Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-20-2014, 02:03 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
If the Lions are one Kenny Britt away from disaster, they are already in trouble.

No one is advocating making Britt a cornerstone guy in the franchise. No one is advocating to simply make Britt the solution to our WR2 problem. He is a player who has showed tremendous talent on the field, who has zero leverage in contract negotiations. If he doesn't come in and toe the line, he is easily cut.

The guys been a goon, but players can mature. Especially when they go from top of the world to bottom of the barrel.
The trouble is that if you sign Britt, you aren't likely to draft a WR as well and if you do, it will be a much later pick, which pretty likely leaves your season depending on Britt's performance.
I guarantee you, winning franchises will avoid signing Britt at all costs. Did Titus reform, did Owens reform, idiots like Britt rarely change their spots, if Britt showed any likelihood that he could change, Tennessee wouldn't let him walk.

I don't care how talented he is or how cheap he is, he'll sign with a loser, any team hoping to make a olayoff run will avoid him like the plague.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:45 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Raiders built a formidable team with other teams' castoffs.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
The trouble is that if you sign Britt, you aren't likely to draft a WR as well and if you do, it will be a much later pick, which pretty likely leaves your season depending on Britt's performance.
I guarantee you, winning franchises will avoid signing Britt at all costs. Did Titus reform, did Owens reform, idiots like Britt rarely change their spots, if Britt showed any likelihood that he could change, Tennessee wouldn't let him walk.

I don't care how talented he is or how cheap he is, he'll sign with a loser, any team hoping to make a olayoff run will avoid him like the plague.
Yes and I think the argument is useless because I think there is minimal chance that Mayhew even considers it. If he had any interest at all he would have traded for him after Burleson went down. Many people said Detroit had no interest due to character.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Salary cap has been raised to $130 mil. A bigger raise than expected. Very good news for us!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Um, no. If you sign Britt it should have zero impact on whether you draft a WR high. Britt is a guy you sign as a 3rd or 4th WR going into camp, who you count on for nothing. If its any other scenario, you don't sign him. 1 year, 1 mil plus maybe a few incentives. I'd actually want 2 WRs in the draft/FA plus Britt.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
Salary cap has been raised to $130 mil. A bigger raise than expected. Very good news for us!
That's very nice. Basically makes Raiola free!

- so with Raiola, if we cut Jones,Sims,Harris and Owens we will be almost 15 mil under the cap. 12 if we keep Sims. That's without a Suh restructure. We should be able to be very active this offseason.

Last edited by Nastradamus : 02-20-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:23 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

Quote:

See, now we are going from talking about Britt to talking about personnel strategy. Considering how thin we are at receiver, signing Britt should have no impact on how we draft at the position. I'd love to sign Britt, draft Ebron and then draft a player like Jarvis Landry in the second.

It is ridiculous to compare Britt to Young, Young was certifiably insane. Owens and Britt aren't similar either (though I wouldn't have had a problem bringing Owens in a few years.) Britt is more like Randy Moss (criminal charges, lack of effort more than team-destroying ego). Britt clearly needs a change of scenery, so Tennessee's regarding him are irrelevant (after pissing him off last year, they would have to pay him more than the Lions would.)
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:26 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

Quote:
Yes and I think the argument is useless because I think there is minimal chance that Mayhew even considers it. If he had any interest at all he would have traded for him after Burleson went down. Many people said Detroit had no interest due to character.
That logic doesn't hold up. Trading for Britt cost capital - both '13 cap space and draft picks. Signing Britt on a deal with zero guaranteed money cost zero capital.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
See, now we are going from talking about Britt to talking about personnel strategy. Considering how thin we are at receiver, signing Britt should have no impact on how we draft at the position. I'd love to sign Britt, draft Ebron and then draft a player like Jarvis Landry in the second.

It is ridiculous to compare Britt to Young, Young was certifiably insane. Owens and Britt aren't similar either (though I wouldn't have had a problem bringing Owens in a few years.) Britt is more like Randy Moss (criminal charges, lack of effort more than team-destroying ego). Britt clearly needs a change of scenery, so Tennessee's regarding him are irrelevant (after pissing him off last year, they would have to pay him more than the Lions would.)
The one thing I'd though, is that the Titans starting TE recently came out and said that they had 2 or 3 cancers in the locker room. It might not be Britt, but if it is, that's a big concern.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:10 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
The one thing I'd though, is that the Titans starting TE recently came out and said that they had 2 or 3 cancers in the locker room. It might not be Britt, but if it is, that's a big concern.
It is clear that Britt's relationship with the coaching staff was horrible, so I actually assume Britt was one of those 2 or 3 cancers.

But Britt played for Schiano, was apparently going to be a target of Schiano's this offseason and Britt has gone out of his way to thank and praise Schiano in the past. So I don't think Britt is simply adverse to coaching, I think sometimes bad situations simply arise.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:15 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It is clear that Britt's relationship with the coaching staff was horrible, so I actually assume Britt was one of those 2 or 3 cancers.

But Britt played for Schiano, was apparently going to be a target of Schiano's this offseason and Britt has gone out of his way to thank and praise Schiano in the past. So I don't think Britt is simply adverse to coaching, I think sometimes bad situations simply arise.
You cannot cut the sword both ways, even if you are right that Britt isn't a cancer, then your not going to get him for a song, he will be an expensive FA if that is how the league views him. At least 4-6 million with a signing bonus. You can only get him on the cheap if nobody else wants him because he is a terrible cancer on his team.

Finally, if you have to pay Britt decent money, you can forget about the team using a top 2 pick on another WR, so you are in essence putting all your eggs in one basket and praying Britt can deliver with no character issues otherwise you are washing the season down the drain..

Everything I've ever read about Britt suggests he is a terrible cancer on his team and IMO, it is a huge waste of time suggesting Mayhew would sign him. Mayhew isn't going to want to go through another Titus situation which drags the team down. He's trying to build a contender and contenders rarely allow a Britt on their team.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 02-21-2014 at 02:19 AM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:12 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

100% IAC. It's not happening. No reason to waste our time thinking about it and I want nothing to do with him. Plenty of other options to fill our WR holes. Don't need any distraction on this team. We have enough as it is and we need winners not self indulged cancers. Winning teams don't waste their time with those guys unless the talent level is out the roof and there is a locker room to keep them in check. Neither of those applies to Britt or our locker room.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Mayhew said a new deal with Suh will probably be done on the eve of free agency. He said its no guarantee, but that's what he expects at this point.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
You cannot cut the sword both ways, even if you are right that Britt isn't a cancer, then your not going to get him for a song, he will be an expensive FA if that is how the league views him. At least 4-6 million with a signing bonus. You can only get him on the cheap if nobody else wants him because he is a terrible cancer on his team.

Finally, if you have to pay Britt decent money, you can forget about the team using a top 2 pick on another WR, so you are in essence putting all your eggs in one basket and praying Britt can deliver with no character issues otherwise you are washing the season down the drain..

Everything I've ever read about Britt suggests he is a terrible cancer on his team and IMO, it is a huge waste of time suggesting Mayhew would sign him. Mayhew isn't going to want to go through another Titus situation which drags the team down. He's trying to build a contender and contenders rarely allow a Britt on their team.
This is a pretty extreme version of all possible scenarios.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:26 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Quote:

Finally, if you have to pay Britt decent money, you can forget about the team using a top 2 pick on another WR, so you are in essence putting all your eggs in one basket and praying Britt can deliver with no character issues otherwise you are washing the season down the drain.
That's not remotely true. Britt is a risky signing, there is no doubt about it. Even if Britt was a boy scout - he has had numerous injuries and was a healthy scratch late last year for Tennessee. In an offseason flooded with talented receivers, Britt isn't going to get 4-6 million. That's simply not going to happen.

Quote:
Again, the Titus Young comparisons are critically flawed. Multiple contenders have added players with a spotted past. I wouldn't be shocked to see New England go after Britt this offseason.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:24 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

I would be very surprised if New England went after him. Even if they did though it's simply not a fair comparison, the best coach in the league who's been there forever and a winning locker room is nothing close to what we have. A cancer of a player can affect teams differently and the New England locker room is basically immune to it.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:23 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Quote:
I would be very surprised if New England went after him. Even if they did though it's simply not a fair comparison, the best coach in the league who's been there forever and a winning locker room is nothing close to what we have. A cancer of a player can affect teams differently and the New England locker room is basically immune to it.
To me, you bring in a coach like Caldwell particularly for these sort of players.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Anyone else who'd really like to target Antonio Cromartie this offseason? I think he'd be cheap in comaprison to the top few CBs(DRC,Grimes,Talib,Davis,Verner) and while he's been inconsistent, he's just turning 30 and is 6'2 with plus athleticism. That just doesn't come along very often. He seems to have some issues in his personal life, but I don't hear about any locker room issues.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:02 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Quote:
Anyone else who'd really like to target Antonio Cromartie this offseason? I think he'd be cheap in comaprison to the top few CBs(DRC,Grimes,Talib,Davis,Verner) and while he's been inconsistent, he's just turning 30 and is 6'2 with plus athleticism. That just doesn't come along very often. He seems to have some issues in his personal life, but I don't hear about any locker room issues.
If the price is right, but I expect him to return to Rex Ryan. I think Cro has matured a great deal all the way around, would have no worries about him in the locker room.

I'd be happy just bringing back Mathis on another year deal.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

all the rumors are that they are cutting him to save space. Haven't heard that they'll try to bring him back, but you never know I guess.

I like Mathis,but I'm looking to upgrade before I settle on him. I think Cro is a guy you can line up on a #1 WR all day for the most part.

Also, I like going after cut guys. Peppers,Cromartie and Zach Miller are some of my biggest targets, as they don't cost you comp picks and we would get them for Young,Pettigrew,Hill and Mathis most likely.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:45 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Quote:
all the rumors are that they are cutting him to save space. Haven't heard that they'll try to bring him back, but you never know I guess.

I like Mathis,but I'm looking to upgrade before I settle on him. I think Cro is a guy you can line up on a #1 WR all day for the most part.

Also, I like going after cut guys. Peppers,Cromartie and Zach Miller are some of my biggest targets, as they don't cost you comp picks and we would get them for Young,Pettigrew,Hill and Mathis most likely.
I'm just not sure if we need to go investing money in big name free agents over 30.

Corey Graham from Baltimore would be a solid youngish (28) signing. And, again, I really like the idea of adding Chris Clemons.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

I'm looking for bargains,so if things get out of control I'd quickly back away. I think Peppers could come for a deal, for example, as he had a down year and the DE market is a bit flooded.

I'd much rather have 29 year old Cromartie over 28 year old Graham.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:46 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Quote:
I'm looking for bargains,so if things get out of control I'd quickly back away. I think Peppers could come for a deal, for example, as he had a down year and the DE market is a bit flooded.
Yea, but I think his reputation will proceed him and a lot of teams are more desperate for a pass rusher than we are. Tampa, for example.

Quote:
I'd much rather have 29 year old Cromartie over 28 year old Graham.
If the money is equal, I agree 100%. But I think we can get Graham for significantly cheaper than Cro.

Here's this for a more exciting name than any I have come up with - Golden Tate. I think he is undervalued due to Seattle's offense.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

I'm guessing that if he has the money, Mayhew will sign one big FA and I'm also guessing, it will be a Safety to replace Delmas. Once you get past Pryor and Clinton-Dix, there aren't a lot of good Safeties left in the draft.

If we draft Gilbert, we aren't going to spend much on FA CB's, If Pettigrew walks and we draft Ebron, FA TE's won't be signed. If we draft a WR in the 2nd round, and don't draft another one, then a cheap WR might be signed in FA but personally, I think they will draft 2 WR's this year.
The OL needs some real depth so a moderate FA signing might secure one although if they draft an OC in round 3, he could provide depth at OG as well.

We are just going to have to see what FA losses we suffer and who we sign to replace them, before we will be able to finalize the draft picture.

I'm really hoping for Gilbert as our pick but we will likely lose him if Pettigrew walks, it would add a killer piece to our defense. I think it is a given that we draft a WR in round 2 and I'm betting that an OC will be our pick in round 3. They brought in Backus' replacement a year early, and I believe they'll do the same with Raolia especially if he can back up the OG's for a year.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

FA will basically be done by draft time,so a lot of those scenarios won't come to light really.

I agree we sign one big FA. EIther a CB,S,DE or WR.

Love the Tate suggestion SN, he is undervalued. Love his blocking too as an added bonus. I wouldn't overpay, but I'd look at him. He'll minimally get what Cooper got.