Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:09 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonraider View Post
He had a slow start but he was coming around. This is probably the worst news I've heard in a long ******* time.
Worse than "with the 7th pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Oakland Raiders select Darius Heyward Bey"

or "with the 1st pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Oakland Raiders select Jamarcus Russell"

?????
Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 AM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Worse than "with the 7th pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Oakland Raiders select Darius Heyward Bey"

or "with the 1st pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Oakland Raiders select Jamarcus Russell"

?????
That is a very tough question to answer.
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:10 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we need more info before the whole "his career is over" talk starts.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:43 AM    (permalink
EvilNixon
Pro Bowler

EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** me sideways with a baseball bat.

mucho props to wiscbadgerfootball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
like honestly lebron, instead of south beach, why don't you take your talents and just shove them up your ass.
EvilNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:12 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember a few years ago when it came out that Urlacher had an arthritic back and it could hamper his career?

Well he's still going fine, and isn't any worse for the wear than your average 32 year old linebacker.

I wouldn't be too upset about this until you see what his long term prognosis is like.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:23 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From one person in his 20's with arthritis to another, I'm rooting for you Rolando.

:(
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:32 AM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow it sucks to be the Raiders, even when they don't do something stupid they can't catch a break.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:57 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't most football players have arthritis? I mean, there are varying degrees, but playing this sport I always assumed pretty much everyone (especially linemen) playing over 30 had destroyed the cartilage in at least a few of their joints and was just managing the pain in one way or another.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't any risk of further serious injury here, just a degenerative condition that is going to get worse for him quickly relative to other players. It would just sort of add about 10 years of age onto his body.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:58 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
Yeah, it all depends. If it was reactive arthritis, which is the most common in young adults, it's usually not chronic although it does take some time, ie several months, of aggressive treatment.

He's very likely done for the year regardless. He needs to focus on treating the arthritis, first, before he risks doing my injury. It's one of those things where if he goes out there with it bothering him, gets hit wrong, suddenly he's got serious and chronic arthritis and his career is over. Expect him to go on IR.

Oh, he might have Chrons? Chrons can cause arthritis. Serious arthritis. Not good.
Yup, he has Chron's so this is probably pretty serious.

One of the side affects of Chron's disease and IBD is that your own immune system can turn on you and start attacking your own body. That's where the arthritis comes from, and it's usually chronic. Not good.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:01 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post

One of the side affects of Chron's disease and IBD is that your own immune system can turn on you and start attacking your own body. That's where the arthritis comes from, and it's usually chronic. Not good.
Chron's disease is a totally different story. I don't know much about it. I've known people who have it and I could never imagine them playing football with it. Again, don't know much about the biology of it, but I'm pretty certain it's a lot more complicated than arthritis, which just implies bone-on-bone contact in a joint.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 12-04-2010, 12:01 PM    (permalink
MassNole
Pro Bowler

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post

Hopefully they caught it early and he can through his first contract.
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:29 PM    (permalink
MNtoWA Guy
Rookie

MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MNtoWA Guy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
Chron's disease is a totally different story. I don't know much about it. I've known people who have it and I could never imagine them playing football with it. Again, don't know much about the biology of it, but I'm pretty certain it's a lot more complicated than arthritis, which just implies bone-on-bone contact in a joint.
Yep. Chron's is an auto-immune disease, which means the body attacks itself. This can lead to a susceptibility and development of other auto-immune disease states, including rheumatoid arthritis. Chron's is serious, but the medications and treatments available for it have improved compared to what they were in even 5 years ago.

Like several other people have said, it is not shocking to see a young football player with arthritis. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that as much as 50% of the players in the NFL (regardless of age) have some sort of arthritis. Think about the beating there bodies have taken playing an extremely physically demanding sport like football. A great deal of us have played full contact sports in high school, but most professional players, even by their rookie year, have been playing football since they were 4-5 years old. That is a lot of accumulated trauma to their joints.
MNtoWA Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:40 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
Not all arthritis is simple bone-on-bone contact. That just comes from normal wear and tear.

Rheumatoid arthritis is a completely different story, and it's a common side affect of Chron's and Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Your auto-immune system is constantly fighting those diseases, becomes confused and starts attacking tissues in other parts of the body, causing the arthritic conditions.

We just don't know how severe it is, but it's definitely a problem.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even before this injury though, McClain hasn't been anything special. He was brought in to shore up that run defense, and it's been pretty abysmal even with him in there.

He's not a great coverage guy to begin with, so he doesn't really add anything in that department that Morrison couldn't do.

So right now he's a smart run stuffer. But since when was that worth the 8th pick in the draft?

People want to give Al Davis more credit than he deserves bc he didn't do something incredibly stupid like draft Bruce Campbell #8 overall, but the truth is this wasn't a good pick either.

You don't draft a 4-3 MIKE with limitations #8 overall, especially in such a rich draft class with other players who could have filled other needs available at the time.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:56 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Al wanted an actual leader with work ethic (which is what Ro is).. sure he hasn't played up to the 8th pick but hey I don't disagree with it.
Go Amare.

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:01 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

I think most people give Al Davis credit for that because he finally didn't do what everyone predicted and make them face palm. If he drafted a Rolando McClain for every Heyward-Bey the Raiders would probably be a winning team. It was a good pick, assuming the Raiders did their homework and his condition wasn't an oversight; it came up this year or even the best doctors missed it.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 12-04-2010, 01:21 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

But that proves my point though. We're giving them some kind of draft curve by complimenting them for not Fing up the pick.

That ignores the fact that it was still a bad pick. You don't take a limited MIKE #8 overall. This isn't Patrick Willis we're talking about. This was a flawed player. I honestly had him graded as a late 1st/possibly 2nd round guy.

It was still a reach.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

for those talking about Crohn's, let someone who has that gene in their family tree actually talk about it:

Crohn's is not something that will effect your ability to play sports unless you don't stick to a proper diet. My father and brother both have it, and if they eat certain foods, it causes dysentery and vomiting for the most part. Your body can attack itself, but you HAVE to be careful with your diet.

If you are an NFL player, you sure as **** can afford someone to be a dietitian; hell, I bet your team HAS one and would gladly offer you their services.

Eat the right foods and drink plenty of water, and you will be just fine.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:38 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
But that proves my point though. We're giving them some kind of draft curve by complimenting them for not Fing up the pick.

That ignores the fact that it was still a bad pick. You don't take a limited MIKE #8 overall. This isn't Patrick Willis we're talking about. This was a flawed player. I honestly had him graded as a late 1st/possibly 2nd round guy.

It was still a reach.
Well I kind of thought it was a good reach for the Raiders. I had him graded in the 20s, but IIRC the way the draft board looked at the time I had McClain as maybe the 3rd or 4th best pick for the Raiders. It was a solid pick, not a bad one. I'm not saying that with a curve. It wasn't bad or good at the time. People were excited because it wasn't bad.

Thanks to BK for the sig
Old 12-04-2010, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
for those talking about Crohn's, let someone who has that gene in their family tree actually talk about it:

Crohn's is not something that will effect your ability to play sports unless you don't stick to a proper diet. My father and brother both have it, and if they eat certain foods, it causes dysentery and vomiting for the most part. Your body can attack itself, but you HAVE to be careful with your diet.

If you are an NFL player, you sure as **** can afford someone to be a dietitian; hell, I bet your team HAS one and would gladly offer you their services.

Eat the right foods and drink plenty of water, and you will be just fine.
That's fine, but arthritis can be a side effect of having Crohns and can't be regulated.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
That's fine, but arthritis can be a side effect of having Crohns and can't be regulated.
yes, I am aware, but arthritis is also of varying degrees. all this thread has been is reaction, and no one is presenting any information discussing the severity of his arthritis. for all we know it's only on the level of osteoarthritis.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:40 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.

What a shame. Dude has so much potential....
thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:45 PM    (permalink
EvilNixon
Pro Bowler

EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's still world's better than Morrison.

mucho props to wiscbadgerfootball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
like honestly lebron, instead of south beach, why don't you take your talents and just shove them up your ass.
EvilNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In response to the, "we don't know the severity of the arthritis" the only info we have right now is him missing practice and possibly game time because of it, which leads one to believe it isn't super minor.

I'm mainly concerned because for a guy of his size who isn't known for being a superb athlete (by NFL standards) if this slows him down a half step is he still an NFL player?

Interesting thing to keep an eye on.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:17 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Brian Urlacher has arthritis, and I'm pretty sure Eddie George had some form of it also (not very serious iirc). Didn't really impact their careers much, but was probably the reason Eddie fell from grace so fast .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote