Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 11-30-2009, 11:09 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
It figures that once we get really good the Saints seem unstoppable.
Yes, they're very good, but I do think we match up well with the Saints. New England had huge success running the ball in the first half with Maroney. I like our running game a hell of a lot more than theirs.

The Saints can't be stopped, but they can be slowed down. It takes a hell of a game from the front 4 to do so. As in stopping the run with 7 in the box, getting pressure with 4 man fronts. We can do this.

Getting Winfield back would be absolutely huge. You just can't play man against this team, it's too risky with Brees shredding you. You gotta hope for the turnover or pressure from the front 4 and keeping them in front of you. We saw what happened with a single high safety tonight. Absolutely torched.

Remember, this team's not without faults. They got outplayed by Carolina and St. Louis of all teams kept it close with them for the entire game.

However, we gotta get to that point before we really start worrying about the Saints. This season's becoming far too special for us to look ahead and lose to a Green Bay/Dallas type team in the playoffs due to lack of focus. I just wish we can get homefield advantage at our barn for the playoffs. Not that I think the Metrodome is a huge advantage, but it's better than going on the road. That place looked like a mental house on TV tonight.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:12 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_legend_killer View Post
Anyone else been impressed with Jimmy Kennedy's work within the rotation? He'll probably never be what they thought he was coming out of Penn State, but he could be a big part of the rotation for the future, especially possibly filling in for Big Pat down the road.
He's a nice stopgap for Pat on 3rd downs, but he's in their because he's a pass rusher, not a nose tackle like Fat Pat is. Fred Evans is more of an NT than Kennedy.

I will say that Kennedy has been very impressive on 3rd downs this year.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:16 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Gotta hand it to Childress so far this year. He's impressed me a whole lot with the use of Harvin, throwing on early downs, more motions/shifts, and just the overall aggression from he and Bevell's playcalling. Gotta wonder how much he really believed in Jackson and Frerotte or if he's just realizing really how good Favre is.

He's earned his extension, as crappy as that once sounded.

No coach is perfect, and yes, he makes some dumb decisions at times, but he's cut down on them by what seems like tenfold.

Add in the drafting of Harvin, persistence of Sidney Rice, drafting of Loadholt (who's been extremely solid this year), the willingness to take a semi-gamble by taking Peterson with Taylor already in the backfield, he's a very good evaluator of talent and is now showing that he can utilize it.

Edit : forgot letting Matt Birk go (who sucks for Baltimore btw) and the development of Sullivan (he's not a world beater but he's been better than Birk for far less $)
Old 11-30-2009, 11:49 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Mike Florio of PFT says this team looks every bit as good as '98 and '75.

Nah, not there yet. That '98 team absolutely busted a nut on pretty much every team they played. I still can't believe that team didn't even make the Super Bowl. That team had two hall of fame receivers, a HOF defensive tackle, a great secondary, good linebackers, one of the best backs in football, and oh yeah, the greatest guard to ever play the game. Plus two more Pro Bowlers on the line.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DON'T TALK ABOUT THAT TEAM!!!!! THAT NEVER HAPPENED!!

I agree that we are capable of beating the Saints, but not if they're firing on all cylinders like they were tonight. If they play like that no one is beating them this year. We should be able to run the ball on them, but that's assuming our run game stops being mediocre. The line isn't run blocking, Peterson isn't always finding the hole when it is there...this isn't the Minnesota Vikings run game that I'm watching lately. Hopefully we can get it together. The O-line has completely flipped as of late. Before they were pretty good at run blocking and sucked at protecting the QB and now it's the other way around. Which I suppose is good in a way being that we have a 40 year old statue at quarterback.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Mike Florio of PFT says this team looks every bit as good as '98 and '75.

Nah, not there yet. That '98 team absolutely busted a nut on pretty much every team they played. I still can't believe that team didn't even make the Super Bowl. That team had two hall of fame receivers, a HOF defensive tackle, a great secondary, good linebackers, one of the best backs in football, and oh yeah, the greatest guard to ever play the game. Plus two more Pro Bowlers on the line.
If we put away the rest of the teams we play, then I could see that. But at this point, no way. So I was talking about this with a buddy the other day...You guys think Randy Moss will retire a Viking?

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:10 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes_29 View Post
If we put away the rest of the teams we play, then I could see that. But at this point, no way. So I was talking about this with a buddy the other day...You guys think Randy Moss will retire a Viking?

Haha, that would be awesome. But we're set at receiver now, I don't see us even making a play for him. And I'm sure he's more than happy in New England.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:24 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Haha, that would be awesome. But we're set at receiver now, I don't see us even making a play for him. And I'm sure he's more than happy in New England.
I agree. I told my friend that he was an idiot. Unless Moss really loved Minnesota or something, I don't see him ever coming back.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes_29 View Post
I agree. I told my friend that he was an idiot. Unless Moss really loved Minnesota or something, I don't see him ever coming back.
Yea Moss doesn't really strike me as the sentimental type. I am sure he has good feelings about all his Viking fans. However I really doubt he could care less about coming back to Minnesota just to retire as a Viking simply for the nostalgia of doing so.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, they're very good, but I do think we match up well with the Saints. New England had huge success running the ball in the first half with Maroney. I like our running game a hell of a lot more than theirs.

The Saints can't be stopped, but they can be slowed down. It takes a hell of a game from the front 4 to do so. As in stopping the run with 7 in the box, getting pressure with 4 man fronts. We can do this.

Getting Winfield back would be absolutely huge. You just can't play man against this team, it's too risky with Brees shredding you. You gotta hope for the turnover or pressure from the front 4 and keeping them in front of you. We saw what happened with a single high safety tonight. Absolutely torched.

Remember, this team's not without faults. They got outplayed by Carolina and St. Louis of all teams kept it close with them for the entire game.

However, we gotta get to that point before we really start worrying about the Saints. This season's becoming far too special for us to look ahead and lose to a Green Bay/Dallas type team in the playoffs due to lack of focus. I just wish we can get homefield advantage at our barn for the playoffs. Not that I think the Metrodome is a huge advantage, but it's better than going on the road. That place looked like a mental house on TV tonight.

I agree I really think the Vikes match up very well with this Saints team. I am not very worried about them wether it be at New Orleans or Minnesota. Not that I take the Saints lightly but the Vikes have also been playing extremely good football this year and IMO are capable of beating anyone anywhere.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:32 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Berrian trying to match Adrian.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...PQLanchO 7DiU

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:34 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

It's not a smart thing to do by any means, but I would be willing to bet that the majority of posters here have floored it on more than one occasion on the highway.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Getting a mullet militia shirt...awesome. And Berrian you can't even reach a higher speed than Peterson behind the wheel. Puss.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Open stretches of highway should be ticket free if there's no traffic around, imo.

Personally, I like lighting the one when there's no traffic around but it's pretty stupid at night b/c you can never see the PCs tucked away on the shoulders.

Then again, if I had the money to own the sick cars these guys roll, I would be buying up track time like a fiend. Lots of safe, legal places to go balls to the wall in the whip.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just saw this on PFT.

Quote:
E.J. Henderson could be running in two months
Posted by Mike Florio on December 7, 2009 9:23 PM ET

When linebacker E.J. Henderson's lower leg flopped unnaturally after taking friendly fire to his thigh on Sunday night, many viewers feared that Henderson might never play again.

Not so, says a doctor who has treated skiers with the same injury.

Henderson fractured his femur, the large leg bone above the knee. Dr. David Thorson tells Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press that Henderson possibly could be running in two months.

"Assuming everything is as it should be, my guess is he'll be participating in training camp," said Thorson. "The bone heals fast, and he's a healthy guy."

Thorson explained that it can be more difficult to recover from a serious knee injury than a fractured femur. He said that a compression rod is inserted to stabilize the bone and prevent muscle spasms or further internal damage.

Though it's important to note that Thorson hasn't treated or evaluated Henderson (and, yes, we've previously criticized doctors for talking about patients other than their own), the perspective is surprisingly encouraging for one of the key members of the Minnesota defense.
So maybe it isn't as bad as everyone thinks? I really hope this is the case for him and the team. But any encouraging new is good.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Wow, that's awesome. Good for him, I definitely didn't expect that.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:55 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

I watched the replay of Henderson's injury. I don't know if I should post it or not, cause it really had me shocked. I can upon request. Or you can just look it up yourself.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

eh, I seen it once. Thats enough for me. Its great to hear some good news about EJ.

I wouldnt be surprised if we brought in a vetern LB just till the end of the season. Jasper did look good at time this pre season. I noticed when he had to drop into coverage he looked pretty confused. But then again he is a rookie, and it was just pre season.

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

I hope that this doctor is correct, but it's certainly difficult to believe after watching the play on which EJ was hurt.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:03 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

And you know, these kinds of injuries are always worse when its accidentally caused by your teammate. :( I never thought I'd be this sensitive about a guy I've never met. The better word for my feelings would be sympathetic.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:44 PM    (permalink
jimmylishis
Rookie

jimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

just wanted to say that E.J. is a great guy. Im part of the E.J. Henderson youth foundation and have spent some time with him. Hes really a nice guy and has done a lot for the community.

sig by BoneKrusher
jimmylishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bring back Nap Harris! My irrational man love player. You know you all have one guy that despite him not being all that good you support him to the death!

Good to hear that EJ should be back, looked pretty nasty, and even those guys who never come back have Drs saying they will be back, but until proven otherwise have to believe it. Guy is just so unlucky when it comes to injuries.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

Brett Favre was one of Barbara Walters 10 most fascinating people of 2009. Thought you ought to know...

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Quote:
I have an iPhone.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:47 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Chris Mortenson on Twitter

"Hear it's looking good for Antoine Winfield to finally return this week.
about 1 hour ago from web"
Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Chris Mortenson on Twitter

"Hear it's looking good for Antoine Winfield to finally return this week.
about 1 hour ago from web"
Good, If Cedric Griffin isn't able to play on sunday the Vikes will definatly be needing Winfield to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia
Bring back Nap Harris! My irrational man love player. You know you all have one guy that despite him not being all that good you support him to the death!
Apparently Brad Childress must be pretty confident in Jasper Brinkley...

Quote:
Brad Childress said that Napoleon Harris contacted the team after news that Henderson was lost for the season, but the coach was satisfied with the number of linebackers already on the roster. Harris was signed last year after Henderson suffered a season-ending foot injury.
http://min.scout.com/2/928111.html