Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 11-29-2013, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
No the Giants will have a lot more cap room than that.

btw Cruz's cap number this year is $2,500,000

Franchising Nicks is about buying time. It lets us work on a deal or a trade. If we really wanted to we can remove it later.
The Giants have what looks like it'll be between 14 and 16 milion in cap space (give or take) before cutting Myers depending on what the 2014 salary cap actually is. Franchising Nicks ties up 10. As far as franchising Nicks and then removing the tag, well that would be as far as I know rather unprecedented. I suppose it can be done, but it never has been. Plenty of players have held out after being franchised without some sort of guarantee that they cannot be franchised again.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
After we cut Diehl,
Diehl is an upcoming free agent.

Quote:
Snee
Snee may retire, but I have a hard time envisioning Coughlin cutting his pro bowl guard son in law.

Quote:
Rolle
Seven and a quarter million.

Quote:
Webster
One million.

Quote:
let Tuck walk
Tuck is an upcoming free agent too.

Quote:
cut Baas
Saves a little under 1.8 million.

Quote:
I'd imagine we'll have a lot more than 16 million no?
As I said earlier, I have a difficult time envisioning the Giants cutting four time pro bowl guard and son in law of the coach Chris Snee.

Other than that, nobody you listed gives any kind of sizable increase to the Giants cap other than Antrel Rolle.

Last edited by Crickett : 02-10-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:17 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But we need rolle. He'll be restructured hopefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:28 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Diehl is an upcoming free agent.

Snee may retire, but I have a hard time envisioning Coughlin cutting his pro bowl guard son in law.

Seven and a quarter million.

One million.

Tuck is an upcoming free agent too.

Saves a little under 1.8 million.

As I said earlier, I have a difficult time envisioning the Giants cutting four time pro bowl guard and son in law of the coach Chris Snee.

Other than that, nobody you listed gives any kind of sizable increase to the Giants cap other than Antrelle Rolle.
Cutting those players will save the requisite amount that the Giants need, and they won't hesitate to restructure Snee reducing his base salary.

The Giants have plenty of options on how they can manage their cap:

In terms of releases or restructures:
Baas: 1,775,000 savings (6,450,000 dead money)
Kiwi: 1,800,000 (5,250,000)
Myers: 3,250,000 (1,125,000)
Rolle: 7,250,000 (2,000,000)
Snee: 7,250,000 (4,500,000)

They can also cut any of them after June 1st which allows them to split that cap hit over 2 years. You have to remember that the NFL contracts don't necessarily have to be paid evenly every single year. For simplicity sake lets say the Giants want to pay Jon Beason $12 million over 2 years. Nothing is stopping them from paying $3 million year one and $9 million year 2. Hell look at Santonio's contract with the Jets. He signed a 5-$50 million contract that had a $1.5 million cap number year one. If the Giants know that they'll have more money in 2015 by cutting those players today they'll adjust their contracts and cap hits accordingly. Every team does this.

They also have Eli with a very large base salary number. They can convert some of that into a bonus and make that hit the salary cap over the next 2 years instead of one, or if they feel comfortable extending him they can realistically cut his cap number by $10+ million next season.

The Giants have dozens of options on how to move around their cap, it's not going to inhibit them in the slightest next year.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we will approach Snee, Diehl, Rolle, Webster and Tuck to come back at affordable contracts.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:43 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think we will approach Snee, Diehl, Rolle, Webster and Tuck to come back at affordable contracts.
Snee, David D, Webster and Tuck -- HELLZ NO!

Rolle - For a pay cut.

These are the tough decisions Reese must make. Stop hanging out injury prone veterans.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:44 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Snee, David D, Webster and Tuck -- HELLZ NO!

Rolle - For a pay cut.

These are the tough decisions Reese must make. Stop hanging out injury prone veterans.
I never said as starters. But they have all been quality guys here and deserve a shot to compete next year and EARN a roster spot.

If Snee is healthy (a big if) for a similar cut to what Diehl took. Plus he is an option at center to replace Baas.

Diehl has been solid for vet minimum he gives depth to compete in camp

Webster can be solid cheap depth.

Tuck has been ok, for a cheapish contract he provides depth while we replace Kiwi.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I never said as starters. But they have all been quality guys here and deserve a shot to compete next year and EARN a roster spot.

If Snee is healthy (a big if) for a similar cut to what Diehl took. Plus he is an option at center to replace Baas.

Diehl has been solid for vet minimum he gives depth to compete in camp

Webster can be solid cheap depth.

Tuck has been ok, for a cheapish contract he provides depth while we replace Kiwi.

I wouldn't take them back at all. Bring in younger, healthier guys. Say thanks for your services and move on. We don't need anyone of them. Time to cut ties.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I wouldn't take them back at all. Bring in younger, healthier guys. Say thanks for your services and move on. We don't need anyone of them. Time to cut ties.
I completely understand where you are coming from

It does depend on options to replace them to some extent.

For example with we part ways with Kiwi and Tuck we have just JPP (who has had injury problems and is in a contract year) and the unproven Moore.
We need to find at least two DEs.

Going younger and healthier is going to be expensive, you are probably looking at guys like Hardy and Johnson.

In the draft we are likely looking at picking in the 5-10 range so could easily miss out on the top tier and the drop off in value is substantial.

If we can bring back Tuck for around the money we gave to Jenkins, we have a solid vet and have options as to how we build the team
Old 12-01-2013, 10:32 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I completely understand where you are coming from

It does depend on options to replace them to some extent.

For example with we part ways with Kiwi and Tuck we have just JPP (who has had injury problems and is in a contract year) and the unproven Moore.
We need to find at least two DEs.

Going younger and healthier is going to be expensive, you are probably looking at guys like Hardy and Johnson.

In the draft we are likely looking at picking in the 5-10 range so could easily miss out on the top tier and the drop off in value is substantial.

If we can bring back Tuck for around the money we gave to Jenkins, we have a solid vet and have options as to how we build the team
We can draft 2 DEs later, sign 2 DEs or have undrafted FA DEs try to make it. Tuck at this point is useless. Reese, in my opinion, HAS to be shrewd this off season. Make tough decisions where you tell Giants who have been here, thanks but we NEED to move on. Tuck has 3.5 sacks. I don't want someone with god awful production on this team.

We have to make really, really tough decisions this off season. I will snap if we keep older players just because they were good giants in the past. Don't keep players 1 or 2 years too long.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:35 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have the worst pass rush in the league this year. We went from having the best pass rush to the worst. DE needs to be a high priority.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:41 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of Tuck's sacks were coverage/indecisiveness on RGIII, however I was still impressed with Tuck's closing speed. He looks healthier than he has in a long long time.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah. I'm not falling for the trap though. We need to move on from Tuck.

I wish Moore got more meaningful snaps. This coaching staff just refuses to play rookies.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah. I'm not falling for the trap though. We need to move on from Tuck.

I wish Moore got more meaningful snaps. This coaching staff just refuses to play rookies.
I singled him out on two plays I saw he was in before the snap. He got nowhere on both of them. But he needs to play more, you're correct.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I singled him out on two plays I saw he was in before the snap. He got nowhere on both of them. But he needs to play more, you're correct.
Yeah it's hard to judge him on such limited reps. He needs a good 25 snaps a game to do a proper evaluation.

I think regardless of whether he shows promise or not, a pass rusher is high priority for us. JPP's long term health is a concern, Tuck is most likely gone, Kiwi is mediocre as hell. I like having 3 pass rushers in a rotation. So even if Moore does pan out we need another one anyway.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:53 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Also, Brian Orakpo was eating Beatty's lunch all game. Beatty has been awful at LT this year.

Beatty has been an awful LT his entire career outside of his contract year. I think we made a mistake there. We need to move him to RT, he's not a LT.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:35 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Our OL is soft. They aren't built for a power running game. This OL is totally built on Finesse. Beatty and even Pugh look soft for OL. They don't have a build like Luke P or even Kareem M. That big strong stout OL. Everything for our guys is based on technique and athletic ability. If Beatty gets beat by speed and power, all that goes out the window and he becomes below average.

We used to have OL like that when I coached. 6'6 330, but soft. Hard to articulate it other than when you see players like that they are big but not built. They are almost like a big soft fat person.

We need to fix this OL ASAP.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Our OL is soft. They aren't built for a power running game. This OL is totally built on Finesse. Beatty and even Pugh look soft for OL. They don't have a build like Luke P or even Kareem M. That big strong stout OL. Everything for our guys is based on technique and athletic ability. If Beatty gets beat by speed and power, all that goes out the window and he becomes below average.

We used to have OL like that when I coached. 6'6 330, but soft. Hard to articulate it other than when you see players like that they are big but not built. They are almost like a big soft fat person.

We need to fix this OL ASAP.
You have to give Pugh a full offseason with the Giants strength program before we get on him.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:45 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
You have to give Pugh a full offseason with the Giants strength program before we get on him.
Yeah I figured he would need time. That's what we said about freshman we would have on your team. Weight training program would help turn that soft body into that of a solid OL prospect.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:50 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Pugh has been awesome. I have no complaints with Pugh. I just feel he's better suited for G bc his short arms, he lets guys get in his chest too often to be a reliable OT in my eyes.

I hate Beatty. He's from UConn. We should've seen this coming.

Everyone else basically sucks or is mediocre/old. With Clowney all but gone, and with no other pass rusher (We won't get Barr either) really looking like he's worth our pick in our range, I think we have to go OL again in round 1.

At least as of right now.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:59 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moore is gonna be so awesome. He's like a puppy out there. Just so much energy and fun. He's gonna be my new favorite giant, if he's not there already
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:04 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Beason had an awful game vs Dallas but he was so good vs Washington.

I wish that Beason played Dallas last week.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:33 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Beason had an awful game vs Dallas but he was so good vs Washington.

I wish that Beason played Dallas last week.
I wish Tuck and the DL played like this against Dallas on the last drive. All this stuff beating a team worst than us.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Pugh has been awesome. I have no complaints with Pugh. I just feel he's better suited for G bc his short arms, he lets guys get in his chest too often to be a reliable OT in my eyes.

I hate Beatty. He's from UConn. We should've seen this coming.

Everyone else basically sucks or is mediocre/old. With Clowney all but gone, and with no other pass rusher (We won't get Barr either) really looking like he's worth our pick in our range, I think we have to go OL again in round 1.

At least as of right now.
Gotta admit Pugh wasn't one of my favorite OL prospects and his Senior Bowl weigh-in made me laugh. I thought he would be too soft and finesse to be a high caliber NFL OL.

But he's working out where he's at, so I think you gotta keep Pugh at Tackle, even with the short arms. If he's awesome now, then you take it. I think that if you put him on the inside then he would get mauled by bigger, stronger guys that would put him on his ass. Let him work his technique on the outside. That's what he's known for.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I wonder whether Pugh could be a long term solution at center.

I really like him as a long term LG option.

It really depends on who we can bring in, lets get the five best linemen on the field and go from there.