Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
Apparently the Colts have made attempts at signing Weddle but most sources are putting his contract at $7M per year. Can Indy really afford that?
With a release of Diem, newly signed deal with Manning, and possible restructuring of a couple contracts? Absolutely. I honestly don't even know where the Colts stand cap wise, because 2010 dead money (i.e. Bob Sanders accelerated bonus money) doesn't count against the 2011 cap as was originally thought, when it was said that the Colts were $2 million or so over the cap.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It'd be nice if the Manning deal could get over with already so the team could focus on signing guys like Weddle, Landry, or Mebane, before they're all gone and we're stuck with Bullitt (assuming he is even available).

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
With a release of Diem, newly signed deal with Manning, and possible restructuring of a couple contracts? Absolutely. I honestly don't even know where the Colts stand cap wise, because 2010 dead money (i.e. Bob Sanders accelerated bonus money) doesn't count against the 2011 cap as was originally thought, when it was said that the Colts were $2 million or so over the cap.
Yeah but they need to do those things first before they can sign Weddle. They aren't going to cut Diem, in my opinion, until they resign Charlie Johnson. They aren't going to assume a major saving until after Manning has signed a long term deal because no one knows if it will be front loaded, back loaded or relatively balanced. Also there is no incentive for a few of the players to renegotiate their current terms.

Dallas Clark's contract is relatively balanced. So the only way they can get some cap room this year is to incur a huge cap hit in a future year. Dwight Freeney only has two years left on his deal. There isn't really anyway to spread that money further around. Kelvin Hayden's contract is relatively balanced so they can't exactly spread it around without incurring a bigger cap hit in future years and Hayden won't agree to that because the writing is firmly on the wall that he is on his last legs with the Franchise. Antoine Bethea's contract is also relatively balanced. So the only way that the team can lower its cap hit is to either risk a huge cap hit in future years or to ask these guys to accept less money. And who in their right mind is going to accept that?

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:37 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
Yeah but they need to do those things first before they can sign Weddle. They aren't going to cut Diem, in my opinion, until they resign Charlie Johnson. They aren't going to assume a major saving until after Manning has signed a long term deal because no one knows if it will be front loaded, back loaded or relatively balanced. Also there is no incentive for a few of the players to renegotiate their current terms.

Dallas Clark's contract is relatively balanced. So the only way they can get some cap room this year is to incur a huge cap hit in a future year. Dwight Freeney only has two years left on his deal. There isn't really anyway to spread that money further around. Kelvin Hayden's contract is relatively balanced so they can't exactly spread it around without incurring a bigger cap hit in future years and Hayden won't agree to that because the writing is firmly on the wall that he is on his last legs with the Franchise. Antoine Bethea's contract is also relatively balanced. So the only way that the team can lower its cap hit is to either risk a huge cap hit in future years or to ask these guys to accept less money. And who in their right mind is going to accept that?
Sounds like bad cap management to me. I hope guys like Clark and Hayden play up to their contracts this year. Clark plays hard but I was concerned when the Colts gave him that contract that he would continue to get hurt, and he has.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-27-2011, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Sounds like bad cap management to me. I hope guys like Clark and Hayden play up to their contracts this year. Clark plays hard but I was concerned when the Colts gave him that contract that he would continue to get hurt, and he has.
To be fair he's only had two seasons since that contract and he played a full season in one of them and was named an All-Pro. He had a freak injury last year so it was more bad luck than him being injury prone.

It isn't so much bad cap management. The Colts are a championship calibre team with several high quality players. You have to pay them. When your talking contracts of that size there is only so much you can do to lower the cap hit on a contract. If you have a low cap hit one year you are going to have a high cap hit another.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So its about the third time now that ive heard something about this on ESPN, so I figured id bring it up here.

What are your thoughts on Randy Moss to the Colts. I know we don't necessarily need a vet wide receiver but if TB could break records with him imagine what a real QB could do :P

Also I'm interested in his agents claims that Moss is in the best physical shape he has ever been

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

But are all the "high-quality" players worth the money they're being paid?

Hayden (5/$43M) - hell no
Diem (due $5.4M this year) - hell no

Brackett (5/$33M) - IMO, no

Bethea (4/$27M) - not sure yet
Saturday (due $2.4M) - maybe, I actually thought he was due more
Clark (6/$36M) - not sure yet
Freeney (6/$72M) - I hate to say it but I'm not sure he will be worth $16 million this year. He is my favorite player on the team and a pass rushing demon but he still runs past RBs and gets hurt at the worst times. And honestly he got shut down one-on-one multiple times last season.

Mathis - probably underpaid, so yes
Wayne - same as Mathis, yes

I left Manning out because of the uncertainty there. Unless I am forgetting somebody, those are the top earners on the team right now, and out of the 9 guys in question 3 are clearly overpaid, 4 are uncertain, and two are worth it but have wanted new contracts for a while (gee I wonder why). And now the team has roster holes it probably can't fill and is struggling to sign the best QB in the league. Doesn't that seem like bad cap management to you?

sweatervest - The Colts are set at WR and have a lot more important roster holes to worry about right now.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-27-2011, 11:40 AM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sigh...if the price is right with Moss do it. Could be a deep threat and help Pierre Garcon if he really is the good guy in the locker room he is made out to be.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:30 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No Thanks on Moss.

Manning doesn't get protected long enough to throw the ball deep consistantly and Moss doesn't run slants over the middle.

Not a good fit.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
No Thanks on Moss.

Manning doesn't get protected long enough to throw the ball deep consistantly and Moss doesn't run slants over the middle.

Not a good fit.
It is still a chance we have to take. We got some help on the offensive line. Moss has the ability to be a dynamic player still and will be that deep threat we need. An if the rumors are true that he is in freakish shape have to take a shot. Moss still needs that ring.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
It is still a chance we have to take. We got some help on the offensive line. Moss has the ability to be a dynamic player still and will be that deep threat we need. An if the rumors are true that he is in freakish shape have to take a shot. Moss still needs that ring.
I'd imagine the only problem we would have is whether or not he would respect Caldwell. I guess with Peyton being the true coach it wouldn't matter but I have to say I would be for this. Even if he isn't super productive like he was his first year with the Pats, it would be another threat for defenses to have to cover.

In theory it could give us the best receiving core in the league if everyone stays healthy.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 07-27-2011, 01:55 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think we need Moss.

What we need is more help along the O-Line, a SS and improvement from our talented young D players.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't think we need Moss.

What we need is more help along the O-Line, a SS and improvement from our talented young D players.
%100 agree with you that those are more serious needs and would love to address the safety spot first and foremost when it comes to any FA moves we make. Unfortunately though, as I thought would happen, it appears we are going to be content signing manning and sitting out of the FA sweepstakes until the big names are gone and pick up a couple serviceable vets or UDFAS.

However if after the dust of the FA frenzy settles Moss still needs a team and is interested, I wouldn't be apposed to signing him to a 1-2 year deal

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Bullitt and Vinatieri re-signed today.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-27-2011, 05:40 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

This Chad Spann guy could be a sleeper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU2b7...mbedded#at=198
Old 07-28-2011, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
This Chad Spann guy could be a sleeper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU2b7...mbedded#at=198
Anything would be better than our current options IMO. Although I hope he follows in Turner's footstep rather than Wolfe's

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 07-28-2011, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Bullitt and Vinatieri re-signed today.
Bullit signing and with Peyton still needing to get payed makes me very fearful that we will see Bullitt starting for us this season

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 07-28-2011, 02:57 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia View Post
Bullit signing and with Peyton still needing to get payed makes me very fearful that we will see Bullitt starting for us this season
Our best hope is that Lefeged or Chip Vaughn step up big and take the spot from him. I doubt the Colts will target anybody else in free agency.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-28-2011, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Our best hope is that Lefeged or Chip Vaughn step up big and take the spot from him. I doubt the Colts will target anybody else in free agency.
Saw it coming :( this saddens me. hopefully Nevis turns out to be our guy at DT and my gut feeling is that the situation at Safety is going to turn out to be more of a blanket that will need to be addressed next year

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 07-28-2011, 04:14 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Clint Session will be a Jaguar. 5/$30M. Way too much IMO, good luck Clint.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

I still liked Session he was probably our best linebacker. Starting to get fed up with what the colts are doing in free agency. Jags revamped their LB core and the texans are allegedly in the lead for Asomugha.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:01 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is bizarre. I have confidence that the Colts will be in the playoffs because of Manning, but when you look to the future it is very bleak. Usually I would have confidence in the draft, but I feel that we aren't making progress. We always lose the exact amount if not more of talent every year to FA. It is frustrating. Give us a top 10 defense and we win the SB and look incredible, but we just can't manage cap.

I just hope that we have some UDFA's that can fill some roles and have some promise. I'm queasy at the thought of watching Bullit start another year. Meanwhile every other team is taking the best players we have because we can't resign them because we have huge deals that haven't panned out.

All in all the offseason is always depressing for a football fan, but even more so for a Colts fan. We will be in the playoffs again though I'm afraid to say that we will have to be on fire to make it far.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've got a fair amount of optimism. I mean, who have we lost since the super bowl?
Lost: Session, Lilja
Not yet/potentially not resigned: Addai, C & A Johnson, Muir

Compare that to who we've gained.
Gained: Angerer, Castonzo, Ijalana, Nevis, Hughes, McClendon, Kevin Thomas, Moala(was on the team but mostly on the inactive list)

I realize a lot of these are unproven and in progress as football players. But who knows what happens. Maybe McClendon & Ijalana become decent/good guards and we can run the ball again. Maybe 1/2 our secondary doesn't end up on IR (Bullitt, Powers, & Hayden were out for the playoff game last year iirc.) Hopefully Gonzo & other offensive targets can stay healthy and we won't have Blair White, Tamme, & 3rd/4th string RBs starting games.

We got enough to get us into the playoffs, and after that at least partially it's a roll of the dice. As bad as we were last year, went down the wire with the Patriots in the regular season, and the Jets in the playoffs. We're not homerun favorites, but how often is it the homerun favorite that wins it.

Last edited by falloutboy14 : 07-28-2011 at 08:59 PM.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Excellent read on the weakness of our defense and how it needs to be changed

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/7/2...bout-the-colts

Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Wildwood

Why all the concern with Bullitt? I think he's a damn good player.