Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 12-23-2013, 09:03 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How many did he get yesterday?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:05 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Why the hell isn't Big Hank getting more snaps?
Honestly, I gave up with why so and so isn't playing. This team is so odd with the way they play people.

I think JJ may be better in a new system. He does show some good things which if you asked me a while back, I would have said only good thing about JJ is he keeps the bench warm.

Myers still needs to go. Tuck too. Beating up on garbage teams isn't a sure re-sign in my opinion. Another OL got hurt. LOL. Man oh man.

One game I thought we'd lose and these fools win and bugger our draft position.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tuck was really good again yesterday. Whatever it is he's been playing awesome lately and I'd love to have him back for depth next year depending on how much $$$ he's looking for.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-23-2013, 09:11 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My position on Jernigan is I need to see more. Keep in mind, the Lions secondary is awful. And they have no tape on Jernigan. He did well, which is a good sign, but we should exercise caution when evaluating him. I've seen too many awful plays from him to be beating his drum just yet.

Having that said, I felt some of his issues in the past was confidence. And look, he gets some snaps and he builds his confidence. What a shocker!

I still see more Sinorice Moss than Steve Smith in him but hopefully he proves me wrong.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:12 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My position on Jernigan is I need to see more. Keep in mind, the Lions secondary is awful. And they have no tape on Jernigan. He did well, which is a good sign, but we should exercise caution when evaluating him. I've seen too many awful plays from him to be beating his drum just yet.

Having that said, I felt some of his issues in the past was confidence. And look, he gets some snaps and he builds his confidence. What a shocker!

I still see more Sinorice Moss than Steve Smith in him but hopefully he proves me wrong.
They have 3 years of tape on him. Plus they have his college scouting and pro personnel does a scouting report on him. It comes down to he actually stepped up. He very well could have dropped balls and ran wrong routes, lol. So that's why I changed his status from "Useless" to "Need to see more".

So color me impressed which I thought I'd never say in reference to him. Now I want to see more. Moss never had games like this. So he is above moss. Now we need to keep playing him.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:16 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At least I feel a little more comfortable now that we have a solid backup slot WR.

To me that's really all he is. Cruz is too good to take out of the slot. If Cruz is healthy, he's going in the slot in 3 WR sets. So Jernigan really is solid depth at slot WR if he pans out in my eyes.

We still need a big body outside WR to replace Nicks. And for the love of God, we need a TE.

Myers run blocking is just so brutal. It's painful to watch.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:41 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
At least I feel a little more comfortable now that we have a solid backup slot WR.

To me that's really all he is. Cruz is too good to take out of the slot. If Cruz is healthy, he's going in the slot in 3 WR sets. So Jernigan really is solid depth at slot WR if he pans out in my eyes.

We still need a big body outside WR to replace Nicks. And for the love of God, we need a TE.

Myers run blocking is just so brutal. It's painful to watch.

Well once we get our OL decent, then run 4 wide. You have both in the slot then. Shotgun-Double slot. I feel like our staff doesn't use our players properly. From throwing to the RB onwards.

No we need a burner to replace Nicks. I am sick and tired of the slow WR with good hands and body position. Give me a home run hitter. Our offense lacks speed. Except Cruz who can hit a home run anywhere on the field, from the 1 yard line to anywhere, who else do you fear? Brown? Nope..

Nicks? Nope. RR? na uh. JJ? No.. Who? Myers? No.. Who is that burner that teams fear? No one. Our offense is a collection of slow players who are supposedly going to beat you with choice and option routes. So in theory our competitive adv. is the mental game. Well you know how I feel about that.

We need speed. Someone who teams fear because of it. Just look at the defense. Speed and instinct is what makes Beason good. He looks like he is playing at a different level than the other Lbs. On ISO or LEADS he comes flying in there at a speed, the other LB wish they had.

Who does that on offense? Murphy was supposed be that from the pre season. But 5 targets, 3 turnovers, 2 Ints, and 1 fumble. LOL.

I want OL or Sammy Watkins. Or a fast TE. But that's lower on the list. I'd take a CB and a LB too.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, that was a good game to watch. It's unfortunate that it makes us pick a little higher but honestly I don't mind picking up a little momentum at the end of the year. It's always good to go off on a high note. Build some momentum going into next year. We could certainly rebound next year. The NFC East does not impress me in the slightest (our self included).

I think we just need to focus on the defense (and OL) as much as possible. Look at the NFC East. All offense heavy teams with little to no defense. We can take a big step by passing them defensively. Granted, our defense blows too, but hopefully we can address it in the draft and free agency.

I want a stud defense. Hopefully that will start by letting Fewell go. I just don't see how ANYONE could justify keeping him. Sure, turnovers are cool, but the numbers speak for themselves. Outside of ONE good run in the playoffs he has been worthless.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I have a bad feeling both coordinators will be back.

I did a quick youtube search for Lewan, and if he's the 2nd best OT available...yuck. For now at least. That's not a fair way to evaluate him.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:55 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I don't see one reason in how they can justify a Fewell extension. Quinn will get fired. Gilbride who knows.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-23-2013, 12:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I just have a bad feeling about it. The players seem to like Fewell and the Giants didn't have a terrible season defensively. We're currently 12th in the league in yardage.

I don't want him back, but at this point it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's back.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:11 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I just have a bad feeling about it. The players seem to like Fewell and the Giants didn't have a terrible season defensively. We're currently 12th in the league in yardage.

I don't want him back, but at this point it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's back.
Status quo! Status quo! My dream would be hire Rex Ryan when he gets fired and Jason Garrett as an OC. I think paired with TC this team would be great. Again, just a dream. Status quo! Status quo!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Garrett? I mean..if you like never running the ball again, even when up, then I suppose he's a good fit..?
Old 12-23-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Garrett? I mean..if you like never running the ball again, even when up, then I suppose he's a good fit..?
He was fine as a OC. Plus he would have Coughlin in his ear. It's not like Coughlin can't stay let's run our 4 minute offense and end the game. Problem was he had Tubby as a HC, and let's forget working under Jones is a trainwreck in it's own right.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I mentioned this the other day but even if we do get a new OC the offense will be the same. This is a Coughlin offense more so than a Gilbride offense.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-23-2013, 12:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I mentioned this the other day but even if we do get a new OC the offense will be the same. This is a Coughlin offense more so than a Gilbride offense.
Yup yup.

Which is why I think at best we can hope for a Chan Gailey type of OC. A guy who runs the same choice route concepts but in a different variation.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
He was fine as a OC. Plus he would have Coughlin in his ear. It's not like Coughlin can't stay let's run our 4 minute offense and end the game. Problem was he had Tubby as a HC, and let's forget working under Jones is a trainwreck in it's own right.
The guy LOVES passing the ball. I'm pretty sure he would be every down if he was allowed to. Guys like Jerry and Wade were more than likely telling him to run the ball.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
See I am not sure about that. I think it's a mix or Gilbride. No one especially someone as old as Gilbride would come in and run someone elses system. You, as a coach, would never get props. If everything works out, no big deal, it's not your system. If it fails, you as the OC get the blame. Cough::Cough:: Hufangel.

So in the end you're screwed. I would never take a job at any level of coaching where I could not run my system. Plus usually it's a compromise where the OC puts a lot of concepts into the system. You have to because again, why would I run someones system, when I have my own and was successful in it? Eli on the WFAN with Mike F. called it Gilbride's system.

Honestly, at this point I could careless I want it gone. If that means TC eventually getting the boot, I am fine with it.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
See I am not sure about that. I think it's a mix or Gilbride. No one especially someone as old as Gilbride would come in and run someone elses system. You, as a coach, would never get props. If everything works out, no big deal, it's not your system. If it fails, you as the OC get the blame. Cough::Cough:: Hufangel.

So in the end you're screwed. I would never take a job at any level of coaching where I could not run my system. Plus usually it's a compromise where the OC puts a lot of concepts into the system. You have to because again, why would I run someones system, when I have my own and was successful in it? Eli on the WFAN with Mike F. called it Gilbride's system.

Honestly, at this point I could careless I want it gone. If that means TC eventually getting the boot, I am fine with it.
I'm pretty sure in the past Gilbride has said it's Coughlin's playbook. I'll try to find that quote somewhere.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-23-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Assistant coaches under Tom Coughlin who became NFL head coaches:

Dom Capers
Kevin Gilbride
Dick Jauron
Lane Kiffin
Bobby Petrino
Tony Sparano
Steve Spagnuolo

Assistant coaches under Tom Coughlin who became NCAA head coaches:
Bobby Petrino
Randy Edsall
Lane Kiffin
Dirk Koetter
Matt Rhule
Paul Haynes
Old 12-23-2013, 12:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Assistant coaches under Tom Coughlin who became NFL head coaches:

Dom Capers
Kevin Gilbride
Dick Jauron
Lane Kiffin
Bobby Petrino
Tony Sparano
Steve Spagnuolo

Assistant coaches under Tom Coughlin who became NCAA head coaches:
Bobby Petrino
Randy Edsall
Lane Kiffin
Dirk Koetter
Matt Rhule
Paul Haynes
Yes, I'm quoting myself bc I'm bracing for the page trap.

Anyway, one thing we know about Coughlin is, he has a tendency replacing coaches with coaches he's worked with in the past. Fewell, Gilbride, our DL coach, just to name a few.

Here's a list of old assistants that went on to become coaches elsewhere.

So brace for Dick Jauron and Tony Sparano in 2014!!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:25 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm pretty sure in the past Gilbride has said it's Coughlin's playbook. I'll try to find that quote somewhere.
Then Eli must have no clue. The sight adjustments are Gilbrides system. And like any system it evolves so it changes from the late 80s, early 90s to now.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:42 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yup yup.

Which is why I think at best we can hope for a Chan Gailey type of OC. A guy who runs the same choice route concepts but in a different variation.
I'd be so down for some Chan Gailey joining this team. He'd turn Wilson and Brown into our version of Spiller and Freddie as soon as we fixed up the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:51 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
I'd be so down for some Chan Gailey joining this team. He'd turn Wilson and Brown into our version of Spiller and Freddie as soon as we fixed up the OL.
I think Chan has been able to incorporate the run n shoot concepts with modern NFL rules better than any other run n shoot disciple.

It's simple really. Spread out the defense as much as possible, which creates more space for your choices to operate in.

Gilbride uses archaic formations with run n shoot route trees. I think it's just gotten stale. We need a new voice calling plays and some new formations to operate out of. Use some pistol, run some up tempo, run a combination of choice route/combo packages, limit the number of players running choices, etc.

We're just stale right now. And it won't change until a new voice is calling the plays.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How many did he get yesterday?
21 plays on defense.
Jughead10 is online now   Reply With Quote