Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:29 PM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Eric Mangini's model is pretty impressive

I have watched a bit of the Cleveland Browns this year and it's pretty insane how good of an offensive line they have on the left side.

Joe Thomas is clearly the best LT in football and I don't even think it's debatable. Steinbach is a great OG who is playing healthy now after a down season. And Mack at C is a huge anchor. The Browns clearly have the best LT/LG/C combination in football right now.

I know Mangini got lucky with Cleveland already having Thomas + Steinbach in place, but his philosophy is pretty obvious. If you compare how he built the Jets with how the current Browns are being built. I understand, Holmgren is the GM, but Mangini's imprint is all over this team.

Brick - Thomas
Steinbach - Faneca
Mangold - Mack
Revis - Haden

The hard hitting recklessly aggressive safeties, etc. Haden is coming into his own and is tailor made for Mangini's defense. They really drafted well this year.

Cleveland has a chance to finish 8-8 which would be a pretty significant accomplishment when you consider what they have started at QB this season. Mangini is pretty damn underrated as a coach and if he gets fired (that would be a mistake) would make a great GM. I think Mangini is worthy of getting coach of the year votes this season if they finish 8-8 or better.

Whoever gets this coaching job if it opens is going to walk into a gold mine. Holmgren will probably jump back into coaching for this one.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just another casualty of Lord Favre.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:44 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eric Mangini only drafted Mack and Haden. Joe Thomas & Steinbach have been in place for a few years.

The Browns are playing like one of the best coached teams in football though.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:48 PM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePudge View Post
Eric Mangini only drafted Mack and Haden. Joe Thomas & Steinbach have been in place for a few years.

The Browns are playing like one of the best coached teams in football though.
Read the text next time.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:54 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would be an absolute shame if Mangini is fired, because he's getting a whole lot out of very little, especially on defense. Hell, he's on a 2 game winning streak wiht Jake Delhomme at quarterback.

He targeted Peyton Hillis last year and was unable to get it done, evidently because Denver wanted Brady Quinn, which was done this year. Now, Peyton Hillis is a Top 10 back for pennies.

I just hope Josh McDaniels is let go by Denver and he can come in and be our offensive coordinator.

They just need to keep adding talent and continue building. And Eric Mangini is only 39, learned from his time with the Jets, and should only continue improving.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:55 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting... I think Jake Long has been the best left tackle in football this season and I really didn't think it was debatable.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:55 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's really doing a great job. I don't think he was a fit in New York or was completely ready to be a head coach when he got that job. Honestly feel like some of the motivation for hiring him came from the fact it would hurt the Patriots. I wouldn't say that if it didn't work either, because it really did set our defense back going to Dean Pees and stretching BB thinner. Not a bad move if you think about it, getting a hot coaching candidate and crippling a division rival.

But yeah, flash forward, he's got the Browns playing well above their talent level. Get a quarterback and a few other pieces in there, and you might just have a turn around that lasts more than a year. Rob Ryan is a big part of it to though and you have to wonder how long he will be around with the defense playing so well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:58 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Interesting... I think Jake Long has been the best left tackle in football this season and I really didn't think it was debatable.
He's playing with one arm
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

Quote:
Joe Thomas is better than Long.
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I haven't seen enough of Long to say one way or the other, but I will say that Thomas has been very, very good. Saying one or the other is better is useless; both are great.

Quote:
<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
<@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
<+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
Quote:
<+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.
DeepThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
he gets fired (that would be a mistake) would make a great GM.
God no, Heckertt and Holmgren handled this draft not Mangini and it was one of our best drafts ever (if you can even say that after 1/2 a year) Mangini is a good coach not a good GM.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:05 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
Read the text next time.
Didn't see one sentence, I apologize. Not like I was rude at all. I just thought it was odd that you listed this "Mangini model" with pieces that Mangini had nothing to do with building.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mangini got a bad wrap with the Jets. He never wanted Favre and his owner pushed Favre on him. Woody Johnson is a publicity *****. He wants a Hollywood QB and wants headlines in papers. Ryan surely gives that. Mangini went 9-7 and got fired. Ryan went 9-7 after two team layed down for him and gets treated as a near god. Yes, he went on a great role in the playoffs, so you have to give that to him. The foundations of these Jets were built by Mangini and Tannenbaum.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:36 PM    (permalink
NotRickJames
Veteran

NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Better not fire him this off-season - Browns aren't far away.

Shame they're in the conference with Baltimore and Pittsburgh - Browns would be a playoff team in the NFC West
Old 12-06-2010, 05:44 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotRickJames View Post
Better not fire him this off-season - Browns aren't far away.

Shame they're in the conference with Baltimore and Pittsburgh - Browns would be a playoff team in the NFC West
outside of carolina and maybe detriot every other NFC team would be a playoff team in the NFC west

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought Mangini was fine in New York. That team required a ton of work, and he built that defense into serious business while building up personnel on the offensive side that could compliment what the defense was doing.

The Jets aren't even close to what they are now without Mangini. New York had some up and down seasons with Mangini because he never had a QB. He got fired because he didn't want Brett Favre back after that one season...Brett Favre left anyway.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

All of this doesn't matter unless Colt McCoy is the real deal. He's looked good in various games this year, but I'm not 100% sold on him just yet.

It all comes down to who you have @ QB. The best offensive line in the game doesn't matter unless you have a top 15 QB.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePudge View Post
Didn't see one sentence, I apologize. Not like I was rude at all. I just thought it was odd that you listed this "Mangini model" with pieces that Mangini had nothing to do with building.
He used the non-mangini pieces to inflate his argument.

This is silly. A lot of teams build good offensive lines, it's not like Mangini invented this strategy.

Either way though Haden, Mack & the Hillis trade all look like genius moves. I don't know who was in charge of those decisions but they were definitely good ones.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:12 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whats nice about Mangini is the players seem to like him here and that he's kinda eased off and relaxed since his first year. Alot of the bad things coaching wise that happen during a game is our play calling which is on Daboll and the ridiculously bad mental mistakes Delhomme commits (which was why McCoy was nice because you didn't have to worry about that.)

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
Old 12-06-2010, 06:12 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, don't overlook what he did with Kerry Rhodes, TJ Ward, and all of those other defensive backs... I remember Dwight Lowry bing pretty friggin good under Mangini. The guy is a genius with secondaries.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:15 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Mangini went 9-7 and got fired.
Lets just put this in perspective. The Jets were 8-3 before losing 4 out of their last 5 to I believe mostly all sub .500 teams (SF, Seattle, Miami, Denver). There is no question Favre's poor play had a lot to do with it, but the coaching was terrible.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:22 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Lets just put this in perspective. The Jets were 8-3 before losing 4 out of their last 5 to I believe mostly all sub .500 teams (SF, Seattle, Miami, Denver). There is no question Favre's poor play had a lot to do with it, but the coaching was terrible.
Favre probably get pulled if Mangini had it his way though.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:24 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Favre probably get pulled if Mangini had it his way though.
Exactly. Favre is the anti-QB in that coaching tree's philosophy.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:24 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lord Favre did the majority of that damage. Literally threw games away.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

BTW the guy responsible for the Hillis, Brown, and Gocong acquisitions is Tom Heckert, the ex-Eagles GM who was hired by Mike Homlgren this offseason.

Heckert clearly had his fingerprints all over the Haden and Ward picks, too. Typical Heckert DBs - tough & physical even if they are lacking elite speed.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote