Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
Chiefs will win at least one playoff game..or I never post again
I remember you making a similar promise before.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:30 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I remember you making a similar promise before.
and i won. it was KC picking top three last year. they picked 5th instead :D
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:30 PM    (permalink
NOLAFan
Rookie

NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=bigbluedefense;2417675] Roddy White is one ugly looking man. Dude looks like a rat.

I agree, and also has anyone ever noticed that Michael Turner looks like IR Baboon? I mean that mans ass is massive. I can't help look at it. When i watch a Falcon's game that ass distracts me.
NOLAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Bey Bey was a ******** pick with Dez on the board.

McDaniels couldn't field a defense, screwed up literally every single personnel move he made, and hasn't consistently put out a competitive team since his first few games.

It's funny because if Tebow busts, no one will link him to McD necessarily. Yet, if he's NFL Jesus also, no one will remember that it was McD who wanted him...
*shrug* as I said at the time I'd rather have Dez for my team but McDaniels was trying to not just rebuild his roster but also his lockerroom and the team culture. Bey Bey will be better for establishing the type of hard working culture a team needs to sustain success which is why that was a pick that made sense and that I still like.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
*shrug* as I said at the time I'd rather have Dez for my team but McDaniels was trying to not just rebuild his roster but also his lockerroom and the team culture. Bey Bey will be better for establishing the type of hard working culture a team needs to sustain success which is why that was a pick that made sense and that I still like.
Dez seemed liked the only hard worker on the Cowboys when the Wade Phillips ship was sinking.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:29 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Dez seemed liked the only hard worker on the Cowboys when the Wade Phillips ship was sinking.
He's also been a beast while Thomas has had trouble even staying healthy. Hindsight is always good in that way....but I thought it was a bad decision on draft day and I still believe it today.

Thomas was coming out of a very WR unfriendly system with injury concerns....I wouldn't have passed on Dez for him.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

-I know the Falcons are the 1 seed, I know they have beaten quality opponents, and I know they are unstoppable at home….but for some reason, I just can’t buy into them. Every time I watch them play, I see a very beatable team. I wouldn’t be surprised if they prove me wrong, but I just don’t think the Falcons are that good.

-Roddy White is one ugly looking man. Dude looks like a rat.

I disagree on both accounts.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:36 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

White has nothing on the ugliest man I've ever seen in the NFL:

(in spoilers in case you have a weak stomach)

Old 12-07-2010, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

I actually don't fault McDaniels for passing on Dez Bryant. Dez is a diva of the highest caliber and will cause headaches for coaches and QBs in the future. Count on it.

Sometimes you just don't want to deal with divas, no matter how talented they are, especially if you can find someone who is *almost* as talented and much less maintenance (Demaryius Thomas).
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:15 PM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Belichick's running the Urban Meyer offense minus the option. I know that sounds silly since the option is such an important part Urban's playbook. But everything from the formation versatility, position versatility, the route combos, and the balance between run and pass has a distinct Meyer influence.
Very much so, i realized this last night watching the game and i gotta say im a little dissappointed in myself that i didnt see it sooner. its something ive been thinking about since the offseason when i read about Meyer offense (see below) and i thought i had a cool lead that no one in the nfl was trying. im a little hurt =(

but ok so heres basically what meyer's offense does a lot of and how BB's puttin it to work:

BB uses Hernandez and Gronkowski the Meyer uses his top recievers: in the slot. Generally Meyer tries to put create mismatches by moving recievers who are big guys into the slot and seeing what the D does. If they cover him with a corner, they run the ball and the big WR bulldozes his guy or comes down on a linebacker and leaves the RB in space with a CB, a money matchup. If the WR is covered by a LB, they pass it simple as that. Now if the other team brings a safety down or throws extra safeties on, the offense simply attacks the weak link. No teams in college have that many athletes to matchup like that and someone is gunna be in deep coverage or covering a slot guy that they just cant do. Teams in the NFL cant throw safeties out like that because they cant afford to have that many good safeties without sacrificing somewhere else, basically somethings gotta give.

BB lets the defense dictate how they are beat by letting them pick their poison. Look at that offense: woodhead, Hernandez, Gronkowski, all those guys are very versatile players, as well as the receivers being able to play really anywhere.

As BBD pointed out in another thread i think, they can have the same guys on the field for almost any formation its very simple but brilliant really.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
come on, man. y'all were 11-5 in his second season. not headed for a likely 3-13 finish. he dumped guys like kerry collins, not guys like jay cutler. and he dumped them for eli manning, not for matt cassell. tom coughlin was nowhere near the spectacular failure that mcdaniels had been in denver on the personnel front OR the coaching front. there was nothing that looked like it was going in the right direction on this team, aside from possibly moreno (depending on whether you think his last game was because he ran well or because the chiefs were playing the pass).

look at a guy like spagnuolo. the rams look like they're actually moving in the right direction, even if they drop the last 4 straight. denver's not even treading water at this point, and 100% of the blame for that can be laid at mcdaniels' feet.
It seems like every other coach hired that year has done good things. Schwartz, Morris, Haley, Spags, all of them are leading young teams that look to be headed in the right direction. We hired the one bad apple in the bunch.

Also I actually agreed with BBD on the Coughlin sucking thing. I thought he was the worst. The locker room was turning on him, they collapsed in the second half, etc. But still not close to as bad as McD. If he traded Eli, traded Burress, blew the picks he got from those trades, pissed off Spagnuolo enough to walk away for another DC job somewhere else(not even a HC job!) and videotaped a 1-7 team and STILL lost to them, then we could talk about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
True, but coming out I was concerned he'd be a diva and Denver didn't have the lockerroom to handle another diva WR.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 12-08-2010, 07:07 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I know you don't like him, but Philip Rivers is leading the league in yards per attempt by a pretty big margin. Michael Vick is almost a half yard behind him and the #3 guy (Rodgers) trails by 0.7 ypa. The Rivers/Orton comparison is really, really unfair to Rivers. Orton's ypa is 1.2 less than Rivers, he has four less touchdowns on 45 more attempts, and is completing almost 6% less of his passes. You claim that passing yards are overrated, yet they are the only stat you look at when implying that both players are playing at a similar level.
No no no nooooooo. I never said I don't like Phillip Rivers. I think he's a great qb. I just don't view him as a top 5 guy. But by no means does that translate into me not liking him.

And the comparison to Orton was to exemplify how that statistic is worthless. Bc Rivers is by far and away the superior qb to Orton, yet Orton can accomplish the same feat. So how impressive is it really, if a mediocre qb can achieve the same statistic as a very good one? That was the point in all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
What did you think of the 4th & 2 Brees freeze play to draw the Bengals offsides at the end of that game? At first it wasn't really working but then we shifted the formation around, and Brees started shouting the cadence louder.. and got a Bengals D-line to jump for a gift of a first down. I was amazed that anyone would fall for that, it ultimately led to the Win because had we gone for the FG we probably would have lost that game if the Bengals won the toss with how our Defense was playing in the 2nd half of that game.

Also what do you guys think of the Saints chances going down the stretch? I think they are getting hot at the right time... obviously I think Atlanta will take the Division, and take the 1 seed... their schedule is just way too easy... but we've had a great road record under Payton and the team is starting to get healthy.... I'm just hoping we finish out the season strong.
That's another example of a great play. Ben did the same vs the Ravens I recall. And I love the Saints chances. I think they are a very dangerous team, and somewhat overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
He's also been a beast while Thomas has had trouble even staying healthy. Hindsight is always good in that way....but I thought it was a bad decision on draft day and I still believe it today.

Thomas was coming out of a very WR unfriendly system with injury concerns....I wouldn't have passed on Dez for him.
I loved Bey Bey coming out. I think we need to give him some time. He very well could wind up being just as good as Dez. The tools are there. I don't really hate the pick, I loved him as a prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I disagree on both accounts.
Completely understandable.

Quote:
come on, man. y'all were 11-5 in his second season. not headed for a likely 3-13 finish. he dumped guys like kerry collins, not guys like jay cutler. and he dumped them for eli manning, not for matt cassell. tom coughlin was nowhere near the spectacular failure that mcdaniels had been in denver on the personnel front OR the coaching front. there was nothing that looked like it was going in the right direction on this team, aside from possibly moreno (depending on whether you think his last game was because he ran well or because the chiefs were playing the pass).

look at a guy like spagnuolo. the rams look like they're actually moving in the right direction, even if they drop the last 4 straight. denver's not even treading water at this point, and 100% of the blame for that can be laid at mcdaniels' feet.
This is true. Josh took epic fail to whole new levels. I just wanted to see him build his program though. There was progress being made. He did have a productive passing game, he drafted pieces to be successful there in Bey Bey and Decker, and he turned Lloyd's career around. He drafted linemen to shore up the oline, and Moreno started coming along this year.

I just wanted to see him get 1 more year.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:42 AM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Also I actually agreed with BBD on the Coughlin sucking thing. I thought he was the worst. The locker room was turning on him, they collapsed in the second half, etc. But still not close to as bad as McD. If he traded Eli, traded Burress, blew the picks he got from those trades, pissed off Spagnuolo enough to walk away for another DC job somewhere else(not even a HC job!) and videotaped a 1-7 team and STILL lost to them, then we could talk about it.
Exactly. This is the perfect reason why Coughlin can't even begin to be compared to McDaniels.

When you piss off your DC, and trade away guys just because you don't like them, you're going to have a hard time building a winning roster. Maybe Coughlin didnt' always get along with some of his better players and coordinators, I don't know, but at least he was smart enough to realize he needed them on his team if he wanted to win games and keep his job.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:55 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Before 07, you couldn't find a bigger Tom Coughlin critic than me. I hated him. I was furious that we brought him back. He was stubborn with his coaching, he was destroying the development of our franchise qb, and he didn't have a clue on defense.

But the Giants stuck with him, gave him time to develop his program, and now look. Sometimes you just gotta give a guy some time to weed out players who aren't on board, develop the players who are on board, and let the guys in the lockerroom know that its his way or the highway.

Josh deserved that chance imo. If he failed after that, then sure. But at least give him the chance first. It was only his 2nd year. And he spent his first year getting rid of problem child players. So really, it was only year 1 of his rebuilding project.

I was the opposite. I loved him as a coach. No matter where he went he had success which is a sign of a good coach. He is probably one of the last old school coaches left in the NFL. I was very happy we got him as a HC.

He didn't destroy the development of ELi. Hufangel was the major player in that. I think EA had a chapter on Huffy in his book. While the Steelers had Whisenhunt and Rivers had Cameron, we had that filth Hufangel as our OC. Actually the worst moves Coughlin made was:

OC: Hufangel
DC: Tim Lewis

Right there is where he messed up. I hated both hires and I knew both would come back and haunt us.

I agree with you on Josh M. It annoys me how these Owners get these knee jerk reactions and fire their HC. Josh M is a 2nd year HC and CHilly just got a contract extension from the Vikings owner only to be fired.

Give these coaches a chance! Let them try to fight through it and then if they continue to stink, then make a chance. An don't listen to the fans. If Mara's listened to the majority of the fans Coughlin would have been fired. Good thing that family actually has a clue how to run a franchise.

I think both owners should have gave their respective coaches more time.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:14 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i'm also curious, did the giants players ever outright quit on coughlin, the way they quit on mcdaniels against, say, oakland (and other examples, but let's just keep it basic)?

i mean, these were his hand-picked guys. this wasn't brandon marshall being a crybaby. this was every member of his team giving up in the 2nd quarter.
I thought they would, but surprisingly, just when you thought they were about to mail it in, they fought their asses off for him.

That's one thing I respect about Coughlin, minus the last 2 games of last year, his teams always have played hard for him under any circumstance.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

second game of the 07 season against the packers, i thought they mightve been done playing for him.

Tiki talking in the media, players looked like they were doggin it, eli starting to look like he may never come around, things looked like they were going the wrong way very quickly and there were rumors that if he didnt right the ship fast he was out.

Not on McDaniels level because Coughlin let the right people walk but let strahan come back late and it all worked out so it seems like he knew what he was doing. The same cant be said in denver.

posted in another thread but ill say it again: look at the roster less than 2 years ago and now, they went from a team with some great pieces who were close to a team that looks like a complete rebuilding project. shame

he did do some good things though, he mad orton and lloyd productive. But that wouldnt have been neccessary if he hadnt shipped cutler and marshall out of town. his ego was just way to big to get it done, it had to be his way and well it was and now the broncos are where they are, its pretty clear he sucked and deserved to be fired.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:21 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i'm also curious, did the giants players ever outright quit on coughlin, the way they quit on mcdaniels against, say, oakland (and other examples, but let's just keep it basic)?

i mean, these were his hand-picked guys. this wasn't brandon marshall being a crybaby. this was every member of his team giving up in the 2nd quarter.
No, the giants never quit on their HC. However, they did quit on their DC. Last season is the freshest from what I remember. The team quit on Bill Sheridan, thus leading us to get raped towards the end of the season by almost every team we played. Just see the Vikings and Panthers game last year. It was a joke.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
I was the opposite. I loved him as a coach. No matter where he went he had success which is a sign of a good coach. He is probably one of the last old school coaches left in the NFL. I was very happy we got him as a HC.

He didn't destroy the development of ELi. Hufangel was the major player in that. I think EA had a chapter on Huffy in his book. While the Steelers had Whisenhunt and Rivers had Cameron, we had that filth Hufangel as our OC. Actually the worst moves Coughlin made was:

OC: Hufangel
DC: Tim Lewis

Right there is where he messed up. I hated both hires and I knew both would come back and haunt us.

I agree with you on Josh M. It annoys me how these Owners get these knee jerk reactions and fire their HC. Josh M is a 2nd year HC and CHilly just got a contract extension from the Vikings owner only to be fired.

Give these coaches a chance! Let them try to fight through it and then if they continue to stink, then make a chance. An don't listen to the fans. If Mara's listened to the majority of the fans Coughlin would have been fired. Good thing that family actually has a clue how to run a franchise.

I think both owners should have gave their respective coaches more time.
I'm still upset that Jacksonville let him go. His last year there was probably the best coaching job in the history of the team. Despite them going 6-10, they had a positive point and turnover differential and were competitive in every single game, even though the roster had been completely gutted after years of cap mismanagement.

His problems were the same as Holmgren's: great coach, but was just in charge of way too much. He had full personnel control and did great with it at first, but mortgaged the future by constantly restructuring contracts and pushing money into the future.

Sad thing is that he even offered to give up personnel power, but the people in Jacksonville wanted him gone, so Weaver fired him.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I thought they would, but surprisingly, just when you thought they were about to mail it in, they fought their asses off for him.

That's one thing I respect about Coughlin, minus the last 2 games of last year, his teams always have played hard for him under any circumstance.
The team quit on Sheridan, not Coughlin last year.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
i guess this would be the most illustrative difference, and the thing a lot of broncos fans probably didn't actually see going on. if this team, if the guys mcdaniels brought in to be his guys, had actually wanted to play for him, and had played hard for him, i could see giving him another year. but it was fairly clear that no one in the entire organization believed in anything he was selling.
But giving up after 2 years? What about allowing him time to get him more players that actually want to play for him either via draft or free agency?

We did the same thing when Coughlin took over. It wasn't just Coughlin's style which was hard for the players to get used to. It was that style after Fasshole turned the team's culture into a country club atmosphere.

I can remember that country club atmosphere term being used a lot back in 03-04. The team needed a no nonsense type coach and that is what made the change tougher for everyone. They weren't used to doing whatever they wanted and going from what to a tougher style.

I still remember the media hating on him too. "No free agents will ever want to play for Coughlin!" That was what the media kept harping on. Too bad after the Eli trade we signed Plax, AP, and Kareem M.

You gotta give the HC time is my point. If you let fan opinions or media opinions run things, then we would have fired Coughlin just as quick. That's the difference between owners that own the team and owners that are football people. Thank God Wellington Mara and his sons didn't listen to anyone about Coughlin.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I'm still upset that Jacksonville let him go. His last year there was probably the best coaching job in the history of the team. Despite them going 6-10, they had a positive point and turnover differential and were competitive in every single game, even though the roster had been completely gutted after years of cap mismanagement.

His problems were the same as Holmgren's: great coach, but was just in charge of way too much. He had full personnel control and did great with it at first, but mortgaged the future by constantly restructuring contracts and pushing money into the future.

Sad thing is that he even offered to give up personnel power, but the people in Jacksonville wanted him gone, so Weaver fired him.
I actually love Coughlin as a coach. Everywhere he has gone he has done one hell of a job in coaching. It's sad though, because he will never get a fair shake in the media or by our fan base..

One example is after the superbowl.. What do fans talk about? Is Coughlin going to retire? If so, can we promote Spags? Here we are just won a superbowl, and fans couldn't wait to push Coughlin out the door. Even earlier this year, Tiki said Coughlin lost the team, only for us to have a winning record. Time after time, former players, media, and fans constantly dog on the guy, and all he does is win. I really do feel bad for the guy because he has put up with a lot of BS during his tenure and yet all he does is win.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only thing with Coughlin is that he changed his personality big time before the 2007 season. If he didn't do that he probably isn't the coach today and we don't have a Super Bowl victory that year. Almost every player said that was a major factor for them not rebelling against him.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Coughlin is a great team manager. The problem I have with him is he needs good coordinators to be successful. He's too loyal to his coordinators, and he doesn't have a clue about defense.

As long as you give him a good DC, he'll put together a great team. If he doesn't have a good DC, you see mediocrity from our teams.

I like Coughlin overall, but being a defensive guy, I'm not as big on him as other people are.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:18 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can see the arguments for letting McD sleep in the bed he's made, but really, it's Denver. And when the coach you're replacing went 8-8 his last year and was 3 years removed from hosting the AFCCG, there are some expectations that come along with that. When you combine those expectations with the tradition of winning in Denver, it's no surprise McD was fired after destroying the team. If he was the coach of Cleveland or St. Louis, teams that don't have that tradition of winning, teams that have the patience to let his vision come through, then he'd still have a job today maybe. But he took a team that was one step away from the playoffs, blew up the pro bowl core, replaced it with journeymen, and went 3-9. That's not good enough for Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote