Andrew Luck & hire Harbaugh.

Last edited by LizardState : 10-09-2010 at 06:39 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
The Ravens are doing alright.
When I think of the Ravens of today, the first image that pops into my head is actually one of Joe Flacco.

Don't get me wrong, Lewis is a great player and does nice things for their defense, but the Ravens' playoff success this year will hinge far more on the effectiveness of Flacco and his receiving corps than anything else on that team.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
Jets' first two picks of '06:

D'Brickashaw Ferguson at 4 overall
Nick Mangold at 29
At the time, I wanted the Jets to spend their entire 2006 draft or almost the entire draft on offensive linemen. I didn't think drafting two was enough as I figured the entire offensive line had to be revamped much the same way San Diego's did two years earlier. I still hold to that. The Jets used their first two picks on offensive linemen. They should have kept going.

Maybe then they wouldn't have had to sign Damien Woody the next year. Don't get me wrong, Woody isn't terrible by any stretch, but that was a contract that could have been avoided.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:26 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post

huh?

If when you think about the Ravens and anyone BUT Ray Lewis crosses your mind, you're ******* ********

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can Fox get fired if Carolina goes 0-5? Like this wk?
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote