Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who do you want calling your team's plays in a do-or-die situation?
Brad Childress 5 12.20%
Jason Garrett 3 7.32%
8 year old who plays too much Madden 33 80.49%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2010, 07:36 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Choose a Playcaller

Here's the situation:

Your team is in a do-or-die spot and you absolutely have to win this week's game. You can have one of these 3 people to be your team's offense play caller for that game. Who do YOU go with?

Choice #1: Brad Childress

Positives: Unpredictable...his favorite saying is "Nah, they'll expect us to do that...I'll do the exact opposite instead.....

Negatives: A student of the "Andy Reid School of Clock Managament"...Utilizes such legendary QBs as washed up Brad Johnson, Tarvaris Jackson, Gus Frerotte, Sage Rosencopter, and elderly/egocentric Brett Favre....Has the best RB in the game today yet is only 10th in the league in rushing attemps.....

Choice #2: Jason Garrett

Positives: Spreads the ball around a lot....is a god damned offensive genius.....

Negatives: 3rd and 20? TE Bubble screen.....Best 3-deep running back group in the league? Fewest rush attempts for several weeks running..... Need a big play? Throw to Kevin Ogletree...... 3rd and 1? HB Sweep for -4 yards....... 3rd and 10? Deepest route is 9 yards....... Halftime adjustments? Nah......

Choice #3: 8 year old who plays waaay too much Madden

Positives: May be more intelligent than Brad Childress or Jason Garrett.

Negatives: Will do unpredictable things like calling a fake field goal on 2nd and 10 from his own 20. Does nothing but pass plays. May pass out once Mountain Dew rush wears off.

So who ya got?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:41 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brad Childress, only because I couldn't pick "Brent using his custom playbook from the PS2 version of NCAA 2009" i.e., unstoppable.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:45 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Brad Childress, only because I couldn't pick "Brent using his custom playbook from the PS2 version of NCAA 2009" i.e., unstoppable.
Back in the Maddens from the earlier part of the last decade (2003, 2004 era) I could beat anyone with exactly 3 offensive plays. (Not counting special ones like FGs and Punts.)

I-Formation HB Lead Dive (switch it to run to the left or right depending on situation)
I-Formation PA Rollout (QB play fakes, rolls right, has a receiver streaking deep down the field, a TE about 10 yards downfield running towards the sideline...throws to one of them or runs it himself.)
Shotgun Curls (4 receivers all curl 10-12 yards down the field....my "I need a first down special)

I CRUSHED people with this....even with terrible teams like the McCown/Emmitt Smith Cardinals.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Back in the Maddens from the earlier part of the last decade (2003, 2004 era) I could beat anyone with exactly 3 offensive plays. (Not counting special ones like FGs and Punts.)
before I stopped playing console games, I made it a goal to treat the play-calling as I would in real life. so I would maybe call 15-20 different plays before repeating the one.

I cant imagine how I would do with a 100-plus play playbook.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:08 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good poll, tough call here. Both these guys seem to hate running backs. Im going with the 8 year old. Just because on 3rd and inches the youngster might actually consider using Adrian Peterson.

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:11 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Good poll, tough call here. Both these guys seem to hate running backs. Im going with the 8 year old. Just because on 3rd and inches the youngster might actually consider using Adrian Peterson.
3rd and Inches situation

Brad Childress "Screen to the FB!! They'll never see that coming!"

Jason Garrett "RB Sweep for a 4 yard loss!!"

8 year old "Sensible hand off to his team's best player."
Old 10-15-2010, 08:20 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
3rd and Inches situation

Brad Childress "Screen to the FB!! They'll never see that coming!"
8 year old "Sensible hand off to his team's best player."
Childress just love Tahi for some unknown reason.

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:18 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like they all are very close but I think the 8 year old gets my vote. He could be a future head coach

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I-Formation HB Lead Dive (switch it to run to the left or right depending on situation)
I-Formation PA Rollout (QB play fakes, rolls right, has a receiver streaking deep down the field, a TE about 10 yards downfield running towards the sideline...throws to one of them or runs it himself.)
Shotgun Curls (4 receivers all curl 10-12 yards down the field....my "I need a first down special)

I CRUSHED people with this....even with terrible teams like the McCown/Emmitt Smith Cardinals.
HB counter with Tatum Bell forcibly rapes your face. That, and there was a PA play I always sent Laveraneus Coles deep on, and of course the curl route, especially from a 4 WR formation to the 4th WR. I had an MVP calibre season with Kevin Swayne once with the 04 Jets. Once you could high pass, slants are added to curls as absolutely unstoppable.

Given the options, 8 year old. Broncos would actually improve if all they called was passing plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:28 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, you guys are underrating the Madden players greatest weapon:

The reset button.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-15-2010, 09:36 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Also, you guys are underrating the Madden players greatest weapon:

The reset button.
I'd only reset after a stupid serious injury in franchise mode. It's like "Oh, my QB with a 95 toughness and injury rating gets brushed slightly by a DE......DISLOCATED VERTEBRA!??? WTFFFFFFFF!!!!" RESET.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I remember when Madden introduced the mid-game ability to save, and I would save after every good play haha

Old 10-15-2010, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I remember when Madden introduced the mid-game ability to save, and I would save after every good play haha
Wait, you can save mid game?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Wait, you can save mid game?
back in the day, on PS2, you could in franchise mode.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:35 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** it, I'm going deep.

Quote:
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I the only one who actually would draft his teams in Madden?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:45 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
I quit actually playing the games sometime around Madden 06 and started just playing a GM role. I'd draft and sign players, set my depth chart and stuff, and then simulate games. It was actually a lot of fun.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
You mean the fantasy draft? If was cool for awhile, but building a horrible Cowboys team to a 10-time superbowl was much more fun.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:54 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wasn't one to buy the games, so I'd always do the fantasy draft with my friends down the street. Easy access to the games and it was kind of the only way for me to stay interested in it. Of course we cared way more about the offseason aspects.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:03 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I quit actually playing the games sometime around Madden 06 and started just playing a GM role. I'd draft and sign players, set my depth chart and stuff, and then simulate games. It was actually a lot of fun.
You ever try NFL HC?

Also speaking of football games, I'm in love with APF 2k8 right now. It's enough fun to just sit around playing with combinations all day. The team I'm currently enjoying the most success with:

QB-Elway
RB-Sanders
WR- Herman Moore
S- Jack Tatum
DE- Chris Doleman
WR- Alvin Harper
T- Tony Boselli
T- Korey Stringer
DT-William Perry
K- Jeff Jaeger
C- Can't remember his name

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-15-2010, 11:31 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is, quite possibly, the best thread ever created. Ever.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:34 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would pick Ron Turner.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:02 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I would pick Ron Turner.
HB Dive - 1 yard
HB Dive - 1 yard
Failed Play Action - Grossman/Orton/Cutler sacked
Punt.

Enjoy that friend.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:57 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Madden 08 PC in GM mode, i.e. CPU v CPU. I never actually sat and watched the entire games but it seemed a bit more interesting than just pressing simulate. Plus it made seasons last a bit longer - didn't want to finish a 30 year franchise in a weekend :P

I might just go fire up one now, haven't done it for probably close to a year now.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:37 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who are the 3 fools who chose Jason Garrett????

Gimme the 8 year old that plays Madden.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote