Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:09 AM    (permalink
Miaoww
Veteran

Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
Maybe it's just because I'm a Titans fan, but I'm not really that big a fan of Courtland's, and the way I see it is as follows: yes Courtland did basically start with a punch, but that was with both helmets on. This sort of contact happens regularly in the NFL. The end result is maybe a few shoves, words, and a flag against the defender. Refs start paying more attention and the defender backs off, or gets more flags. Advantage offense.

But Johnson basically snapped it. It's not very hard to "punk" someone who isn't taking the situation as seriously as yourself. The simple fact is had Johnson not reacted like this and instead reacted like offensive players do 99% of the time, the situation wasn't going to end like it did because Courtland wasn't looking to throw down like this.

Once the helmet was ripped off, Courtland seemed to sense what was going on and tried to do the same thing, and in doing so he lost his balance with the momentum of AJ's helmet and went down. From here AJ basically layed into a dude on the ground from behind. Well done?

Again, not really that impressive IMO, especially given the size advantage. If NFL defenders had to consider the possibility the guy they're lining up against is going to have a mental episode and try to punch their exposed head, least they'd be portrayed a punk for "losing the fight", being aggressive on D would be history even if the defender had a size advantage.

All in all, Courtland got more than he could chew but I really don't see what was impressive about what Johnson did. Just about every WR Courtland has ever played against could do the same thing if they decided to flip out too. Part of playing aggressive on D and trying to bait an offensive player into losing focus is accepting the fact you do actually have a boundry to stay within (even if that boundry is beyond the rules slightly) - it's kinda hard to compensate for the rare occasion someone reacts totally disregarding any boundry. You *are* going to be caught off guard.
So what you're trying to say is that you think Finnegan would have lived if he knew Johnson was going to snap and the refs hadn't got involved?

Really?
Miaoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:22 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaoww View Post
So what you're trying to say is that you think Finnegan would have lived if he knew Johnson was going to snap and the refs hadn't got involved?

Really?
Not really what I said, no. In fact I don't recall referencing refs not getting involved at all??? I'm not saying in a fight to the death Courtland wins hands down or anything, if that's what you're getting at. Just that it isn't hard to "beat down" a mostly unsuspecting player who loses his footing. Hell if Courtland knew the intent he probably would have backed down well before trying to rip his helmet off.

He probably deserved it, but it's not like Courtland came up to AJ looking for a full on brawl and got knocked the F out, like some people are making out.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:39 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

*sigh*. You're not getting me. I'm not *defending* him or his actions, I'm explaining why he was taken off guard. I'm not saying he shouldn't have expected repercussions, I'm saying *why* he didn't.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:48 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan View Post
*sigh*. You're not getting me. I'm not *defending* him or his actions, I'm explaining why he was taken off guard. I'm not saying he shouldn't have expected repercussions, I'm saying *why* he didn't.
Because he's a trash talking punk who couldn't actually fight if his life depended on it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:28 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Because he's a trash talking punk who couldn't actually fight if his life depended on it?
Well, no, because he does it all the time and it hasn't happened before. Why would he expect someone to take it all the way to a street fight now? He had it coming, it was always going to happen eventually, but by that same token he was always going to be caught off guard when it did happen. His whole game is trying to get in their heads and presumably let them flip out and get themselves out of the game while he "takes the beating" but keeps playing.

Courtland's mistake was trying to get AJ's helmet off because had he left it at that, he would have gotten AJ ejected and he would have remained for sure. In that sense it back fired but AJ responded basically exactly the way Finnegan wants players to respond to his crap. Which is why I don't really get the "yeah! AJ sure showed him!" stuff - sure if you hate the guy it's cool to see, but this is how he wants players to react. Finnegan accepts he's open to it, I'm sure.

I don't for a second believe he wants players to react like this so he can beat them in a fight - he does it to get a reaction so the offense gets flagged, or to distract and ideally to eject. And given anyone would agree AJ >>>> Finnegan as a player, so despite being ejected himself, it was a net gain for the Titans. If it happened in a game where the Titans actually had a QB it might have been a big advantage. So while everyone focuses on how badly Finnegan "lost the fight", he more or less got the result he wanted.

And I wouldn't have a clue what he'd be like in a real fight.

Last edited by OzTitan : 12-03-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like how the Titans fans are the only ones who say Finnegan didn't get his ass beat.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:45 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

lol, he did get his ass beat, that's the point? as I just stated, he is baiting people to do it.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:28 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Thumbs down

Johnson is the one that should be suspended, Cortland is my boy and he likes to talk, they were probably just talking about the weather or something and Johnson got upset punched him for no reason, what the hell? Come Johnson letting stuff get to your head for no reason, and take it out on Finnegan

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:35 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Finnegan is arguably the most overrated corner in the league. One good year. At least Nate Clements doesn't do **** like this.
Now thats funny, he is one of the best and really the only player on this defense that i would be pissed if we let go. Got to love the fire he brings to the field......

Old 12-04-2010, 04:49 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjs View Post
Now thats funny, he is one of the best and really the only player on this defense that i would be pissed if we let go. Got to love the fire he brings to the field......
I would has sad if Jason Jones or ATV ever left. But Cortland is def the heart and soul of our defense and probably our team. Anybody remember how crappy our D was without Cortland? 59-0 new England patriots ring a bell? Tom Brady had like 6 td passes in the first half. In fact the games Cortland was out is the worst attempt at pass defense I have ever seen in 12+ years of watching football. He isn't a lock down corner (only 2 other guys in the NFL are), but he is far, far, far from being average or just another guy. He is basically Antoine Winfield accept with a mouth.

BTW this video is still awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Last edited by DoughBoy : 12-04-2010 at 05:15 PM.
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:57 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post
I would has sad if Jason Jones or ATV ever left. But Cortland is def the heart and soul of our defense and probably our team. Anybody remember how crappy our D was without Cortland? 59-0 new England patriots ring a bell? Tom Brady had like 6 td passes in the first half. In fact the games Cortland was out is the worst attempt at pass defense I have ever seen in 12+ years of watching football. He isn't a lock down corner (only 2 other guys in the NFL are), but he is far, far, far from being average or just another guy. He is basically Antoine Winfield accept with a mouth.

Watching the titans defense with no Cortland Finnegan is like watching the Titans offense with Rusty Smith at QB, both make you sick and people die from self inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Now if both of those things happen at once, it will be like 2012 happening in 2010......

Old 12-04-2010, 05:16 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

Like 99.9% of CBs in the NFL, Finnegan looks pro bowl quality when his DL is wreaking havoc, and pretty average when they're not. This is the game at CB now days.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:31 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post

BTW this video is still awesome
Love that video thats my boy right there, all the people hating on him make him bring more fire to the field, he is a BEAST