Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:21 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa838 View Post
yes. exactly. since virtually the entire UW team is healthy now, including locker, they will get slaughtered by a less healthy, less motivated nebraska team. It's going to be awesome watching locker play uphill down 21 points early again, since nebraska is going to do even better against a husky defense that actually isn't starting a true-frosh, 210 pound middle linebacker this time. ironic your name is realitycheck.

and on topic I could definitely see Cincinnati going with Newton to sell tickets.
With all due respect, you respond to a dumb comment and then turn around and make another.

Locker can't play worse than he did already against Nebraska, but a 1 year wonder, who has no ties to the area and really isn't that popular, is going to sell tickets? Seriously?

Newton may be picked in the top 5 and may deserve it (I like him a lot but I won't say I've seen enough to warrant a top 5 pick) but the thinking won't be about selling tickets short term. That only makes sense when you are a team like Jacksonville taking a home-town hero like Tebow or Locker (in Seattle)
Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
, but a 1 year wonder, who has no ties to the area and really isn't that popular, is going to sell tickets? Seriously?

Newton may be picked in the top 5 and may deserve it (I like him a lot but I won't say I've seen enough to warrant a top 5 pick) but the thinking won't be about selling tickets short term. That only makes sense when you are a team like Jacksonville taking a home-town hero like Tebow or Locker (in Seattle)
Cam Newton won the freaking Heisman trophy. Nice to know he isn't really that popular and he won't sell tickets even though he has the most prestigious award in college football. So a baseball city, who has had games blacked-out or near blacked out numerous times each season, only cares about sending a successful product out on the field, and not about dwindling ticket sales?

seriously. With all due respect, you respond to a dumb comment and then turn around and make another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa838 View Post
Cam Newton won the freaking Heisman trophy. Nice to know he isn't really that popular and he won't sell tickets even though he has the most prestigious award in college football. So a baseball city, who has had games blacked-out or near blacked out numerous times each season, only cares about sending a successful product out on the field, and not about dwindling ticket sales?

seriously. With all due respect, you respond to a dumb comment and then turn around and make another.
Dude thats a terrible argument. How many Heisman winners came into the NFL and havent done ****. Winning the Heisman doesn't mean success or popularity in the NFL. I didn't even know Smith was in the NFL until the thread came up earlier informing he'd be starting for the 49ers, and I would say I'm a pretty big football fan. As awesome of a year Newton is having, he's not etting half the press or attention Tebow did/is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:38 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Dude thats a terrible argument. How many Heisman winners came into the NFL and havent done ****. Winning the Heisman doesn't mean success or popularity in the NFL. I didn't even know Smith was in the NFL until the thread came up earlier informing he'd be starting for the 49ers, and I would say I'm a pretty big football fan. As awesome of a year Newton is having, he's not etting half the press or attention Tebow did/is.
I'm not saying "CAM NEWTON WILL RESURRECT THE TEAM WITH HIS PLAY", I am saying that ticket sales will rise more than any other pick they could possibly make with their first rounder. Cam Newton is the most marketable player in this year's draft, that is the only argument I am making. Who in this draft is more marketable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I'm with you that Cam Newton isn't an instant sell to this team, but Troy Smith is an awful comparison.

Troy got drafted in the 6th or 7th round and was a back up his whole career. He got a shot to start for the Ravens and ended up missing out due to a stomach virus or some similar illness. He's never had the chance that I assume Newton will have.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrz
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been saying it all along... but I think the QB for Cincy is already on the roster. ;)

^Thanks BK!

Last edited by Bengalsrz : 12-26-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Bengalsrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:12 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrz View Post
I've been saying it all along... but I think the QB for Cincy is already on the roster. ;)
He was golden today, but they were playing Norvell Turner. 2 fly patterns in 3 plays, both times receivers wide open, what did that show you?that Norvell doesnt know jack about defense? yeah maybe

Cincy has some huge other needs besides QB.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
He was golden today, but they were playing Norvell Turner. 2 fly patterns in 3 plays, both times receivers wide open, what did that show you?that Norvell doesnt know jack about defense? yeah maybe

well thats why Rivera is responsible for the Defense.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:35 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post

Number 1 rated Defense going into this game.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:59 PM    (permalink
Polamalu_is_God
Rookie

Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God Polamalu_is_God

How bout a McNabb, Owens reunion?

By:BK the God
Polamalu_is_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:57 AM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polamalu_is_God View Post
How bout a McNabb, Owens reunion?
Owens is done in Cincy and McNabb sucks so unless they both go to Minneosta or someone like that

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:35 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to see Palmer with a new OC before I'm completely ready to get rid of him. I wouldnt mind drafting a QB early but he's got another 1-2 years left in him, methinks. He's looked pretty darn impressive with the Ocho and TO not playing. I'd like to see him have a year with these young receiving targets minus those two. He's not the QB he used to be but I still think he could be an asset to this team going forward.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:41 AM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
I want to see Palmer with a new OC before I'm completely ready to get rid of him. I wouldnt mind drafting a QB early but he's got another 1-2 years left in him, methinks. He's looked pretty darn impressive with the Ocho and TO not playing. I'd like to see him have a year with these young receiving targets minus those two. He's not the QB he used to be but I still think he could be an asset to this team going forward.
This.

I think it's proven to be a whole lot easier for Carson playing without the boneheads. There's no pressure to force the ball in a direction and no quota for these receivers. He can make his own decisions rather than have to worry about those two being unhappy. That's why I think he deserves another shot behind an improved OL with a first round WR in the fold. I wouldn't mind a guy like Newton early if it meant he'd be sitting for a year or two behind Palmer. That's a very expensive plan but it's not a bad one.

I think he's proven, to some of us at least, that he has a few decent years left in him. Arm strength certainly didn't appear to be an obstacle last Sunday. I look forward to the possibility of winding up with a receiving core including Julio Jones, Jordan Shipley, and Jermaine Gresham. If Jerome Simpson continues to develop he could make things very interesting and make this WR group much more complete than originally anticipated.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:47 AM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oooo, I like how you put Julio in there...

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:54 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Simpson was a guy that I liked in the draft a couple of years ago with those freakishly large hands of his. And I don't know what it is but it seems like Palmer torches the Chargers every time. I just dont know if they're going to want to bring him back with that huge contract.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:01 AM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
Simpson was a guy that I liked in the draft a couple of years ago with those freakishly large hands of his. And I don't know what it is but it seems like Palmer torches the Chargers every time. I just dont know if they're going to want to bring him back with that huge contract.
If he can convince them that he's able to win then I think he's back. It's a little late, but I think that's exactly what he's been doing now. He's playing with a very young team and around him a lot of guys should improve. You might also get Andre Smith getting comfortable at the NFL level, if (and yes, it's a big if) he's able to stay healthy during training camp/preseason. No Chad & T.O. in the team's future looks like a great thing.

Ideally, you'd like him to take a pay-cut but if he elects not to, I really don't see the Bengals dropping him without anything close to a plan at the most important position in football. I don't think you drop Carson and accept a losing season in 11'; there will be more pressure to win games next season than to free cap space. Selling tickets still has to be one of the biggest priorities for the team and winning sells. Get rid of Palmer and the Bengals don't have a chance.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:01 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePudge View Post
If he can convince them that he's able to win then I think he's back. It's a little late, but I think that's exactly what he's been doing now. He's playing with a very young team and around him a lot of guys should improve. You might also get Andre Smith getting comfortable at the NFL level, if (and yes, it's a big if) he's able to stay healthy during training camp/preseason. No Chad & T.O. in the team's future looks like a great thing.

Ideally, you'd like him to take a pay-cut but if he elects not to, I really don't see the Bengals dropping him without anything close to a plan at the most important position in football. I don't think you drop Carson and accept a losing season in 11'; there will be more pressure to win games next season than to free cap space. Selling tickets still has to be one of the biggest priorities for the team and winning sells. Get rid of Palmer and the Bengals don't have a chance.
True. If the Bengals got rid of Palmer this season and went after another young quarterback, it would be difficult them to win as many games as they are now. Especially in that division. At the same time, I think Palmer needs to be replaced. He's just too inconsistent. Perhaps it's the coaching as well. I'm not sure as I don't see a lot of their contests. Marvin Lewis deserves the boot too, but I don't think Mike Brown is going to pull the trigger. He never does. Shame, I really liked Palmer, but he's just gotten worse as time has gone on.

If the Bengals can find a way to keep Palmer on the roster and also draft a young quarterback with promise...it would be a good plan like you eluded to earlier.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 12-28-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
True. If the Bengals got rid of Palmer this season and went after another young quarterback, it would be difficult them to win as many games as they are now. Especially in that division. At the same time, I think Palmer needs to be replaced. He's just too inconsistent. Perhaps it's the coaching as well. I'm not sure as I don't see a lot of their contests. Marvin Lewis deserves the boot too, but I don't think Mike Brown is going to pull the trigger. He never does. Shame, I really liked Palmer, but he's just gotten worse as time has gone on.

If the Bengals can find a way to keep Palmer on the roster and also draft a young quarterback with promise...it would be a good plan like you eluded to earlier.
I agree with those that say Palmer's age/injuries have rendered him a pretty inconsistent player week-to-week. I just don't think things worked in his favor this year. During their ten game losing streak their pass-protection was often shaky, there were a depressing amount of OL penalties, and he obviously didn't have an easy time throwing to a couple of the more drop-prone/mistake-prone receivers in football in T.O. and Chad.

The Offensive Coordinator and Carson both felt pressure to involve T.O. and Chad, so there's a huge amount of forced balls this season. Give me Carson as a veteran QB with young guys Julio Jones/A.J. Green, Jordan Shipley, Jerome Simpson, Andre Caldwell, and Jermaine Gresham. Tell those guys to do something and they won't talk back, they'll do their best (which may or may not be enough to win games.) I trust that any and all of the above would put in more time with Carson than Chad/T.O. did. There just wasn't any trust between QB and WR this season and maybe that's partly on Carson, but T.O/Chad isolating themselves on the sideline then bashing the team doesn't help.

Try to patch up the OL, re-work the WRs & add a talented, young #1, and for the love of God get the team a new Offensive Coordinator. Then we'll see if Carson has enough left to win. When he feels comfortable (like last week vs. San Diego) Palmer can still kill you.

I'd welcome a Top 10 Quarterback as long as we kept Carson, but if we're keeping him, I think a Top 10 receiver gives the team their best chance to win next season.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A change of scenery might help Palmer. Wouldn't be surprised if Arizona went after him.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote