Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 10-30-2010, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Rodger's Regression?

I felt like this topic deserved its own thread.

Rodgers this year has simply not been the same Rodgers as last year. Here is my breakdown.

Accuracy Last Year - A.
Accuracy This Year - B-.
Analysis: Rodger's accuracy this year has been noticeably worse. He's missed receivers big time and while he displays flashes of last year's brilliance and pinpoint accuracy, overall he's not displaying the consistency with hitting his spots.

Arm Strength Last Year - B+.
Arm Strength This Year - B+.
Analysis: Not the strongest armed QB in the league but able to make all of the throws and a talented deep ball thrower. The arm strength has not changed, as evidenced by that throw to Jennings against Miami.

Decision Making Last Year - A+.
Decision Making This Year - B-.
Analysis: Rodger's biggest strength has been his decision making. Over his first two years he was the best QB on third down and under 5+ blitz while only throwing 7 picks all of last year. This is testament to his decision making being as good as any QB in the league. This year, however, he's been questionable; ranking mediocre to badly on third down and under 5+ blitz while already throwing nine picks, including two in the red zone.

Clutch Factor Last Year - C-.
Clutch Factor This Year - C-.
Analysis: Rodger's biggest weakness is his lack of production in clutch 4th quarter situations. The Packers have lost a startling percentage of close games with him at the helm and no matter how you look at it, he just hasn't performed in these situations. I would rank last week's game as the biggest of his starting career and the fact is we only won because of our defense.

Overall Last Year - A-.
Overall This Year - B.
Analysis: Last year Rodgers seemed to enter the elite pantheon of QBs. This year he's still amongst the top 5, but only because other elite QBs have also struggled and no QBs have made a jump. The question is, what has happened to cause this regression? I feel like an injury can be ruled out because his arm strength is still there and that accuracy still shows up when he takes his time. The concussion could be affecting him a bit but that's a recent occurrence. My reaction is to blame two causes.

A) Reaction to last year. We all know that Rodgers was getting destroyed last year and has in a few games this year. I think, as a reaction, he may have worked on making quicker reads and throws which in theory sounds great but I feel like it's caused him to not evaluate the defense as thoroughly and force too much with his arm, causing quick (and bad) decisions and improper technique (lackluster accuracy.)

B) To a lesser extent, injuries. I think Grant going down made him feel like he really has to carry the offense and really escalated the forcing issue. I think the constant turnover on the offense line has also caused this. And look, I'm not going to sit here and blame the refs for his play but we all have seen that he's one of the few QBs in the league that refs allow to get beat up. How many hits has he taken that every ref would have thrown a flag, hat, underwear on if it was Brett Favre?

So the question is, can Rodgers get back to where he was last year and then take the next step? I think the answer is clearly that he can. The offensive line is starting to gel, his receivers are taking responsibility and should step up, Jackson has looked good the last couple of weeks, and the kennel of backup TEs seem sufficient. This is still a ridiculously young team that should have the same core for years to come, it just needs to settle in.

Opinions?

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:28 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a Packer fan, but in England we get certain games and for some reason all the time the Packers seem to play on Sunday night or Monday night. Rodgers has looked a bit lost this year, honestly I think the whole hype of the team, Grant going down, lack of trust in his offensive line and taking a lot of shots really seems to of shaken him up, I reckon he will hit a stride later in the season and lead you guys on a good play off push.
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:37 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I pretty much agree completely with everything you said and like you my biggest question is: where did this come from?

My current theory kind of falls in line with what some former quarterback said on TV about QBs going through 3 stages of development.

I think he started his first game with stage 1 complete. He was humbled by the transition and realized he was no longer a college superstar that could do no wrong, and really dedicated himself to getting better. He put his trust in his coaches completely and tried to do everything he could to play within the system and allow his teammates to make plays.

Starting this year he finished stage 2. He had a lot of success and was being hyped up as the best young quarterback in the league. He was a superstar again. He's thinking he can do no wrong again. He's starting to give a little blame to his receivers or his coaches when he screws up, even if he doesn't say so. He thinks he doesn't have to prepare as well anymore. He thinks he can go out there and throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs on talent and instincts.

He needs to hit stage 3 as soon as possible. He has to realize that the NFL is hard as hell and he has to hold himself to the highest possible standard if he wants to succeed. He has to transition into the quarterback that doesn't make excuses for anything. He has to get to the Peyton Manning mind set where he isn't satisfied until he knows every last detail about his offense and their defense. He has to measure his success in wins and losses, period, regardless of how many points his defense gives up, how bad his offensive line is, or what practice squad receivers he is throwing to.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:28 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rodgers had a very ugly box score but I thought he played the best game of the year. 0 INTs and no risky throws come to mind. The Jets D was playing lock down defense on our WRs. He would have had a much better completion percentage but he threw a lot of balls away because nothing was there and there were some drops, notably the James Jones one that would have gone for a bunch of yards and a TD.

A big reason for winning this game was the zero turnovers forcing the Jets to go 80 yards almost every possession.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 10-31-2010, 06:05 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
Rodgers had a very ugly box score but I thought he played the best game of the year.

His completion percentage was 44%, and his passer rating was in the 50's.
He guided the Packers to a pathetic 2-14 on 3rd down conversions and had 3 passes called for him in the first half from 1st & goal at the 6, and he led us to no touchdowns.

The offense was totally bailed out by the defense.
There's no need to sugarcoat that fact right there.

Kudos to Desmond Bishop today. Where are all those pundits who said he wasn't good enough to start, that he was just a good player in August like a Tyrell Sutton?
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:12 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

maybe you should read the rest of my post instead of just what you put in bold where I said his box score looked like crap because of throw aways and he didn't turn the ball over once

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 10-31-2010, 06:23 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
maybe you should read the rest of my post instead of just what you put in bold where I said his box score looked like crap because of throw aways and he didn't turn the ball over once
I read it all, and what you are right about is him not throwing interceptions was important. That's true, obviously. That's something Farve did for us that lost games. True, Rodgers didn't lose us the game today.

But to call this today Rodgers' best game of the year? Come on now.
We all need a mulligan every now and then.

I certainly need a BIG mulligan on Tramon Williams because I was sure he didn't have what it took to be a good starting NFL CB. Glad as hell to be wrong there!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:28 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
Clutch Factor Last Year - C-.
Clutch Factor This Year - C-.
Analysis: Rodger's biggest weakness is his lack of production in clutch 4th quarter situations. The Packers have lost a startling percentage of close games with him at the helm and no matter how you look at it, he just hasn't performed in these situations. I would rank last week's game as the biggest of his starting career and the fact is we only won because of our defense.

Opinions?
Good post Sportsfan.

One more thing to add in the Clutch category is the crucial 3rd down category.
I think last year he was #1 in the NFL, and because of that, we kept the chains moving and the ball.

This year, our 3rd down conversion rate has been abysmal. Today it was 2-14.

Down & Distance has not been favorable. But he's misfired a lot on 3rd downs, and the receivers just aren't getting open as much as last year. And of course all the drops.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:19 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No Ryan Grant that simple. Teams dont respect our running game at all anymore. Its much easier to defend against the pass when you dont have to worry about stopping the run.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Favre4ever
Rookie

Favre4ever could make a wolverine purr.Favre4ever could make a wolverine purr.Favre4ever could make a wolverine purr.Favre4ever could make a wolverine purr.Favre4ever could make a wolverine purr.Favre4ever could make a wolverine purr.

There is no regression at all. At times this year, he has played better than he ever has but its not consistent. Reason? Hes trying to do too much. He feels like he has to carry the team with all the injuries and all but hes hurting the team more by doing that. Rodgers is not Payton Manning, hes Aaron Rodgers. He needs to stay within himself and stick to what he does best. When he plays his game, hes a Top QB. Add to the fact that we have no running game and that he lost his missmatch TE and that will hurt your game. Rodgers is fine and will get better as the season goes on. Due to the lack of running game, we shouldnt expect the same numbers he put on last two years but he will be great nonetheless.
Favre4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:38 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This game against the Jets their game plan was to get the ball out quick and not get sacked or strip fumble. They weren't worried about completion %
Old 10-31-2010, 10:20 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
No Ryan Grant that simple. Teams dont respect our running game at all anymore. Its much easier to defend against the pass when you dont have to worry about stopping the run.
That's exactly it. PackerLegend is right on the ****** money once again.

You guys remember the series where we had first and goal at the 6?
It came after the interception, and then the nice pass to Jennings who got down to the 6.

First and goal, we ran 3 passes. And all 3 passes were well covered, with every guy bracketed. They had 6-7 guys back there covering. It was like that on a lot of other plays as well.

They are basically daring us to run now with no Grant or no legit threat. Now some of us like Koooon and Jackson, but teams don't respect them so they put a lot more emphasis on defending the pass. It's made it harder to pass, harder to get guys open.

It's been so surprising to see Rodgers go back to throw.... and have to go to option B.... then C.... then throw it away or throw it and then see the guy not open.

McCarthy needs to change things up, and I think he will.

More screen passes. Different screen passes. Jacksonville ran a beautiful one today to score against Dallas. They pumped right to MJD.... then threw the screen over to the left and had a wall of 3 blockers.... easy touchdown.

More draw plays. Take advantage of the defense backing up to defend the run.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:50 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
This game against the Jets their game plan was to get the ball out quick and not get sacked or strip fumble. They weren't worried about completion %
It was actually to make Mark Sanchez beat them but anyways, I wasn't going to comment on this thread because its pretty monotonous in relation to any QB but here it goes.

I look at his "regression" this year as more of a progression. Rodgers has been given much more flexability at the line this year with audibles and adjustments. We've all seen him check out of plays and so forth more than ever this season and while his numbers aren't on par with his past 2 seasons, I think we're seeing the progression of Rodgers into a much more complex QB. He's seeing and understanding the defenses more which is a good thing, but in effect I think there's several factors working against his favor.

1) I've noticed that we're using up pretty much the entire playclock on nearly every down. To an aware pass rusher I'd be watching the playclock and rushing accordingly.

2) When making an adjustment or calling an audible at the line he needs everyone to be on the same page, particularly his receivers. What we've seen alot of this year is that they both are not on the same page and when they are, there has been drops.

3) Alot of the bread and butter plays are gone. Slants, curls, and "picks" have seen to have vanished from our playbooks. Those plays account for alot of the yardage, yac, and completion percentage that we've seen in the past. This year Rodgers seems to be trying to place the ball alot more instead of letting his receivers create the yardage after the catch. For instance, Greg Jennings is averaging nearly 2.5 yards less after the catch than his career average. Thats roughly 60 less yards that he should have this season.

4) The loss of Ryan Grant does hurt but it doesn't hurt nearly as bad and the lack of run plays that we've run. Brandon Jackson isn't on the level of Grant but he's still a capable RB who's on pace for over 800 rushing yards on only 190 attempts. Thats nearly 100 less rushing attempts than what Ryan Grant has averaged the past 2 seasons.

All in all though I'm not worried about Rodgers. The past 2 seasons have shown his consistancy and while his INTs are up, his yardage, TDs, and completion percentage are still on par. Not bad considering we lost our starting RB and countless players on defense. I'd like to see what other QBs could do in his situation. This is his definition of progression.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:47 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not really worried about Rodgers but I think the comments that he hasn't regressed at all are probably not the most clearheaded. The fact that he's missing throws he was consistently making last year and his 5 most bone-headed interceptions are probably all this year are telling.

Now, I agree that we seem to have opened up the playbook and it honestly seems like a mistake. Our WRs are all tremendously talented after the catch and we really just need to be getting the ball in their hands more.

I also tend to agree that this is, in a way, progression in that he's trying to do more (too much) and at some point he's going to find a balance. He's also getting a bit gunshy and fearing the blitz and that needs to be solved with more consistent line play and a better running game.

Even without Grant our scoring is simply too low right now. There's not a good excuse for the talent on our offense not to be scoring 20+ points. Now, this last game.. with how well our D was playing I can understand not risking things, but as was mentioned we need to be scoring 7 on a 1st and goal from the 6 every single time. We lost that 'skins game because we failed 4 downs at the goal line, too.

Rodgers is starting to get hobbled this year so I really hope we focus on the run in a Dallas game our defense SHOULD be able to dominate and grind it out to get Rodgers as healthy as possible into the bye. I'd rather take a loss than have him get sacked once in that game, honestly.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:49 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a fan of this thread...Just saying...I could understand this thread if the Pack were 3-5 instead of 5-3, but they are not so lets keep positive.

Also, if we are going to talk about regression: why don't we talk about all the dropped balls from our receivers?

But lets not...enjoy a big win and hopefully a big win next game to have us at 6-3.
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:58 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboiajhawk View Post
Not a fan of this thread...Just saying...I could understand this thread if the Pack were 3-5 instead of 5-3, but they are not so lets keep positive.

Also, if we are going to talk about regression: why don't we talk about all the dropped balls from our receivers?

But lets not...enjoy a big win and hopefully a big win next game to have us at 6-3.
That's a great point there.

One more thing that comes to mind seeing the struggles of the passing game and all the drops: Maybe we're not set at WR with Jones and Jordy afterall?

Many of us thought those guys were as good as many team's starters. Jones is so up & down and drops the ball on key plays way more than we should have to tolerate.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:21 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
That's a great point there.

One more thing that comes to mind seeing the struggles of the passing game and all the drops: Maybe we're not set at WR with Jones and Jordy afterall?

Many of us thought those guys were as good as many team's starters. Jones is so up & down and drops the ball on key plays way more than we should have to tolerate.
I dunno, drops happen. We've had some really bad games for drops this year, sure, but it doesn't explain Rodgers missing throws.

I really do agree that Jones and Nelson are iffy. Jones reminds me of a mini-Dwayne Bowe, which is not flattering. Nelson is no better than an average #3 who doesn't stretch the field, imo.

And to whoever said we're 5-3, don't complain.. slightly better QB play and we'd be 7-1. We lost two OT games and a game we really should have won (although, in fairness, that Chicago game wasn't Rodgers screwup; the other two he dropped the ball.)

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 11-02-2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:15 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
I dunno, drops happen. We've had some really bad games for drops this year, sure, but it doesn't explain Rodgers missing throws.

I really do agree that Jones and Nelson are iffy. Jones reminds me of a mini-Dwayne Bowe, which is not flattering. Nelson is no better than an average #3 who doesn't stretch the field, imo.

And to whoever said we're 5-3, don't complain.. slightly better QB play and we'd be 7-1. We lost two OT games and a game we really should have won (although, in fairness, that Chicago game wasn't Rodgers screwup; the other two he dropped the ball.)
Sure it does mean something when drops happen. Look at Arod's stats this year; he has completed 165 passes and attempted 269, giving him a completion percentage of 61.3.... Now lets say between Quarless, Driver, Jennings, Jones, and Nelson they all had caught two more passes that had previously been dropped. That would give Arod an extra 10 completions making his completion percentage go up to 65.1 percent (That would be his all-time high)

I know that the receivers have been uncharacteristically bad this year when it comes to drops, but when a receiver drops a ball on third down that was thrown to him and we then have to punt or kick a field goal, that is a big deal...

I will agree with you that A-rod has missed some passes but still you can't just discount the receivers for having too many drops.

Last edited by bigboiajhawk : 11-03-2010 at 01:32 PM.
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:51 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

As long as the guys drops are a thing of the past, and they put glue on their fingers from here on out, we'll be in good shape.

Stick their hands in a jar of honey or syrup at IHOP before the games.
Or put gum on their fingertips like David Tyree had on his helmet in that Super Bowl.