Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Old 12-07-2010, 10:56 AM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

tfry hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Team Needs

After 13 weeks, what do you think are teams needs are? Here's my list so far...

1. LB
2. WR
3. DL
4. RB
5. S
tfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:58 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In order....

1. Wide Receiver
2. Outside Linebacker
3. Strong Safety
4. Backup Running back
5. Defensive End
6. Cornerback

A question I've asked a few of my friends, can George Selvie be the Rams Right End in the future? I've only seen him in there a few times but it's not like he's done that bad of a job.

Last edited by holt_bruce81 : 12-07-2010 at 10:01 PM.
holt_bruce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:29 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My list...

1) Wide Receiver: The Rams lack a real weapon in the passing game that defenses have to take into consideration. They're focusing on Amendola, which has helped free up Brandon Gibson a little bit, but averaging 55 ypg as arguably the team's go-to guy isn't getting it done. A true difference maker at receiver is needed, not only to help Bradford be all that he can be but also to force defenses to defend the pass, thus helping Steven Jackson in the running game.

2) Outside LB: The only linebacker of note on this team is James Laurinaitis. The Rams have been trying to get by with band aids at the OLB spots for two seasons now, and they're simply not getting very good play from the positions. Some would argue that David Vobora is a decent enough SAM 'backer, but really, both starting outside spots could use an upgrade.

3) 4-3 Pass Rusher (RE or UT): Let's face it, the Rams can't bank on Fred Robbins or James Hall playing as well as they have this season. Hall's production is already slowing down as the season wears on. A RDE to take over for Hall and an upgrade at DT (for both Robbins and beside him, as Gibson/Cudjo probably aren't the answers) would be great.

4) Offensive Guard: There have been times this season where Adam Goldberg has simply been abused, and Greco can't seem to stay healthy enough to challenge for that job. Jacob Bell has been very up and down during his stay on the team. While pass protection has been solid, the Rams lack the run blocking efficiency you'd like to see from a team with a Top 3 RB. They rank third in the league in negative rushing plays when running up the middle. It all starts up front.

5) Running Back (back-up/future starter): Steven Jackson can't keep carrying the load by himself. He's done it too long, and his body is starting to wear down already. If the Rams could find their own version of Jonathan Stewart or Felix Jones - a borderline starting running back to share the load with Jackson in a power running game - I think it would not only help prolong Jackson's career but also make the running attack that much more dangerous.

6) Strong Safety: This isn't #6 on my list because I don't think it's a big need; it's #6 because I think other positions are bigger needs. But the fact remains that the Rams could definitely use an upgrade at strong safety. Butler is adequate at best, and Dahl is hot and cold. I don't like his man coverage skills, but he's a hard hitter who isn't afraid to make a tackle. He's a serviceable back-up and special teams player, but he's been forced into the starting line-up.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:44 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying here. I think that this team has come a long way talent-wise. The thing is that we were so low on talent when Spags got here, and free agents were passing on playing here, that building a strong group of talent has been a slow process. I think that this offseason will produce fruits of the last two seasons' labor.

Wide receiver is an area of concern, but it is a bit tricky as well. Amendola is a great 3rd receiver, and would be much more productive if their were two polished receivers around him. At this point defenses are able to give him attention, which has resulted in him only averaging about 8 yards per catch.

Danario Alexander and Donnie Avery have the talent to be those two guys, but health may continue to be an ongoing issue. Laurent Robinson has also showed that he can be a player, but has the same knock. Gibson appears to be coming along well but is still developing.

My take on adding a WR is that we should either move up in the draft to get a bonafide stud like A.J. Green or bring in a seasoned veteran who still has a few good years in him, like a Vincent Jackson. To bring in another talented "project" player who would likely just take a roster spot from one of the aforementioned players seems fruitless to me.

Outside linebacker is an absolute necessity. Every year in the draft there is a stud that falls to the second round due to the fact that linebacker is considered to be less of a necessity; this is how Laurinitis came to us last year. This position absolutely needs addressing. Time and time again I see Grant and Vobora making tackles 5 yards off the line of scrimmage that should be 2 yard gains.

Our offensive tackles seem to be getting it, and now it is time to beef up the middle. I have often said that excellent lunchpail linemen can be had in the 3rd round every year. John Moffitt from Wisconsin comes to mind.

I also have the belief that you can never have too many corners. It would not bother me to see us add to the secondary, whether it be via the draft or free agency.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 AM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

Everyone agrees that wide receiver seems to be one of our biggest needs. However, we have a stable full of young and talented receivers. Just curious, but if everyone was healthy entering next season and we drafted another rookie WR in the first three rounds, who do you think the Rams should keep?

Alexander, Danario - I can't see us dumping DA with the talent he's flashed and the cheap contract he's signed to.
Amendola, Danny - Is an ideal slot receiver/return man. Can't see him gone.
Avery, Donnie - Constantly injured, but can play when healthy. To early to give up on him?
Clayton, Mark - Looked like a top 10 receiver when healthy. Could only imagine what he would look like with the entire playbook learned.
Gibson, Bradon - Arguably our most reliable receiver, but lacks talent compared to other receivers.
Gilyard, Marty - guy is an idiot and can't get on the field because he hasn't learned the playbook.
Robinson, Laurent - Just doesn't look like the guy from '09 and has constant injury issues. May be the odd man out.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:02 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm watching Florida-Penn St and am really impressed with Mike Pouncey. I highly doubt he makes it to the 2nd round, but if he were to slide he would be an excellent snag. Should be an excellent road grader just like his brother, who made the pro bowl this year as a rookie.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say our top three in order are WR, DT/DE (so defensive line), and OLB. That would be mine.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:14 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could see you guys bring in Haynesworth. Long and Fat Al would be nasty.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 PM    (permalink
TheGM
Rookie

TheGM is a cocksman.TheGM is a cocksman.TheGM is a cocksman.

1) WR: watching this offense dink and dunk Bradford to 3,500 yards makes you wonder what kind of numbers the offense could put up with a legitimate number one receiver (don't kid yourself the team didn't have one at any point this year). Adding a true number one will have a drastic effect on both sides of the ball. It would open up the run game and allow solid receivers like Amendola, Clayton, and Alexander to work one on one. Scoring output will increase allowing the defense to focus on getting after the passer an protecting a lead.

2) RE: a legit blindside pass-rusher would do a lot to improve this defense. provided the Rams can get a legit #1 wideout or at least keep Clayton healthy this team is going to put up points so finishing teams off will depend on the ability to get sacks and force errant throws with pressure.

3) OG: Jackson's 3.7 yards per carry average isn't just a result of his declining skill set. This teams rushing attack is predicated on spreading the field and running the ball into the void created in the middle. To do so the O-line has too win the battle up front and ideally get to the second level, too often the interior of the line wasn't able to do so. I credit the Rams for being able to convert so many third and longs but with a Back like Jackson 2nd and managable should be the norm.

4) OLB/SS: This team is in desperate need of upgrades at the second and third level of the defense. I've listed them together as I think an upgrade in either area would make a huge impact.

5) TE: A legit receiving tightend would make a world of difference for Sam Bradford. Its tough to name a top-flight QB that doesn't have a big-time target at the TE position. Reduced turnovers, redzone TDs, and help in the rungame would come with the addition of a dynamic player at the TE.

Note: At the risk of sounding like Al Davis, add some speed at receiver if you can't get a number one WR. I know Denario is the "big play guy" but at best he can only play 25 snaps a game or his body (knees) will wear out. Someone else has to be able to step in and take the top off the defense for the remaining 40 plus snaps.
TheGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 AM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Wide Receiver
2. Defensive Tackle
3. Outside Linebacker
4. Offensive Guard
5. Corner Back

Hopefully before the draft the Rams make an impact in the Free Agent market. If they can bring in a big name player then thier draft will be much easier. By winning this season and Bradford putting up big numbers with a group of no name Wide Receivers, then possibly a big name Wide Recevier Free Agent might want to become a Ram and then the Rams could do more in the draft with the other positions.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"

Last edited by freebirdsrams02 : 01-04-2011 at 11:34 AM.
freebirdsrams02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGM View Post
1) WR: watching this offense dink and dunk Bradford to 3,500 yards makes you wonder what kind of numbers the offense could put up with a legitimate number one receiver (don't kid yourself the team didn't have one at any point this year). Adding a true number one will have a drastic effect on both sides of the ball. It would open up the run game and allow solid receivers like Amendola, Clayton, and Alexander to work one on one. Scoring output will increase allowing the defense to focus on getting after the passer an protecting a lead.

2) RE: a legit blindside pass-rusher would do a lot to improve this defense. provided the Rams can get a legit #1 wideout or at least keep Clayton healthy this team is going to put up points so finishing teams off will depend on the ability to get sacks and force errant throws with pressure.

3) OG: Jackson's 3.7 yards per carry average isn't just a result of his declining skill set. This teams rushing attack is predicated on spreading the field and running the ball into the void created in the middle. To do so the O-line has too win the battle up front and ideally get to the second level, too often the interior of the line wasn't able to do so. I credit the Rams for being able to convert so many third and longs but with a Back like Jackson 2nd and managable should be the norm.

4) OLB/SS: This team is in desperate need of upgrades at the second and third level of the defense. I've listed them together as I think an upgrade in either area would make a huge impact.

5) TE: A legit receiving tightend would make a world of difference for Sam Bradford. Its tough to name a top-flight QB that doesn't have a big-time target at the TE position. Reduced turnovers, redzone TDs, and help in the rungame would come with the addition of a dynamic player at the TE.

Note: At the risk of sounding like Al Davis, add some speed at receiver if you can't get a number one WR. I know Denario is the "big play guy" but at best he can only play 25 snaps a game or his body (knees) will wear out. Someone else has to be able to step in and take the top off the defense for the remaining 40 plus snaps.
This would be my 1-5, I might switch #5 from TE to DT.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:03 PM    (permalink
TheGM
Rookie

I agree that DT is important, but I think that if your gonna give Sam Bradford 50 million you better give him an arsenal to go with it. If I'm the Rams' GM I follow the Colts model and stack the offense with early round talent.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:48 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGM View Post
I agree that DT is important, but I think that if your gonna give Sam Bradford 50 million you better give him an arsenal to go with it. If I'm the Rams' GM I follow the Colts model and stack the offense with early round talent.
I just like what I've seen from Illinois Mike this season and think he can be a very good Tight End and I have high hopes for Fendi.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fendi is a big-time project. Even if he develops his receiving skills, he's going to be limited as a blocker, and the Rams like their tight ends to help run block.

As for Hoomanawanui, he's shown some flashes but durability is becoming a concern. Two significant ankle sprains this season as well as a rib injury. Can he hold up to the punishment a starting TE is going to take?

I wouldn't be outraged if the Rams saw a viable starting tight end in free agency and went after him.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:04 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

My Mock-Offseason.....

Rams Free Agent Signings:

Davin Joseph OG

Mathias Kiwanuka DE

Barry Cofield DT

2011 NFL Draft:

1st Round selection: Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State

2nd Round Selection: Mikel Leshoure RB Illinois

3rd Round selection: John Moffitt OG Wisconsin

4th Round selection: Tyler Sash SS Iowa

5th Round selection: Brian Rolle OLB Ohio State

6th Round selection: Charles Clay FB Tulsa

7th Round selection: Kevin Rutland CB Missouri
Old 01-10-2011, 03:21 PM    (permalink
tfry
Rookie

That would be a nice offseason Holt_Bruce. I assume you love the Big 10 and Big 12...haha

I'd rather have a Chad Greenway than any of those free agents, but those would be nice pickups and hard to argue with.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Joecool
Rookie

Joecool Joecool Joecool Joecool Joecool Joecool Joecool

Ok Hear me out of this please

1) RB: Steven Jackson is the only consistent weapon on offence imo. He played hurt most of the year and u dont want your number 1 weapon hurt. A receiver is what most people will say but in this draft receiver class is pretty deep. Imo the best pick for the rams would be mark ingram in the first round. He should fall to them and he is a real beast. If the rams are smart they will go ingram.

2) WR: Yes receiver is a need but clayton and avery are solid guys if they can stay on the field. Every other receiver on the roster should be cut imo. There not good at all and theres better guys in FA. If the rams where smart they should go grab leonard hankerson in the second round. Grab vjax for a number 1 target and keep amendola because he can catch unlike the other no names.

After this in the draft is bpa. But i think a back up qb should be taken just in case bradford goes down. Maybe someone in the firth or sixth round.
Joecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:35 PM    (permalink
TheGM
Rookie

So with McDaniels as the New OC do you think there will be any big changes in the Rams draft needs? Does this mean that the Rams are going to try to put up numbers this upcoming season?

I have to say I love the idea of seeing Bradford in McD's system as Oklahoma's offense is very similar. Is it too late to advocate SB4K.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
1) RB: Steven Jackson is the only consistent weapon on offence imo. He played hurt most of the year and u dont want your number 1 weapon hurt. A receiver is what most people will say but in this draft receiver class is pretty deep. Imo the best pick for the rams would be mark ingram in the first round. He should fall to them and he is a real beast. If the rams are smart they will go ingram.
I disagree completely. The Rams need someone to spell Jackson, yes. But Ingram does not have the skillset that you'd want as a change-of-pace 'back to Jackson. If the Rams are going to add a back-up RB behind #39, then they'll need someone (IMO) who has the speed and open field skills to be a home run threat any time he touches the ball. I'd rather see the Rams add someone in the mold of a Darren Sproles, whom I think the Rams were interested in last year and would be interested in again whenever free agency rolls around.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM    (permalink
PossumBoy9
Rookie

PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
My list...

1) Wide Receiver: The Rams lack a real weapon in the passing game that defenses have to take into consideration. They're focusing on Amendola, which has helped free up Brandon Gibson a little bit, but averaging 55 ypg as arguably the team's go-to guy isn't getting it done. A true difference maker at receiver is needed, not only to help Bradford be all that he can be but also to force defenses to defend the pass, thus helping Steven Jackson in the running game.

2) Outside LB: The only linebacker of note on this team is James Laurinaitis. The Rams have been trying to get by with band aids at the OLB spots for two seasons now, and they're simply not getting very good play from the positions. Some would argue that David Vobora is a decent enough SAM 'backer, but really, both starting outside spots could use an upgrade.

3) 4-3 Pass Rusher (RE or UT): Let's face it, the Rams can't bank on Fred Robbins or James Hall playing as well as they have this season. Hall's production is already slowing down as the season wears on. A RDE to take over for Hall and an upgrade at DT (for both Robbins and beside him, as Gibson/Cudjo probably aren't the answers) would be great.

4) Offensive Guard: There have been times this season where Adam Goldberg has simply been abused, and Greco can't seem to stay healthy enough to challenge for that job. Jacob Bell has been very up and down during his stay on the team. While pass protection has been solid, the Rams lack the run blocking efficiency you'd like to see from a team with a Top 3 RB. They rank third in the league in negative rushing plays when running up the middle. It all starts up front.

5) Running Back (back-up/future starter): Steven Jackson can't keep carrying the load by himself. He's done it too long, and his body is starting to wear down already. If the Rams could find their own version of Jonathan Stewart or Felix Jones - a borderline starting running back to share the load with Jackson in a power running game - I think it would not only help prolong Jackson's career but also make the running attack that much more dangerous.

6) Strong Safety: This isn't #6 on my list because I don't think it's a big need; it's #6 because I think other positions are bigger needs. But the fact remains that the Rams could definitely use an upgrade at strong safety. Butler is adequate at best, and Dahl is hot and cold. I don't like his man coverage skills, but he's a hard hitter who isn't afraid to make a tackle. He's a serviceable back-up and special teams player, but he's been forced into the starting line-up.
I agree with your list, though I believe TE is a need, as well.
PossumBoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 AM    (permalink
PossumBoy9
Rookie

PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfry View Post
Everyone agrees that wide receiver seems to be one of our biggest needs. However, we have a stable full of young and talented receivers. Just curious, but if everyone was healthy entering next season and we drafted another rookie WR in the first three rounds, who do you think the Rams should keep?
A stable full? The lack of talent in the WR corps is a major issue, IMO.
PossumBoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:14 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I disagree completely. The Rams need someone to spell Jackson, yes. But Ingram does not have the skillset that you'd want as a change-of-pace 'back to Jackson. If the Rams are going to add a back-up RB behind #39, then they'll need someone (IMO) who has the speed and open field skills to be a home run threat any time he touches the ball. I'd rather see the Rams add someone in the mold of a Darren Sproles, whom I think the Rams were interested in last year and would be interested in again whenever free agency rolls around.
I agree, I think someone like Dion Lewis from Pitt or Jacquizz Rodgers from Oregon St. would be a better fit. Rodgers is small but he wouldn't be an everydown guy so it would not matter. There are to many questions at WR and DL to go with a RB in the first round.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
freebirdsrams02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Joecool
Rookie

Quote:
Im sorry but i dont really understand what u mean by change of pace. The way i see it is that the best thing the rams can do to improve there offense is to get a firm running game. Get a firm running game before u mess around with anything mcd has for the passing game. Jackson is not in his prime at all. In fact i expect him to be done within the next 2 years. Ingram wouldn't be drafted as a change of pace back. U draft him to pound the rock. Darren Sproles isnt a running back anyways. U cant close a game with him. Hes more of a receiver than anything. It's more about making a defence tired and putting long drives together. For a sproles type of player u can grab someone like damien berry. But i think the rams would be much more better with a strong running game then with young wide outs. Something like this for the draft.

1.preferred - M.Ingram RB
1.Next Best - R.Kerrigan DE
2.preferred - L.Hankerson WR
2.Next Best - J.Sheard DE
3.preferred - J.Moffitt OG
3.Next Best - D.Murray RB
4.preferred - C.Matthews ILB
4.Next Best - A.Pettis WR
5.preferred - C.Kaepernick QB
5.Next Best - M.White DE

U can get a good wide out in randy moss or terrell owens if u need a star right now.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
I agree with your list, though I believe TE is a need, as well.
Agreed, but I'd probably put TE in the 5-7 range. I'm not really interested in retaining Fells, and I'm nervous about whether Hoomanawanui can hold up to a 16-game schedule. But I think the other areas are probably higher up on the priority list.

I look at the TE position like I do the SS position - I think an upgrade in the starting line-up at both of those spots would be nice, but you can only do so much and those might have to take a back seat to other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdsrams02 View Post
I agree, I think someone like Dion Lewis from Pitt or Jacquizz Rodgers from Oregon St. would be a better fit. Rodgers is small but he wouldn't be an everydown guy so it would not matter. There are to many questions at WR and DL to go with a RB in the first round.
A mid-round RB with some legit speed would be ideal, IMO. Wouldn't rule out Sproles if he hits the market, due to previous interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Im sorry but i dont really understand what u mean by change of pace. The way i see it is that the best thing the rams can do to improve there offense is to get a firm running game. Get a firm running game before u mess around with anything mcd has for the passing game. Jackson is not in his prime at all. In fact i expect him to be done within the next 2 years. Ingram wouldn't be drafted as a change of pace back. U draft him to pound the rock. Darren Sproles isnt a running back anyways. U cant close a game with him. Hes more of a receiver than anything. It's more about making a defence tired and putting long drives together. For a sproles type of player u can grab someone like damien berry. But i think the rams would be much more better with a strong running game then with young wide outs. Something like this for the draft.

1.preferred - M.Ingram RB
1.Next Best - R.Kerrigan DE
2.preferred - L.Hankerson WR
2.Next Best - J.Sheard DE
3.preferred - J.Moffitt OG
3.Next Best - D.Murray RB
4.preferred - C.Matthews ILB
4.Next Best - A.Pettis WR
5.preferred - C.Kaepernick QB
5.Next Best - M.White DE

U can get a good wide out in randy moss or terrell owens if u need a star right now.
Then we're talking about a fundamental difference in approach.

I think Jackson has 2-3 more years left in the tank, and would benefit from a complimentary back who adds a speedy, dangerous element that the current running game is missing. Sharing a percentage of the load with a back of that nature will help extend Jackson's career.

You seem to think Jackson has a maximum of one or two seasons left and want to start phasing him out now by adding in a guy who doesn't add the breakaway component but rather represents a more between-the-tackles runner, even though the Rams do not have a line built for inside power running.

And the Rams had a chance to go after both Moss and Owens last year, and passed. I'm not sure that they'll be more inclined to take either of them now, a year later. They don't need an aging stop-gap receiver for a year or maybe two. They need a young stud they can partner with Bradford for multiple seasons.

Plus, I think if the Rams wanted to move towards a pure power running, wear-'em'-down offensive style, they probably wouldn't have gone after Josh McDaniels as their offensive coordinator.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:12 AM    (permalink
Joecool
Rookie

Quote:
Plus, I think if the Rams wanted to move towards a pure power running, wear-'em'-down offensive style, they probably wouldn't have gone after Josh McDaniels as their offensive coordinator.
Good point but i cant help but remember the dallas cowboys with aikman and smith. To me bradford and ingram could be that reincarnated.