Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
honestly, i want a guy who's 'been there'. we've discussed bringing wade phillips back at DC, which i think is the kind of thing this team needs right now. the team is utterly broken, and needs someone to right the ship. i wouldn't mind a guy like marty schottenheimer (not necessarily him, though i did mention him in the broncos thread) who really isn't looking for a decades long job, but who could come in, hire the right assistants and get the gears moving, then step aside for one of those assistants to be promoted later. that's what i think this team needs now.
Do you want Coyer back? You can have him. My gift to you. Please, take him.

Please.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:34 AM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think John Fox would be perfect for this job. It seems like signs are pointing to Carolina parting ways with him this off season.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:38 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Meyer to the NFL is not as unlikely as some think. If I were an NFL franchise, I would be a ton more comfortable bringing him in as an offensive coordinator first though to see if that offense works in the NFL. The Patriots are using concepts from the Gators system right now, but it has to be adapted and translated. Unfortunately, it would probably require making him a head coach and paying him head coach money in order to do bring him in.

As mentioned before though, doubt he coaches anywhere next year. Wouldn't surprise me to see him hanging around New England in some minor capacity to get a feel for the NFL, but I doubt he coaches.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:51 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I think Meyer to the NFL is not as unlikely as some think. If I were an NFL franchise, I would be a ton more comfortable bringing him in as an offensive coordinator first though to see if that offense works in the NFL. The Patriots are using concepts from the Gators system right now, but it has to be adapted and translated. Unfortunately, it would probably require making him a head coach and paying him head coach money in order to do bring him in.

As mentioned before though, doubt he coaches anywhere next year. Wouldn't surprise me to see him hanging around New England in some minor capacity to get a feel for the NFL, but I doubt he coaches.
Does he have connections to NE that would make you suggest that? I don't know much about Urb's social network but I assume he must for you to specify NE vs. just some random NFL team.

i done stole dis sig
Old 12-09-2010, 12:23 PM    (permalink
ryno626
Rookie

ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Does he have connections to NE that would make you suggest that? I don't know much about Urb's social network but I assume he must for you to specify NE vs. just some random NFL team.
I believe Coach Hoodie spends time in Florida in the offseason attending coaching seminars with Meyer plus the three rookie gators that are playing huge roles for the team at the moment...
Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Urban Meyer and Bill Belichick's bromance is probably what EE means. Meyer and BB have been friends for years now and Meyer comes to Patriots practices and BB have been at Florida's workouts personally. This spring he stayed another day down there to work out Florida players which is kind of a rarity I think.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:34 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Thanks that sheds light on it for sure.

i done stole dis sig
Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Meyer needs to stay the **** away from the NFL. His gimmicks work in college, but not the pros.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:47 PM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Meyer needs to stay the **** away from the NFL. His gimmicks work in college, but not the pros.
They only work in college if he has a heisman candidate at QB for him too.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:57 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormysterioso View Post
Eh, I'm sure he could make a decent player into a heisman candidate as long as they have 4.4 speed (or 4.6 speed with fullback size) and a decent QB arm. (and by decent, I mean not worse than tebow...)
Old 12-09-2010, 06:02 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He can go run the Florida offense in Denver and Tebow can average 1.5 YPC and 3 concussions per year.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:11 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I always thought this whole notion was silly. If he was willing to start off his NFL career on a great College QB that could be a massive bust as an NFL QB just because he coached him in College he would have to be crazy.

I don't think Tebow is the only QB he'd be able to work with, nor do I think he is thinking he needs to rely on Tebow to be succesful in Denver. It almost be a slap in the face to his family for talking about how he's missing his kids games growing up etc, yet he goes and gets a more time demanding job immediately after?

He's not going anywhere right now, and I really don't think he would feel the need to hinge the start of his NFL career with Tim Tebow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:45 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Patriots say otherwise!

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:47 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Patriots say otherwise!
Rather ironic considering who posted it as well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Patriots say otherwise!
No, they don't. If you can't tell the difference between the Urban Meyer zone-read the the Patriots spread offense, then you should start enjoying basketball more.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
No, they don't. If you can't tell the difference between the Urban Meyer zone-read the the Patriots spread offense, then you should start enjoying basketball more.
We legit borrow concepts from it...

Belichick quote
Quote:
"I went down there (to Gainesville), and it was good for me," Belichick said. "The offense he runs is very ... I won't say it's a pro-style offense, but it's an open offense that has a lot of pro elements to it.
There's reasons Hernadez has picked up the routes so fast.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-09-2010, 10:30 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
We legit borrow concepts from it...

Belichick quote

There's reasons Hernadez has picked up the routes so fast.
Sure, every team has a route tree. And parts of every route tree are found on every team in the NFL. But you're missing the point entirely. Urban Meyer's offense is about 50% based on option plays (Zone Read, or bootleg option). He couldn't even teach Tebow to take a snap from center - where Tebow could have been lethal in the QB sneak...

The only things that are similar are the basic idea of how we want the ball to move (large amounts of YAC, balanced offense) and small parts of our route trees. You could pick any school in the country and find elements of the NE offense there.

I'm seriously wondering how people don't understand that the Florida offense is based on single read option plays while the Patriots base a large amount of their passing game on intermediate routes? Deon Branch and Troy Brown did not run Go routes or Drag routes...

As for Hernandez, he's picking it up quickly because he's 6'1" 250 lbs and can flat fly in pads. Linebackers can't cover him. Teams can't afford to cover him with a safety and even if they do, he's a lot more physical than a safety usually is.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:30 PM    (permalink
superman
Veteran

superman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

would the offense meyer runs even stand a chance in the nfl?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sure, every team has a route tree. And parts of every route tree are found on every team in the NFL. But you're missing the point entirely. Urban Meyer's offense is about 50% based on option plays (Zone Read, or bootleg option). He couldn't even teach Tebow to take a snap from center - where Tebow could have been lethal in the QB sneak...
Your running game has nothing to do with Meyer's system, but the passing elements are very similar, using your slot as your "primary" and moving him to create matchups for other players is pretty much the Florida passing system.

You guys can run just about anything because of your QB but this season your passing game is eerily familiar to the passing side of Meyer's system.

Quote:
The only things that are similar are the basic idea of how we want the ball to move (large amounts of YAC, balanced offense) and small parts of our route trees. You could pick any school in the country and find elements of the NE offense there.
You don't see similarities in the passing game? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy who has noticed that your passing game is very similar. There are massive parts of Meyer's system that you don't touch at all, but there are also massive similarities in the parts that you have touched. That fake blitz pickup play with Welker and Woodhead in the backfield against the Jets was straight out of Meyer's play book.

Quote:
As for Hernandez, he's picking it up quickly because he's 6'1" 250 lbs and can flat fly in pads. Linebackers can't cover him. Teams can't afford to cover him with a safety and even if they do, he's a lot more physical than a safety usually is.
Agree here. Hernandez is a beast, still can't believe he fell as far as he did in the draft, was great at Florida and played probably the most pro relevant role of all their skill guys. That said, running a very similar passing system has certainly helped him get acclimated quicker with the offense.

Don't misinterpret me as saying that the Patriots are running an identical offense, but their passing game has quite obviously taken large elements of Meyer's spread passing system and implemented them, at least imo. That doesn't mean his system would fail in the NFL or that it would work, it does indicate that with the right pieces a fair chunk of the system can work.

Quote:
He couldn't even teach Tebow to take a snap from center - where Tebow could have been lethal in the QB sneak...
Maybe, maybe not. I've played QB but I'm a RB by nature and I struggled mightily running sneaks because a sneak takes away your leg drive, acceleration and size for the most part. Tebow was an effective runner because he was quick off the mark and could make subtle moves that emphasised his size, sneaking doesn't allow this, he'd basically be a big guy trying to get through a little hole. He might have done well at it, but it is far harder to do any other kind of run from under center than from Shotgun for the QB, on the flipside it is harder to run backs from the shotgun...

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:02 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
He didn't have to teach Tebow to do that because in the college game the option works so well. Like wogitalia said, our running game is independent of the passing game.

Quote:
We've actually gotten away from some of the stuff we took from Florida, McDaniel's took that with him, but in 2007 we were doing a ton of that stuff. McDaniel's took Tebow with in the first partially because he could see him translating to his offense easier than others because of some of the similarities. No, there's no zone read or options, but wogitalia mentioned some of the things we did similarly. Sure we could have took those concepts from anyone, but come on dude. We went to Florida coaching clinics. We know that offense and we took things from it for sure.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-10-2010, 10:42 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormysterioso View Post
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He didn't have to teach Tebow to do that because in the college game the option works so well. Like wogitalia said, our running game is independent of the passing game.

We've actually gotten away from some of the stuff we took from Florida, McDaniel's took that with him, but in 2007 we were doing a ton of that stuff. McDaniel's took Tebow with in the first partially because he could see him translating to his offense easier than others because of some of the similarities. No, there's no zone read or options, but wogitalia mentioned some of the things we did similarly. Sure we could have took those concepts from anyone, but come on dude. We went to Florida coaching clinics. We know that offense and we took things from it for sure.
I actually think the NE offense now looks a lot more like the Florida offense than the true spread with McDaniels did. Everything about the passing game, from the route trees, the formation versatility, to the guys who can play multiple positions...it's very similar.

In effect, Hernandez is basically playing the exact same position he was at Florida (TE/Slot WR), while Woodhead is playing the Harvin role. When you have two guys who can line up at four different positions, you don't even need to make substitutions and can come out with wildly different formations.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i loved chris leak in college. i don't know why.
To this day, I can't understand why Ohio State came out with such a conservative gameplan. Give Leak all day to throw, and he was money. If you blitzed or got any sort of pressure on him, he folded like a cheap suit.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Leak threw a pretty ball so I was always a fan as well. He had one of the nicer spirals in college that I've seen.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:05 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Schefter's already said it's not going to happen.
And we all know he's the prophet of genius.

It's possible but highly improbable that he will take the Denver or any other NFL job. Like someone posted in the other thread, he a case of coaching burnout & will probably he an announcer
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote