Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:32 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
Don't think the Pats would spend the pick necessary to trade for Fitz.
Probably not, as its one of those situations that makes far too much sense to actually happen. That said, I'd imagine that Oakland's first this year and maybe one of their second rounders would get it done for Fitz, which would still leave them with a late first rounder and most likely the first pick in the second round (Carolina). I know they value their draft picks very highly, but if the opportunity comes around to send some of those for a Top 3 receiver in his prime, I think you absolutely have to pull the trigger when you can get that and still have two picks in the 26-33 range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:36 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If they're planning on taking a rookie WR with one of their first rounders, why not simply send that along with another pick to get a proven NFL WR still in his prime?

It does make too much sense to happen though...
Old 11-28-2010, 10:39 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why is that? We've shown we're interested in receivers like this before. We were willing to do a deal for Boldin last year, but it fell through. We're looking at spending a first rounder on a receiver right now anyway. Fitz would be better right away than anyone we could get in the draft and be a great cultural fit. Plus it would give BB another chance to sit back and stockpile picks for a couple years, which we all know he loves doing.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Why is that? We've shown we're interested in receivers like this before. We were willing to do a deal for Boldin last year, but it fell through. We're looking at spending a first rounder on a receiver right now anyway. Fitz would be better right away than anyone we could get in the draft and be a great cultural fit. Plus it would give BB another chance to sit back and stockpile picks for a couple years, which we all know he loves doing.
I wouldn't say the Pats have shown they are willing to spend a first for a WR. How do we know that? Sorry, but the organization has valued 1st and 2nd round picks so much the past few years, it is tough to see.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not going to happen but... Nicks and Fitzgerald would make me do backflips.

Just a dream but, Smith in the slot, Manningham to spread 'em deep, Nicks and Fitz on the edges. Oh lord.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:51 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wouldn't say the Pats have shown they are willing to spend a first for a WR. How do we know that? Sorry, but the organization has valued 1st and 2nd round picks so much the past few years, it is tough to see.
Well...they have a shitton of picks and will probably trade some for picks next year. Look at the 2007 draft when the Patriots, literally, had no room on their roster for drafted players. They took Meriweather and tried to trade the rest of the draft away. The picks they couldn't trade were used on guys that could make it to the practice squad...

So if they have their roster filled out (which they just about do at this point), they'll get rid of the picks.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:51 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We've shown we're willing to trade for a big time wide receiver. We really wanted Boldin last year and were involved in the trade discussions for him for the two years that entire thing dragged on.

I just think that if we're probably going to draft a receiver if the first anyway(or should) then why not use that pick to get Fitz?

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 11-28-2010, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think the Patriots will take a WR in the first. They didn't trade for Boldin because they weren't willing to pay the price Baltimore was I imagine. I'm not sure that quite helps the case that they would. Yes, the Patriots will trade away picks. It likely will be for picks next year.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:56 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
That would be a badass fit. He seems to have none of the character issues that plague other top WRs, which is perfect for the Pats. Couple him with Brady and the other elite weapons on that offense and they'd be back to 16-0 form...offensively at least....with enough picks still leftover after the presumed trade to get younger on the o-line and defense.
Would easily give up this years pair of 1sts for him.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:03 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
I don't think the Patriots will take a WR in the first. They didn't trade for Boldin because they weren't willing to pay the price Baltimore was I imagine. I'm not sure that quite helps the case that they would. Yes, the Patriots will trade away picks. It likely will be for picks next year.
See I disagree with you on the taking a wide receiver in the first thing and I think that's where it falls apart. We absolutely need a mid to deep range target. Desperately. Tate has shown multiple times over that his hands just aren't up to par with his speed and while it's not fair to doubt he'll ever develop right now in spite of his troubles, we need to move on and assume he won't because Welker and Branch are not scaring off the safeties of the NFL from clogging the middle. We're prime time candidates to AJ Green or Julio Jones, maybe even Baldwin if the Raiders finish with a winning record.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 11-28-2010, 11:10 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They've drafted a couple of WRs in the early second and traded a second for Welker. There's just never been any WR worth drafting where the Pats have drafted in the first round.

What direction they go in the draft really depends on how the rest of their season turns out and how the rest of Oakland's season turns out. The need areas for the Pats are replacing Light & Koppen, getting another quality OLB, adding a strong RB, and getting a big WR to keep the defense honest.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:15 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I for one don't see Arizona trading Fitz. It makes perfect sense to do so, but teams are stubborn and typically don't trade elite players in their prime just because their team is bad. Carolina should have traded Peppers as well, and there are a ton of other situations I can think of where teams just end up letting their franchise player rot on their team while they suck every season.

I also don't see them giving him up to New England. Usually a team looks at what they are getting in compensation but I don't think anybody would willingly be open 2 giving arguably the leagues best WR to the team with arguably the best QB and best team. I think teams pay attention to what team they are gonna be trading with, and what said team looks like afterwards.

Chiefs do make alot of sense, but I bet he doesn't get traded even though he probably should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:25 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I for one don't see Arizona trading Fitz. It makes perfect sense to do so, but teams are stubborn and typically don't trade elite players in their prime just because their team is bad. Carolina should have traded Peppers as well, and there are a ton of other situations I can think of where teams just end up letting their franchise player rot on their team while they suck every season.

I also don't see them giving him up to New England. Usually a team looks at what they are getting in compensation but I don't think anybody would willingly be open 2 giving arguably the leagues best WR to the team with arguably the best QB and best team. I think teams pay attention to what team they are gonna be trading with, and what said team looks like afterwards.

Chiefs do make alot of sense, but I bet he doesn't get traded even though he probably should.
They can't franchise him from what I've read, and given the overall cheapness of the Cardinals coupled with the fact that he'll want to go somewhere with an established QB, he isn't going to resign.

So they can stubbornly sit on him for a year, then let him walk, and a year later collect a 3rd round comp pick if they want.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:29 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fitz playing for Haley again makes so much sense, but I'm not sure if we're willing to pay what they'd want.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:40 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

id give up around 3 picks to get him back at heinz field where he played college ball....i have always been more pro boldin out of the 2 card WRs but theres no denying this guys talent. the only receivers i have over him are calvin and andre johnson.

no way we would trade that many picks, and no way wed pay his salary though
Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They can't franchise him from what I've read, and given the overall cheapness of the Cardinals coupled with the fact that he'll want to go somewhere with an established QB, he isn't going to resign.

So they can stubbornly sit on him for a year, then let him walk, and a year later collect a 3rd round comp pick if they want.
I know what the obvious answer is, but I'd bet my money that they take the stubborn route, alot of franchises end up doing it. I also think Fitz is one of the freaks we'll see playing at a high level until he's well into his 30's like TO is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:58 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Fitz playing for Haley again makes so much sense, but I'm not sure if we're willing to pay what they'd want.
Dunno...if the best pick in a mock for the Chiefs is Floyd...they should be able to look at that and decide that trading Floyd for Fitzgerald will work out pretty swell.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I know what the obvious answer is, but I'd bet my money that they take the stubborn route, alot of franchises end up doing it. I also think Fitz is one of the freaks we'll see playing at a high level until he's well into his 30's like TO is now.
I think they'll be stubborn and he ends up walking, as well. It sucks because it'll make Fitz look like the bad guy even though he just wants to win and the ability to do that has passed by the Cardinals. They're taking steps backwards while the other teams in that division are making massive strides to becoming decent NFL teams.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:02 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have 40 virgins to provide the Cardinals to retain the rights to Larry Fitzgerald, and by 40 virgins I mean 40 virgins per person in the front office.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:42 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
we should be willing.if we're gonna take a WR early in the draft why not package a couple of picks for the best in the biz
Old 11-28-2010, 02:54 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, from what I've read, they can't franchise him, and getting to agree to a long term deal next year would be very difficult unless they suddenly find a miracle solution at QB.

So it's trade him for what you can get, or let him walk and, at best, get a 3rd round comp pick a year later....
we can franchise him, it would just cost $20MM

Quote:
If Fitzgerald is franchise tagged in 2012, he must be paid $23 million that season
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=nfl&id=1661

Last edited by fenikz : 11-28-2010 at 02:56 PM.
fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:57 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we can franchise him, it would just cost $20MM
The article seems to suggest that they can't:

Quote:
The question as to Fitzgerald becomes whether the Cardinals want to try to get value for him before the 2011 season ends, at which time he can leave without the use of the franchise tag or any other restricted.(sic)
I dunno.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Fitzgerald but I honestly can't see us making this trade. We have the picks to do it, but I think we are going to hold onto them and use them on draft day. I would welcome Larry with open arms, but we are looking pretty good at WR now and have been getting a lot out of our TE's. We need to work on adding OL and front 7 help through the draft, but I would be ecstatic if we took Fitzgerald too. He literally would be a perfect fit for us.
Don Vito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:07 PM    (permalink
wordofi
Veteran

wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi

I'd give up a 1st round pick.
wordofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:25 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Donovan is indeed back no reason to think that the skins wouldn't consider trying to get Fitz with our top 15 pick as the base of the trade.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote