Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

View Poll Results: Alex Smith of Mike Singletary
Alex Smith 23 85.19%
Mike Singletary 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2010, 01:24 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Well him not being good is the important part. And if he's not good consistently, then he's not good at all. If you want to believe he's "average", that's fine. I just think he's downright terrible.
He isn't. Look at what he has done the past two years
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
If that was the case, this poll would have been Alex or Troy. Our debate/argument gave me the idea for the poll to see who fans would pick if they HAD to keep one or the other.

Winning record??? WTF??? He's 3-2. Big deal. His record as a starter career wise is 4-3. You're actually using a one game lead (so to speak) as a reason why you prefer him is just insane. Alex's TD percentage is 4% while his INT percentage is at 3.4%. Troy is at 3.2% to 2.4%. Of course, if you add the .8% that Alex is ahead in TD percentage, the difference becomes only .2%. Big deal. You also fail to realize that Troy has only started in 5 games and has 126 attempts compared to Alex who has started 9 games and has 298 attempts. Obviously, if the starts and attempts were the opposite, we would be having the same conversation but in the opposite direction. I'll give Troy credit and props for the 356 yard game. As for the ball bouncing off the hands of WR's and becoming INT's isnt always on the QB. Yeah, he'll get the blame but its not always on the QB. I seriously doubt all 10 INT's are on Alex. My mind is already set just like yours is so it evens out in the end. And stop saying Madden, I dont play that piece of crap of a game.

At least we argree in regards to Singletary.

The Pro Bowl squad comment I made was in regards to Sing. Sing could have a Pro Bowl team and still find a way to screw it up. I never said anything about Alex being a Pro Bowler if he had a Pro Bowl squad. I do think that Alex would be better if he had better coaching though.

Considering the mistakes that this franchise has made since 2002, I seriously doubt that keeping Alex in 2011 would be horrible and humiliating compared to the past. But whatever, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Well we were talking about Alex, which you believe I blamed everything on...which sparked the creation for this thread.

Having a winning record is a big deal. If Alex Smith had a winning record you'd be all over it this season, so spare me. Alex has had more opportunities to win games this season with the same coaches, same teammates and with more experience under his belt and and his consistently failed to come through. Alex is responsible for the majority of his interceptions.

Anyone would be better with better coaching. But Alex being better, doesn't mean he'll throw the football differently and be more accurate magically. He might have a better understanding, but his intuition may not change. And that is what matters. Like Steve Young said about accuracy, you either have it or you don't. And Alex doesn't.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
He isn't. Look at what he has done the past two years
You're right, he hasn't done anything.

Quote:
Old 12-26-2010, 01:31 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're right, he hasn't done anything.
~225 yards per game, 30 touchdowns, 22 interceptions, 60% completion, and a 80 QB rating is pretty average
Old 12-26-2010, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
~225 yards per game, 30 touchdowns, 22 interceptions, 60% completion, and a 80 QB rating is pretty average
Sure if this was 1985. A quarterback that flirts around 80 in terms of rating isn't going to get it done for you consistently these days. You need to be pushing 90. To be good at least. If you're talking average, then sure if you want to state that, I could accept it. In any case, stats don't tell the entire story. Smith has played worse than his rating has indicated. Especially when a lot of his yards and touchdowns have come in garbage time.

Quote:
Old 12-26-2010, 02:00 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Sure if this was 1985. A quarterback that flirts around 80 in terms of rating isn't going to get it done for you consistently these days. You need to be pushing 90. To be good at least. If you're talking average, then sure if you want to state that, I could accept it. In any case, stats don't tell the entire story. Smith has played worse than his rating has indicated. Especially when a lot of his yards and touchdowns have come in garbage time.
That is what I said
Old 12-26-2010, 02:26 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
That is what I said
All in all it's subjective. So it depends on the person. Kyle Orton and David Garrard are pretty average to me, but I think they're a lot better than Alex Smith.

Quote:
Old 04-12-2012, 04:07 AM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Sing could have a Pro Bowl squad and he would still find a way to screw it up.
A year later, we find out that Singletary DID in fact have a Pro Bowl squad, he just screwed it up.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And Kyle Orton, David Garrard and Troy Smith proved they were indeed better than Alex Smith.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what's with the necro-threads?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:23 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Look at me I was right" type stuff I can only assume. Or "Look at how wrong he was."

Gotta love it.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So my question is did Ness ever pay up?
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
So my question is did Ness ever pay up?
I don't see why I would owe any money. Alex playing on a team with one of the best defenses in the last twenty years doesn't really count as doing something significant in my opinion.

My question would be is Alex Smith playing like Rivers or Brees yet.

In any case, no one ever took me up on that bet. Shows how much faith they had.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 04-16-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
And Kyle Orton, David Garrard and Troy Smith proved they were indeed better than Alex Smith.
When this thread was made, they certainly were. Not Troy.

Quote:
Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't see why I would owe any money.

Nowhere even close to their level.

He's still well below Tony Romo & Carson Palmer in my book. He was successful & even confident last yr. in Harbaugh's offense playing Not to Lose.

It's called his Trent Dilfer in the Ravens SB run season imitation.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut. This could be the best Alex ever does in his career. The 49ers are going to be facing more difficult opponents this upcoming season. The three and outs against the Patriots, Packers, and Saints on the road isn't going to cut it. And the defense might not have a record setting year again. There will be more pressure on Alex to win this season.

Quote:
Old 04-16-2012, 10:18 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't see why I would owe any money. Alex playing on a team with one of the best defenses in the last twenty years doesn't really count as doing something significant in my opinion.

In any case, no one ever took me up on that bet. Shows how much faith they had.
Hed led his team to a come from behind victory, with two clutch drives(one after that vaunted defense which you spoke of, gave up the go-head score) in the final minutes of the Niners first playoff game in a decade. I'd say that's pretty significant and well within that 5 year window you spoke of. But you gave the answer I expected you to give. Its a moot point.....just fishing on a slow day.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Yeah, it's only been named The Catch III, and considered one of the single greatest NFL playoff games in NFL History, and easily one of the more memorable post-season moments in 49ers history.

Other than that... not significant.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:59 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Hed led his team to a come from behind victory, with two clutch drives(one after that vaunted defense which you spoke of, gave up the go-head score) in the final minutes of the Niners first playoff game in a decade. I'd say that's pretty significant and well within that 5 year window you spoke of. But you gave the answer I expected you to give. Its a moot point.....just fishing on a slow day.
And you gave the response I expected to hear.

Five turnovers and the 49ers still had to drive down the field to win the game. It should have been a blowout.

Doesn't really matter. Like I told you earlier I wouldn't owe money because no one took me up on the bet at the time (even if I say it was significant) which was pretty indicative of the feeling on Mr. Smith.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 04-17-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:02 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Yeah, it's only been named The Catch III, and considered one of the single greatest NFL playoff games in NFL History, and easily one of the more memorable post-season moments in 49ers history.

Other than that... not significant.
He made a good throw. Sure. I'd say that makes up for the terrible third down conversions all afternoon.

About time he rose to the occasion. Still, for having a defense that led the league in giving offense good field position, Alex's season wasn't very memorable. There is a reason why people kept slapping the game manager label on him all season long. And there is a reason why he only got a three year deal.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Nowhere even close to their level.

He's still well below Tony Romo & Carson Palmer in my book. He was successful & even confident last yr. in Harbaugh's offense playing Not to Lose.

It's called his Trent Dilfer in the Ravens SB run season imitation.
Yeah pretty much.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He made a good throw. Sure. I'd say that makes up for the terrible third down conversions all afternoon.

About time he rose to the occasion. Still, for having a defense that led the league in giving offense good field position, Alex's season wasn't very memorable. There is a reason why people kept slapping the game manager label on him all season long. And there is a reason why he only got a three year deal.
FYI, he a made a couple of great throws. And what does the defense have anything to do with what he did with the ball in his hands, with the game on the line? I guess all those Michael Jordan game-winning shots shouldn't be as mememorable because his team should have been good enough to blowout their opponents. Its called being clutch and as much as I rag on Smith, he was pretty clutch ALL of last season, not just that game. But that game holds more significance because it was the post-season and the opponent. The other QB was supposed to be hero, not Alex Smith.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 04-17-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 AM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did ya'll see what happened to their pass protection on Thanxgiving night in B-More vs. the other Harbaugh brother? Smith got punked all night long & their vaunted offense was never in the game.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For as bad as that Baltimore game looked, the game was tied 6-6 going into the 4th quarter. And the 70-yard TD pass to Ginn earlier was negated by a penalty. Better OL play and they could have easily won that game.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 PM    (permalink
ViperVisor
Pro Bowler

ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ViperVisor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nothing else to do so I looked at the Saints game.

3rd downs

5 sacked
4 TD pass
4 inc
11 short
10 sacked
9 short
1 run
9 sacked
7 inc
13 short
10 incomplete so penalty declined
4 inc
6 short
8 TD run
4 TD pass

The problem wasn't lack of success on 3rd down but we had too many 3rd Downs. Running game was not consistent. Just 2 long runs by Smith and Gore. As you see the avg distance was 7 yards to get. That is the overall retrograde passing attack at that point in the season with the meh running day.

Giants game had the running game working but to start the 4th when we were nearing some more points Dixon was a yard short on 2 runs in a row. Didn't go for it on 4th down. Lee had a terrible punt and the game was lost soon after.