Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 AM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Last week in overtime, the redskin helmet to helmeted Rodgers on his rushed interception.
Packer fans and unbiased observers thought that should have been a penalty, but the zebra right there felt otherwise.

4 days later, the NFL fined the player for his illegal hit.

Go figure. I'd rather the penalty and not the fine.

And I'd rather the ref get fined for missing the crucial overtime missed call even though that's his main job, watch and protect the QB.
The refs dont get to look at film before they make a call, i think people forget that they too are caught up in the game
Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 AM    (permalink
HawkEye30
Rookie

HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Suspensions are more expensive than fines, they caost players gamechecks. When in doubt, or there media pressure Goodell always uses his heaviest caliber punitive weapons.

I guess we can add Merriwether, Harrison and Dunta Robinson to Haynesworth on the All Dirtiest Players in the NFL defense now.

All you ADPitNFL wannabees: Hurry & get a suspension, light up somebody now! places are filling up fast!

Harrison gets a dbl star ** for taking out 2 opponent players in one game, this ESPN article did everything but call him a thug for "deliberately" trying to hurt/take out opponents. He's the leading contender for the Jack "They Call Me Assassin" Tatum Award. Jack is smiling down from the afterlife on Harrison now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5699976
Everyone here should watch that video, and the whole thing too because the last part is probably the best. NO ONE is making these guys play the game, its a priveledge and they know what they're getting into. Another part i loved was what millen said; basically we're having business men who have never played a down of football make these decisions and its really a pity.

Props to BoneKrusher for the sig
Hit me up on XBOX Live: totallynotalex
HawkEye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

“Interesting from one assistant coach who I spoke to. He said playing in the NFL is not something that you are sentenced to do. You don’t have to do it. Nobody makes you do it. He said its a privilege and every single guy who plays in the NFL understands that these hits are part of the game. If you don’t want to be hit like this, if you don’t want to be hit like this, you don’t have to play.” from stuart scott on espn.

If you dont want to get hurt playing a physical sport, which its been forever now, dont play. No ones forcing anyone to go out there and take these hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:56 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't understand how you can want to pass rules to encourage passing and then say you want to handcuff defenders.

Passing encourages big hits. When you have big guys running fast in wide open spaces, big time collisions are going to happen. Running the ball confines the space players have to operate and doesn't get players running full speed and jumping into the air at each other.

Makes no sense to me. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I just don't understand how you can want to pass rules to encourage passing and then say you want to handcuff defenders.

Passing encourages big hits. When you have big guys running fast in wide open spaces, big time collisions are going to happen. Running the ball confines the space players have to operate and doesn't get players running full speed and jumping into the air at each other.

Makes no sense to me. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
They can however which is why this is sad. I mean lets just play catch for sixty minutes is what it's coming down to. It's no wonder why the NFL is moving towards such pass happy offenses, defenders can do less and less to stop it every year.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:02 AM    (permalink
goodlookin
Rookie

goodlookin is a cocksman.goodlookin is a cocksman.goodlookin is a cocksman.goodlookin is a cocksman.

The NFL is on its way to be coming the NBA in that games come down to officials discretion in making calls as opposed to players and gameplanning. I also feel what the hell are the defensive players susposed to do, not play aggressive? Lastly, all fines should either be donated to charities or the retired players medical fund.
goodlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:07 AM    (permalink
HawkEye30
Rookie

HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkEye30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin View Post
The NFL is on its way to be coming the NBA in that games come down to officials discretion in making calls as opposed to players and gameplanning. I also feel what the hell are the defensive players susposed to do, not play aggressive? Lastly, all fines should either be donated to charities or the retired players medical fund.
Don't quote me on this but im pretty sure thats where the money goes lol

Props to BoneKrusher for the sig
Hit me up on XBOX Live: totallynotalex
HawkEye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:13 AM    (permalink
goodlookin
Rookie

goodlookin is a cocksman.goodlookin is a cocksman.goodlookin is a cocksman.goodlookin is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkEye30 View Post
Don't quote me on this but im pretty sure thats where the money goes lol
good, thats the only responsible thing to do. This is the NFL's fault, they run people like Ronnie Lott, LT, and Singletary as some of the best, most feared defenders in the history of the NFL and why is that? Because they brought the friggin wood and cracked people. Also, let the DB's reroute people and chuck past 5 yards and you wont see as many high speed collisions due to lofted, slow passes. Free releases allow for these high angle floated touch passes.
goodlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:15 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO this is really going to change the attitude and mindset of young kids and what they learn growing up. Guys like Merriweather and Harrison are going to keep lowering their heads instinctively. I don't think know if they can un learn that and still play. It's not that they are good because they play dirty, they're good because they have highly developed instincts and they use them to play. Next generation, this is going to make a big difference, but this generation, things are going to look different. Maybe that leads to more torn ACLs, maybe just the same number of concussions from heads hitting the ground, but it's going to change things.

The biggest positive out of this is guys are actually getting their heads checked by doctors and watching their health before it's too late. That's going to trickle down to college and high school coaches and amateur players (kids) aren't going to feel like girls for going to the sideline with a head injury. It's ******** for high schoolers to feel like they have to play through concussions (or not know they have one, or think it doesn't matter).

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Now I just see players going for legs when people are up in the air so yeah maybe we'll see more leg injuries and then another rule change. I really just see all these rash rule changes as people not thinking about consequence. They say, hey you'll get suspended for hitting high and that will stop hits to the head, and dont think of how defenses will adjust (assuming they start hitting low of course which really what other option do they have?).

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-19-2010, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
I see no problem with suspensions at all. Were talking 20 some year olds who can get paralysed and 1 just did this weekend. The fines these guys get are pocket change that have no effect. Some of these hits are malicious and could be avoided. Some are unintentional but really its not like we see 56764 a game just a few over the season. Footballs a violent game and things happen. Not every helmet to helmet hit deserves a suspension but a few do. Just as long as the NFL doesn't go to crazy with suspensions.

Couldn't have put it any better.
The NFL should suspend players more often for helmet-to-helmet hits, than they already do. IE: Meriweather and his cheap hit on Heap. Suspend the players for blatantly intentional hits, NOT for the accidental, freak ones (the one on Boldin last season, or the season before)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:20 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills2083 View Post
The NFL should suspend players more often for helmet-to-helmet hits, than they already do. IE: Meriweather and his cheap hit on Heap. Suspend the players for blatantly intentional hits, NOT for the accidental, freak ones (the one on Boldin last season, or the season before)
I'm for this, you can tell he went for a helmet to helmet hit...he had time to react. But someone like Harrison who is moving fast and doesn't have time to react when the offensive player puts his head down, will get suspended also. To much gray area.

Is drop kicking legal for a tackle? The defense should just let WR score and catch at will and not try and tackle anyone other than a running play(rb, wildcat). Sort of a way to protest, during the game. Both side of course, also scores will run into the 50s.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:34 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
I'm for this, you can tell he went for a helmet to helmet hit...he had time to react. But someone like Harrison who is moving fast and doesn't have time to react when the offensive player puts his head down, will get suspended also. To much gray area.

Is drop kicking legal for a tackle? The defense should just let WR score and catch at will and not try and tackle anyone other than a running play(rb, wildcat). Sort of a way to protest, during the game. Both side of course, also scores will run into the 50s.
The NFL absolutely loved what it saw during the GB/AZ playoff game last year.

I thought it was a disgusting attempt at "defense" by both teams and neither one deserved to win that game.

That's what you're going to start seeing more of, though.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills2083 View Post
Totally agree. I think the number of suspensions will be very small. As for Meriweather the policy should be retroactive and he should be sat down. I'm a former season ticket holder for the Pats but i cant condone that garbage. As for it changing the way defenders tackle that's BS. There isnt a coach out there at any level that teaches helmet to helmet tackling.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:19 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin View Post
The NFL is on its way to be coming the NBA in that games come down to officials discretion in making calls as opposed to players and gameplanning.
There is a huge difference between launching for the head and making a quality tackle. There is a huge difference. I can't even believe people are disagreeing about that.

Worse yet, the NBA's problem isn't the refs interfering but the lack of real penalty for actual fouls. People push and shove all of the time in a game that isn't supposed to be a contact sport.

Concussions are a serious matter. A broken leg is bad, but a concussion could ruin your life. (Yea, it's hard to feel bad for a multi millionaire or even someone who made a few hundred grand during their short time).

edit: I'm talking about shots like Meriweather or the one that was 'administered' to Welker in the Jets game. Those are the kinds of hits I don't want to see. I'm not talking about a guy's hand slipping, hitting a QB on the tip of the face mask and getting a 15 yard penalty for.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Totally agree. I think the number of suspensions will be very small. As for Meriweather the policy should be retroactive and he should be sat down. I'm a former season ticket holder for the Pats but i cant condone that garbage. As for it changing the way defenders tackle that's BS. There isnt a coach out there at any level that teaches helmet to helmet tackling.
No but form tackling can lead to alot of helmet helmet contact if the ball carrier lowers his head.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-19-2010, 01:23 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
No but form tackling can lead to alot of helmet helmet contact if the ball carrier lowers his head.
Those don't lead to concussions though. I can't remember the last time I saw a guy have 'accidental' head contact and get a serious head injury.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Those don't lead to concussions though. I can't remember the last time I saw a guy have 'accidental' head contact and get a serious head injury.
Doesnt matter their not fining concussions their going to be fining helmet to helmet contact.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-19-2010, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
And i dont think those will lead to supspensions, there are laws on the book, it isnt like this is some radical legislation.

You know we're on the same page on most things but if someone comes in and goes helmet to helmet on Brady to get him out of the game that isnt competition as far as i see.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

No your right, and I dont want to sound like I'm condoning players leading with their helmets, I just think that this overreaction is going to lead to more overreactions when players adjust. When is it going to be enough, when we get scores like AZ/GB like yfs stated? Watching great offenses gets the average fan/NFL off, but I love watching amazing defenses where the game is won with maybe one or two scores. And alot of rule changes the last few years are heavily favoring offenses.

These players dont have to play football, its their choice. On top of which they also are making way more then adequate money to support their family's and have enough saved up in case an injury does take place. Were not hearing any of the players who got hurt complain about it, so why are the NFL execs freaking out. Have any players gone on record saying they support this?

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Jvig43 : 10-19-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:45 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been questioning whether or not this is the product of a 24 hour news cycle and commentators that are mostly former players with sore bodies and stories to tell. Not saying whether it's good or bad, just questioning it's origin and what's driving it.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

The players who are driving this (some of my all time favorite patriot players) need to shut the **** up. Harrison what the **** are you talking about, you would never defend this if you were playing other wise you wouldnt set foot on a football field, and idk why Bruschi is trying to say form tackling is to turn your body into the defender because that is not form tackling.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-19-2010, 02:03 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the only former players that were against this was Chris Carter and Tim Hasselbeck.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
I think the only former players that were against this was Chris Carter and Tim Hasselbeck.
Everyone on first take today basically just told Jay to shut the **** up when tried defending the NFL. Pretty funny. Edit; oh and just heard Golics rant and it was awesome.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-19-2010, 02:06 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

What rule would the NFL make, say now that defenders go lower and start breaking knees, ACL, MCL and hips?