Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 12-27-2010, 05:07 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
You can plead ignorance, and like these players you wont get away with it. They got suspended 5 games and their names and school's repuation are tarnished. The only reason they're allowed to be playing in the bowl game is to make money for everyone else involved. And of course Gibson and Pittman say everyone knew that they were violations, no one actually believes the garbage ignorance excuse we're being fed. If these comments prove anything, its just further proof of how corrupt the NCAA is and how ******** ruling them eligible for the bowl game but not next season is.

The only one getting away with pleading ignorance is Cam Newton.
Oh I know, more of a statement about the NCAA in general. Schools plead ignorance all the time to basically plead down to lesser punishment. I don't buy for 1 second that every school doesn't know, or at least have a handful of people (maybe not necessarily the HC, but at least in the AD) that know the ins and outs of NCAA rules and regulations, or that they don't constantly inform their athletes of them.

I just have a hard time believing that a academic institution has no idea what the regulations of one of its organizations is, or that that they do know and just don't inform their students/coaches or do inform them but barely.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Obviously all of the schools know the rules and that these are violations. I'm sure the schools train their players on what violations are. The "we didn't know" excuse is jsut convient for the NCAA to allow players to stay eligible when they need them to play to keep making money.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wrote a blog entry about it today:

http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog...eyes-may-bolt/

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:40 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 AM    (permalink
HindSight
Veteran

HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not really. They own it they should be free to do whatever they want with it.
they own their likeness and their autographs. should they be allowed to sell those?
HindSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HindSight View Post
they own their likeness and their autographs. should they be allowed to sell those?
I absolutely think so. But the NCAA says they shouldn't, so they should know better than to do it.

If someone wanted my autograph I'd be allowed to sell it.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I absolutely think so. But the NCAA says they shouldn't, so they should know better than to do it.

The NCAA's rule is that being on the football team increases the value of it though. Yes, you could, but no one wants your autograph. What the NCAA has allowed these players to do by playing football has increased the value of their autograph, shoes, etc. I could sell Terrelle Pryor's shoes as a college student but I would not earn as much money as Terrelle Pryor selling his own shoes. That is the unfair advantage and thus why it isn't allowed.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:29 AM    (permalink
HindSight
Veteran

HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Well then you just took away the amateurism of college sports. Now kids can be paid to be in car commercials and put up on billboards......which means the school with the most money will be able to pay for the best kids.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:42 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
The NCAA's rule is that being on the football team increases the value of it though. Yes, you could, but no one wants your autograph. What the NCAA has allowed these players to do by playing football has increased the value of their autograph, shoes, etc. I could sell Terrelle Pryor's shoes as a college student but I would not earn as much money as Terrelle Pryor selling his own shoes. That is the unfair advantage and thus why it isn't allowed.
I understand why it isn't allowed and the NCAA's reasoning, I just don't agree with it. Playing football is certainly what makes his autograph worth something, but I really just don't care if players making money on their own name and accomplishments.

Commercials might be taking it a little far, and the NCAA's rules are made to ensure its fair to all programs. I just don't think selling rings or trading autographs for benefits is that big of a deal. Is the money they're making really this significant.

And I'm not trying to sound like a bitter OSU fan. I know the rules and think they should be suspended because they violated them, but I've always just thought the rules like these are too restrictive on the players. I see nothing wrong with selling the rings, gear, or autographs.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 AM    (permalink
HindSight
Veteran

Quote:
I understand why it isn't allowed and the NCAA's reasoning, I just don't agree with it. Playing football is certainly what makes his autograph worth something, but I really just don't care if players making money on their own name and accomplishments.

Commercials might be taking it a little far, and the NCAA's rules are made to ensure its fair to all programs. I just don't think selling rings or trading autographs for benefits is that big of a deal. Is the money they're making really this significant.

And I'm not trying to sound like a bitter OSU fan. I know the rules and think they should be suspended because they violated them, but I've always just thought the rules like these are too restrictive on the players. I see nothing wrong with selling the rings, gear, or autographs.
it would be if it were allowed.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:09 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Thaddeus Gibson refuted that Ohio State players were not properly educated in regards the rules against selling personal property.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
So Thaddeus Gibson refuted that Ohio State players were not properly educated in regards the rules against selling personal property.
That's so last page.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Not like anyone believed that garbae excuse anyway. Everyone knows they're playing the bowl game simply for ratings.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:03 PM    (permalink
BlockO22
Rookie

BlockO22 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
Pryor, Posey, and Adams are all returning

Boom is the only one who could leave... which I think he will
BlockO22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:41 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you have a subscription to scout don't you BlockO? I wish I had money :(

between this thread and the "Big Ten Discussion" thread it is basically OSU and Michigan fans bantering, Iowa's people having their own little discussion, and bearsfan dropping knowledge.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

I wonder why Posey is coming back considering how badly him and his mom need the money.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe because his draft status is non-existent and he needs to display he can catch an STD at an unprotected sex orgy?

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:10 AM    (permalink
HindSight
Veteran

Quote:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...medium=twitter

"At the time of the interview, I was simply commenting on having been made aware of rules regarding extra benefits for student athletes, not on selling any personal items.”

It was still a bogus excuse, though.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockO22 View Post
Pryor, Posey, and Adams are all returning

Boom is the only one who could leave... which I think he will
And all is not lost for the season. Great news. I'm not too worried about Boom, Id love to see Hall and Berry get more carries, they both have shown talent with the carries they've gotten. I still think this offense will miss Sanz more than anyone else that we're losing.

I'm suprised as hell that Posey is returning.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And all is not lost for the season. Great news. I'm not too worried about Boom, Id love to see Hall and Berry get more carries, they both have shown talent with the carries they've gotten. I still think this offense will miss Sanz more than anyone else that we're losing.

I'm suprised as hell that Posey is returning.
Not to mention Carlos Hyde and Roderick Smith will be hungry for carries as well, both are promising prospects in my opinion. At WR, I think James Louis has the potential to be a decent Sanzo replacement. Don't forget 6'6 T.Y. Williams. I like our young talent, alot.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:45 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know what I don't understand, and this is in no way to defend the bush case or USC but the NCAA found USC guilty of having "lack of institutional control"

How is Ohio State not guilty of the same, shouldn't they have properly educated the players on the rules and regulations?

The NCAA said it's 'absurd' that people accuse them of playing favorites, yet offer no evidence to the contrary.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:51 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeDan17 View Post
Maybe because his draft status is non-existent and he needs to display he can catch an STD at an unprotected sex orgy?
Non-existent? The guy is probably a third round pick if he doesn't bomb the combine.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:54 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
You know what I don't understand, and this is in no way to defend the bush case or USC but the NCAA found USC guilty of having "lack of institutional control"

How is Ohio State not guilty of the same, shouldn't they have properly educated the players on the rules and regulations?

The NCAA said it's 'absurd' that people accuse them of playing favorites, yet offer no evidence to the contrary.
the usc thing wasn't just one thing, it was several incidents.....and the bush scandal where he took improper benefits is worlds bigger than some players selling their jerseys, rings, etc. that belong to them. AJ Green sold a jersey and got suspended for a few games just this past year.

We all know that the "lack of properly educating the players on the rules" thing is just BS anyway by the NCAA so they could make money off the Sugar Bowl.....either that or Gene Smith figured he could play that card and get away with it since it is part the NCAA rules that you could do that and avoid being suspended for the bowl like this.

Last edited by keylime_5 : 12-29-2010 at 03:57 PM.
keylime_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

I think the USC Bush thing was different cause Bush's family was given benfits to go there. The Ohio State players were selling gear. It wasn't so much the school doing something, but the 'not educating' excuse does sound like they didn't have institutional control.

This situation is much close to AJ Green while the USC/Bush situation is more comparable to Newton I would say. Green and these Buckeyes broke the rules by selling gear, while Bush and Newton appear to have been given benefits in order to recruit them to the schools.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:42 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I wonder why Posey is coming back considering how badly him and his mom need the money.

You would draft a player as inconsistent as he is in the third round?

Sorry for quoting the wrong post.