Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm watching the Eagles/Ravens. Can't judge much but two things.

Forgot about the new kickoff rule. While I hate it, I think it can only help us. Kickoff distance and returns were areas we are weaker than a lot of teams. I think every kickoff but one in this game has been a touchback by a lot. And then one taken out probably should have been kneeled.

Also Vince Young is trash.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I'm watching the Eagles/Ravens. Can't judge much but two things.

Forgot about the new kickoff rule. While I hate it, I think it can only help us. Kickoff distance and returns were areas we are weaker than a lot of teams. I think every kickoff but one in this game has been a touchback by a lot. And then one taken out probably should have been kneeled.

Also Vince Young is trash.
Probably one of the reasons they were fine letting Chase go.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The difference between the first and last place team in average starting position is just going to greatly reduce. Don't know the exact numbers but we were near the bottom in both our starting field position and our opponents. This will help us make up some of that hidden yardage.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
The difference between the first and last place team in average starting position is just going to greatly reduce. Don't know the exact numbers but we were near the bottom in both our starting field position and our opponents. This will help us make up some of that hidden yardage.
Yeah there are going to be some teams like the Raiders who probably won't have a kickoff returned on them all year. It's a dumb rule.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Yeah there are going to be some teams like the Raiders who probably won't have a kickoff returned on them all year. It's a dumb rule.
I like Sebastion J. The guy is a beast, I expect a lot of touch backs.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought the Eagles defense looked very impressive. That front is greatly improved, and Washburn is a genius on the dline.

I mentioned him and how he uses his fronts last year in a thread after we played them. I love how he uses spacing to attack pass protections. He takes something simple like a 4 man rush and he uses it in creative ways to attack the LOS. Pay attention to how the Eagles line up their front 4 this year, you'll be envious of it.

They whipped the Baltimore Oline up and down the field. That's not a mediocre oline either.

Casey Matthews looked solid at MIKE too. He definitely put on weight. They're gonna be a tough team to beat this year.

I still don't trust Vick or that oline though. But their defense will be much improved this year.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:44 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While I love Washburn, I do admit that players make plays and that his addition has probably been exaggerated.

But you do have to give him credit. He knows how to use his line to attack. And that makes them dangerous. And Babin looks legit too in that system.

Which is scary bc if Babin replicates his year last year, that's a scary dline.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I didn't get to watch but I'm not taking anything out of a preseason game. We'll see how they do when they line up Week 1. I still think their LB corps is worse off than ours and we'll see about the d-line. Washburn should help but they new D-coord who's never coached a defense ever is not going to be a plus right away.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-12-2011, 05:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

My appreciation for Washburn actually stems from last year, watching that Titan defense play the East for 4 games. I got a good chance to really put the eyeball on that scheme and I liked some aspects of it.

This is going to be a Jim Washburn defense, not a Juan Castillo defense. The Titan's defense last year, that's basically what the Eagles will run.

It's not going to be a Cover 2 defense. I guess perhaps calling it a man Cover 2 would be more appropriate.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
My appreciation for Washburn actually stems from last year, watching that Titan defense play the East for 4 games. I got a good chance to really put the eyeball on that scheme and I liked some aspects of it.

This is going to be a Jim Washburn defense, not a Juan Castillo defense. The Titan's defense last year, that's basically what the Eagles will run.

It's not going to be a Cover 2 defense. I guess perhaps calling it a man Cover 2 would be more appropriate.
Castillo will still be calling the plays and we have no idea what that's going to look like.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-12-2011, 05:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Castillo will still be calling the plays and we have no idea what that's going to look like.
It's going to be a simple defense. He really isn't going to throw the playbook at us, so we'll know what's coming for the most part.

Lot's of man coverage.

That's why beefing up that secondary was so key for them. They're hoping their talent is enough that you don't need smoke and mirrors on defense to succeed.

You'll see some decent blitzes too. Don't forget, Juan was an oline coach. The reason why Reid hired him was bc he felt that Juan can cook up some effective blitzes bc of his knowledge of pass protections.

Jim Johnson would regularly go to Juan Castillo and go over his blitzes with him to see if they would work. Juan isn't as inexperienced as people think. I'm not saying the guy is going to be Spagnuolo, but with the talent on that defense, and the system they'll be running, he really won't need to do much.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

And making the switch isn't as crazy as people think. Everyone forgets that Josh McDaniels started his career out as a defensive coach, working as the DB coach for the Patriots.

It's been done before. It's not as crazy as we think.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
And making the switch isn't as crazy as people think. Everyone forgets that Josh McDaniels started his career out as a defensive coach, working as the DB coach for the Patriots.

It's been done before. It's not as crazy as we think.
Yeah but he didn't make the jump from DB coach straight to O-Coord in 1 year.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-12-2011, 05:22 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

That is true too. I dunno, I just don't see how their defense won't be better this year than it was last year. The talent has been greatly improved and the scheme is improved too.

If Juan sucks at calling plays, I can see Dick Jauron taking over that. Reid won't let Juan Castillo cost him the season.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Look at the talent we have on D yet Sheridan totally screwed it up. Let's hope Castillo does something similar.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-12-2011, 05:26 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes! Let's hope Castillo mimics Sheridan! Or Tim Lewis! Or Jonnie Lynn! Come on!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That is true too. I dunno, I just don't see how their defense won't be better this year than it was last year. The talent has been greatly improved and the scheme is improved too.

If Juan sucks at calling plays, I can see Dick Jauron taking over that. Reid won't let Juan Castillo cost him the season.
Unfotunately Jauron is in Cleveland now but I'm not worried about Castillo. Like you said JJ regularly confided in him when he was our DC and I have all the faith in the world in him. Our secondary doesn't need much coaching as it is(other than the two young safeties) and Washburn will handle the d-line. I'm not too worried about our linebackers either as it isn't that important a position in our system and never has been.

The players love him too. He's always so fired up and enthusiastic. Yesterday when Jarrett had his pick Castillo was one of the first guys over congratulating him along with all the players.

Last edited by Todd Bertuzzi : 08-12-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Todd Bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi View Post
Unfotunately Jauron is in Cleveland now but I'm not worried about Castillo. Like you said JJ regularly confided in him when he was our DC and I have all the faith in the world in him. Our secondary doesn't need much coaching as it is(other than the two young safeties) and Washburn will handle the d-line. I'm not too worried about our linebackers either as it isn't that important a position in our system and never has been.
You guys are gonna be light vs the run. That should be your concern. You need your CBs to tackle, which will be a problem with Asante and DRC, and you'll regularly pack the box to make up for your lack of size in the front 7.

Also Washburn's attacking style is feast or famine in the run game. They'll either penetrate and blow up the run behind the LOS, or you're going to get gashed.

This defense emphasizes speed. It's all about speed. You guys gave up a lot of muscle for speed, so it's going to be great vs the pass, but you can be had on the ground.

The way the league is going, it's probably better overall. But in the East, it could be problematic. I think by having 3 CBs that can be trusted on an island though, you'll try to make up for that by packing the box with 8 and 9 guys.

It's going to be interesting. I'm looking forward to studying it.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:58 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

guys I know why we let Steve Smith walk...we're just gonna draft Sanu next year. Mario will walk.

Nicks-Sanu-Jernigan.

oh god, faptastic
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:44 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
guys I know why we let Steve Smith walk...we're just gonna draft Sanu next year. Mario will walk.

Nicks-Sanu-Jernigan.

oh god, faptastic
I will destroy your soul.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:02 AM    (permalink
JBCX
Veteran

JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You guys are gonna be light vs the run. That should be your concern. You need your CBs to tackle, which will be a problem with Asante and DRC, and you'll regularly pack the box to make up for your lack of size in the front 7.

Also Washburn's attacking style is feast or famine in the run game. They'll either penetrate and blow up the run behind the LOS, or you're going to get gashed.

This defense emphasizes speed. It's all about speed. You guys gave up a lot of muscle for speed, so it's going to be great vs the pass, but you can be had on the ground.

The way the league is going, it's probably better overall. But in the East, it could be problematic. I think by having 3 CBs that can be trusted on an island though, you'll try to make up for that by packing the box with 8 and 9 guys.

It's going to be interesting. I'm looking forward to studying it.
It'll be just like the Colts defenses of years past - as long as Vick puts points on the board, the opposing team is forced to ignore small gains in the running game and will begin to pass the ball, which plays into the hands of the aggressive pass rush.

Remember that Sunday Night game last year the Giants played vs. the Colts? If I remember correctly, Peyton threw a few touchdown passes and then the rest of the game, Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis went to work on Diehl and McKenzie, sacking Eli a few times and forcing a fumble or two. The Giants couldn't get any offense started because they were in a hole and didn't have time to allow the running game to develop, which forced Eli to sit back and pass and made him a sitting duck for the Indy edge rushers.

That's the way the Eagles-Giants games will look like this year if the Giants give up any early touchdowns.

Of course, if the Giants defense can come through early and keep Vick and the WRs bottled up, your plan to attack the aggressive front with run plays, draw plays and screens will be more effective.

Last edited by JBCX : 08-13-2011 at 09:06 AM.
JBCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:10 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I would love Sanu on the Giants and be very open to the idea now that we lost Smith.

He reminds me of Nicks a lot.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:15 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
It'll be just like the Colts defenses of years past - as long as Vick puts points on the board, the opposing team is forced to ignore small gains in the running game and will begin to pass the ball, which plays into the hands of the aggressive pass rush.

Remember that Sunday Night game last year the Giants played vs. the Colts? If I remember correctly, Peyton threw a few touchdown passes and then the rest of the game, Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis went to work on Diehl and McKenzie, sacking Eli a few times and forcing a fumble or two. The Giants couldn't get any offense started because they were in a hole and didn't have time to allow the running game to develop, which forced Eli to sit back and pass and made him a sitting duck for the Indy edge rushers.

That's the way the Eagles-Giants games will look like this year if the Giants give up any early touchdowns.

Of course, if the Giants defense can come through early and keep Vick and the WRs bottled up, your plan to attack the aggressive front with run plays, draw plays and screens will be more effective.
I think your defense is much better than the Colts. Yeah it's built light and built on speed so in that sense they're the same, but your secondary is so much better. You can pack the box more frequently bc of your CBs.

I think Casey Matthews is going to be an integral key to this defense. If he winds up being a very good MIKE, your defense is set. If he's average, then you have a serious problem at LB.

Your dline and secondary will be dominant, just like ours, but just like our defense, you lack credibility in that LB core, just like ours.

Our teams really are mirror images of one another. You guys just have more star power. Should be an exciting season if we both can stay healthy.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:16 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I would love Sanu on the Giants and be very open to the idea now that we lost Smith.

He reminds me of Nicks a lot.
How are you feeling now? Calmed down a bit? : P
Old 08-13-2011, 10:20 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I will destroy your soul.
SANUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

you can't tell me that's not a sexy young WR core
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote