Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the idea he's willing to be creative. I think all the big boys we brought in at DT will allow us to show different stuff throughout the year that will help against the newer NFL spreads.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem with Fewell is he'll talk a big game and we'll think he's changed to an extent, but when he's feeling the pressure he seems to always revert back to Cover 2 and blitzes with the player 10 yards off the line of scrimmage.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty much. Let's face it, he's not a good coordinator.

I've been saying this for awhile now though, I think Coughlin is part of the problem. Every DC we've had outside of Spags has been a Cover 2 DC. And surprise surprise, that's the only time we had a good defense. That's not a coincidence. Coughlin loves Cover 2. Even in Jacksonville his defenses were predominately Cover 2 defenses.

I don't think we'll see a philosophical change on defense until Coughlin retires.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's no way to disagree with that but I'll hold out hope that even if we play a lot of Cover 2 we're still going to switch stuff up on other plays. Maybe the self scout from last year really helped them realize they're shooting themselves in the foot too often.

Anyway good to see Snee and Thomas off PUP. Can't believe first game is Saturday already. Summer 2013 went by fasssssst.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh I agree. I love TC, but he's certainly not without his flaws. His unwillingness to play younger guys, unwillingness to bench or cut older veterans despite poor play, as well as his love for the Cover 2 are all things that bother me slightly. Again, it doesn't come close to outweighing all the good he does for the team though.

And heck, even Spags in those first few games seemed to come out playing conservative with tons of zone. I feel like he asked TC to let him play his style, aka the Jim Johnson style, and from then on it was money.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Yeah I'm sad. I'll be heading back to South Carolina on Saturday so I'll be driving all day.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At the end of the day, we still won a SB with a Cover 2 defense so we're just going to have to tolerate it for now. I just wish they drafted for the Cover 2 if we're so set on running that scheme.

That's the frustrating part. If you're gonna run a Cover 2 defense then draft players for a Cover 2. Don't ignore LB completely, don't bring in DTs who can't penetrate, don't draft man coverage CBs who aren't great in zone coverage.

It just makes no sense that we draft for an aggressive man coverage defense then run a scheme that is the complete opposite of our strength.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Yeah but Fewell did revamp the defense during that playoff run to a LARGE extent. In a large part due to players insistence. That's what I don't understand. You had a great run in the Super Bowl and saw how good the defense can be when it's simplified - why the hell would he want to switch back? I can only assume it's an ego thing. The vast majority of coaches would rather stick to their style of play, rather than make adjustments to the players they have.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I remember that. Spags would run a lot of Cover 2 the first couple of games and we got killed, then when he went full on Jim Johnson scheme we started kicking butt.

Even if Fewell decided to run a man cover 2 defense i'd be ok with it. Just stop with all the zone. We're not a good zone defense team. If he wants to be passive and rely on the front 4 all the time, fine, whatever. I guess we have to live with it. But run more man coverage for crying out loud. I hate his complex zones.

His zones and his pattern reading rules are what's hurting our coverages. He makes it too complicated.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yup it pretty much boils down to that. 65/35 man would be perfect. I'd take 50/50 at this point.

Also good point on what we draft compared to what we run. You'd think Reese would have interjected a little more on what he wants to see out there.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-06-2013, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

I mean, he's the GM and Tom is the incumbent as well. At the end of the day, most GMs can't really tell you what scheme to run. I mean, they can hire a coach who runs the scheme they want, though.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I really want our next coach to be a defensive coach. Bring some stability to our defense. Our offense will purr like a kitten as long as Eli is under center and we keep the same scheme. We don't need an offensive head coach anymore.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

I agree for the most part. I think it's a lot easier to get a good offensive coordinator in place than it is a defensive coordinator. That and you can overcome a poor offensive coordinator much easier with great QB/skill position players. We see it all the time. Heck, the Giants are a bit of a showcase for that. I'm still not a Gilbride fan by any stretch of the imagination.

My fear is we'd promote him to HC if TC left after this year.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:06 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If TC leaves I want Mike Zimmer. How he hasn't been hired as a HC yet is beyond me. If not him then dip into the college level and look at Will Muschamp. I think with either of those two running our defense and Eli at QB we'd be in fine shape.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

It's because he's supposed to be a giant tool in interviews.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Zimmer has an ego and felt that he shouldn't have to showcase his ability to owners during interviews, that they should just hand him the job bc of his resume.

Yeah, that's TOTALLY how job interviews work...

It amazes me how stupid some people in football are. This is why I always say that every time we wonder why some coaches are complete idiots, just remember, that dumb jock you knew in high school, he's a football coach somewhere as we speak.

There aren't enough intelligent coaches out there because most of them were dumb jocks growing up.

Having that said, if Zimmer can check the ego at the door I wouldn't mind him as a potential HC of the future.

I like Miami's DC as well. Florida's HC, I'm a big fan of Stanford's HC I think he's going to be an excellent HC one day (yes I know he's an offensive guy but still), Ray Horton potentially, Nick Saban, I'm sure I'm forgetting some guys.

We missed out on Schiano. I would have loved Schiano. Dammit :(
Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Zimmer might be my first choice if we go defensive guy. If you want to get some more insight on him the Bengals are on Hard Knocks and he got a decent amount of air time last night.

Not sure about Schiano as HC yet. DC 100% absolutely but HC I'm still very interested in how the TB situation plays out. And this is coming from a big Schiano fan.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Deon Grant retiring and he said he wants to retire a Giant. He will so and a surprise move in my opinion. He truly did enjoy being a giant and a leader in the 3 safety look. So its great thathe will retire a Giant.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

He won a SB with us so I guess that makes sense. I was glad to have him around for those 2 years.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-07-2013, 11:10 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I'm a Deon fan. He was a great leader on our team. Would love him to come back as a coach in some capacity.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When a player retires for your team does anything happen? What's the thing that happens? You retire after a 1 day contract and then does that player get anything? Is it just an honor thing?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

It's an honor thing.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Zimmer has an ego and felt that he shouldn't have to showcase his ability to owners during interviews, that they should just hand him the job bc of his resume.

Yeah, that's TOTALLY how job interviews work...

It amazes me how stupid some people in football are. This is why I always say that every time we wonder why some coaches are complete idiots, just remember, that dumb jock you knew in high school, he's a football coach somewhere as we speak.

There aren't enough intelligent coaches out there because most of them were dumb jocks growing up.

Having that said, if Zimmer can check the ego at the door I wouldn't mind him as a potential HC of the future.

I like Miami's DC as well. Florida's HC, I'm a big fan of Stanford's HC I think he's going to be an excellent HC one day (yes I know he's an offensive guy but still), Ray Horton potentially, Nick Saban, I'm sure I'm forgetting some guys.

We missed out on Schiano. I would have loved Schiano. Dammit :(
Yeah Coyle and David Shaw are great coaches as well. Shaw will be a hell of a NFL HC when he leaves Stanford.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:55 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
Yeah Coyle and David Shaw are great coaches as well. Shaw will be a hell of a NFL HC when he leaves Stanford.
Even though he's an offensive guy, Shaw is probably my favorite coaching candidate right now. He's going to be a great coach.

If he brings his whole staff with him, I'm perfectly fine with that.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:05 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Patricia Traina ‏@Patricia_Traina 1m
TC said Brandon Mosley has looked impressive with the first team o-line.

Interesting.... I'd like to see more!