Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's why it was technically worth it for Houston to make this move. They give up first round value for a player who could be a franchise QB, who has 3 years in the NFL, but no tread on his tires. He has an NFL body, work ethic, and skill set, and he knows what's what. He also knows the WCO, which helps him to learn Kubiak's offense. They also keep their first rounder for next year, which is helpful.

I'm starting to think that Houston could trade back from #10 to acquire more picks if a talented player starts to fall.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:32 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
While I feel badly for you Comahan, that was a really funny little icon.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 03-21-2007, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Hypothetically...

2nd overall (DET) = 2600

8th overall (ATL) = 1400
39th overall (ATL) = 510
44th overall (ATL) = 460

Damn. Thats still not nearly enough. Hope we dont do a ridiculous trade up.

There is no chance we trade up. The whole point of trading Schaub is to allow the team to address its needs, rather than have a nice back-up QB. D-Line, O-Line, DBs, LB, RB, could all be possibilities.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:33 PM    (permalink
lod01
Veteran

lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finally Carr is run out of town. NOW you will see that it was not the fault of the o-line, the running game, the WR's or the coaches.

Prediction 8-8 or better. Even if Schaub were to get injured, Sage would come in and HE is better than Carr could ever dream to be.

This has been a long time coming.
lod01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look for Landry, or Peterson, to Atlanta.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:35 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing View Post
You don't get how Vince is seen in Houston. He's adored by every single person who lives there. They would have made tons of cash had they drafted him and yet they decide to draft Mario Bowie because they don't need a quarterback. Yet, they trade for a young quarteback a year later. Please, explain how that makes sense.
Well it makes sense if Mario Williams ends up being the better player. But that's beside the point. What I'm saying is that bringing up that in relation to this move is apples and oranges.

Nor do I think not doing what the fans want makes you a bad FO. They should be trying to win inspite of what most fans think, because usually they are uninformed anyway.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
There is no chance we trade up. The whole point of trading Schaub is to allow the team to address its needs, rather than have a nice back-up QB. D-Line, O-Line, DBs, LB, RB, could all be possibilities.
So does the trade up to pick seven lead you to believe that the Falcons are looking to draft a more valuable position than safety?

Imagine Michael Vick and Adrian Peterson in the same offense.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

There is likely no need for Atlanta to trade up now. They have big need areas, and the extra second rounder is very helpful. Now, if Joe Thomas somehow fell to #4 and Calvin Johnson was off the board, I could really see Atlanta try to move up for him. That would be an unlikely situation, but probably the one case where they should try to make a move.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is a costly move by the Texans. To think, they could have had Matt Leinart. Leinart has shown flashes that I haven't seen in a rookie quarterback since Peyton Manning, and they could have actually been playing in the same division.

But at least this puts the quarterback position to rest for Houston, and fully allows the Texans to spend their 1st round pick on the BPA on defense this year. I'm sure Andre Johnson is licking his chops at what he hopes will become a more explosive passing game (Carr may have disappointed, but I don't buy that it was all his fault).
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think the Texans did mess up by not getting Vince last year, it would have been a cash cow for them, and obviously would have made a nice addition to their squad. Although they gave up a lot, they really only surrendered their 2nd round pick, 2 spots in the first...not that big of a deal...this year the deal looks pretty even, but if that 2nd rounder next year is part of it, then next year, we'll be able to see how the value worked out, if Schaub plays really well for them, then I think losing the 2nd rounder next year won't have as much sting to it, but if he doesn't play really well, when Atlanta uses that 2nd round pick next year, it could be REALLY painful.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I don't think Adrian Peterson is going to Atlanta. They have Dunn for now and also did really well with Norwood last year. Peterson is not out of the question, but I think the defensive holes are larger and are more in need of filling at this time. Getting a top talent like Landry would be quite good at #8 overall.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:38 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

The actual value of this deal is quite dependent upon Schaub's performance. If Schaub puts up 25 TD's, and Houston wins 8 games, all will be forgiven. Winning and success cure all ills.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
While I feel badly for you Comahan, that was a really funny little icon.
Yea, I googled "Suicide Emoticon" :)

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I would be all for a trade up, for Joe Thomas. Since that fills an immediate need. Unlike the oft-rumored trade for Calvin Johnson.

As for Adrian Peterson. The team is transitioning into a power running attack. Which neither Dunn, or Norwood, fit into. Dunn really struggled down the stretch last year. Relying on him, or Norwood, to carry the load would be a mistake. Bobby Petrino has already stated that they will look to add a more bruising type of a Back, to balance out the attack. One of the team's biggest issues last year, was an inept rushing attack on short yardage, and goal-line, situations. The loss of TJ Duckett hurt the team, more than anyone thought it would. The team dropped eleven spots in scoring offense, simply due to inability to punch in on the goal-line.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:42 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well, I guess we're all in an uproar about nothing right now, until the deal is official...but this is what the Falcons fans have been waiting for...now we have to see where Jimmy is goign to play
Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Losing TJ really upset me actually. Having the best short yardage back in football is always going to be a plus, so I knew losing him we would suffer, I just didn't think we would suffer as bad as we did at the beginning of the season, I mean we were all up in the redzone, but couldn't punch it in...it really killed us.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
Yea, I googled "Suicide Emoticon" :)

You could have used this one;

Old 03-21-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You could have used this one;

Hm. I do enjoy smiley faces holding signs. As you very well know.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:46 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think Adrian Peterson is going to Atlanta. They have Dunn for now and also did really well with Norwood last year. Peterson is not out of the question, but I think the defensive holes are larger and are more in need of filling at this time. Getting a top talent like Landry would be quite good at #8 overall.
If AD is there, I think they take him. Over Landry? Thats another question. Petrino wants a powerback and has already stated so. Dunn is completely ineffective and there are questions about Norwood handling the full load. If we do get AD, we could use Jerious Norwood like Bush is used, to create mismatches. We would have too many weapons all spread out for them to focus on one thing. Hopefully we can get OL to pass protect.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:46 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
I would be all for a trade up, for Joe Thomas. Since that fills an immediate need. Unlike the oft-rumored trade for Calvin Johnson.

As for Adrian Peterson. The team is transitioning into a power running attack. Which neither Dunn, or Norwood, fit into. Dunn really struggled down the stretch last year. Relying on him, or Norwood, to carry the load would be a mistake. Bobby Petrino has already stated that they will look to add a more bruising type of a Back, to balance out the attack. One of the team's biggest issues last year, was an inept rushing attack on short yardage, and goal-line, situations. The loss of TJ Duckett hurt the team, more than anyone thought it would. The team dropped eleven spots in scoring offense, simply due to inability to punch in on the goal-line.
Ah, so with a power running attack, the Falcons should look to a power RB who runs a little too upright and hasn't played a full season of college ball? I'd much rather have the 4-year starter from a top defensive squad in the SEC, who is the best safety prospect to come along since Sean Taylor. While he is not on Taylor's freakish level, he is an excellent player and will make an immediate impact.

Of course, that's not to say that Peterson won't. I just like Landry much better than AP for the Falcons.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:47 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What a move by the Texans!!!!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I think Landry fills a much more pressing need for Atlanta. RB's can be had in free agency and later in the draft. Stud safeties are much more rare. Atlanta can wait until the second round and take Tony Hunt or grab Michael Bush, who is a Petrino fave, in the fourth or fifth or even later (the surgery on his leg is worrisome). Landry is a top talent here, and he should be ranked ahead of AP for the Falcons IMO.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Ah, so with a power running attack, the Falcons should look to a power RB who runs a little too upright and hasn't played a full season of college ball? I'd much rather have the 4-year starter from a top defensive squad in the SEC, who is the best safety prospect to come along since Sean Taylor. While he is not on Taylor's freakish level, he is an excellent player and will make an immediate impact.

Of course, that's not to say that Peterson won't. I just like Landry much better than AP for the Falcons.
Are you implying Adrian Peterson isn't a powerful runner? I never said we'd take him over Landry, though that is a possibility. I think, the swap, betters the odds of getting one of them.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:51 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing View Post
You don't get how Vince is seen in Houston. He's adored by every single person who lives there. They would have made tons of cash had they drafted him and yet they decide to draft Mario Bowie because they don't need a quarterback. Yet, they trade for a young quarteback a year later. Please, explain how that makes sense.
Just about every draft expert and GM ranked Andre Johnson as the #1 WR prospect in the 2003 NFL Draft. Yet the Lions, feeling pressure from the hometown fans drafted Charles Rogers with the #2 overall pick. Just because the fans the want it, doesn't make it the right pick.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:51 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heck of a deal for Atlanta. I'm not sure why people thought Schaub wouldn't get first round value. He deserved it ... relative to how QB's are valued.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote