Join Date: Oct 2005
My thoughts on how to fix NYG in 2015
NYG Plan for 2015
13 November 2014
Here is my current thinking for how to turn things around for next year.
Changes are needed, of that there is no doubt. But I don’t think we need a new HC or GM. Don’t get me wrong, there will be significant changes, but they may not be as obvious.
I think both Reese and Coughlin are good at what they do, moreover I think both will learn and adapt. One key change will need to be Coughlin having greater impact on roster decisions.
I think the offence is well placed under McAdoo and needs to develop with Eli and add a couple of key pieces
Overall I think Coughlin is the right guy to turn things around. We need to get more physical in the trenches on both sides of the ball. We also need to get more aggressive on defence, particularly in the front seven. We need to get younger and healthier.
Head Coach: Tom Coughlin
· Offensive Coordinator: Ben McAdoo
o Quarter-back Coach: Danny Langsdorf
o Running-back Coach: Craig Johnson
o Wide Receiver Coach: Sean Ryan
o Tight End Coach: Kevin Gilbride
o Assistant Head Coach/ Offensive Line Coach: Tony Sparano
· Defensive Coordinator: Ron Rivera
o Defensive Line Coach: Pepper Johnson
o Assistant Head Coach/ Linebacker Coach: Mike Singletary
o Secondary Coach: Perry Fewell
· Special Teams Coordinator: Thomas McGaughey
o Assistant Special Teams Coach: Larry Izzo
Pat Flahrety has been solid for us, but I think it may be time to refresh the coaching if there is a chance to upgrade. Tony Sparano would be an ideal guy to as well help provide the right attitude we want up front, he also has ties with Coughlin. He is doing a solid job with Oakland, but the next head coach likely won’t want him hanging around.
On Defence, our coaching staff needs a shake up. Our schemes clearly aren’t working.
Hire Ron Rivera as Defensive Coordinator.
I think rightly or wrongly will take the fall for Carolina’s performance. Rivera is a quality defensive coach and I think will be able to turn our defence around very quickly. Rivera has experience in both 4-3 and 3-4 teams and is known for having quality 4-3 defences featuring physical defensive fronts and quality linebacker play.
Hire Pepper Johnson as Defensive Line Coach
I think we need to change up our defensive schemes, particularly with more physicality up front. There are a few options, but the guy I like the most is Pepper Johnson. He has ties with NYG and Coughlin plus he has coached very physical defensive fronts at NE and Buffalo. Johnson has experience with 4-3 and 3-4 fronts and spent 14 years learning his craft under Belicheck.
Hire Mike Singletary as Assistant Head Coach / Linebackers Coach. Singletary is a quality, disciplined and passionate linebacker coach. He has coached quality LB units with the Ravens, 49ers and Vikings with both 4-3 and 3-4 fronts. He will help install that physical attitude we need on our defensive front and help overhaul our LB unit. Singletary has ties with Rivera, playing with him in Chicago.
I would keep Perry Fewell as our Secondary Coach. He has done well with the secondary and we have seen a substantial improvement in defensive turnovers under his watch. I am going with a coaching reshuffle similar to what we did on offence last year. I don’t think Fewell will get a DC role in the immediate future. He also knows the players well, we should build on what we have, keep the quality secondary and fix the front seven, Fewell’s experience with the secondary compliments Rivera’s experience with the front seven nicely.. Both Fewell and Rivera coached together (in the same roles) under Lovie Smith in Chicago. I would also keep Dave Merritt as Assistant Secondary Coach (Safeties)
Hire Thomas McGaughey as Special Teams Coordinator. Quinn needs to go. McMaughey has coached here under Tom Coughlin (including SB42), before leaving to coach LSU’s special teams (he coached Beckham as a KR). I would keep Larry Izzo as Assistant Special Teams Coach.
This does bring in a bunch of quality coaches, but with this franchise and Coughlin’s situation, they can position themselves as potential HC candidates.
Here are the free agency moves I would consider doing as well as recent contracts that I have used to base my contract estimates on.
· RB David Wilson
· DE Matthias Kiwanuka
· LB Jon Beason (June 1 designation)
· DT Cullen Jenkins
· QB Eli Manning - 4 year / $68m, $18 SB, $45m guaranteed (Alex Smith)
· CB Prince Amukamara - 5 year/ $35m, $10m SB, $13.98 guaranteed (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie)
· WR Jerrel Jernigan - 1 year / $1.05m, $150k SB, $150k guaranteed (Jason Avant)
· TE Larry Donnell (ERFA) - 1 year / $495k (2014 contract)
· TE Daniel Fells – 1 year/$730k (2014 contract)
· FB Henry Hynoksi - 1 year / $1m, $250k SB, $250k guaranteed (2014 contract)
· OG John Jerry - 2 year / $2.63m, $300k guaranteed (Kevin Boothe)
· OG Adam Snyder - 1 year / $855k (2014 contract)
· OG Dallas Reynolds - 1 year / $570k (2014 contract)
· DE Jason Pierre Paul - 5 year / $35m, $4.95m SB, $15m guaranteed (Lamarr Houston)
· DT Mike Patterson - 1 year / $920k, $65k SB, $300k guaranteed (2014 contract)
· SS Antrel Rolle - 5 year / $10.63m, $1.5m SB, $1.5m guaranteed (Roman Harper) - contract has opt out after 2016)
· LB Jaquain Williams - 2 year / $4.5m, $600k SB, $600k guaranteed (Jameel McClain)
· LB Spencer Paysinger - 1 year / $1m (2014 contract)
· CB Walter Thurmond - 1 year, $3m (2014 contract)
· CB Zack Bowman - 1 year / $795k (2014 contract)
· FS Quintin Demps - 1 year / $1m (2014 contract)
Signings from other teams
· C Stefen Wisniewski (OAK) - 4 year / $25.4m, $9 SB, $14.55m guaranteed (Eric Wood)
· DE Adrian Clayborn (TB) - 2 year / $3.75m, $1m SB, $1.73m guaranteed (Robert Ayers)
· DT Ndamukong Suh (DET) - 6 years / $96m, $19m SB, $31.4m guaranteed (Mario Williams)
· DT Kenarick Ellis (NYJ) - 2 year / $3.75m, $1m SB, $1.73m guaranteed (Robert Ayers)
· LB Mason Foster (TB) - 4 year / $22m, $1m SB, $11m guaranteed (D'Qwell Jackson)
· LB Sean Weatherspoon (ATL) - 4 year / $15.75m, $3m SB, $4.75m guaranteed (Wesley Woodyard)
· FS Dawan Landry (NYJ) - 2 year / $3m, $650k SB, $650k guaranteed (2013 contract)
These signings bring our salary cap up to $130,295,109 against a projected $143m salary cap with 60 players under contract including $9,840,193 in dead money.
With plenty of elite talent, we can trade down trade for extra picks, perhaps with the Browns
Giants trade #9 to Browns for #17, #20
· 1/17 CB Trae Wayne, Michigan State
· 1/20 RB Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin
· 2/42 WR Rashad Greene, Florida State
· 3/70 FS Anthony Harris, Virginia
· 4/103 OT Sean Hickey, Syracuse
· 5/136 CB Kevin White, TCU
· 6/169 DE Cedric Reed, Texas
· 7/202 LB Taiwan Jones, Michigan State
· 7/219 LB Paul Dawson, TCU
Trae Wayne gives us a physical corner to develop for the future. Melvin Gordon is an explosive quick RB that complements Jennings and Williams. Rashad Greene gives Eli another quality weapon to team with Beckham and Cruz plus provides insurance against Cruz’s return from injury. Anthony Harris gives is a quality FS to develop for the future. Sean Hickey is similar to Pugh, a versatile lineman who can play several positions. He can be groomed as the swing tackle behind Pugh and Beatty. Kevin White is a dynamic nickel corner to upgrade our secondary. Cedric Reed gives a decent young DE to develop and Jones and Dawson give young LB depth and competition for spots
Proposed Depth Chart heading into training camp (need to add depth players to fill 90 man roster)
Offence (33 players)
· QB: Manning, Nassib
· LWR: Cruz, Randle, Parker, Harris
· RWR: Beckham, Greene, Jernigan, Washington
· TE: Donnell, Fells, Robinson
· LT: Beatty, Hickey, Gaines
· LG: Richburg, Reynolds, Snyder
· C: Wisniewski, Walton
· RG: Schwartz, Jerry, Herman
· RT: Pugh, Mosley, Kropog
· RB: Jennings, Gordon, Williams, Hillis, Cox
· FB: Hynoski
Defence (35 players)
· LDE: Ayers, Clayborn, Reed, Wynn
· LDT: Suh, Bromley, Kuhn
· RDT: Hankins, Ellis, Patterson
· RDE: Pierre-Paul, Moore
· SLB: Weatherspoon, Kennard, Jones
· MLB: Foster, McClain, Dawson
· WLB: Williams, Paysinger
· LCB: Amukamara, Wayne, Bowman, McBride, Howard
· SS: Rolle, Berhe, Taylor
· FS: Landry, Harris, Demps
· RCB: Rodgers-Cromartie, Thurmond, White, Hosley
Special Teams (3 players)
· P: Weatherford
· PK: Brown
· LS: DeOssie
Last edited by Big_Pete : 11-12-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Reason: fixed typo