Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 07-29-2011, 07:54 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
Why all the concern with Bullitt? I think he's a damn good player.
He's a tweener that is decent in coverage and ok in run support but not great in either. And his shoulder is a concern, can he lay a guy out with that shoulder again and again? I'm concerned his contract might be over-the-top for what he offers.

In light of Manning's comments about wanting to take less so the team can be bolstered, what do you guys think of picking up either Aubrayo Franklin to play the 4-3 NT role, or Jacob Bell to play guard? I think Franklin playing between Mathis and Freeney would be exciting and it would go a long way toward helping the LBs.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:03 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
Why all the concern with Bullitt? I think he's a damn good player.
He's an excellent backup, as a starter, he's a JAG (Just Another Guy).

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:50 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
Excellent read on the weakness of our defense and how it needs to be changed

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/7/2...bout-the-colts
Good read, but there are flaws in this article.

Look, I'm often frustrated with our defensive scheme, but I think it's the only one that fits.

We are annual contenders, and as such mostly pick low in the draft. Meaning, forget about top tier shut-down corners and dominant DTs. And with all the money tied in on offense, top tier defensive free agents are out of the question also.

I mean, we had one crappy season since Peyton's rookie year, and that brought us Freeney.

Cover-2 works for us because it doesn't require top tier talent in most positions.

- Cover-2 CBs could be found later in the draft.
- 1-Gap DTs could be found later in the draft.
- Undersized and athletic LBs could be found later in the draft.

Look at the revolving doors we have had at OLB. Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, David Thornton, Cato June, Rob Morris, Gilbert Gardner (ugh!), Freddy Keiaho and now Clint Session, all gone. And that's exactly why I'm not all that worried about losing Session, because our history indicates that we can find solid OLBs. I'm confident that Angerer and Conner will be productive next season. They showed flashes as rookies and I'm confident they will show improved play.

Sig by Primetime21
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:18 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If everything goes right, the soft zone D works fine. There are too many times though when it doesn't go right and it all goes to crap. Our last SB for example. I thought the 2009 defense was a good example of what our type of D should aspire to. Just use the guys we have, play press coverage more, mix up some more LB blitzes WITH A HIGH % OF SUCCESS, be aggressive, etc.

In player news, Diem was offered a reduced contract, refused it, and was released. Addai has apparently been re-signed to a short contract with incentives. Add in Manning's public acceptance of a "lesser" contract and some solid FA options still out there, and this has been a good night for Colts fans.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-30-2011, 12:27 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
what do you guys think of picking up either Aubrayo Franklin to play the 4-3 NT role, or Jacob Bell to play guard?
Never heard of Bell. Franklin would be a dream come true in the way that Corey Simon was supposed to be. I imagined him being highly sought after, second only to Nnamdi on the defensive side. I'm a little surprised that he's still available, but still think he'd be able to find a contract north of $6M a year.

So many good players are out there. Wish Manning's contract would get done so we knew where we stood cap-wise.

An incentive-laden contract should be very cheap for Addai, considering the structure of our offense. I bet he wasn't getting much action in the market.

Last edited by falloutboy14 : 07-30-2011 at 12:31 AM.
falloutboy14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:45 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If everything goes right, the soft zone D works fine. There are too many times though when it doesn't go right and it all goes to crap. Our last SB for example. I thought the 2009 defense was a good example of what our type of D should aspire to. Just use the guys we have, play press coverage more, mix up some more LB blitzes WITH A HIGH % OF SUCCESS, be aggressive, etc.

In player news, Diem was offered a reduced contract, refused it, and was released. Addai has apparently been re-signed to a short contract with incentives. Add in Manning's public acceptance of a "lesser" contract and some solid FA options still out there, and this has been a good night for Colts fans.
The Secondary of Jackson, Hayden, Sanders and Bethea then was PERFECT for this defense. Physical, quick, good instincts, they kept everything in front of them.

Unfortunately, they were too physical for their own good.

Sig by Primetime21
Old 07-30-2011, 02:41 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
Never heard of Bell. Franklin would be a dream come true in the way that Corey Simon was supposed to be. I imagined him being highly sought after, second only to Nnamdi on the defensive side. I'm a little surprised that he's still available, but still think he'd be able to find a contract north of $6M a year.

So many good players are out there. Wish Manning's contract would get done so we knew where we stood cap-wise.

An incentive-laden contract should be very cheap for Addai, considering the structure of our offense. I bet he wasn't getting much action in the market.
NFL Network is saying Peyton is content with 5 year/90 million. Originally it was thought Peyton would go for 100 million. Stand up guy. He wants to win a super bowl and that should help us. We will most likely get Addai back. I have no idea what that puts our cap at, but apparently it gives us some leeway. This info from Michael Lombardi.

Edit: here is a link http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...content_stream

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Last edited by RCAChainGang : 07-30-2011 at 02:47 PM.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:52 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also I am excited to see Collie out on the field again. He has the talent to be what Stokley was and Wes Welker is. Just pray he takes care of his head.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:02 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Where do you guys figure Brodney Pool heads? You think he's headed back to the Jets?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 07-30-2011, 04:46 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Brodney Pool not really on my radar.

Kudos to Manning for talking Irsay into a 90M contract instead of a 100+M one. What a dumb conversation to have to have. His cap hit should only be $16M next year (same as Freeney!).

In other news, Kelvin Hayden and Ryan Diem were both apparently asked to restructure and both refused, so both will be released. Diem was a no-brainer, but Hayden is a big surprise. I hope they have a plan for the CBs this year. Hayden is a big disappointment but for only $1M saved in cap space and the injury history of our corners I really wonder about this move.

Addai was re-signed officially! Hooray.

Next up C Johnson, hopefully.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-30-2011, 04:48 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I'm not even sure I want Charlie resigned.

It's better not be long-term contract nor a lot of money.

Sig by Primetime21
Old 07-30-2011, 04:53 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
I'm not even sure I want Charlie resigned.

It's better not be long-term contract nor a lot of money.
He is fine at RT. I'm sure it would be a 2 or 3 year contract for just a solid amount. He's not worth a big contract but the team is kind of low in OTs now with Diem gone. C Johnson is versatile enough to be worth keeping IMO.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-30-2011, 05:04 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
He is fine at RT. I'm sure it would be a 2 or 3 year contract for just a solid amount. He's not worth a big contract but the team is kind of low in OTs now with Diem gone. C Johnson is versatile enough to be worth keeping IMO.
He's versatile, but he isn't above average at any of the positions.

Sig by Primetime21
Old 07-30-2011, 06:22 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Not saying he is. But if the rookies are not ready to start, especially Ijalana, I'd rather have someone like CJ who should be cheap and can hold up his end long enough for the newbs to get acclimated.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-30-2011, 06:28 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Hayden breaks my heart. :(

Now I have to find another favorite corner. First Jackson and now this...

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 07-30-2011, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently Jared Gaither deal fell through GET HIM!

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
Apparently Jared Gaither deal fell through GET HIM!
Not a huge fan of that idea. He didn't pass the Raiders physical. No thanks. The Colts need to go get Donte Whitner or Atari Bigby, and at this point, Whitner is my preference.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2011, 07:21 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mildly surprised Hayden was cut as the savings weren't that big. But in years to come, it'll be good to have that contract off the books. I'm ok with Powers, Lacey, Kevin Thomas, and the guy who's name I can't think of who started with all the injuries we had.

I think signing CJ is a good idea simply because it gives us so much flexibility. If Ijalana isn't ready to play RT, CJ can take RT while Ijalana starts at guard. When Ijalana is ready to play RT, they can switch.

If we go after anyone at this point, think it should be Aubruyo Franklin from the 49ers. If all the 3-4 teams have found their NT have found their team, we might be able to get him at a value price. He'd do wonders for the run defense.

Last edited by falloutboy14 : 07-30-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Not a huge fan of that idea. He didn't pass the Raiders physical. No thanks. The Colts need to go get Donte Whitner or Atari Bigby, and at this point, Whitner is my preference.
As a fan of THE Ohio State University I couldnt agree more

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:30 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweater-vest_mafia View Post
As a fan of THE Ohio State University I couldnt agree more
Being an Ohio State football player is actually a negative on him in my book, but it's more than made up for by the positives of being great in run support, and being one of the surest tacklers in the NFL (something the Colts defense sorely needs).

Quote:
Old 07-31-2011, 10:07 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I actually wanted Gaither at one time but between his back and the fact that our roadmap for our OTs is already planned out I don't think we need him anymore. If the Colts want to sign somebody they should find a guard that can run block and help Saturday out in his final year. Though I am holding out hope that McClendon has grown enough to start this season. He's smart, he's strong, the only question is does he have NFL guard skills?

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-31-2011, 10:07 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I wouldn't mind signing Whitner though of course I'd prefer Aubrayo Franklin. Bigby's injury history concerns me.

i done stole dis sig
Old 07-31-2011, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Being an Ohio State football player is actually a negative on him in my book, but it's more than made up for by the positives of being great in run support, and being one of the surest tacklers in the NFL (something the Colts defense sorely needs).
Lol. I won't start hate inside of my team forum but I'm interested as to why being from THE Ohio State University is a negative.

I also think that his ability to bring the lumber makes him a good replacement for Sanders but has less injury concerns.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:17 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...cut-stay-Colts

Diem has re-signed with the team for a cheaper contract. Wonder what this does for CJ.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:01 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Ugh. Probably means CJ is not coming back. Which sucks because Diem is terrible. Unless they move him to guard, I've said all along he still has the strength to play guard. But I have my doubts. My guess is the team feels more comfy and cozy with old man Diem starting at RT, because he "knows the system". No matter that he can't handle speed at all from a DE and got Manning hit more than anybody else last year.

i done stole dis sig