Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Vikings Fan
Rookie

Vikings Fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Why we look the other way

Why we look the other way
By Chuck Klosterman
ESPN The Magazine

This article appears in the March 26 issue of ESPN The Magazine

Shawne Merriman weighs 272 pounds.

This is six pounds less than Anthony Muņoz, probably the most dominating left tackle of all time. Shawne Merriman also runs the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds. When Jerry Rice attended the NFL draft combine in 1985, he reportedly ran a 4.60; Rice would go on to gain more than 23,000 all-purpose yards while scoring 207 career touchdowns.

You do not need Mel Kiper's hard drive to deduce what these numbers mean: As an outside linebacker, Shawne Merriman is almost as big as the best offensive tackle who ever played and almost as fast as the best wide receiver who ever played.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...9&sportCat=nfl

---
Discuss.
---

Dammit I cant figure out this damned new posting configuration.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:14 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Athletes now-a-days are given all necessary tools to succeed and become the best athlete possible. Back when Rice and Munoz were in football the technology and science behind athletics were minimal and today athletes can become as big as a linemen and run like a wideout. It's just the times!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also the average size and speed of athletes has changed. Merrimen is just an A+ guy nowadays whereas 20 years ago he would have been off the charts. Do I believe his greatness is because of roids...? No. He has been the most dominate player in his league since jr high where he battled many family issues, poverty and growing up in a metro area with lots of violence.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gashead!!!

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:30 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think a lot of guys get a bad rap regarding steriods. I have never done anything in my life, other then Creatine for 2 months. Yet I get constant "steroid" remarks (mostly back about 4 years ago, but occasionaly now) when I just started working out a lot and got in shape.

I used to be in extremely good shape when i played HS ball and people would bring up steriods, when I never did them. I simply worked out a lot, and got in shape in a short period of time. I just started working out everyday, and that was that. I was always naturally strong, but before that I was a chubby kid sitting around eating cookies all day. Once I started working out, I just got jacked. its how it happens.

Now I dont go to the gym as often and got a small beer gut, but I still occasionaly get comments about roids. I think people should just ****. I mean its not my fault that you have bad genes and cant get in shape....

I cant even imagine what kind of crap pro athletes get
Old 03-19-2007, 11:37 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
I think a lot of guys get a bad rap regarding steriods. I have never done anything in my life, other then Creatine for 2 months. Yet I get constant "steroid" remarks (mostly back about 4 years ago, but occasionaly now) when I just started working out a lot and got in shape.

I used to be in extremely good shape when i played HS ball and people would bring up steriods, when I never did them. I simply worked out a lot, and got in shape in a short period of time. I just started working out everyday, and that was that. I was always naturally strong, but before that I was a chubby kid sitting around eating cookies all day. Once I started working out, I just got jacked. its how it happens.

Now I dont go to the gym as often and got a small beer gut, but I still occasionaly get comments about roids. I think people should just ****. I mean its not my fault that you have bad genes and cant get in shape....

I cant even imagine what kind of crap pro athletes get
People have a hard time believing that some people actually take the time out and get in shape and work hard when there are easy, none time consuming ways to get big.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:37 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Also the average size and speed of athletes has changed. Merrimen is just an A+ guy nowadays whereas 20 years ago he would have been off the charts. Do I believe his greatness is because of roids...? No. He has been the most dominate player in his league since jr high where he battled many family issues, poverty and growing up in a metro area with lots of violence.

That's ********. A good portion of Merriman's sacks come from excellent technique, wiffed calls and good schemes. Then again, a larger portion comes because of his size and speed. The speed he's got and the strength he's got are a direct result of using steroids...

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

with the numbers i put up in high school compared to what some of the old school NFL guys would have done I could of been a pro bowler, its all about evolution and technology

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The game has changed. When comparing players nowadays it is all about the context within which they played the game, not measurables.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:42 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I dont look the other way but I also dont like to jump into conclusions or villify certain players. Fact is I dont know the facts on these guys, I cant be positive that Merriman's physical ability is based on steroids, same thing for baseball or any other sport. Sure, it seems like Barry did it but we cant know for sure....but the bigger reason I dont like to single out players is because if we are gonna assume certain players do it, then its only fair to assume with that that it is widespread and in that case its not right to single out certain players just because they are better than the other guys who use steroids. Maybe its not right to let it slide, but its hard to find a good way to go about dealing with the problem, so I accept it and move on.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:43 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
The game has changed. When comparing players nowadays it is all about the context within which they played the game, not measurables.
this is very true too, to compare Merriman or any LB today to Jerry Rice is ludicrous, they were different eras. Athletes are bigger, stronger and faster now and there are tons of LBs who run in the 4.4s and 4.5s meaning theyre faster than the greatest WR ever. Its just how the game is now.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:56 AM    (permalink
Green Bay Scat
Pro Bowler

Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.

Ive got a question, what steriod did merriman get caught with, cause as i recall it just triggered the "steriod/illegal substance" catagory, i dont ever remember hearing it was straight steriods
Green Bay Scat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:17 AM    (permalink
MP123
Veteran

MP123 smells like sex panther.

The athletes these days are unreal. However, just because they aren't workout warriors doesn't mean they're not good. Look at Anquan Boldin. He ran a 4.7, picked in the second round, and had 101 reception and over 1,300 yards his rookie season.
MP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:24 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

one word........steriods

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:28 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I bet most players are on steroids. To be honest, I don't believe singling anyone out is the right course of action. After all, if we convict one freak athlete like Shawne Merriman, then we should scrutinize others like him. Brian Urlacher, Julius Peppers, Vernon Davis, etcetera, etcetera. Quite frankly, I don't care.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:21 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what most of us need to remember, is its a hell of a lot of supplements out there now, that jack you up, that are not steroids...NO2, cell tech, creatine etc all get you super huge in a short amount of time, as well as muscle mass, and speed, those things are legal, and werent around as much back then, or nearly as advanced as they are now....

i find it hard to believe, that without that supplement merriman was caught with, he would be a bench player....but we shall see what type of year he has this year, id just say you cant call steroids everytime a player is really big or fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:31 AM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
No. He has been the most dominate player in his league since jr high where he battled many family issues, poverty and growing up in a metro area with lots of violence.
I fail to see why you brought this up. Unless, of course, you are pointing out the well known fact that poor people with bad histories never use illegal substances.

If that's the case, I agree entirely.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:57 AM    (permalink
rickscott
Veteran

rickscott hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

When accused, he didn't fight it so that tells me something about his guilt or innocence in the steroid matter. He's still a super stud whether on them or not but for me personally, just like Bonds, if you take them, one has to question your accomplishments.
rickscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:55 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomp View Post
I fail to see why you brought this up. Unless, of course, you are pointing out the well known fact that poor people with bad histories never use illegal substances.

If that's the case, I agree entirely.
I'm saying that when he was younger he was as dominant then as he is today and his skills arent a direct result of steroids, but hard work.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:10 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
one word........steriods
two words: banned suplement

that does not mean steroids per say, so let's not make idiots out of ourselves.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:55 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I bet most players are on steroids. To be honest, I don't believe singling anyone out is the right course of action. After all, if we convict one freak athlete like Shawne Merriman, then we should scrutinize others like him. Brian Urlacher, Julius Peppers, Vernon Davis, etcetera, etcetera. Quite frankly, I don't care.
Two of those three guys are amongst the best technical players at their position and are renowned work out warriors. Besides that neither player has a shady past. Peppers was pinged in his rookie season for ephedra that was in a protein shake he drank. He didn't even know it was in there. Urlacher hasn't had an infraction either. Merriman violated the steroid policy. Speculation as to which players juice and which don't is complete ********.

I thought a poster of your calibre would be smarter than to post something they can't substantiate and above that, that just sounds plain old like childish ********. There's another reason to dislike Merriman, he tarnishes the name of the sport and people in the league with no discernible history of questionable actions.

He violated the NFL's Steroid Policy...

Quote:
Merriman's positive test was "definitely for steroids … not one of those supplement deals," said a source with knowledge of Merriman's suspension earlier Monday. Both the initial A sample and backup B sample came back positive, Mortensen reported.
Above Per ESPN
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/SD/9744836
http://football.about.com/b/a/257880.htm

Three sources enough proof for you?

Research then post before calling people idiots, however indirectly.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:01 AM    (permalink
frogstomp

Quote:
I'm saying that when he was younger he was as dominant then as he is today and his skills arent a direct result of steroids, but hard work.
Because everyone who dominates High School goes on to dominate the NFL...

And there are no people who have ever taken steroids in high school...

I'm not saying he's only good because of steroids, but your arguments about why he isn't taking them are stupid.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:09 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think the public understands how many people in the NFL use HGH. Its in every single lockerroom.

Thats why I got a kick out of everyone saying that "Oh, I don't respect SD, theyre all HGH users"

Guess what, chances are there are at least 4 guys on your team that are using HGH as well. Merriman's rival, DeMarcus Ware...it would not shock me at all if he was on HGH. Heck, his measureables are actually more freakish than Merriman's, so would it really be that much of a shock?

How can a guy who weighs 30 pounds lighter than Merriman (who's on juice none the less) bench more? Think about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Osi Umenyiora used it either. Nor would I be surprised if Peppers used it, especially with the Carolina steroid scandal. Same with Mario Williams. The Steeler's doctor just got caught ordering an assload of steroids and HGH from that pharmacy that got raided. You do the math, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why he did that.

The 70s steelers were a juiced up team, another thing that football historians tend to overlook. Romanowski admitted to being on steroids. As did other players, like Alzado.

Its been in the sport for a long time. Alot of great athletes of the sport have been doing it. Its the NFL's dark little secret. Its only getting publicity now because of the headlines that baseball has gotten for it. But make no mistake, this is not new, nor is it any more of an epidemic in the sport than it was years ago.

Shawne Merriman is the posterchild for it now because the problem needs a person to associate it with. And he fits the bill. Im not saying what he did was right, nor am I saying that everyone's doing something, but to think that he's the only one would be rather naive.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 03-20-2007 at 10:15 AM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:54 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Once again, I agree completely BBD. It would not surprise me if any player was found guilty of using HGH. It's simply too easy too attain, too easy to use, and too hard to test for for an obscene amount of players not be using it.

Remember, these athletes are competing for a paycheck, and this is a substance that could help them earn a substantial amount more than they'd be worth without it. It's EVERYWHERE. You'd be naive to think otherwise.

I just did a google search on "purchasing human growth hormone." Just look at all the responses. It's incredibly easy to get.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ormone&spell=1
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:02 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

People who say Merriman's results are solely based on his steroid usage are either Merriman haters or too foolish to understand how steroids effect a person. I'm a Charger fan, and yes it pains to me to say it, but the truth is Merriman did fail a steroid test. That's not something I approve of or condone, but he failed one test, and took full accountability for it. Merriman is a player who had been tested numerous times by the league prior to the incident, and after the incident. It was the first test he failed, and since he failed it, he passed a number of tests proving he was clean for the entire season (his failed test took place over the summer). I know the effects of steroids don't wear off instantly, but they don't start instantly either. He was clean all those times before he failed his test, which is why I believe he did a one time thing, tried to cheat, which I know, is unacceptable, and got caught. He paid his punishment though. To say that the things he had done his rookie year, and for the majority of his soph year are solely based on steriods, and not countless practices and work on his technique is both naive and stupid.

EDIT: I didn't feel it was necesary to leave another post, but having read some more over the thread again, good post BBD i agree.

Last edited by JK17 : 03-20-2007 at 12:05 PM.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote