Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:57 AM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-I-P View Post
Why did Dunta Robinson get fined? I'm still confused, because i don't see helmet-to-helmet. Was his fine just for hitting a defenseless player?
Apparently its now illegal to lead with your shoulder or forearm when hitting a defenseless player.. What are you supposed to lead with? Your ass?
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:10 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan43 View Post
Apparently its now illegal to lead with your shoulder or forearm when hitting a defenseless player.. What are you supposed to lead with? Your ass?
they didnt iniate a rule change. the rule was there for years. they only specified it, stuff like that was called a lot.

also when i learned tackling i always learned to try to put my forehead on the opponents chest. not leading with a shoulder or a forearm.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:46 AM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

per PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-locker-room/

Quote:
NFL training video a subject of scorn in Vikings' locker room
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 22, 2010 7:24 AM ET
At companies across the country, corporate training videos that the head office forces all the workers to watch are routinely mocked.

It turns out that the Vikings' locker room is just like any other office.

After the Vikings watched this week's league-mandated video on illegal hits, someone in the Vikings' locker room drew a sarcastic diagram to explain the overriding message.

That diagram shows two similar drawings of one stick-figure football player hitting another. Next to the first drawing are the words, "QB or receiver that makes over $10M -- Illegal."

Next to the second drawing are the words, "Punter or anyone else we don't give a f--k about -- Legal."

And under that is the summary: "Remember! We at the league office are totally concerned about integrity! Seriously! No really, we totally are!"

Vikings punter Chris Kluwe first tweeted a picture of the diagram, and the diagram specifically mentions that hits on punters are OK, presumably in response to the league using a hit on Seahawks punter Jon Ryan as an example of what is allowed. So it's not unreasonable to think the diagram was Kluwe's handiwork.

And it was hilarious.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/phot...%2FtdckbtkU%3D
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:56 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Richard from Jacksonville
Former VP of officiating Mike Pereira suggested that illegal contact rules be reduced or removed, allowing teams to play more press coverage. This would stop some of the helmet-to-helmet collisions brought on by zone defenses. Do you like this idea?

Vic: Yes, that’s what I’ve been saying all along. Bring back the bump and run. It brought receiver and defender in close contact from the snap of the ball. It compressed the field. The five-yard chuck rule, especially the major point of emphasis on it in recent years, has opened the field and created these high-speed collisions. It’s real simple: If I can’t touch you before you catch the ball, I’ll wait until you catch it and then I’ll really touch you. They made it so difficult to play defense that they left defense with no alternative but to resort to extreme measures. Consider the quarterback position. You’re James Harrison and you get paid to rush the passer, but you better be careful in how you treat the passer when you get there, as evidenced by the fine Harrison got for sacking Vince Young too roughly. OK, so you condition your game to that rule, then the offense brings in Josh Cribbs to run the “Wildcat,” which introduces a whole new dynamic to defending against the quarterback. Mike Pereira gets it. I was stunned recently when I heard a former player, I think it was Cris Carter, suggest that they widen the field. That’s the worst thing they could do. The more space you create, the more high-speed collisions will result.

http://jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=9406

What a lot of us have been saying all week.

I blame this, like everything else that's wrong with the NFL right now, on Bill Polian.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:16 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NFL is doing this for legal reasons. They don't want some player coming back and suing the league for not protecting them from these types of hits. They're just making sure they're not liable.

On a slightly different note... I've never liked the tactic of hurling yourself at the offensive player with no tackling form. I think eliminating those hits would eliminate a lot of the problems. You can hit someone hard, but you have to at least try to wrap them up.

Better helmet technology that does more to protect the other players would also go a long way. Hard plastic made sense before players were using their heads as weapons and just needed extra protection. The game has changed, so should the equipment.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:30 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The reason they launch them self's is to get to the ball quicker, you get to the ball quicker to jar it loose. Now if you take all those steps to get to the ball, well you have given the WR that much more time to secure the ball. Think about it...no really think about it.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:32 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
"It's hard for both sides because when you see most receivers go up for a ball in the air -- and after they catch it -- most of the times the first thing they do is tuck their head and try to protect themselves," said Houston Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson.

"You look at a defensive guy and you see a guy jumping at him [and] the first thing they do is tuck their head to protect themselves. I think that's what kind of leads to a lot of it. … I don't think they are thinking about the helmet-to helmet contact. Guys are just out there playing."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...06/NFLViolence

Even offensive players see the holes with this.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:47 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Should start fining Rbs for lowering their head like Milloy mentioned. It does make it seem like they only care about players that make them $.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:01 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5710541

hahah Ryan Clark
Quote:
Should I tweet him or text him before I tackle him (an opponent)?
Old 10-22-2010, 12:13 PM    (permalink
ryno626
Rookie

ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

why doesn't the NFL shrink the field? less room to move around and more space to add extra rows of seating?

/sarcasm
Old 10-22-2010, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Offensive players aren't trying to tackle a defense player with a helmet they're lowering their body to make a smaller zone and it is more natural for the body to take a hit like that.

Who the hell just stands straight up when they're going to get tackled that makes no sense.
Good job proving the point for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:36 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
This just came to me but shouldnt harrison have been called for Spearing regardless of the helmet to helmet rules. That rule just came to me and I did some research and spearing is.

"Spearing is illegal and results in a 15-yard penalty against the offending team"

I searched the NFL.com rule book and it said

" tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent."

So regardless of if a WR moved into a helmet to helmet hit. Harrison broke a rule by spearing.
I hope to god people haven't been arguing this entire time not knowing this rule.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:46 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Good job proving the point for him.
Yes of course you would take that as me proving his point for him completely interpreting what I say in a way that suits your argument best.

Defenders have a choice of whether or not they want to lead with the dome of their helmet for a tackle, they can actually you know, tackle like they've been taught and wrap someone up (Being the aggressor and making the tackle).

On the other hand you have a player on offense who is just bracing for the impact that is about to come from a hit, they aren't using their helmet as a weapon for contact (Trying to defend themselves). Imagine if a player on offense didn't brace for contact going over the middle, they would be standing straight up every time and be getting leveled on a regular basis that would probably look like the sheldon brown hit on reggie bush.

It's two completely different things and I have no idea how you cannot make a distinction between the two.

I'm not even arguing a point either way and frankly I don't give a ****, but some of the things being said in this thread are asinine.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
Old 10-22-2010, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes of course you would take that as me proving his point for him completely interpreting what I say in a way that suits your argument best.

Defenders have a choice of whether or not they want to lead with the dome of their helmet for a tackle, they can actually you know, tackle like they've been taught and wrap someone up (Being the aggressor and making the tackle).

On the other hand you have a player on offense who is just bracing for the impact that is about to come from a hit, they aren't using their helmet as a weapon for contact (Trying to defend themselves). Imagine if a player on offense didn't brace for contact going over the middle, they would be standing straight up every time and be getting leveled on a regular basis that would probably look like the sheldon brown hit on reggie bush.

It's two completely different things and I have no idea how you cannot make a distinction between the two.

I'm not even arguing a point either way and frankly I don't give a ****, but some of the things being said in this thread are asinine.
The point your proving is that someone with the ball is going to put their head down naturally and lower their range to make contact with a defenders helmet which is going to draw suspensions now. What your saying isnt very complicated at all, your just not proving the point you want. Many people are upset because the rule is biased in favor of offensive players, and your proving that. Also idk if your familiar with form tackling and hitting but whoever gets lowest wins almost 100% of the time, which is why you see hits like MJD laying out Merriman and such. Its the way its taught. When you have the ball and are about to get smashed, your taught to lower your shoulder and get low, so this rule is saying we should punish the defensive players for any shoulder, helmet, arm contact with a ball carriers helmet because the ball carrier basically runs into any of those areas. It doesnt make sense, everyone here is in favor of keeping the players safe, but this is not the way to go about it.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
they didnt iniate a rule change. the rule was there for years. they only specified it, stuff like that was called a lot.

also when i learned tackling i always learned to try to put my forehead on the opponents chest. not leading with a shoulder or a forearm.
I still think that leading with your facemask or whatever you run the risk of collapsing that vertebrae. I was taught to lead with your shoulder but i'll be the first to admit that was back in the stone age.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:16 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

Quote:
The point your proving is that someone with the ball is going to put their head down naturally and lower their range to make contact with a defenders helmet which is going to draw suspensions now. What your saying isnt very complicated at all, your just not proving the point you want. Many people are upset because the rule is biased in favor of offensive players, and your proving that. Also idk if your familiar with form tackling and hitting but whoever gets lowest wins almost 100% of the time, which is why you see hits like MJD laying out Merriman and such. Its the way its taught. When you have the ball and are about to get smashed, your taught to lower your shoulder and get low, so this rule is saying we should punish the defensive players for any shoulder, helmet, arm contact with a ball carriers helmet because the ball carrier basically runs into any of those areas. It doesnt make sense, everyone here is in favor of keeping the players safe, but this is not the way to go about it.
They aren't gonna fine for incidental crap that isn't vicious that's what im trying to say, they're just trying to make players understand they don't need to blow people up leading with forearm/head/shoulder it's pretty obvious...

You see minor helmet to helmet collisions on plenty of tackles do you see fines going out for every single one of those? No, because they aren't vicious or unnecessary and don't cause harm to players.

Do you really think the NFL Players Union would allow them to fine for every little incident of a helmet hitting another helmet? No, so stop overreacting over something that isn't going to be over-enforced or done the way some of you guys are making it out to be.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

How do you know whats going to be fined or not, thats the point. No one knows whats going to be fined or not and these rules they have in place with the explanations dont help to clarify either. The differnce between the Desean hit and the keller hit was a matter of desean reacting and lowering his body and Keller not. So yeah, from that video it looks like its a pretty ridiculous rule.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-22-2010, 04:21 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really wanna see which hits actually garner suspensions. All the hits that were fined last week would be fined any other week. I like to think that the only hit that would garner a suspension was Meariwether's. We'll see if that holds up. I really don't see them suspending anyone unless there is clear malicious intent, and I don't see that in any of the other hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:38 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

Quote:
How do you know whats going to be fined or not, thats the point.

Look at the hits that were fined, tell me if those are what you would call your typical hits on players, and look at the leagues history of fining people.

You tell me if you think they're just gonna start fining left and right for **** that isn't a big deal at all.

Massaquoi, concussion
Heap *stinger* could have been as bad as a broken neck
Jackson/Robinson concussions
Shipley concussion
etc....

Why is everyone making such a ******* big deal, people could have broken their necks legitimately on these plays and there's a ******* firestorm of controversy surrounding the fines, this is insane, if people want to ***** about something start bitching about the running into the kickers where the jackasses fake getting hit or the roughing the passer calls that occur a millisecond after the QB gets rid of the ball.

They aren't gonna just start fining for no god damn reason they're doing it to protect players from ending up as a vegetable for the rest of their lives and fining on hits that aren't necessary which they should do and have been doing for a while now.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:

Look at the hits that were fined, tell me if those are what you would call your typical hits on players, and look at the leagues history of fining people.

You tell me if you think they're just gonna start fining left and right for **** that isn't a big deal at all.

Massaquoi, concussion
Heap *stinger* could have been as bad as a broken neck
Jackson/Robinson concussions
Shipley concussion
etc....

Why is everyone making such a ******* big deal, people could have broken their necks legitimately on these plays and there's a ******* firestorm of controversy surrounding the fines, this is insane, if people want to ***** about something start bitching about the running into the kickers where the jackasses fake getting hit or the roughing the passer calls that occur a millisecond after the QB gets rid of the ball.

They aren't gonna just start fining for no god damn reason they're doing it to protect players from ending up as a vegetable for the rest of their lives and fining on hits that aren't necessary which they should do and have been doing for a while now.
Which is why their selling hard hits videos and the photos from those exact same hits but yeah their doing it for the players. Not even the players believe that ****.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-22-2010, 05:24 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Which is why their selling hard hits videos and the photos from those exact same hits but yeah their doing it for the players. Not even the players believe that ****.
This has been the best part of this whole thing. How many players have spoken out against this. I really liked Chris Kluwe's picture, Ryan Clark's tweet, Ray Lewis's statment, Andre Johnson's statement, etc...etc....

Just about everyone playing the game and that has played the game, thinks this is bogus.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Last edited by terribletowel39 : 10-22-2010 at 06:23 PM.
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel39 View Post
This has been the best part of this whole thing. How many players have spoken out against this. I really liked Chris Kluwe's picture, Ryan Clark's tweet, Ray Lewis's statment, Andrew Johnson's statement, etc...etc....

Just about everyone playing the game and that has played the game, thinks this is bogus.
Exactly, it's not like a bunch of us on here are just bithcing because we want to see a bunch of people get hurt week in and week out. Even Tom ******* Brady spoke out against it, I mean, that guy draws so many flags for silly hits its not even funny.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-22-2010, 06:00 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
The reason they launch them self's is to get to the ball quicker, you get to the ball quicker to jar it loose. Now if you take all those steps to get to the ball, well you have given the WR that much more time to secure the ball. Think about it...no really think about it.
They can wrap up when they "launch". It takes no more effort to wrap than it does to do the flying shoulder block/missile thing. When they do the shoulder block thing, that is not "I'm doing my job" as a defender. That has always been a blatant "I'm going to knock you the **** out" type of move. The worst part is when the defender completely whiffs. I don't care to recall the number of times I yelled at my TV because Eugene Wilson whiffed on one of those attempted hits.

It's a dirty move, and it's been a terrible part of the game for awhile now. It's not the helmet to helmet crap that gets me, it's the obvious no-form, non-tackling techniques combined with rules that force defenders to play off their man that are causing a lot of these hits.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And it was hilarious.
Yes it was, saw it on Jim Rome today. Nothing like precise, pinpoint accurate descriptions of future illegal hits. Stick figures? Don't they have a staff Photoshopper?

Maybe we'll be seeing some powderpuff hits right out of the WWF this weekend, $75,000 fines could make some guys take dives.

Anyone wonder why Harrison didn't hurt himself on those hits? Maybe those rumors about his head being sold bone from ear to ear are true.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:30 PM    (permalink
V.I.P
Pro Bowler

V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.V.I.P is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Malcom Jenkins is among 12 others fined. Jenkins was fined 10K for hitting Freeman in head area and one out of bounds.

"New Orleans cornerback Malcolm Jenkins was fined $10,000 for two hits, one to the head area of Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman and one out of bounds"

The NFL fined 12 more players Friday, mostly for unnecessary roughness in games last weekend, sending another strong message that violent conduct wouldn't be tolerated.

Minnesota defensive end Ray Edwards was fined the most, $20,000, for spearing Dallas running back Marion Barber on Sunday. Edwards was cited as a repeat offender; he was previously fined Aug. 28 for roughing the passer and Sept. 26 for unnecessary roughness.

"I just got fined $20,000 for a spear that really wasn't a spear," Edwards said. "If you look at the last play, (Dallas tackle Marc) Colombo speared Jared (Allen) and I don't believe he got fined. If you're going to fine people, fine everybody. Don't just fine defensive guys."

The league did not fine Colombo.

Earlier this week, huge fines were given for flagrant fouls by Pittsburgh's James Harrison ($75,000), Atlanta's Dunta Robinson and New England's Brandon Meriweather (both $50,000). The league also promised suspensions for players who make illegal hits on defenseless opponents. A video was sent to the 32 teams explaining what hits are considered legal and illegal.

The 15 fines were unusually high for one week, a signal of the NFL's resolve to police violent play. Generally, either a $5,000 or $10,000 fine is handed out for roughness. In this week's total all but two were for roughness. On Oct. 1 the league also issued 15 fines, 10 for roughness.

Included in the latest penalties:

New Orleans cornerback Malcolm Jenkins was fined $10,000 for two hits, one to the head area of Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman and one out of bounds.

Tennessee defensive end William Hayes was fined $10,000 for a late hit, while teammate Dave Ball was given a $5,000 fine for roughing the passer with a hit to the head or neck area against Jacksonville.

Three Houston players were fined $5,000: guard Wade Smith for a leg whip, defensive end Adewale Ogunleye for a late hit on Kansas City quarterback Matt Cassel, and safety Bernard Pollard for hitting a Chiefs player out of bounds.

Philadelphia quarterback Kevin Kolb was fined $5,000 for a horse-collar tackle on Atlanta's William Moore while Moore was returning an interception.

San Francisco safety Dashon Goldson was fined $5,000 for striking Raiders receiver Louis Murphy late.

Minnesota receiver Bernard Berrian was fined $5,000 for a late hit on Dallas DE Jason Hatcher.

There's no need to fret about missing any games. You can watch every contest again with Game Rewind. Get more information here.
Detroit guard Stephen Peterman was fined $7,500 for a late hit on Giants safety Antrel Rolle.

San Diego linebacker Antwan Barnes was fined $5,000 for unnecessarily striking St. Louis quarterback Sam Bradford in the chest and neck.

Harrison, who threatened to retire after the NFL's crackdown, was fined for his tackle of Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, who suffered a concussion. He also had a hard hit on former college teammate Joshua Cribbs.

On Friday, Cribbs told his friend not to change the way he plays, and that Harrison's job is to simply "knock people out."

Cribbs, who played at Kent State with Harrison, believes he helped persuade Pittsburgh's big hitter not to retire.

Harrison's agent said Friday he plans to appeal the fine.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
League is really trying to send a message.

Mike Will & V-Jax
V.I.P is offline   Reply With Quote