Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 12-11-2013, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
but i think with QB needy teams, Lewan and Matthews, Barr and Clowney, we could get someone pretty good.
Oh, I wouldn't dispute that. But I meant the really top prospects like Clowney or Matthews both the first time I said that a while back and just now.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:16 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be down for a stud corner. As long as we get two starting OL, a starting de and a DB out FA and the first two days, I'll be pretty pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How many of these bad contracts I wonder, we can shed ourselves of, this offseason?
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Snee, Baas, Rolle all off the books I'd say so. There will be some dead money there but overall it'll be big savings. Shame since Rolle has probably been our best defensive player all year.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Snee, Baas, Rolle all off the books I'd say so. There will be some dead money there but overall it'll be big savings. Shame since Rolle has probably been our best defensive player all year.

I want to ask you guys about Rolle. I think Beason has been the Giants best defensive player this year, but if you think it's Rolle, why would you want the Giants to let him go? Even for the seven and a half million dollars they'll save, you'd be losing at the very least one of your best defensive players.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I want to ask you guys about Rolle. I think Beason has been the Giants best defensive player this year, but if you think it's Rolle, why would you want the Giants to let him go? Even for the seven and a half million dollars they'll save, you'd be losing at the very least one of your best defensive players.
It's such a large cap hit. Even though he's been great this year it's still hard to pay him that much. I'd extend him but apparently Rolle hates when a team messes with his contract. He probably wouldn't agree to any type of change.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-13-2013, 07:41 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
We also have 26 FA from our roster. I wonder how many are re-signed. We could have A LOT of roster turnover this season.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:50 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

It might be a 50% turnover.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rolle has been good but he's not so good to warrant that salary. If I'm paying 8 million for a safety I rather let go of Rolle and bring Jarius Byrd in here.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Rolle has been amazing this year but yea as I said that's too much cap space for a S.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-13-2013, 09:17 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's been great, but his problem is and always will be how he plays the single high. He's just not good at it.

If you want Rolle playing nickel CB, playing underneath zones, being the box safety, blitzer, run support etc, he's amazing. He's a great SS. He can cover TEs in man too.

But I want my FS to be a ballhawk. I want to put him in single high and say ok, you can't go deep on us. Rolle isn't that guy.

And with Will Hill looking very good in the SS role, I just feel like a guy like Byrd would compliment him so much better.

Don't underestimate Rolle's contributions as a vocal guy in the lockerroom though. That's hard to replace.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:35 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Rolle is that ball hawking type but the system and what we ask doesn't allow him to. Moving him around playing Nickel because our Cbs are made of tissue paper. I think ideally he would excel for us in that given role. In fact, he and the other guy who is on IR would be good. Problem is Fewell moves him all over the place due to injuries and scheme. KP was supposed to be that type too. Hard hitting versatile safety who can play in the box and get Ints. He was doing that in training camp and Dallas game before getting hurt.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rolle has never in his life been that ball hawking centerfielder type. Rolle was always good in the box and good in man coverage, but never in his life has he excelled sitting in deep zones trying to break on the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:51 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
Rolle has never in his life been that ball hawking centerfielder type. Rolle was always good in the box and good in man coverage, but never in his life has he excelled sitting in deep zones trying to break on the ball.
He has been doing that since his days with the Cards. He was a guy who was supposed to make plays and get Ints. I believe when we signed him he stated all that in those dopey Giants.com transcripts and what not.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
He has been doing that since his days with the Cards. He was a guy who was supposed to make plays and get Ints. I believe when we signed him he stated all that in those dopey Giants.com transcripts and what not.
Yeah, and he was awful at it. Look at his coverage grades, he struggles in Cover 2 and Cover 1 when in the post. Just bc he lined up there didn't mean he was good at it. There's a reason why the Cards let him walk.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:49 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

And because we overpaid and made him the highest paid safety at the time. On another note, this week is important for draft positioning. A lot of the top 10 are playing each other. So that's important to watch.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The issue with Rolle comes back to poor cap management, mind you most of our cap woes were built under the old CBA

Rolle has a cap number of $9,250,000

This includes a base salary of $7,000,000 plus a $250,000 workout bonus

the projected 2014 franchise tage for a safety is $6,916,000

I imagine a free agent like Jairus Byrd would sign a similar deal to William Moore's deal earlier this year (Signed a five-year, $29.512 million contract) which had a first year cap value of $3,900,000.

There are options with Rolle.

Firstly we could ask him to take a pay cut (like we did with Webster and Diehl) or we could give him a contract extenstion.

Lets say we give Rolle a two year extension, converting $6,000,000 of his base salary into a singing bonus. This would free up $4,000,000 against the 2014 salary cap.

Part of our problem comes back to poor cap management with a lot of money invested in aging veterans. We need to resolve this.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:06 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

loooooooooooooool we're bad.

Let nicks walk. Get new coordinators. Use the Nicks money on Linval. Draft OL and WR and DB. Party.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was thinking about our coaching.

Firstly let me say that we have by an large a good staff. But I think we have become too predictable and perhaps the messages to the players has become stale.

We need a coaching shake up, but we should also build on the success we have had. This is what I would ideally like to see happen..

Tom Coughlin should stay, he deserves a shot to turn it around.

1. Fire Sean Ryan and move Kevin Gilbride to QB coach.
Our play calling has not been good enough, but Gilbride and Coughlin have build some of the most explosive offenses in franchise history. Eli and Gilbride know each other well and Gilbride should be able to get Eli back on track as well as develop Nassib.

2. Fire Pat Flahrety and hire Mike Munchak (Titans) as OL Coach
Our offensive line is a shambles and you can certainlu make the case that we didn't have the talent. But I also think we need to move to a zone blocking scheme which is a better fit for our playing staff and is used by most the better ground games (Seattle, Washington, Philadelphia, Houston, Kansas City etc). Munchak is a proven coach with disciplined, physical offensive line. That is exactly what we need.

3. Hire Gary Kubiak (Texans) as OC.
Kubiak is a proven playcaller with a lot of experience with explosive offenses. He also uses a quality ground game which fits Coughlin's style. I am not suggesting to install Houston's offense here, but there are elements that can be mergd with our existing offense.

4. Fire Perry Fewell and hire Lezlie Frazier (Vikings) as DC.
A case may be able to be made that Fewell has done a decent job in the last few weeks. But it is not good enough and our front has steadily declined over his tenure. If there is an opportunity to upgrade we should take it. Frazier is a defensive guru and his tough defenses in Minnesota also have roots in the Tampa 2. I think Frazier will have limited opportunity as a HC but turning around our D will give him HC opportunities in the future.

5. Fire Pete Giunta and hire Alan Williams (Vikings) as DB coach.
Williams has been with Frazier for some time and is a quality DB coach. Our corners have been solid but nothing special. Note I would consider retaining Merritt as assistant DB coach.

6. Fire Jim Hermann and hire Fred Pagac (Vikings) and Mike Singletary (Vikings).
Hermann can probably argue he has had limited talent, but in the end the results are average at best. The opportunity to bring in these two with a history of developing quality LBs should not be missed.

7. Fire Tom Quinn and hire Mike Priefer (Vikings)
Our special teams has been far to erratic. Priefer has plenty of experience with the Vikings, Broncos and Chiefs. Priefer’s special teams units are known for creating big-play opportunities. I would retain Larry Izzo as assistant ST

Notes:
I am assuming Frazier and Munchak are fired, both of which I expect to happen.

I know I have a few former Head Coaches in there, but I think there will be limitied opportunities, plus they can audition to be Coughlin's successor.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 12-15-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

We need a whole new OL. Literally a whole new one. Keep Pugh, Move Beatty to RT and just get rid of everyone else.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:35 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

So get a new OL and move 2 people out of position ? Our OL is so bad though. Is it 2003 Fasshole era again?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
So get a new OL and move 2 people out of position ?

The only reason anyone wants to move Beatty to another position is because his contract precludes the possibility of cutting him until realistically 2016. And 1st round draft picks have either fully or almost fully guaranteed contracts. Beatty is a finesse player who probably won't fit well at right tackle, but what else are you going to do? Stick his 37 million dollar *** on the bench?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Stick him at guard if he has good feet. This on Reese. He can't go on the bench. I'd rather see him at LG or stay at LT as much as it hurts. But he should NEVER got that awful contract
Old 12-15-2013, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
We need a whole new OL. Literally a whole new one. Keep Pugh, Move Beatty to RT and just get rid of everyone else.
I am thinking we need 2-3 starters on the online :)
Old 12-15-2013, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I do think our Oline is better suited to a zone blocking scheme.

Make no mistakes there is enough blame to go around.

The real issue is how to fix it, and I think we can. :)