Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:58 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
He's bracing for a lockout. If there is one his income stream will decrease significantly so he is cutting costs now to soften the blow. Yes he will will get money from television contracts but will lose gate revenue, concessions etc.
It seems like he did things well from the start and, over the last two years, decided to prepare for a lockout. While I can understand how it sucks for the fans and coaches, it is a pretty shrewd business move.

Of course, if there's no lockout he's totally F'd. IDK, I don't feel like this write up includes all sides of the story.

Didn't the Panthers offer Peppers an outrageously huge deal that he turned down? Didn't they pay him a Mill per game before he bolted for Chicago? They're holding onto DWill despite staring down a big contract for him as an FA / franchise tag player. There seems to be some evidence that it's not a wholesale attempt to ditch all $$$ guys. Hell, they just handed Jake that stupid extension last year, right?

If I were a rich man (Topol?) I'd be bracing for the massive financial hit a lockout entails. Not everybody has the obscene revenue streams of a Cowboys / Patriots / NY team.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:29 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Richardson is a white, southern businessman who delivered a speech laced with profanity about "taking back our league!!!!!" He's the main driver behind the lockout and is doing everything in his power to take money away from the players

I'll let you draw conclusions from that
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:07 PM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a businessman, at the end of the day he only cares about the bottom line. If he has the opportunity to get 10% of the revenue back from the players he is going to do it.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let go of DeAngelo, Beason, and Smitty and let them come to the Saints. :-D So they can stick it to Richardson twice a year.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its one thing not go after free agents. Alot of teams do that and are still succesful. Packers for instance. But to be giving up these 1st round picks, to save money thats some serious ********.

And if Richardson is the leader of the lockout. **** him.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:16 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
There are a lot of things I don't get in the post, but I'll just post one so it doesn't seem like I'm ripping apart your thread.

Is Clausen able to start? I mean, if he's not able to start because of a concussion, I don't see how this could be a sign of anything. He's simply starting the only available quarterback on his roster.

And if Clausen is able to start now, but Fox doesn't like him as a prospect (or at least how you put it: he wasn't an endorsed draft choice by Fox) then why did he ever start him in the season? If you tell me the front office pressured him to start Clausen earlier in the season, then why aren't they doing the same thing now?

Again, I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just legitimately confused.
I think he is able to play. He had a headache after the game on sunday and then was absent from the injury report until Fox made the announcement. It's one of those things, the team can't come out and undermine Fox's decision and since he was listed on the report last sunday after a bit of a knock he can pretty much bench him with a concussion if healthy because the team will look evil if they push him to start jimmy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Funny they are trying to avoid spending money on draft picks and FA. But if they end up with the number 1 over all pick and end up having to pay crazy monies cause they tried to skimp on the team. irony?
The money will be there in spades though and if there's a CBA he might not care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
It seems like he did things well from the start and, over the last two years, decided to prepare for a lockout. While I can understand how it sucks for the fans and coaches, it is a pretty shrewd business move.

Of course, if there's no lockout he's totally F'd. IDK, I don't feel like this write up includes all sides of the story.

Didn't the Panthers offer Peppers an outrageously huge deal that he turned down? Didn't they pay him a Mill per game before he bolted for Chicago? They're holding onto DWill despite staring down a big contract for him as an FA / franchise tag player. There seems to be some evidence that it's not a wholesale attempt to ditch all $$$ guys. Hell, they just handed Jake that stupid extension last year, right?

If I were a rich man (Topol?) I'd be bracing for the massive financial hit a lockout entails. Not everybody has the obscene revenue streams of a Cowboys / Patriots / NY team.
The thing is that the Panthers do have obscene revenue streams they're the 12th most profitable franchise in the NFL. Just after Indianapolis and just before Tampa Bay. The bottom ten:
  1. San Francisco 49ers
  2. Arizona Cardinals
  3. San Diego Chargers
  4. Cincinnati Bengals
  5. Atlanta Falcons
  6. Detroit Lions
  7. Buffalo Bills
  8. St Louis Rams
  9. Minnesota Vikings
  10. Oakland Raiders
  11. Jacksonville Jaguars
None of those teams wholesale shredded their pay roll.

The contract with Peppers, was offered in the 07 offseason, an extension was offered in 08. He refused, so he was franchised. 1 mill a game for a season was a little expensive, but it was a one year commitment, not an on going cost, it would clear the ledger the next year. So it seems expensive but in the long term cost, it's not.

Delhomme's contract that had everyone cackling was financially a good move, it prorated a huge bonus he was due and converted dead weight base salary into bonus payments.

Extending Delhomme and then cutting him actually saved the team a couple of million.

DWill is also one of the cheaper running backs in the NFL. Last year he made a little under 2.4 million, less than Josh McCown...

He's also now coming off two seasons where he hasn't finished healthy. He's a great back, best on the team. But you don't cut a player on his calibre because he becomes a free agent the next year and he's playing for change in the scheme of things.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
I think he is able to play. He had a headache after the game on sunday and then was absent from the injury report until Fox made the announcement. It's one of those things, the team can't come out and undermine Fox's decision and since he was listed on the report last sunday after a bit of a knock he can pretty much bench him with a concussion if healthy because the team will look evil if they push him to start jimmy.

The money will be there in spades though and if there's a CBA he might not care.

The thing is that the Panthers do have obscene revenue streams they're the 12th most profitable franchise in the NFL. Just after Indianapolis and just before Tampa Bay. The bottom ten:
  1. San Francisco 49ers
  2. Arizona Cardinals
  3. San Diego Chargers
  4. Cincinnati Bengals
  5. Atlanta Falcons
  6. Detroit Lions
  7. Buffalo Bills
  8. St Louis Rams
  9. Minnesota Vikings
  10. Oakland Raiders
  11. Jacksonville Jaguars
None of those teams wholesale shredded their pay roll.

The contract with Peppers, was offered in the 07 offseason, an extension was offered in 08. He refused, so he was franchised. 1 mill a game for a season was a little expensive, but it was a one year commitment, not an on going cost, it would clear the ledger the next year. So it seems expensive but in the long term cost, it's not.

Delhomme's contract that had everyone cackling was financially a good move, it prorated a huge bonus he was due and converted dead weight base salary into bonus payments.

Extending Delhomme and then cutting him actually saved the team a couple of million.

DWill is also one of the cheaper running backs in the NFL. Last year he made a little under 2.4 million, less than Josh McCown...

He's also now coming off two seasons where he hasn't finished healthy. He's a great back, best on the team. But you don't cut a player on his calibre because he becomes a free agent the next year and he's playing for change in the scheme of things.
Jacksonville and Buffalo?

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. I'm not reading that.
2. Props for using a different font than the default!

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:45 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
1. I'm not reading that.
2. Props for using a different font than the default!
Then don't post. When I do an effort post I tend to use word so I can edit it better, try it some time.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for fans of teams who have been in the super bowl.

Seriously I'm tired of hearing fans of teams that have actually been to the playoffs or done stuff correctly EVER ***** regardless of their situation.

Try being a Lions or Browns fan and stick through it for your entire life then come back and complain about how you're almost done supporting a franchise.

(This is not directed as Blindsite I am just saying in general.)

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:40 AM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for fans of teams who have been in the super bowl.

Seriously I'm tired of hearing fans of teams that have actually been to the playoffs or done stuff correctly EVER ***** regardless of their situation.

Try being a Lions or Browns fan and stick through it for your entire life then come back and complain about how you're almost done supporting a franchise.

(This is not directed as Blindsite I am just saying in general.)

The redskins have been pretty ****** the last 19 or 20 years and the thing about it is unlike the lions and the browns we aren't supposed to suck, but we have a completely different problem than other teams