Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:46 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
I'm completely against this new legislation, but if it is going to happen. All i can hope is that it is not too over-dramatised...the Robinson hit was fine imo, the Harrison hit was illegal and should have been flagged, and the Merriweather hit was a plain cheap shot.

As the rules are, i think the sanctions should be...

- Unintentional "devastating hit"...no punishment (Robinson)
- Unintentional illegal hit...penalty flag (Harrison)
- Intentional illegal hit...penalty flag + fine (Merriweather)
- Repeated intentional illegal hits...fine + suspension

That would make all the sense in the world to me.
too easy and would make everyone happy....why on earth would that even be an option?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:50 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
too easy and would make everyone happy....why on earth would that even be an option?
Agreed, it also appears the officials/league deciding representatives are too stupid to make good decisions on what is what. The fact that Robinson got the same fine as Merriweather is just plain stupid in my opinion.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i wonder are people against the rule or against the suspensions?

cause if they are breaking the rules on purpose which could lead to serious injuries, why are you against it?

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:56 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im more against the suspension idea than the fines, your not gonna see me take up a collection for an NFL player to pay their fine...
Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post

cause if they are breaking the rules on purpose which could lead to serious injuries, why are you against it?
I'm against both really with the way that the league is talking about it.

Most of these hits are not on purpose. But regardless of purposeful intent or not, players can get suspended?? When these are huge grown athletic guys running around at full speed.

Another thing I have the big issue with is the fact that it is going to be all defenders suspended. When yes, technicially, they are the ones tackling but the Jackson and Massaquoi both entered into the respective zones of Robinson and Harrison. Offensive players run into those zones knowing someone is waiting on the other side ready to knock their heads off. Offensive players also lower their shoulders and make their heads the first point of contact no matter how one is to tackle most of the time. So how is it strictly the responsibility of the defender to go, "Oh, look he is lowering his head bracing for my impact, I can't try to tackle him now until he passes and then hope I can grab his legs, because even if I hit him as he is running beside me, if I slide up and hit his helmet, I could be suspended."

Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post

The rule has been in place for awhile so it must be the treat of a suspension as there hasnt been anyone miss any time yet. Hopefully this will be a deterent and the players will act accordingly.

I remember when not allowing clotheslining was going to ruin the game and so was doing away with the horsecollar tackle. Somehow i think we'll get through it.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope James Harrison retires. It's best for the league.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:14 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
The rule has been in place for awhile so it must be the treat of a suspension as there hasnt been anyone miss any time yet. Hopefully this will be a deterent and the players will act accordingly.

I remember when not allowing clotheslining was going to ruin the game and so was doing away with the horsecollar tackle. Somehow i think we'll get through it.
Seriously, the NFL says that they're going to keep on eye on some of these big hits and then review them to see if these things are even needed. It's like the NFL is going to eject a player instantly from a game and suspend him for half the season.

I'm going to wait 2-3 weeks and see how this new enforcement plays out before I declare that the sky is falling. If players don't intentionally ram there head into other players then they will be fine.

Also, if Harrison wants to retire because of this then go right ahead. Just stirring up some drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

there is prolly going to be 1 suspension a year to someone minor.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:35 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to wait and see how this plays out before I rush to judgment and assume the worst. If the NFL does what I think they're going to do, then I'm in full support. However, if they start suspending for obvious accidental contact then I may have an issue.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

but then its still fine cause the idea of the rule is still good, the execution is what woudl be wrong

Old 10-20-2010, 06:39 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel39 View Post
So how is it strictly the responsibility of the defender to go, "Oh, look he is lowering his head bracing for my impact, I can't try to tackle him now until he passes and then hope I can grab his legs, because even if I hit him as he is running beside me, if I slide up and hit his helmet, I could be suspended."
Now that's an extreme exaggeration.

Can't tackle him until he passes, so just hopefully grab his legs? Come on now. Defenders can still plow into a WR or TE, I mean I know **** happens, but let's not act like you can't put your head on the side of a defender and blow your shoulder into his chest, especially if you aim for the mid section. I mean you can even aim for the thighs and wrap around and lift a dude off the ground, but let's not be silly and act like there is no physical way possible to tackle a guy straight on without letting him pass you by first.

I'm not sure if they are teaching guys to tackle or not anymore, but when your going for the kill shot or highlight tackle all you do is stay on your feet, blow your shoulder into their upper body and try to dis lodge the ball or just lunge at their upper body in general and sometimes you make helmet to helmet contact, sometimes not.

Still though if you aim for the mid section and wrap up, your not going to see it as much. I don't blame the defenders when it happens(except for Brandon Merriweather), but I just don't like when people act like this rule is gonna stop people from making any tackles at all face up, or like you said act like they need to let them pass by first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

Can't tackle him until he passes, so just hopefully grab his legs? Come on now. Defenders can still plow into a WR or TE, I mean I know **** happens, but let's not act like you can't put your head on the side of a defender and blow your shoulder into his chest, especially if you aim for the mid section. I mean you can even aim for the thighs and wrap around and lift a dude off the ground, but let's not be silly and act like there is no physical way possible to tackle a guy straight on without letting him pass you by first.

I'm not sure if they are teaching guys to tackle or not anymore, but when your going for the kill shot or highlight tackle all you do is stay on your feet, blow your shoulder into their upper body and try to dis lodge the ball or just lunge at their upper body in general and sometimes you make helmet to helmet contact, sometimes not.

Still though if you aim for the mid section and wrap up, your not going to see it as much. I don't blame the defenders when it happens(except for Brandon Merriweather), but I just don't like when people act like this rule is gonna stop people from making any tackles at all face up, or like you said act like they need to let them pass by first.
Yeah, but you aim for that midsection like Robinson does. Now according to the guys if you make helmet to helmet contact, like Robinson did by sliding up just because of momentum, well that is not going to fly with the league.

Defenders will just aim lower, it'll be fine till we see knee injuries and guys getting slammed hard to the ground.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Yeah, but you aim for that midsection like Robinson does. Now according to the guys if you make helmet to helmet contact, like Robinson did by sliding up just because of momentum, well that is not going to fly with the league.

Defenders will just aim lower, it'll be fine till we see knee injuries and guys getting slammed hard to the ground.
Yup. I wouldn't be surprised to see a rash of leg injuries for wide receivers and tight ends in upcoming years. And the league will institute rules changes, penalties, and fines, and WRs will have the same "nipple to navel" strikezone that quarterbacks have right now.

And the league will be happy because every game will be like Green Bay and Arizona's abortion of a playoff game last year.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:58 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What would be funny is if the NFL players took a stand and no one made a tackle in any game this week. Not sure how much different that is from the regular NFL though.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:00 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NHL I liked that comment from Mark. I like how they are trying to prevent "defenseless" players from getting hurt. Yet, recently they allowed the force out rule. Which encourages attacking the player while they're in the air.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:01 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

That is what Robinson did and he got fined. And if a offensive player lowers his shoulder, therefore, making his head be the first thing the defender can contact, what can be done. The way the rule is stated, you can't tackle them with any part of your body basically when the first thing you touch is the head. And that is what 99% of offensive players lead with 99% of the time.

I don't think I am saying this because I am Steelers fan but James Harrison has never been the flashy guy. I really don't think he was going for some kind of highlight tackle.

Again, offensive players lead with helmets all the time. Hell, isn't it a Bo Jackson highlight or Earl Campbell, one of them, that has them ramming the helmet in to a defenders chest because the defender came at him high. That is what would happen everytime because no matter if the defender does get lower and explodes into the tackle, if the offensive player is leading with the head, then the first thing contacted is the head which according to the rules, can get a player suspended now.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5706748

What a ******* piece of **** he gives two people concussions with hits and loses his mind saying "I can't play football by NFL rules"

Honestly I hope someone blind sides him on a *legal* play and gives him a concussion so bad he has to ******* retire.

What a piece of ****, seriously.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have come to the conclusion that James Harrison is a boss, and Mark Schlereth is a boss.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5706748

What a ******* piece of **** he gives two people concussions with hits and loses his mind saying "I can't play football by NFL rules"

Honestly I hope someone blind sides him on a *legal* play and gives him a concussion so bad he has to ******* retire.

What a piece of ****, seriously.
I'm surprised he doesn't cause according to the laws of physics he should have one as well.

I think Cribs concussion was caused by two quick blows rather than 1 shot to the head. Look at it, he get hit head to head, and then his head bounce back into the on coming shoulder.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Schlereth is certainly a boss. Could just tell how furious he was with all of this, all while making very valid points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:25 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
I'm surprised he doesn't cause according to the laws of physics he should have one as well.

I think Cribs concussion was caused by two quick blows rather than 1 shot to the head. Look at it, he get hit head to head, and then his head bounce back into the on coming shoulder.
The Cribbs one wasn't as bad it just made me angry that he just put his head down and didnt even really use his arms to try and tackle cribbs.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Yup. I wouldn't be surprised to see a rash of leg injuries for wide receivers and tight ends in upcoming years. And the league will institute rules changes, penalties, and fines, and WRs will have the same "nipple to navel" strikezone that quarterbacks have right now.

And the league will be happy because every game will be like Green Bay and Arizona's abortion of a playoff game last year.
I couldnt agree more with almost every post youve made in this thread. I mean lets look at the rule changes the NFL has made the last few years.

No contact with the WR after five yards
No hitting the QB in the legs while in the pocket
No hitting the QB in the head while in the pocket
Overtime rule allowing both teams to get the ball if only 3 pts are scored
Now a focus on these devastating hits and helmet to helmet contact

The NFL has completely moved towards an offensive/pass happy league that favors offensives. With all this extra room to move around and zone coverages were obviously going to keep getting these injuries/hits. They keep changing rules and tinkering with rules without thinking of what other aspects of the game might change. Jackey's proposal seems fair, but you also have to think about how the refs are going to call it. I mean not that I mind when this happens, but I've seen Brady get hit with no flag, and then he screams into the refs ear and gets a flag. I'd hate to see this happening with every hit, to any player. Not to mention this is solely punishing defenses. While WRs and RBs can feel free to just lower their heads into a tackler and get a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

James Harrison interview:

Quote:
On the Mohamed Massaquoi hit:

James Harrison: “Even if you want to say is was helmet-to-helmet, it really wasn’t helmet-to-helmet. His helmet hit my shoulder pad if you slow everything down and look at it. We didn’t actually hit helmets. It was the shoulder pad. And he lowered his target area by a good three feet. I mean, there’s nothing really else I can do and that’s why I’m so frustrated. How can I continue to play this game the way that I’ve been taught to play this game since I was 10 years old? And now you’re telling me that everything that they’ve taught me from that time on, for the last 20-plus years, is not the way you’re supposed to play the game anymore. If that’s the case I can’t play by those rules. You’re handicapping me.”

Host/Gary Williams: “Did you know that the NFL is selling [the photo of] that hit on their online photo store, or at least they were, for $195? Did you know that?”

Harrison: “Yes, I did know that. I found that out this morning. They’re selling the hit that they fined me $75,000 for so I guess they want to get their money on the front end and the back end.”

On his controversial comments about wanting to inflict pain with his tackles:

Host/Steve Phillips: “I appreciate that you play the game hard but by trying to inflict pain, the reality is you can launch yourself into a defenseless player and ultimately injure him. Can you make the same tackle without the idea of trying to inflict the pain? Can you play the game in a way where you go about it saying, ‘I’m going to tackle you but I’m not going to try to hurt you?’”

Harrison: “I’m going to tell you, when you play the game the way that you’re talking about it being played what you have is the Pro Bowl. That’s the type of game you’ll have, is what the Pro Bowl is. We go out there, we play the game, no one is trying to do anything to anyone, everybody wants to get in and out [of] the game. Nobody wants to inflict any pain, you know, nobody gets hurt. That’s what the Pro Bowl is.”

Williams: “James, do you think, to a man, players in the NFL would rather get hit high or low?”

Harrison: “I’ll tell you right now, if I’m running blind and I don’t see the guy coming at me, by NFL rules, if he was to go and shoot at my knee and blow my whole knee out, that is a legal hit. All day. If you see me running blind and I don’t see you, please hit me high and knock me silly. I’ll pay your fine for you. Just don’t hit me in my knee and end my career.”

Phillips: “Obviously, a $75,000 fine is pretty significant. And every indication is that if you hit somebody like that again this week you will be fined again. Can you function under those rules? And if you sit down with Coach Tomlin and it’s something you can’t [do], are you truly going to walk away from the game?”

Harrison: “If I can’t get a clear understanding of exactly what I got fined for. If I got fined for what is right there on that tape, then I don’t see how I can continue to be effective and play this game. I mean, literally, you’re handicapping me. You’re taking away what, like I said, I was taught for the last 20 years on how to play the game. I can’t go in there and do what it is that I do, that I have been doing, and be effective. So, yeah, that is something that I’ll have to consider doing. I mean, I’m afraid to go out here and play the game the way I’ve been playing it. I mean, literally.”

Williams: “Your words, the idea of not trying to injure but hurt, I think that exacerbated the amount of money that you were fined, because of what you said. I really believe that.”

Harrison: “Ok, well, I’ll no longer say that. I don’t want to hurt anyone. I don’t want anyone to feel pain. I don’t want to do anything like, these are my words, please spread this around. James Harrison does not want to hurt anyone. I want to just make sure everyone gets out, no nothing. I don’t want anyone hurt. It’s a physically demanding game and I just don’t want anybody to get hurt. I don’t want to hurt anyone anymore. James Harrison does not want to hurt anyone.”

Phillips: “What are the chances we see you playing against Miami this weekend?”

Harrison: “I really don’t know.”
I think he's definitely got some valid points. I liked what he said about the Pro-Bowl and how players will rather get knocked out than injure their legs.

And the things with these helmet to helmet hits is that the league doesn't fine most of them, only the flashy ones. If someone gets a concussion or gets a bit dinged up, then yes, fine. If nothing happens, then no fine.

Example:

At the 55 second mark. Obvious helmet-to-helmet hit. You can hear the helmets hitting. But Mendenhall was carrying the ball and didn't get hurt, so nothing.

He didn't even try to tackle Mendenhall with his arms, look at T.J. Ward's left arm, he didn't even try to wrap up. He threw himself helmet-first towards Mendenhall's helmet, plain and simple. Don't say Mendenhall adjusted and that's why the helmets hit each other, he didn't move his head at all to prevent the hit, and neither did Ward. And to top it off, #53 wound up tackling Mendenhall by the facemask.

Props to clover_jeez!

Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn : 10-20-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Weren't all the Browns fans defending TJ Ward and doing cut ups on here to show how it wasn't a dirty hit, like, two weeks ago?
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote