Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:32 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post

At the 55 second mark. Obvious helmet-to-helmet hit. You can hear the helmets hitting. But Mendenhall was carrying the ball and didn't get hurt, so nothing.

He didn't even try to tackle Mendenhall with his arms, look at T.J. Ward's left arm, he didn't even try to wrap up. He threw himself helmet-first towards Mendenhall's helmet, plain and simple. Don't say Mendenhall adjusted and that's why the helmets hit each other, he didn't move his head at all to prevent the hit, and neither did Ward. And to top it off, #53 wound up tackling Mendenhall by the facemask.
The difference is that Mendenhall isn't "defenseless", he's running the ball in free space which is completely different.

I would have to say I was upset that there was a penalty on TJ Ward but I accepted it afterwards because the rules are the rules. I was pretty upset that they didn't get the same calls against Pittsburgh and Ward's quotes were taken out of context.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:40 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

as a european I resent the notion that Football - contact = soccer. That's the most insane thing I've ever heard, it's uninformed, it's unecessary and most of all it's typical American "we know better than everyone else" int he world BS bravadospeak. Never forget that soccer is more popular than the NFL is worldwide. Christ it annoys me when people pretend it's just American Football minus the contact.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:03 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
as a european I resent the notion that Football - contact = soccer. That's the most insane thing I've ever heard, it's uninformed, it's unecessary and most of all it's typical American "we know better than everyone else" int he world BS bravadospeak. Never forget that soccer is more popular than the NFL is worldwide. Christ it annoys me when people pretend it's just American Football minus the contact.
But we do. plus football - contact = touch football.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
The refs didn't throw a yellow flag right? The media didn't even care. If this was Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or Brett Favre the media/peter king and john madden would be asking for smith,harrison and keisel head.
No there was no flag thrown, the media didnt give a damn...but...but...James Harrison got fined, even though he was just taken for a ride by SMith and Keisel. Lame.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
It was illegal according to defenseless WR act of 2010. NFL considers shoulder to helmet just as bad or it should. The helmet and shoulder pads are made out of the same polycarbonate material, and the force each delivers is the same.
That is completely irrelevant to anything I just said, I am aware of the rule.

I said it wasn't helmet to helmet, I didn't say it wasn't illegal, I didn't say it wasn't a dirty hit, I'm not claiming that pigs are flying.

I don't get why everyone has to read into everything.

"It was not helmet to helmet" that is all I said, don't read into it.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:14 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like to think that soccer is just a completely pussified version of hockey ;)
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:16 AM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
I'd be very interested to see these big and bad sports reporters back up that talk infront of the athletes they bash.
What is Harrison gonna do? Punch an old guy? Based on how big of a punk he is, I wouldn't doubt it.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quick question: is there single person who believed that Harrison would actually retire?
Old 10-21-2010, 03:58 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
Quick question: is there single person who believed that Harrison would actually retire?
NO. Stop being a *****, just play. Break legs and ribs instead of giving concussions.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
NO. Stop being a *****, just play. Break legs and ribs instead of giving concussions.
I wouldn't be surprised if Harrison started going low with his hits and hitting people in the knees as a sign of protest/play by what is technically allowed in the NFL.

I wouldn't like it one bit, but I wouldn't be surprised. He's got the attitude and mentality to do it.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This interview on NFLlive right now is exactly why people are pissed..... If you use your ******* forearm on a reciever trying to catch the ball youll get a significant fine? **** off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:10 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ESPN reporting now that the league has, under overwhelming media pressure, sent out guidelines for illegal hits. Any forearm, shoulder or helmet to the head or neck now draws a fine, penalty flag or not.

These went out to "accountable" players, coaches, & officials.

IMO it should've gone out to the officials before the season started. Unnecessary roughness penalties have been too arbitrary for too long a time.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
Personally, I think if they removed the Polian rule, there'd be less zone, more man coverage, and less opportunities for these type of hits.
but how will Peyton Manning win playoff games?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is ********. Dunta Robinson's hit was fine and their saying it wasnt because he hit desean with his forearm and shoulder. And then right after he says this is a good tackle led by the shoulder by Ray Lewis. haha what?

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah thats ********, the only difference between Robinson hit and Rays hit was that w/ Robinsons hit both people got hurt.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:26 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
ESPN reporting now that the league has, under overwhelming media pressure, sent out guidelines for illegal hits. Any forearm, shoulder or helmet to the head or neck now draws a fine, penalty flag or not.
Nothing about feet or legs? Come on NFL there is a loophole. These mother****ers need to start drop kicking eachother in the face. Whose not all about saving money?

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Yeah thats ********, the only difference between Robinson hit and Rays hit was that w/ Robinsons hit both people got hurt.
Which is why this is a complete over reaction. Merriweathers hit was the only illegal contact but since people got hurt their going to change rules. Even the Harrison one it shows his target level at the shoulder pads before Mas lowers himself about a foot into it. So bs.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-21-2010, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i agree I caught that also, my question is. Say Harrison wrapped up like a normal tackle. THat is still a penalty correct.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
i agree I caught that also, my question is. Say Harrison wrapped up like a normal tackle. THat is still a penalty correct.
Right wrapping up means nothing as some people have thought it would. Any contact from the helmet, shoulder pads, and arms from the neck on its a penalty and the nfl will "come down on you for".

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-21-2010, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

yea I am changing my stance on this. I have no problem the NFL trying to protect the players, I dont want anyone paralyzed either. But you cant control some things.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
yea I am changing my stance on this. I have no problem the NFL trying to protect the players, I dont want anyone paralyzed either. But you cant control some things.
It's to hard to try and legislate that. If someone leads with their helmet, punish them. If its helmet to helmt where the defender was clearly not trying to lead with his helmet, dont punish the ******* guy. That simple, again only one of those hits from Sunday was illegal.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-21-2010, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the massaquoi hit was also illegal.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:44 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I facepalmed when he said that part. I was hoping no other country saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
the massaquoi hit was also illegal.
sure but when you slow it down, you see Harrison lower himself, then Mass lowers himself into the helmet, they showed it on live about an hour ago.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-21-2010, 05:32 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
Oh, there's no doubt denying that Harrison is an extremely aggressive person, but that's part of the reason why he's a good player. As an avid fan of what he does on the field, I've been witness to many of the things he's done, both on and off the field. Some of them are dirty, some not.

- Punched his girlfrield.

- Pitbull incident.

- Slammed a Browns fan onto the ground.

- Was very physical when blocking a Cardinals player on ST during the Superbowl.

Supposedly the guy punched his balls and tried to hit him on the knees on previous plays, don't know what really happened, only that this did.

- Vince Young suplex.

He grabbed Vince Young, but if you see clearly, it was actually Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel who flip Young, also flipping Harrison in the process.

- Various good plays and big hits.

- Decking Correll Buckhalter.

- More good plays, big hits.

Every single Steelers fan on these boards, and elsewhere for that matter, will tell you that James Harrison is a tenacious player who always manages to lay the lumber. He's a hard-hitter, just like many other LB's have been before him. Some people will argue he's a dirty player, other will argue his hits are legal, the point is he's simply aggressive and physical. And that's exactly what people love seeing in players. People who say they don't like physical players are lying.

Jags fans loved seeing MJD sit Merriman on his ass. Vikings fan loved seeing Peterson run over William ***. Bengals fans loved seeing Chris Crocker light up Santonio Holmes. And I won't lie, I've enjoyed seeing Harrison deliver some of the hits seen above.

I just never hope a player gets injured, no matter who he plays for, and you'll never see me celebrating an injury coming from a devastating hit. In fact, people rarely do that. But those injuries happen, it's part of the sport. There are injury risks for every single sport, but that doesn't stop players from doing them. Boxers have risks for extremely serious injuries, just like MMA fighters do. Soccer players can suffer devastating knee and leg injuries. Basketball players can seriously damage their knees. Pitchers can suffer serious shoulder and elbow injuries. It's just a part of the game. And players know that. Harrison knows he could get knocked out if he delivers a big hit, as do all other players.

That's why Harrison and Ray Lewis and Rodney Harrison and Brian Urlacher and others say what they do. They learned to play the game one way and then they can't play that way in the pros.

There are differences between dirty hits and big hits. Most of the hits the league is fining are simply big hits. Robinson on Jackson was a big hit. Dirty hits are like the one where Gosder Cherilus launched himself at Jared Allen's knees while he was running and facing the other side.

But that's just my opinion. I've seen many hard hits and people reacting to them, both positively and negatively. The point is that people who root for the guy who got lit up usually cry "dirty!" while the fans of the hitter usually cries "fair!"

People just need to learn to accept big hits, they happen.
James Harrison is a dirty piece of ******* trash and i hope he gets in a terrible car wreck and ends up a paraplegic.