Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-01-2014, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
My ideal dream team:

HC: Coughlin
OC: Norv Turner
DC: Greg Williams

Don't forget, if Tennessee fires their coach, Greg Williams is available. Greg is a stud DC, has always been a stud DC, he is an aggressive 4-3 guy who plays a ton of man coverage, we don't have to worry about him becoming a HC any time soon, and Coughlin tried to get Williams before he hired Tim Lewis.

Greg Williams would be perfect for this team and I'd do cart wheels if we hired him as our DC.
I forgot we tried to hire Williams back in 2004.

He was one of two guy that I really wanted us to get, the other being Dick LeBeau.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-01-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have been thinking about it and I really like the idea of Charlie Weis as OC if he is available.

Weis and Coughlin have worked together in the past.

My ideal coaching staff changes are:

Charlie Weis - Offensive Coordinator

Kevin Gilbride - Quarterbacks Coach

Gregg Williams - Defensive Coordinator

Mike Priefer - Special Teams Coordinator

Shannon Turley - Strength and Conditioning
Old 01-01-2014, 10:53 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
As a head coach? That would be god awful. You're letting your Rutgers bias get in your way. He was an atrocious NFL head coach.
Atrocious? How?

He had a 3rd round rookie QB exceed expectations and while losing his best offensive player he lost 4 games by 3 pts or less and a few more by a TD or less. Played in a division with two playoff teams.. Not too mention having a locker room torn apart by MRSA. He went 4-12, we went a lucky 7-9... Just 3 wins better in a ****** division, with a "Franchise QB", one of the best WR tandems, and some of the best pass rushers.

Schaino got a raw deal with the Bucs. In a few years he'll get another opportunity and pull a Belichick. Hopefully its with us.

If he would come as DC and be our heir apparent to Coughlin I'd go crazy but thats just dreaming.
Mike Maycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:56 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Realistic staff:

Coughlin
Sullivan
Spags

I don't think Coughlin will fire Gilbride though. I just can't see him doing that but we'll see.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:27 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maycock View Post
Atrocious? How?

He had a 3rd round rookie QB exceed expectations and while losing his best offensive player he lost 4 games by 3 pts or less and a few more by a TD or less. Played in a division with two playoff teams.. Not too mention having a locker room torn apart by MRSA. He went 4-12, we went a lucky 7-9... Just 3 wins better in a ****** division, with a "Franchise QB", one of the best WR tandems, and some of the best pass rushers.

Schaino got a raw deal with the Bucs. In a few years he'll get another opportunity and pull a Belichick. Hopefully its with us.

If he would come as DC and be our heir apparent to Coughlin I'd go crazy but thats just dreaming.
And? His players, by all accounts, did not like playing for him.

And oh cool, you are speculating he'll be the next Bill Belichick. A HOF coach with multiple SB wins and many SB appearances. Based on what? Him being a solid defensive coordinator? Hooray for your completely absurd and unsubstantiated speculation!

Also, three wins in the NFL is a HUGE difference.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:20 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
I have been thinking about it and I really like the idea of Charlie Weis as OC if he is available.

Well we'd have to work a lot on our screen game if that happened.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:22 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
And? His players, by all accounts, did not like playing for him.

And oh cool, you are speculating he'll be the next Bill Belichick. A HOF coach with multiple SB wins and many SB appearances. Based on what? Him being a solid defensive coordinator? Hooray for your completely absurd and unsubstantiated speculation!

Also, three wins in the NFL is a HUGE difference.
This is absolutely false. That was media driven garbage.

After he was let go, many players in the lockerroom said they were shocked and disappointed. They all played hard for Schiano, and he had a lot of support in the lockerroom.

McCoy said himself that he loved playing for Schiano and that he learned more under Schiano then he did in his entire career in football.

Schiano was a very good coach who got screwed. Part of me thinks they fired him bc they thought he was leaving for Penn State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Schiano please :). I really think he'd be a god fit for us besides my Rutgers love.
I'm a huge Schiano guy, but this isn't happening. First and foremost, Coughlin doesn't like him. And secondly, he's probably going to be the next Penn State HC and he knows he can go back to college as a HC any time, he won't take a demotion and become an NFL DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post

My ideal coaching staff changes are:

Charlie Weis - Offensive Coordinator

Kevin Gilbride - Quarterbacks Coach

Gregg Williams - Defensive Coordinator

Mike Priefer - Special Teams Coordinator

Shannon Turley - Strength and Conditioning
I'm open to the idea of Weis as OC as well. Weis is a great OC, look at what he did with Matt Cassell in KC.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:26 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really thought Schiano would have stayed. However the problem was obviously bigger than him. They fired the GM as well so they did the right thing letting the coach go with him.

Last edited by Jughead10 : 01-02-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:42 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope Gilbride retires and Fewell accepts a HC job somewhere. Please Lord let that happen.

And Sullivan goes and coaches some D1 college program as their HC.

Then we'll be cooking for sure.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:37 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TC, Chud/Turner, Horton
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gilbride retiring!!!!

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Any news on any other changes?!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Redskins interviewed Caldwell and Fewell

Hire them both!
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

For The Love Of God Hire Them Both!

And Take Sullivan With You Fewell!
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

I hope his son is gone too.
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Any news on any other changes?!
Nope not yet. That's the first shoe to drop.

Thanks for all the playoff and SB memories Gilbride!!!!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-02-2014, 03:06 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, can't believe he's retiring. Guess that means Coughlin stays, which I'm happy about.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I'm going to sleep in my Chud PJ's tonight knowing full well Sullivan will be hired in a day.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-02-2014, 03:08 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be okay with Sullivan. I'd like a bigger change, but it seems unlikely.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maycock View Post
Realistic staff:

Coughlin
Sullivan
Spags

I don't think Coughlin will fire Gilbride though. I just can't see him doing that but we'll see.
I could easily see that coaching staff
Old 01-02-2014, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Gilbride retiring!!!!
Thats a surprise, but I guess it shouldn't be.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-retire-soon/

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-02-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:18 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shefty said Sullivan is the top guy to replace him because ugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Gilbride gone and hopefully Fewell doesn't return.

Eli has a great relationship with Sullivan, its an offensive system he's familiar with, and lets face it getting Eli back on track is our #1 priority.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Shefty said Sullivan is the top guy to replace him because ugh
I actually like Sullivan to be honest.

Sure it is essentially the similar system, but it will be with a different perspective, plus Sullivan will have learned from his time in Tampa. There offense wasn't that bad considering the Freeman debacle and a rookie QB.

looking at Pro Football Focus ratings (subscription required)

Giants

Offense 27th (PFF -72.8)
Pass 21st (PFF -11.6)
Rush 30th (PFF -4.8)
Pass Block 31st (PFF -58.5)
Run Block 17th (PFF -22.9)
Penalty 11th (PFF 25.0)

Tampa Bay

Offense 26th (PFF -70.4)
Pass 23rd (PFF -15.2)
Rush 8th (PFF 12.7)
Pass Block 23rd (PFF -10.8)
Run Block 30th (PFF -69.7)
Penalty 28th (PFF 12.4)

One of the more interesting points is that while our running game ranked 30th was no surprise, our run blocking rated much higher. Conversely our passing rating was quite a bit better than our pass blocking.

With Tampa, they had a very good run game despite very poor run blocking and their pass blocking was a bit better than ours. Considering the Freeman issues and starting a rookie QB, their passing game was ok.

It seems to me that Tampa's offensive strength, rushing, is the biggest area we need to improve.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Interesting our PFF defesive and special teams rankings

Defense 16th (PFF 27.3)
Run Defense 10th (PFF 43.2)
Pass Rush 30th (PFF -31.6
Pass Coverage 12th (PFF 3.0)
Penalty 16th (PFF 12.7)

Special Teams 19th (PFF 15.1)

Looking at a couple of possible options if Fewell departs:

The Titans (Gregg Williams) had the 6th best defence (2nd pass rush)
The Ravens (Steve Spagnuolo) had the 7th best defence (9th pass rush)