Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
It was supposedly their weight. That is stupid to do to kids that aren't that strong. Obviously a lot of kids were able to do it. But that is a pretty extreme workout. Especially for a 300 lb person.
While we don't know who all of the players are, one was RS Freshman Jim Poggi who is a 6'2 212 LB. Someone of that size should be able to go through a workout like that, if that is indeed what it was.

Part of the problem might be that this is, in Poggi's case or if any of the other 11 are first years, his first offseason workout and he might not be used to the strain of it. It also could have something to do with their diet.

Iowa is well respected for their strength program and the strength coach Doyle is known to be one of the best. There is a chance he could have overworked players, but when it's 12 kids out of 100, it more than likely would be that those kids couldn't handle it right away rather than it being too intense.

Hopefully all these kids are alright and it doesn't affect their lives long term. I would freak the **** out if I pissed brown like Poggi did...

EDIT: Apparently there were some player facebook posts/tweets about the workouts before going to the hospital, and they were from 3rd or 4th year guys, so there goes that theory. One said that he had to squat his weight (240) 100 times and it was timed. I guess a bunch of players were complaining that the workout left them basically immobile for a while. Someone screwed up big time on the staff...

Also, it appears to be a combination of a week or two of workouts, not all at once. One of the players' father said his son complained to him last week. I'm guessing some of the staff were unhappy with this season's results and taking it out during the workouts...

http://hawkcentral.com/2011/01/25/12...-hospitalized/

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy

Last edited by iowatreat54 : 01-26-2011 at 10:36 AM.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 AM    (permalink
HindSight
Veteran

HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doyle is no BARWISS!!!1!eleven!!
HindSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:28 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HindSight View Post
Doyle is no BARWISS!!!1!eleven!!
You are so right...........

Seriously though, as much fun as Barwis was, I'm pretty glad he's gone simply so I don't have to listen to morons say "He must have been afraid of BARWISZZSS!!!1!!!!!!!111" everytime a recruit commits somewhere else or a 4 star kid transfers.

And really, I'm not sure how much he actually did. Outside of Denard and maybe Omameh, no one on the offense looked particularly fast, or at least no faster than any other recent Michigan teams. And the defense always looked like the slowest eleven guys on the field. And strength wise, this team was pretty pathetic. He did some good work with a few guys (Martin, Omameh come to mind) but overall, I never saw any kind of god-like transformation of Michigan football speed or strength wise.

Sorry, I'm not trying to turn this into yet another Michigan discussion. Someone on Iowa's S&C staff messed up big time on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
And really, I'm not sure how much he actually did. Outside of Denard and maybe Omameh, no one on the offense looked particularly fast, or at least no faster than any other recent Michigan teams.
I think his work with the O-linemen is the most noticeable. Denard's always going to be fast, so he doesn't really count. If you look at guys like Lewan, Omameh (like you mentioned), Schofield, Molk etc..., they look lean and they do a great job of getting to the second level.

In terms of overall team speed, though, it wasn't anything particularly jaw-dropping.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2011/1/25/...les-recruiting

Bringing the lulz.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
While we don't know who all of the players are, one was RS Freshman Jim Poggi who is a 6'2 212 LB. Someone of that size should be able to go through a workout like that, if that is indeed what it was.

Part of the problem might be that this is, in Poggi's case or if any of the other 11 are first years, his first offseason workout and he might not be used to the strain of it. It also could have something to do with their diet.

Iowa is well respected for their strength program and the strength coach Doyle is known to be one of the best. There is a chance he could have overworked players, but when it's 12 kids out of 100, it more than likely would be that those kids couldn't handle it right away rather than it being too intense.

Hopefully all these kids are alright and it doesn't affect their lives long term. I would freak the **** out if I pissed brown like Poggi did...

EDIT: Apparently there were some player facebook posts/tweets about the workouts before going to the hospital, and they were from 3rd or 4th year guys, so there goes that theory. One said that he had to squat his weight (240) 100 times and it was timed. I guess a bunch of players were complaining that the workout left them basically immobile for a while. Someone screwed up big time on the staff...

Also, it appears to be a combination of a week or two of workouts, not all at once. One of the players' father said his son complained to him last week. I'm guessing some of the staff were unhappy with this season's results and taking it out during the workouts...

http://hawkcentral.com/2011/01/25/12...-hospitalized/
It's uber messed up. Destroying 12 or so players via exercise is idiocy. I just hope those guys kidneys are alright. If that was my kid, I'd be flipping out.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:40 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Seriously though, as much fun as Barwis was, I'm pretty glad he's gone simply so I don't have to listen to morons say "He must have been afraid of BARWISZZSS!!!1!!!!!!!111" everytime a recruit commits somewhere else or a 4 star kid transfers.
You guys (not you personally, but UM messageboard people generically) brought that Barwis stuff on yourselves. I've never heard about a S&C being pimped so much by a fanbase as Barwis was.

These coaches may make players a bit faster or stronger, but at the end of the day, they are all pretty much the same. Work hard, eat right, improve technique. That's it. Unless you try to kill your players. Then that's bad.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:59 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's uber messed up. Destroying 12 or so players via exercise is idiocy. I just hope those guys kidneys are alright. If that was my kid, I'd be flipping out.
Yea, we'll have to wait and see what happened and what the workouts were. Honestly, I would hope the NCAA looks into this even though I don't think the staff did anything illegal, I just want to see them take something serious...you know, serious, for once.

I wanna see how many other players were at these workouts, or why it was these 12 kids. Obviously not every kid is built the same, but like I said earlier, our S&C program is respected by a lot of people at different levels of football, so I can't believe our S&C Coach either purposely did this or just completely neglected it. Something/someone obviously messed up, but I have no idea where even to begin to look for what happened since this type of thing is apparently a freak occurrence.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-26-2011, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

And really, I'm not sure how much he actually did. Outside of Denard and maybe Omameh, no one on the offense looked particularly fast, or at least no faster than any other recent Michigan teams. And the defense always looked like the slowest eleven guys on the field. And strength wise, this team was pretty pathetic. He did some good work with a few guys (Martin, Omameh come to mind) but overall, I never saw any kind of god-like transformation of Michigan football speed or strength wise.

Sorry, I'm not trying to turn this into yet another Michigan discussion. Someone on Iowa's S&C staff messed up big time on this one.
I think he did a great job getting players into shape, but much like the case was with the entire staff, the things they did at West Virginia just weren't going to work at Michigan.

On a plus note, listening to Funk, Hecklinski, Ferrigno, and Borges (new coaches with no ties to Michigan) I can't help but get excited. I listened to Rod's staff when they came in, but they didn't have the same mind set as Hoke's guys. These guys get it.
Marino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:36 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Sounds like Iowa might be looking for a new S&C coach...the staff and AD are apparently super pissed at him for this.

Also, wasn't Barwis the reason Boren bolted for OSU? Because he couldn't handle the workouts because he was a wuss or something like that...

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sounds like Iowa might be looking for a new S&C coach...the staff and AD are apparently super pissed at him for this.

Also, wasn't Barwis the reason Boren bolted for OSU? Because he couldn't handle the workouts because he was a wuss or something like that...
no Boren left because Rod wouldn't let him go help his dad shovel snow or something.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino13 View Post
no Boren left because Rod wouldn't let him go help his dad shovel snow or something.
Ah. I just vaguely remember some of the transfers, and the responses being like they were afraid of competition or don't want to work hard or something.

Michigan friends, any updates on how the fanatics on certain websites are taking to this new recruiting concept of actually getting recruits? Are they not even D3 worthy and Hoke is terrible yet?

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-26-2011, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Quote:
Ah. I just vaguely remember some of the transfers, and the responses being like they were afraid of competition or don't want to work hard or something.

Michigan friends, any updates on how the fanatics on certain websites are taking to this new recruiting concept of actually getting recruits? Are they not even D3 worthy and Hoke is terrible yet?
can't visit mgblog personally (says the site has malware), but the staff has won over a lot of people with their plan. While the recruits aren't blue chippers, I personally am under the impression these guys are trying harder to recruit than the old regime ever did.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:16 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
can't visit mgblog personally (says the site has malware), but the staff has won over a lot of people with their plan. While the recruits aren't blue chippers, I personally am under the impression these guys are trying harder to recruit than the old regime ever did.
Yea, I haven't really looked at what Hoke has done too much other than some of the hirings, but I'm already more worried about facing his teams than RichRod's. Hoke might actually seem to understand what it takes to rebuild the foundation of a program, rather than just plug and play and expect results.

I think Michigan is on the right path with this hire (so far).

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Aww it's so cute that other fans are saying that this happened because Iowa supplies their players with roids, because it happened to 12 players at once and not just 1 or 2.

Yes, because Iowa only gave 12 players roids, 25% of which have been confirmed to not be starters on the team. One would think if it was because of roids, there would be more than 12 players being given the drugs and/or they would be, you know, players that actuall are going to play.

Iowa: where we give only players that don't affect the outcome of the game drugs that will enhance their performance.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-27-2011, 02:45 AM    (permalink
ToldLikeItIs
Pro Bowler

ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We'll be alright.

Doyle isn't going anywhere. This is kind of wild though.
ToldLikeItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
We'll be alright.

Doyle isn't going anywhere. This is kind of wild though.
Wild isn't the term I'd use. I'd say it's pretty scary that this could happen when all indications are that the S&C staff was present and the cause of everything. Hopefully something happens to ensure that this will never happen again...

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 AM    (permalink
ToldLikeItIs
Pro Bowler

ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ToldLikeItIs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A bunch of young kids in their first off-season work-outs worked out a little too hard. If anything it's an indication of your youth being soft.
ToldLikeItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
A bunch of young kids in their first off-season work-outs worked out a little too hard. If anything it's an indication of your youth being soft.
That too, but I've only seen 3 freshman mentioned so far and Bernstein. There's still 8 other players left...were they all freshman? Will we ever find out? Berstein wasn't going through his first off season work out. And why wasn't it the entire freshman class that this happened to?

There's just way too many questions about what happened at this point to definitively blame one side or the other. This should never happen regardless of whether or not it's a kid's first workout. The S&C staff should know the limits and that not all players are going to be able to do the same workload. Is it an indication that some of these players can't handle a work load? Sure. But at that point the question should be raised whether they are prepared for this level of athletics, and the S&C should know not to push them especially in their first off season work outs. It's just simple common sense.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-27-2011, 10:15 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
There are no droids.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:27 AM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There are no droids.
These are not the droids you are looking for.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:36 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
These are not the droids you are looking for.
****, that's what I meant :)
Old 01-27-2011, 11:32 AM    (permalink
HindSight
Veteran

HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HindSight is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, Boren left because he didn't want to be part of the joke that Michigan Football has become since RR was hired.

The snow and the barwis thing are just 2 things Michigan fans made up to cope.
HindSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:46 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HindSight View Post
No, Boren left because he didn't want to be part of the joke that Michigan Football has become since RR was hired.

The snow and the barwis thing are just 2 things Michigan fans made up to cope.
Yep. Probably the same people that loved the RichRod hire. There were a lot of them.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:37 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe that's what Boren is telling people, but that's not the truth either. He didn't even give Rod a chance. He quit less than two weeks into Spring practices. Sorry, but I don't believe Boren can see into the future. Nine spring practices wasn't enough to tell him that Michigan football was going to be completely irrelevant for the next three years.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote