Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-28-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Maybe it's industry specific. But it's not just me who's done it. My brother job hopped in wall street and it paid huge dividends for his career. I know several colleagues who have done the same.

3 years in one company is a long time. The job market is volatile. Switching jobs every 2 to 3 years isn't terrible to me. Every 6 months? Yeah you can't do that. Every 2 to 3 years? That's common, and I think it should be practiced for career development.
Again, 3 years at one company, but what industry? Bio tech? Consulting companies like Accenture, and Bain are companies where you stay for the long hall. My best friend is manager now and it takes a long time. Same with a company like Goldman Sachs. Towers Perin is HR consulting company which you need to stay.

The job market is bad, so if you can get a job and stay you do that. Again maybe industry specific, but if you got on with the companies listed above and you chose to leave people will be like why? Unless it's a huge increase in position it's very hard to move because they invested in you, and you're moving within the company up. If I am an analyst at Goldman, I am not leaving. I don't want to leave. That's where you want to be. If I am leaving it's because I am fired. Even if I move, I can work out of any world branch.

That's the factor. The companies I am talking about have offices around the world. So I think it's industry specific. Perhaps in your line of work things are different.

I always told friend sports and medicine are shielded from the economy. People will always get sick and people will always watch sports for fun. So if I was a scout or football coach, my job is safe from the outside world economy. Now the dynamics dictate within the industry there is high turnover, but if the economy dips, I won't lose my job in sports.

So those two industries are protected.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

4 years out of college and on my 4th company, 15-25% raises every switch.

This last switch was definitely the hardest, I'm starting to get near the max companies are willing to pay someone my age. I also was definitely asked in most interviews why I have switched so much in this short amount of time.

Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You never leave for a lateral move. That defeats the purpose of job hopping. You leave for a promotion. It's simple to me: I give a company the opportunity to promote me within 2 years. If the promotion doesn't happen, I make my own promotion by going to another company who will hire me for a position that's higher than my current position.

That's how you job hop. You NEVER job hop for a lateral position, that defeats the purpose. And you can always justify it by saying you were offered a better opportunity. Nobody is gonna hate on you for doing that.

And as long as you do 2 years minimum, you're fine. It's bad if you do every year or every 6 months. That's bad. You have to put in 2 years.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
4 years out of college and on my 4th company, 15-25% raises every switch.

This last switch was definitely the hardest, I'm starting to get near the max companies are willing to pay someone my age. I also was definitely asked in most interviews why I have switched so much in this short amount of time.

This guy gets it.

The trick is early in your career to be a contractor. That way the job hopping is more justified. Bc your contract was up after a year. So you got another one. Boom. Justified.

Then once you get cushy, then you chill for awhile.

As you mentioned, you also have to be careful not to price yourself out of your range. Meaning if you are overpaid for your age/experience, you kind of screw yourself. It's important to know what the market is, and get the most you can for your market, but don't price yourself above the max value bc then you screw yourself.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Where are all these jobs opening popping up? Normally in the business world job jumping is looked down on. You're not a stable employee so they don't want to invest in you and training if you plan on going somewhere else.

Plus at the job interview they will ask you about why you left.

Jenny V. his replacement for us jumped too. Her job covering the draft was pathetic! She disappeared that weekend and basically mailed it in.

What an odd industry.
Job hopping only really gets looked down on when you've been changing jobs every year or two for a decade.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Once you get like 8 years on your resume, then you chill. But I see no problem with hopping around early in your career to make moves.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My cousin's wife has been job hopping and she's now at a position as a 30 year old that the last two people to hold were in their 50s, but she gets asked at every interview why she's moved around so much and has to convince them that they're the job that's special.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I also was definitely asked in most interviews why I have switched so much in this short amount of time.
That's what you have to answer. If you say for the money, and it comes down to you or someone else with better stability, that person will get hired. You want someone to fill in long term or longer, then someone who will use the company as a stepping stone.

Again, it's industry specific, and it applies more to companies who invest in training you and cultivating that talent from you.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
That's what you have to answer. If you say for the money, and it comes down to you or someone else with better stability, that person will get hired. You want someone to fill in long term or longer, then someone who will use the company as a stepping stone.

Again, it's industry specific, and it applies more to companies who invest in training you and cultivating that talent from you.

It is tough to balance, as I work in a field that is new(ish) and not many people have the experience (and I like to say talent) that I have.

I've gone from BAH->Deloitte->IBM, companies known for keeping and developing talent, but because of my field I am in the position to jump ship as soon as I don't get the raise I want.

As far as what BBD said, it is hard not for me to price myself out of my age range. No one does what I do that has 20 years of experience, the field didn't exist 20 years ago.

I will say, I am done with big companies, IBM right now is already pissing me off and I've been here 3 months. Next step is a startup, I have a nest egg and can afford to take the risk. If I ever need to, I can come back to these large consulting companies and try to climb their corporate ladders.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

It's easy convincing companies that their job is the one. You just tell them that this opportunity was too good to pass up and you see yourself working in that role and establishing your career in that role, and that's why you're here for the interview.

Boom. Done.

I have a job now that everyone else on my level needed 15 to 20 years of experience to get like Rosebud's friend. There's no way I get this position without hopping around.

And every industry requires time and investment for training. It's not just one kind of profession that does that. But you eventually reach a level where training is minimal. After 5 years in any industry the level of training required isn't as extreme bc they already expect you to have a good amount of knowledge.

Especially in management.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I work for the biggest company of them all and it sucks. I work for Merrill Lynch/Bank of America and will begin to transition to a big project in the upcoming weeks. I need to find a new company though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

You work in Manhattan GF?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You work in Manhattan GF?
Nope I'm actually in Hopewell, NJ which is about 10 minutes south of Princeton. There is a big ML campus here. It's the exit after TCNJ off 95 if you know where that is.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-28-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Nope I'm actually in Hopewell, NJ which is about 10 minutes south of Princeton. There is a big ML campus here. It's the exit after TCNJ off 95 if you know where that is.
Get out! I used to work in Princeton. Damn man, we could have grabbed lunch some time and I didn't even know it. I worked on College Road East.

I actually turned down a job in Hopewell before I took my current job too. Small world.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Get out! I used to work in Princeton. Damn man, we could have grabbed lunch some time and I didn't even know it. I worked on College Road East.

I actually turned down a job in Hopewell before I took my current job too. Small world.
I pass by that everyday because I used Scudders Mill Road to get home! Lunch would have been cool. We could have done it Monday's while discussing the Giants victory haha.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

When I end up moving to NYC, we are actually going to have to have that DC NYG fans party/orgy. Especially if I end up working part time at my buddy's bar while I get settled.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-28-2013, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Let me know anytime you guys are in the DC area, I'll buy you a beer.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
When I end up moving to NYC, we are actually going to have to have that DC NYG fans party/orgy. Especially if I end up working part time at my buddy's bar while I get settled.
What is the name of said bar?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

The idea would be to move further away from Biotech and pharma, and work is the only reason I've ever been in DC.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-28-2013, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
What is the name of said bar?
I'm not sure, it's kinda divey, but they're always packed and since he basically runs the bar for the owner, he makes bank off of it, but that type of information doesn't seem like it'd cut down the number of possibilities much at all.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-28-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I wonder if we're the only team forum that has these conversations lol
Old 05-28-2013, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Bars in NYC: 1 gazillion. It's true I just looked it up. Is it in Manhattan at least?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-28-2013, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Bars in NYC: 1 gazillion. It's true I just looked it up. Is it in Manhattan at least?
I think so, but I've only been to it once, and I was very un-sober that entire weekend so it could just as easily been in Brooklyn and I just didn't notice us leaving the island.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-28-2013, 02:17 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I wonder if we're the only team forum that has these conversations lol
I could see the Bills fans also having these convos. They're a good set of guys who we should invite to our get together since most of them are around NYC anyway.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-28-2013, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
I could see the Bills fans also having these convos. They're a good set of guys who we should invite to our get together since most of them are around NYC anyway.
Yeah they can buy our drinks since they've never won a Super Bowl.