Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-02-2014, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. Gilbride gone. Crazy. Wish we'd do something bold and hire Norv or Chud.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Wow. Gilbride gone. Crazy. Wish we'd do something bold and hire Norv or Chud.
I wouldn't rule it out, but Coughlin likes working with people he knows.

i also think the intent is that we need to tweak retune our system rather than basically starting over.

Sullivan makes the most sense to me
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:07 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want Sully. He has done jack to warrant an OC job. I take a bunch of people before him.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
I don't want Sully. He has done jack to warrant an OC job. I take a bunch of people before him.
who do you want? and why?

put some names down :)
Old 01-02-2014, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about Keenan McCardell to coach the WRs? I guess Gilbride Jr still has the job but I hope he's gone soon. McCardell was an intern coach here and coached the WRs in Washington. He had his best years as a player under Coughlin.

I'm hoping for Norv. The basic philosophy of a power run game and vertical attack are there. Other than that I'm fine with the coaches. Ingram I like, Pope is a legend. Flaherty can stay. The O-line was more personnel, injuries, and age.

Last edited by Jughead10 : 01-02-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yea you're right, he just had Josh Freeman and a rookie RB set franchise records in his first year there.. He was also Eli's QB coach when Eli had his best statistical season but that ain't **** either.. Eli had a great year this past season.

Mike Maycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:42 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

David Cutcliffe?

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I am more than ok with Mike Sullivan, I think he is a good hire.
I also think people need to give him a chance, he did very well with Tampa last year.

Also just because his system has roots with Gilbride's system doesn't mean it will be exactly the same, after all every west coast offense is not the same.

I might prefer someone like Norv Turner, but I don't think we will be that adventurous with the hire.

I think we will likely go with Sullivan. He knows the players, knows the coaching staff is familiar with our previous system and more importantly knows Coughlin.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-02-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
David Cutcliffe?
Would be awesome but he's not going from HC to OC.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:09 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am hoping for Turner, or Chud as our OC hire. I am not really thrilled with anyone else. Shaw and David C. aren't leaving. In my mind the hardest step was getting rid of Gilbride. I thought we'd stick to status quo. This retirement was huge first step. Now they just have to make the right hire. Turner is staring us in the face. I really hope we make the change.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:20 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maycock View Post
Yea you're right, he just had Josh Freeman and a rookie RB set franchise records in his first year there.. He was also Eli's QB coach when Eli had his best statistical season but that ain't **** either.. Eli had a great year this past season.

So let him come back and be our WR coach or QB coach. Plus their talent on offense right now is better than us. I'd take the muscle hamster any day over the junk we have at RB. Their Ol did very well, and on top of that no one could bring down him running he ball.

Eli's statistical season was a component of many things. Let's give Sully props for Cruz's break out year at Wr... because he was a QB coach that year. Eli was good that year with late season comebacks but all our WRs were playing well. It was a good year in this system. Everything was clicking which this system showed. It was a boom or bust system. When things were on we could rip anyone a new butt hole. When we stunk, you got an epic s.. show.

I'd bring Sully back as a WR replacing Gilbride Jr. or as a Qb coach. I don't want him as our OC though.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:17 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I am hoping for Turner, or Chud as our OC hire. I am not really thrilled with anyone else. Shaw and David C. aren't leaving. In my mind the hardest step was getting rid of Gilbride. I thought we'd stick to status quo. This retirement was huge first step. Now they just have to make the right hire. Turner is staring us in the face. I really hope we make the change.
The question is how well Coughlin knows those two.

Looking into the detail a little more and I have to agree with you on Turner and Chudzinski.

Turner's version of the "Air Coryell" offense would work well here.

Quote:

A key tenant to Turner's system is the vertical passing game. As a disciple of the "Air Coryell" offense, Turner's fondness for stretching the field, could be a major boon for Weeden.

Turner's fondness for flooding the field with vertical routes also opens up the intermediate zones for the tight end. Think about how Antonio Gates has exploited the middle for years with the Chargers. A more dated example would be Jay Novacek working the underneath for the Dallas Cowboys in the early-90's.

Turner's predilection for using tight ends this way could make the position a priority in free agency or the draft. Benjamin Watson is starting to slow and Alex Smith has never reached his potential.

Jordan Cameron is the closest to a Turner-type tight end currently on the roster. What the Browns need is an explosive player, with the angular frame to be used both in-line and from the slot.

Turner's hiring is also excellent news for Trent Richardson. He can expect to be featured in more of a north-south style running game. Turner usually relies on zone blocking, but tends to trust bigger linemen to execute it.

Unlike zone-running teams like the Houston Texans and Washington Redskins, Turner is not relying on stretch runs and cutback plays. His ground attacks are usually built on interior counters, run behind mobile power that wins at the line and then overwhelms in the open field.

From http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...e-under-new-oc
I would also be quite happy with Charlie Weis as well. I think the Erhardt-Perkins offensive system would also be an upgrade.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-03-2014 at 03:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-2014, 03:27 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Interestingly, I wonder if we did hire Turner or Chud, should we look at other members of the Browns offensive staff?

Offensive Quality Control Coach Shane Steichen
Offensive Line Coach Mike Sullivan
Offensive Line Coach George Warhop
Wide Receivers Coach Scott Turner

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-03-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:26 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brandon Jacobs retired today. Such a great Giant!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-03-2014, 09:55 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Pete Damilatis& #8207;@PFF_Pete14h
Since many of Giants turnover issues stemmed from Gilbride's system, I'm very skeptical of Mike Sullivan replacing him.

Pete Damilatis■@PFF_Pete11h
For those asking, Sullivan uses same "sight adjustment" principles Gilbride does. Disaster when QB & WR on different pages

Jacobs retired. I was never a fan of him, but rooted for him because he was a Giant. I wish him luck in the next chapter of his life.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

You must be super happy with both Gilbride and Jacobs retiring! It's your dream scenario.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-03-2014, 10:58 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Jacobs is whatever. I mean if he can't stay healthy I can't wish him luck on another team. Gilbride, as you know, is a dream scenario, however, if we hire Sully, who I don't think is the best man for the job, then I will be pissed. If the above twitter entry is true, then god now, last thing I want is the same or similar sight adjustment routes.

Imagine that... finally get a new OC and we hire a guy who runs the same sight adjustment routes. That would be my personal hell.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

It's definitely happening. 1% chance it's someone other than Sully.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

I know it's sad too. Does that not bother anyone else?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It bothers all of us.

My only hope now is if Fewell is gone and we replace him with a better option. That would make my offseason.

If we have a coaching staff of Sullivan and Fewell for next year I'm gonna be pissed.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It does suck. I wish we would go out on a limb but honestly I think this will be Coughlin's last year. It's just a shame we couldn't pull in Chud or Norv.

Has there been any news on the defensive side of things? Fewell being retained? Honestly, I can live with Sullivan if we bring in a good defensive coordinator.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:27 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's what confuses me. The Redskins had to ask the Giants permission to talk to Fewell.

Doesn't that indicate he's under contract? So did he get extended quietly during the season again?

Bc correct me if I'm wrong, if his contract was supposed to be up at the end of the year the Redskins wouldn't need to ask for permission to interview him bc he would be a FA correct?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Depends when the contract expires. It might expire Feb 1 and they wanted to interview him right away.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:38 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Riiiight. Gotcha. Bc technically I guess the season ends with the SB so he would be under contract until then. Makes sense.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yeah I think Jug has that one right. We haven't heard any talk of an extension but the Giants always hold the cards close. Gilbride said he was thinking about retiring for a few years now so I'm curious if that's true or not.

sig by BoneKrusher