Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 01-07-2011, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallb View Post
Congrats to him, still my favorite player on the team.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:05 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would really like it if McDaniels was our OC. He's groomed a couple good QB's, and maybe he could convince Frazier to bring in Orton to help polish up a rookie QB or Joe Webb.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:18 PM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doesn't sound like McDaniels will be coaching here next year. I'm kind of confused as to why we interviewed him in the first place. Frazier stated that he wants to go to a run heavy power offense, which is pretty much the opposite of what McDaniels has been running the past few years. I'm not saying he's not capable of running more than a spread type offense, but it seems it would make sense for him to stick with what he is comfortable with.

It would be fun to see Harvin, Rice, Shiancoe and Peterson in a spread but I think that with the personnel we currently have a grind it out run heavy philosophy fits best.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So guys...Aso is a free agent...

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:14 PM    (permalink
russie
Veteran

russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

god, how great would that be if we could land one of the top 2 corners in the league
Old 01-09-2011, 07:15 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes_28 View Post
So guys...Aso is a free agent...
This better happen.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:03 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aso would be ultra sweet to get but I have to think there are several better teams that will be bidding pretty hard on him...

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:41 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
Doesn't sound like McDaniels will be coaching here next year. I'm kind of confused as to why we interviewed him in the first place. Frazier stated that he wants to go to a run heavy power offense, which is pretty much the opposite of what McDaniels has been running the past few years. I'm not saying he's not capable of running more than a spread type offense, but it seems it would make sense for him to stick with what he is comfortable with.

It would be fun to see Harvin, Rice, Shiancoe and Peterson in a spread but I think that with the personnel we currently have a grind it out run heavy philosophy fits best.

Exactly. McDaniels is a great offensive mind and QB coach but Adrian Peterson is the base of your offense and while he is a fit in any type of offense McDaniels didn't seem like the ideal fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:25 PM    (permalink
russie
Veteran

russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Darrell Bevell, Brian Murphy on their way out in Minnesota

Posted by Mike Florio on January 9, 2011, 10:11 PM EST

Although new Vikings coach Leslie Frazier has yet to part ways with offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell or special-teams coordinator Brian Murphy, it’s just a matter of time.

Frazier has informed both men that they are free to look for other jobs.

“We’re trying to get some things done,” Frazier told Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com. “We’ll make some decisions here real soon.”

In other words, Frazier will soon be hiring a new offensive coordinator, and a new special-teams coordinator.

“One of the things I’m trying to do with all of our coaches, whether you’re on the offensive side, defensive side or special teams is just look at everything with an eye towards winning a championship in Minnesota,” Frazier said. “Whichever direction we go in any of those positions or coordinators — running backs, linebackers, defensive backs — I just want our fans to know that the point of it is that we’re working towards winning a championship with every decision, and that’s the whole goal of it.”

Bevell’s looming departure means that the Vikings will be ditching the West Coast offense. It also means that the chances of yet another Brett Favre return have plummeted to less than zero percent.

Former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels recently interviewed for the position of offensive coordinator, which would put the Vikings in play for Tim Tebow or, perhaps more likely, Kyle Orton.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:29 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

I like how Frazier is cleaning house and doing things his way.

I thought someone said that McDaniels was out of the running for OC.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Kid_Ego
Veteran

Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.Kid_Ego smells like sex panther.

You will have a hard time finding any defensive coach who suppourts a pass heavy offense most will lean towards run heavy ball control offensives. I think we have roster to do something like the 90 cowboys I think it starts with a ball control qb.
Kid_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:51 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm interested in McDaniels, the offense he ran in the first 8 weeks at Denver was actually a run heavy and based offense, if he is going to bring that with him then he could be an excellent fit for our team as we need a QB developed and we have the other pieces in place or can acquire them in the draft.

We need a few pieces but a good draft would have us looking very competitive outside of our QB situation.

I actually wouldn't hate seeing us in a spread similar to what Florida ran under Meyer in that it would be run based. Harvin is obviously brilliantly suited to a spread, Rice would be a great field stretcher, Peterson has become a good catcher and would really benefit from a bit of extra pace. The spread doesn't have to be pass heavy and as long as we are balanced with a slight emphasis on pass I don't really care how we achieve it!

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, our 2011 opponents have been announced.

Quote:
Home Games

Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Arizona Cardinals, Oakland Raiders and Denver Broncos.

Away Games

Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Washington Redskins, Carolina Panthers, Atlanta Falcons, San Diego Chargers and Kansas City Chiefs.
We've got the NFC South and AFC West, plus each team in the NFC North will play one team from the NFC East(we get Washington) and NFC West(we get Arizona), since we finished with the worst record in our division we play the teams with the worst record in those divisions.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:53 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

Quote:
So, our 2011 opponents have been announced.

We've got the NFC South and AFC West, plus each team in the NFC North will play one team from the NFC East(we get Washington) and NFC West(we get Arizona), since we finished with the worst record in our division we play the teams with the worst record in those divisions.
Booo no giants.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

Meh we get the AFC West now that Oakland and KC actually look respectable. NFC South is kind of nasty.

Another tough schedule!

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:35 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Meh we get the AFC West now that Oakland and KC actually look respectable. NFC South is kind of nasty.

Another tough schedule!
Didn't the vikes have two teams from the NFC south last year?

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:38 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Didn't the vikes have two teams from the NFC south last year?
I can only think of the Saints in week 1 and I can't think of any reason why we would have though?

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:39 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's impossible to have two (or 0 or 3). You either have 1 or 4.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:00 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I think vikes meant the good year as last year but we only had the Saints this year and no NFC South teams in 2009;

Super late edit- We played the Panthers in 09 actually.

Last edited by yo123 : 01-18-2011 at 10:08 PM.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:29 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Singletary confirmed that he's joining our staff as LB coach

Quote:
Mike Singletary told ESPN 1000 on Tuesday that he is joining the Minnesota Vikings staff, where he will be reunited with former Chicago Bears teammate Leslie Frazier.

"I will be in Minnesota with Les," Singletary told "The Waddle & Silvy Show." "I will be a linebackers coach/assistant head coach."

Singletary was fired as the San Francisco 49ers head coach with one game left in the season.

Singletary and Frazier were teammates on the Bears' 1985 Super Bowl championship team.

Frazier became the Vikings head coach when Brad Childress was fired in November.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:49 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

Quote:
Interesting.

Apparently Bill Musgrave is meeting in Minnesota tonight. And Josh McDaniels is still in the running for OC apparrently as well.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:23 PM    (permalink
russie
Veteran

now that the singletary addition is official, maybe greenway will get the respect and recognition he deserves
Old 01-18-2011, 03:24 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am quite happy with Singletary.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 PM    (permalink
MNtoWA Guy
Rookie

MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now that McDaniels is officially out of the running for OC I can't same I am not glad. Sure the guy is talented, but I never saw how he would fit with this team. The Vikings are a team built to run the football with AP, a big bodied offensive line, and good run-blocking TE's. McDaniels embodies all that is the opposite of that with his pass-happy offense. I really hope the Vikings can bring in Musgrave as OC. I really like how he helped develop Matt Ryan, and regardless of what we decide to do in the draft we are going to have a young QB in need of development.

I really hope whoever becomes our OC utilizes our TE's more in the running game. I think AP would be able to run so much more effectively if we use more 2 TE sets with no FB. AP has good vision and burst already, but I think being set back farther from the offensive line without having to wait for his FB to lead through a hole would actually help him. He would be able to see the hole as it is opening and hit it at almost full speed. I also wouldn't mind not seeing Tahi on the field, never thought he was that great of a lead blocker anyway.
MNtoWA Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Now that McDaniels is officially out of the running for OC I can't same I am not glad. Sure the guy is talented, but I never saw how he would fit with this team.
Little disappointed with it myself but I think that the offense he ran with Denver in the first half of his first season is closer to what he wanted to run but he just didn't have horses from that point on. That said, anything has to be better than last year for us so that's a win...

Musgrave would be a really nice fit though, I like what he did with Atlanta, though I wouldn't mind him being a little bit more aggressive going downfield at times, but that could have as much to do with Ryan and the receivers as the actual playcalling, it also probably wasn't ideal with their line needing some protecting at times and not wanting to expose it which is very similar to how our line will almost certainly look as I've heard nothing of getting rid of the turnstile(McKinnie) and if we aren't addressing his complete lack of ability then it would seem we aren't addressing the line at all.

Quote:
I really hope whoever becomes our OC utilizes our TE's more in the running game. I think AP would be able to run so much more effectively if we use more 2 TE sets with no FB. AP has good vision and burst already, but I think being set back farther from the offensive line without having to wait for his FB to lead through a hole would actually help him. He would be able to see the hole as it is opening and hit it at almost full speed. I also wouldn't mind not seeing Tahi on the field, never thought he was that great of a lead blocker anyway.
Agree with this entirely. I really dislike Tahi, I don't think he is any good at all and still think letting Richardson go was one of our worst personnel moves in recent times. We do have good blocking TEs so it would make sense to use them more. I also like the idea of a lot of single back stuff for AP, be it 2 TE or 3 WR sets but either way I'd like less Tahi.

The only flaw in that plan is that our line needs to get better by a lot in both pass and run blocking. Tahi's main job seemed to be making up for missed assignments on the line rather than actually opening holes or getting AP into space. We also needed him out there to protect on pass plays if we wanted to use Peterson as a receiver at all and he is dangerous as a receiver.

Overall I think that OL is our biggest need outside of QB and secondary but that it also may be the most important part to address as it wont matter who is at QB if we protect like we did last year, there is a reason we got down to our third string QB and really I think Webb is as good a fit back there as any of the 1st rounders this year with how bad our OL was, at least he can run and is cheap.

I almost feel like we should just bite the bullet and rebuild because I cant see us competing with the Packers in the next few years as we are currently made up. You can't have no secondary, adequate LBs and a good DL and hope to contain teams, we basically rely on Greenway far too much at LB and the DL to dominate to have a chance. Then we have a poor OL and no QB. You just can't hope to win in that scenario. I'd love us to take 2-3 OL hopefully headline by Carimi as the franchise LT we need and to get some serious secondary help as well. QB is going to be strong next year so unless there is just too much value to resist on one of this years I'd rather address it next year, we have a young RB and WRs, get the OL sorted then get the passer imo. Defense seems to be far easier to address with free agency.

Props to BK on the sig!