Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 10-09-2011, 04:32 PM    (permalink
NorthEastRep
Rookie

NorthEastRep hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Joe Martinek, FB, Rutgers

While following Rutgers standout receiver M Sanu, I've taken notice of their FB Joe Martinek. What seperates him from other Fullbacks I've covered is he blocks like he's 250lbs (223lbs actual weight), but once he has the ball in his hands, he runs and catches like the RB he was prior to the move to FB. Unique combination of strength,power and speed. He had a 60yd TD rec this week against Pitt. A google search came up with this site. Worth a look. JoeMartinek.com
NorthEastRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Jersey Joe Martinek. This is his first year as a full back and he has looked better each game. His lead blocking and blitz pickup has improved each week. He definitely needs to add some weight if he wants to play FB at the next level. And being a former half back, he still has the skills to make a play when he gets his hands on the ball. He is someone to look out for, for sure.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So people who've watched Rutgers... How good of a blocker is this guy? I watched him a bit after it looked initially like he was taking over for Ray Rice, but ultimately I just wasn't very impressed with his running style. Just didn't look like a good enough pure athlete to be an NFL runner. But if he can deliver a real pop to linebackers... I'm thinking differently about his skill set. Can he gain weight and be a lead blocker? If I remember correctly, he's got a pretty big frame. Can he carry 240?
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 PM    (permalink
NorthEastRep
Rookie

Looks like he can add some bulk, but 240 may be a stretch. I disagree with your assessment of Martinek not being a pure athlete. He seems to really fit the 3rd down back role. His highlights show he is an above average pass blocker and after 5 games, he's the country's leading FB receiver. His website is full of good info.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM    (permalink
NorthEastRep
Rookie

Default Very impressive stats

After week 7 Rutgers FB Joe Martinek is the leading FBS Fullback receiver @ 14 - 175 - 12.5. Rushing impressive also 10 - 76 - 7.6 I watched the replay on ESPN3 and this guy runs and plays hard, but very fast for a FB. He will definitely see the ball at the next level.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ehhhhhhyeaaaaaah I dunno if a guy who's only gotten 24 total touches so far is anything close to a lock to see NFL touches. I mean, Brian Leonard is an easy comparison; started out as a halfback, moved to fullback, and got drafted to be a versatile contributor. Except Brian Leonard was much more productive. Or...

Well, hell. I'll just go all out with the Brian Leonard comparison. Brian Leonard was a much better prospect and he hasn't made much of an impact in the NFL. undersized WC-Fullback types just aren't really in demand right now. I'm not sure which team Martinek could join and expect to have a real role in the offense. Maybe the Patriots would find a way to use him, since they don't really seem constrained by what "position" their players play. (What position is Aaron Hernandez really?) But I digress.

Not ragging on Martinek, just don't know where his value is. Not really big enough to be an NFL lead blocker, not really an NFL runner...how many teams are looking for a 3rd-down fullback? The pass-catchers coming out of the backfield these days are the Darren Sproles/Jahvid Best types, for the most part. Not sure I can think of a guy who's thought of as a fullback who catches many passes... perhaps Earnest Graham? He's kind of a 'tweener.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:17 PM    (permalink
NorthEastRep
Rookie

I have to disagree and I do so after some research. According to his stat sheet, as a rb, he was only a few yards short of 1000 two seasons ago and apparently his line was towards the bottom of all FBS teams. Then I went back to his website and watched him run his first 2 seasons with Rutgers and what I saw was absolutely an NFL back. He may not be shifty, but he runs as hard as anyone. It appears he has no problem picking up much bigger blitzers and although he doesn't run block like a 250 lber, he seems to get to his man and stay on him till the rb goes through. And we can only base this season on 24 touches, but that's certainly not his fault. I'd say averaging 9+ ypt at the FB spot is pretty impressive. I guess time will tell.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:54 AM    (permalink
NorthEastRep
Rookie

Default Watched Martinek this week

Although he had limited touches, Martinek showed both speed and toughness against Louisville this week. Waiting for his highlights to be posted on his site, usually are up by midweek. There is NO WAY he runs a 4.6 anything! I'm telling you, this kid has impressed me all season. Someones getting a player with this guy.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Alright, Joe. We know it's you.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:55 PM    (permalink
NorthEastRep
Rookie

Default You can do better than that

Just stating my opinion, no one says you have to agree.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm the 2nd biggest Rutgers fan here and if you really are Jersey Joe then that would be amazing.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote