Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 11-18-2010, 02:39 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
No? They have a couple 1 loss teams not even in consideration for the National Title game should Auburn and Oregon lose. The Big Ten is an after thought.
Well, what 1 loss teams are in consideration if Auburn and Oregon lose? Obviously, Auburn and Oregon, but who else? And are we also assuming TCU and Boise St. lose? Because if they are undefeated, it's really not a shot at a 1 loss Big Ten team (or 1 loss team from any conference) to say they aren't being considered when 2 undefeateds would seemingly be 1 and 2 in the polls.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:43 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Well, what 1 loss teams are in consideration if Auburn and Oregon lose? Obviously, Auburn and Oregon, but who else? And are we also assuming TCU and Boise St. lose? Because if they are undefeated, it's really not a shot at a 1 loss Big Ten team (or 1 loss team from any conference) to say they aren't being considered when 2 undefeateds would seemingly be 1 and 2 in the polls.
LSU and Stanford are both ahead of Wisconsin in the BCS rankings
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:49 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
LSU and Stanford are both ahead of Wisconsin in the BCS rankings
If Auburn and Oregon lose, will they fall behind those 2? And if Boise and TCU win out, doesn't that make this argument relatively pointless considering no teams besides those 2 would be "considered"?

Also, just because the "top" team(s) aren't considered for the NC, doesn't mean the conference is perceived as weak. It just means they don't have an elite team. But they sure as hell have a top 4 that is arguably perceived as good as every other conference.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 11-18-2010, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
T
The Pac-10 has arguably 4 eventual first round QB's in Luck, Locker, Barkely and Foles and Darron Thomas of Oregon is a borderline invite to the Heisman awards at the end of the season. The Big-10 has Ricky Stanzi and........
First-round means nothing in debating a collegiate player's merits. Are you really going to try to tell me with a straight face that Nick Foles and Jake Locker played better than Dan Persa or Denard Robinson, despite that neither of the two Big 10 QBs will sniff the first-round as a QB? Right, no, you're not. Terrelle Pryor, for all of his shortcomings, will inevitably end up as Ohio State's career leader in, well, pretty much everything for passing. Nathan Scheelhaase has thrown for 15 touchdowns despite being a redshirt freshman. Ben Chappell is 12th in the country in passing yardage.

Quote:
I'm a homer but numbers dont lie.
No, they don't. Let's line 'em up.

Big 10 has seven bowl-eligible teams and Illinois is one win away from being bowl-eligible. They will likely get it as they face a Dan Persa-less Northwestern and Fresno State.

Pac-10 has four bowl-eligible teams and Cal is one win away. They have a small shot at their sixth win as they face Stanford (loss) and Washington (who knows which Jake Locker will show up?)

Big 10 has four teams in the BCS rankings, all in the top 20 and three in the top-12. Pac-10 has three in the top 22 and two of the top-6. In the USA Today polls, Northwestern is ranked and Penn State and Michigan are receiving votes. Pac-10 has....nobody.

Now, we can play the hypothetical Team A vs. Team B game.

Oregon (10-0) beats Michigan State (9-1)
Wisconsin-Stanford is a toss-up
Ohio State (9-1) beats USC (7-3)
Arizona (7-3) beats Iowa (9-1) based on their game earlier this year.
Michigan (7-3) beats Oregon State (4-5)
Northwestern (w/ Dan Persa) 7-3 beats Cal (5-5)
Penn State (6-4) beats UCLA (4-5)
Illinois (5-5) beats Washington (3-6)

It's not even close.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:27 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Will you be my best friend sniper?

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 11-18-2010, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Will you be my best friend sniper?
I thought I already was.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
First-round means nothing in debating a collegiate player's merits. Are you really going to try to tell me with a straight face that Nick Foles and Jake Locker played better than Dan Persa or Denard Robinson, despite that neither of the two Big 10 QBs will sniff the first-round as a QB? Right, no, you're not. Terrelle Pryor, for all of his shortcomings, will inevitably end up as Ohio State's career leader in, well, pretty much everything for passing. Nathan Scheelhaase has thrown for 15 touchdowns despite being a redshirt freshman. Ben Chappell is 12th in the country in passing yardage.

No, they don't. Let's line 'em up.

Big 10 has seven bowl-eligible teams and Illinois is one win away from being bowl-eligible. They will likely get it as they face a Dan Persa-less Northwestern and Fresno State.

Pac-10 has four bowl-eligible teams and Cal is one win away. They have a small shot at their sixth win as they face Stanford (loss) and Washington (who knows which Jake Locker will show up?)

Big 10 has four teams in the BCS rankings, all in the top 20 and three in the top-12. Pac-10 has three in the top 22 and two of the top-6. In the USA Today polls, Northwestern is ranked and Penn State and Michigan are receiving votes. Pac-10 has....nobody.

Now, we can play the hypothetical Team A vs. Team B game.

Oregon (10-0) beats Michigan State (9-1)
Wisconsin-Stanford is a toss-up
Ohio State (9-1) beats USC (7-3)
Arizona (7-3) beats Iowa (9-1) based on their game earlier this year.
Michigan (7-3) beats Oregon State (4-5)
Northwestern (w/ Dan Persa) 7-3 beats Cal (5-5)
Penn State (6-4) beats UCLA (4-5)
Illinois (5-5) beats Washington (3-6)

It's not even close.
I thought i was your best friend? whatever.

I cant agree with your head to head outcomes there. I'd take Oregon and Arizona (as you did) then i like Stanford easily over wisconsin and USC over OSU (how many times do they have to prove that). The rest of the conferance i dont really care so not sure what the final tally would be. The top tier to me looks better. Just my take.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:34 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
I thought I already was.
Well, this is awkward.

How about starting now "official" best friends?

Btw, lost in your previous post was the absense of Cousins and Tolzien on the QB list from the Big Ten. Are either 1st rounders? Probably not. But they both should (and will) get a shot at the next level, and that's nothing to say about how they have performed in college, while not elite by any means, has still been above average. The progression of Tolzien as a passer has basically led Wisconsin to where they are. Otherwise, you have Bucky last year where oh, you shut down the run and they can't do anything.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 11-18-2010, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
USC over OSU (how many times do they have to prove that).
Wait, so because USC won two and three years ago, it means that as a 7-3 team without a trace of a defense that they would beat a 9-1 top-10 team with a top-10 defense? ******* fantastic logic, skipper. You're really trying to outdumb yourself here. Stanford over Wisconsin "easily"? Right. Put down the crack.

Quote:
The rest of the conferance i dont really care so not sure what the final tally would be. The top tier to me looks better. Just my take.
Try not to slip while you're backtracking so quickly.

Quote:
I'll take the Pac-10 as the best conferance in the country 1-8.
So, you were saying? Don't worry. I can wait until you remove the foot from your mouth.

Quote:
Well, this is awkward.

How about starting now "official" best friends?

Btw, lost in your previous post was the absense of Cousins and Tolzien on the QB list from the Big Ten. Are either 1st rounders? Probably not. But they both should (and will) get a shot at the next level, and that's nothing to say about how they have performed in college, while not elite by any means, has still been above average. The progression of Tolzien as a passer has basically led Wisconsin to where they are. Otherwise, you have Bucky last year where oh, you shut down the run and they can't do anything.
My bad. They are both solid QBs. Tolzien is money in the red zone, too.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:37 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

You reversed Arizona's and Iowa's records up there Snipey. But I'll gladly take a 9-1 record right now...

Also, taking USC over OSU right now is downright laughable. And that's even without the reasoning you gave Babylon. Basically what you're saying is no matter what, USC will always > OSU. USC could eliminate all scholarships and field a team of blind chimps, but since they beat OSU 2 years ago, then obviously they've proven they are better than OSU.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 11-18-2010, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wait, so because USC won two and three years ago, it means that as a 7-3 team without a trace of a defense that they would beat a 9-1 top-10 team with a top-10 defense? ******* fantastic logic, skipper. You're really trying to outdumb yourself here. Stanford over Wisconsin "easily"? Right. Put down the crack.

Try not to slip while you're backtracking so quickly.

So, you were saying? Don't worry. I can wait until you remove the foot from your mouth.

My bad. They are both solid QBs. Tolzien is money in the red zone, too.
As much as i try you have a personality that is really hard to like.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
You reversed Arizona's and Iowa's records up there Snipey. But I'll gladly take a 9-1 record right now...

Also, taking USC over OSU right now is downright laughable. And that's even without the reasoning you gave Babylon. Basically what you're saying is no matter what, USC will always > OSU. USC could eliminate all scholarships and field a team of blind chimps, but since they beat OSU 2 years ago, then obviously they've proven they are better than OSU.
Iowa's record was wrong, but Arizona's is correct.

Seriously, Babylon. Bring some logic to the party next time.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
As much as i try you have a personality that is really hard to like.
When you say dumb things, you're going to get treated like you're a dumbass. It's pretty basic stuff.

James Madison >>>> Virginia Tech FOREVARZ. How many times do they have to prove it?

I like that you didn't even try to fight the accusation that you're backtracking.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:41 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Iowa's record was wrong, but Arizona's is correct.

Seriously, Babylon. Bring some logic to the party next time.
Guys, guys, let's all try to remember why we're here...

Cam Newton is a cheater. Discuss. Bonus points will be given for SEC Speedzzz.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 11-18-2010, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
When you say dumb things, you're going to get treated like you're a dumbass. It's pretty basic stuff.

James Madison >>>> Virginia Tech FOREVARZ. How many times do they have to prove it?

I like that you didn't even try to fight the accusation that you're backtracking.
I dont appreciate being called a dumbass but heck it's the I where anything goes. My guess is if you are like that in the real world you've had to fight your way out of quite a few jams in your life.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
I dont appreciate being called a dumbass but heck it's the I where anything goes. My guess is if you are like that in the real world you've had to fight your way out of quite a few jams in your life.
I never called you a dumbass. I said I would treat you like one if you said dumb things, but I never called you a dumbass.

No, I haven't had too many jams, mostly because not too many people get that butt-hurt when you point out their mistakes.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
I never called you a dumbass. I said I would treat you like one if you said dumb things, but I never called you a dumbass.

No, I haven't had too many jams, mostly because not too many people get that butt-hurt when you point out their mistakes.
I feel so much better now. One more thing, am i supposed to be impressed with you giving me neg rep all the time?
Old 11-18-2010, 03:51 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

You might be surprised... suggesting reading is fundamental as a general statement had someone get pretty butt hurt.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How the **** did this end up being a Pac 10 v. Big Ten discussion?
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:02 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I thought i was your best friend? whatever.

I cant agree with your head to head outcomes there. I'd take Oregon and Arizona (as you did) then i like Stanford easily over wisconsin and USC over OSU (how many times do they have to prove that). The rest of the conferance i dont really care so not sure what the final tally would be. The top tier to me looks better. Just my take.
In that case, I'll take Ohio State over Oregon since the Buckeyes thumped the overrated top rated Pac10 team last year in the Rose.

And in Sniper's defense wrt the matchups, he gave them pretty favorably to the Pac10.

The Pac10 has a bunch of mediocre teams at the middle and bottom. And absolutely no good defenses. That's not the stuff great conferences are made of.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
That was partially my fault for responding to someone bringing up strengh of conferance. My bad.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:12 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
I tried to tell everyone to take it another thread.

BTW, this just in, Cam Newton and Auburn are screwed.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:16 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Here's a question:

Will this be the first season (I think) where we see a national championship vacated in football?

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 11-18-2010, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Here's a question:

Will this be the first season (I think) where we see a national championship vacated in football?
I don't see why Oregon would have to vacate the national title.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:20 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't see why Oregon would have to vacate the national title.
Generally when you don't win it, it's not an issue that comes up too much