Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:15 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I mean it's no secret...but I think it's pretty funny that a lot of dudes are reporting that Garrett doesnt have that many fans in the lockeroom. There arent many that want to play for the guy. I dont know what Jerry expects, they dont respect Garrett. A lot of his biggest critics are the guys he coaches. Garrett was in over his head as coordinator...now he's the Head Coach. I dont expect anything to get better this season.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
It's been reported that Bill Cowher isn't going anywhere unless he brings Kevin Colbert with him. Is Jerry Jones gonna be cool with that?
I honestly don't think Jerry would be interested in Cowher. For me, I'm a Gruden fan.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I honestly don't think Jerry would be interested in Cowher. For me, I'm a Gruden fan.
Ah, if bringing in a bunch of veterans and being mediocre in the draft is more your flavor, then Gruden is definitely your man.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ah, if bringing in a bunch of veterans and being mediocre in the draft is more your flavor, then Gruden is definitely your man.
Gruden scapegoats players too, that would be counterproductive with this team as it was when he in Oakland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Rob Ryan Rob Ryan Rob Ryan. I'm going to mention him for every opening now :p

The fact that their father was such a hot head and could never match his success as a coordinator as a head coach held them both back. But Rex is looking at putting his Jets in the playoffs 2 straight years now, and their defense is what it's cracked up to be.

Rob could be the loud, boisterous coach that Wade wasn't while still knowing his place under Jerry. It's a relationship I think could work....Emperor Jerry would have his Darth Vader.
Mentioned him last wk, speculation that this would happen has been ongoing with the Dallas team pg for months, ever since the embarrassing opener at Washington. And Rob Ryan is anything but soft, he would work their asses off if they quit in a game like in GB.

His father Buddy Ryan got into a macho one-upmanship with Ditka in Chicago in the mid-80s with the Bears with both claiming credit for the 85 Bearts super team, & Ditka lost. Buddy Ryan was a sgt. in the Korean War, after that he was well qualified to give NFL players toughness lessons as his twin often love to relate. Only an ignoramus like Ditka would try to posture as a tough guy confronting Buddy Ryan as a rival on his staff. In the case of Rob Ryan I don;t think the apple fell too far.

Toughness by the truckload is what the elite Cowboys need. Skill is there but it was allowed to rot on the vine IMO.

And Ryan has draft skills, while the Oakland offense remained awful a couple of HCs ago he rebuilt their defense from 04 to 08 through it primarily, found Pro Bowler Ndami Asomugha among others, & he seems to making improvements in Cleveland (who won their last 2 including soundly thrashing the Patriots yesterday) . He would have the best tools of his career to work with in Dallas but focus & motivation are in short supply there, if nothing else hire him away as the DC.

Odds are Jones will stick with Garrett though b/c although Cowher's name is most frequently mentioned Jerry Jones would have to stroke him & kiss butt to get him to take the job & those arent Jerry's strong suits, he isn't a magnetic personality by any means. Cowher can retire on top & maybe take his alma mater NC St. job sometime in the future just to have something to do when he gets up in the mornings, he owns his retirement home in Raleigh, why should he go to Dallas? I don't see it.

Last edited by LizardState : 11-08-2010 at 05:45 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Mentioned him last wk, speculation that this would happen has been ongoing with the Dallas team pg for months, ever since the embarrassing opener at Washington. And Rob Ryan is anything but soft, he would work their asses off if they quit in a game like in GB.

His father Buddy Ryan got into a macho one-upmanship with Ditka in Chicago in the mid-80s with the Bears, & Ditka lost. Buddy was a sgt. in the Korean War, after that he could give NFL players toughness lessons. Only an ignoramus like Ditka would try to posture as a tough guy with Buddy Rayn on his staff. In the case of Rob Ryan the apple didnt fall too far.

Toughness by the truckload is what the elite Cowboys need. Skill is there but it was allowed to rot on the vine IMO
They didn't get along, but they won a title put together the best defense in the modern era of the NFL....there were a few times they almost came to blows, and would constantly overrule eachother in games.

All aside from the point though....I think Rob would make a worthy head coach in this league, and Dallas would be a good fit for him.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

The fumbled kick return just sums up the cowboys. Cursed.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This might be a good thing for Cowboy fans, if Garrett is as bad as expected, he won't be back next year either
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I really doubt it. BP was passed his prime as a coach when we got him. And a lot of the players didnt even like playing for him. Our defense was still a mess, as well.

The fact remains that people still seem to think we won a lot under BP and we really didnt.
I agree. BP was a good talent evaluator, but there needs to be some clarification. He was mostly just a good defensive talent evaluator. A lot of his bad moves get overlooked. First off, he never had a clue for offensive talent. Especially along the OL. He bypassed Steven Jackson for his man crush in Julius Jones. He didn't find Romo...that was Sean Payton who had the same alma mater. Parcells' moves were Bledsoe, Keyshawn, Terry Glenn, Richie Anderson, Marco Rivera, Dan Campbell. His one hit on the OL was Marc Colombo. But he bombed out on Al Johnson, Jacob Rogers, Ryan Young, Rob Petitte, Stephen Peterman, EJ Whitney, Pat McQuistan, Cory Proctor, Marco Rivera...and Kyle Kosier has been avg at best.

People credit him for Ware, but it was actually Ireland and the rest of the scouts who had to convince BP that Ware was the better pick. BP wanted to take Spears first. He ended up w/Spears and all Spears has been is a disappointment throughout his career. BP hit on defense with Ratliff and Canty, but only Spears, Ratliff and Bradie James are the remaining carry overs from BP's tenure. Wade wasn't really riding BP's coattails like everyone thinks. Newman wasn't BP pick, that was Jerry's. Thank goodness Bobby Carpenter is gone. ...another BP pick. Jason Hatcher was a guy BP took in the 3rd and he's been a bust.

BP was mostly good for Dallas because of his coaching. I credit him for taking us out of the dark ages. He had a bad team when he got here and he left with the cupboard pretty full. That said, while the cupboard was full, I wouldn't solely credit him for that. There were a lot of fingerprints on the building up of the Cowboys roster. Not just BP.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
Ah... you think Gruden is having full GM power?

Think again.

Gruden is a great motivator, who is also a player's coach. He'll get on them hard, but they'll love him for it. A rare quality. I would love him to bring the WCO to Dallas. I think Romo is a tailor made QB for the WCO. So are our WRs who are great at YAC.

Question is who would run the D.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:55 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Parcells' moves were Bledsoe, Keyshawn, Terry Glenn, Richie Anderson, Marco Rivera, Dan Campbell. His one hit on the OL was Marc Colombo. But he bombed out on Al Johnson, Jacob Rogers, Ryan Young, Rob Petitte, Stephen Peterman, EJ Whitney, Pat McQuistan, Cory Proctor, Marco Rivera...and Kyle Kosier has been avg at best.
Lotsa former NY Jets in bold, they called Dallas Jets South for awhile. And Marc Colombo was a find, a FA jewel a few yrs ago, regressed now. If Parcells had a flaw it was not trusting playing rookies, especially on the OL that was BP's old position like Madden among others, he said they "got you fired." He went a little too heavy into FA IMO, Al Johnson came from Tampa I think, IDK if McQuistan was drafted or played elsewhere.

His W-L rcd. was questioned & criticized a lot but he was rebuilding a team from the ground up, former asst. Campo was a placeholder IMO in Jerry's perception, he was waiting for that Big Name to become available.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:57 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think about Jim Harbaugh? Kind of a big name in college, but could he cut it as a pro coach?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Lotsa former NY Jets in bold, they called Dallas Jets South for awhile. And Marc Colombo was a find, a FA jewel a few yrs ago, regressed now. If Parcells had a flaw it was not trusting playing rookies, especially on the OL that was BP's old position like Madden among others, he said they "got you fired." He went a little too heavy into FA IMO, Al Johnson came from Tampa I think, IDK if McQuistan was drafted or played elsewhere.

His W-L rcd. was questioned & criticized a lot but he was rebuilding a team from the ground up, former asst. Campo was a placeholder IMO in Jerry's perception, he was waiting for that Big Name to become available.
He drafted Al Johnson in the 2nd round in his first draft. The year after Jerry just took Gurode in the 2nd round the year prior. McQuistan was a Parcells' pick in '06.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:01 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
What do you guys think about Jim Harbaugh? Kind of a big name in college, but could he cut it as a pro coach?
I think so. After this season though, he could probably name his price at just about any other college program and they'd pay it. It would probably take a lot of moolah and a good deal of control for him to make a jump to the pros, ala Pete Carroll.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
He was an assistant with the Raiders, but I don't see him coming to the NFL.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
One thing you've got going for you is an above-average (at least) front 7 built for the 3-4. I don't think Fewell has any experience running that scheme, and I don't know how well those guys would switch to a 4-3.

What about Rob Ryan? He'd keep the 3-4, is a big personality, and has no experience in team building so Jerry would still get to keep picking the players. He's also managed to keep an underwhelming Browns defense (in the front 7 at least) reasonably competitive and the success of his brother will only help him further.
I think he's a realistic dark horse candidate. I think I would like him.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Harbaugh's going to end up at Michigan.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:11 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

my question is, where does Wade end up as a DC?

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
Any team needing a boost to their 3-4 could probably use him. McDaniels might shed his coordinators if the Broncos continue to suck, and Wade could be brought in there maybe.

Or if any team fires their HC and then plans to switch a 3-4 could use him to help with the transition, like the Packers did with Capers and the Redskins with Haslett.

He should definitely have a job coaching in the NFL next year.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You don't think the way the defense played this year is going to hurt him at all?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-08-2010, 06:18 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
You don't think the way the defense played this year is going to hurt him at all?
Capers couldn't build a 3-4 in Houston for the life of him, yet got the Job in Green Bay pretty easily. Same for Nolan who sucked in San Fran then got the job in Denver right away.

As a head coach, they can't afford to focus exclusively on just coaching the defense like they can as coordinator.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:19 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Nah. He has a proven track record...he was one of the best coordinators in the league when we hired him. And when he did start calling plays for us, our defense rose to an elite level, before this season.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 11-08-2010, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Capers couldn't build a 3-4 in Houston for the life of him, yet got the Job in Green Bay pretty easily. Same for Nolan who sucked in San Fran then got the job in Denver right away.

As a head coach, they can't afford to focus exclusively on just coaching the defense like they can as coordinator.
That's true. I think it would be forgotten pretty quickly as well. He is a good DC and when he just has to handle those responsibilites he'll go back to doing a good job.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-08-2010, 06:24 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I wouldnt be shocked if he opted to retire, however. He is like 63.

Just talking out the ass, though. He's never mentioned anything about retiring. I hope he catches on somewhere else, myself.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 11-08-2010, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Stranger
Veteran

Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stranger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
I would welcome him in Arizona. I have watched too many games like the Vikings one were our defense couldn't close it out.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:38 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Garrett presser on NFL Network now.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS