Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-17-2014, 01:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to mention Brandon Coleman is gonna look SOOOO sexy in Giant blue next year in this new offense.

My body is ready. It's been ready.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coleman in the 3rd or 4th yes please. He looked like a totally different WR this year but I believe that mostly had to do with health. He needs to improve in some areas though like fighting for the ball and locating it in the air.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see him lasting that long. He'll be gone in the 2nd. When he blows up the combine he'll be a 2nd round pick.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think that's to big of a risk. I wouldn't want us to do that.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone have a good cap site? My estimates are 20-25 mil after cutting Snee.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:27 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
overthecap.com is by far the best.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-17-2014, 01:27 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Overthecap.com

We have quite a few substantial contracts we can work with if we choose, we could easily get around $40m in cap room if we chose.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Giants&Year=2014
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I don't see him lasting that long. He'll be gone in the 2nd. When he blows up the combine he'll be a 2nd round pick.
there is so much talent at WR this year, all bets are off.

Scott has Brandon Coleman as the #13 WR and the #90 overall. That seems about right to me.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

If he's there in the 3rd? We have to take him at that point don't we? Randle and Coleman on the outside, Cruz in the slot, Jernigan playing the Cobb role out of the backfield.

I'm sweating.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:29 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need a TE. I hope once the OL get addressed we can address that position.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:59 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
We need a TE. I hope once the OL get addressed we can address that position.
There are a few options in the mid rounds that could be interesting.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 01-18-2014 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:25 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

here is an interesting article on McCarthy and McAdoo's signing with the Giants

Quote:
Packers’ McCarthy: Giants ‘hired the right man’ in McAdoo

Not long after Ben McAdoo learned Tom Coughlin and the Giants wanted to speak with him about their offensive coordinator vacancy, Packers head coach Mike McCarthy offered some advice to his young assistant.

“We talked at length about Coach Coughlin and what they’ve done there, and I thought that from day one those two would be an excellent fit,’’ McCarthy told The Post on Friday morning in a phone interview from Green Bay. “I think he definitely hired the right man.’’

No one in the NFL knows the 36-year old McAdoo better than McCarthy and no one can break down what McAdoo will bring the Giants more accurately than McCarthy.

McCarthy brought McAdoo into the league back in 2004, when McCarthy was the Saints offensive coordinator, and the two worked together for more than a decade, with stops in New Orleans and San Francisco with the 49ers before spending the past eight years with the Packers.

“He’s prepared himself a long time for this opportunity,’’ McCarthy said. “I feel personally, we have a very strong relationship and I couldn’t be more excited for Ben and his family. Professionally, I’m very proud of him.’’

In 2002, McCarthy was looking for an offensive quality control coach when he put a call in to McAdoo, who at the time was an assistant at Fairfield University. McCarthy was at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis and the two agreed to speak again.

“The next day I’m walking through the lobby there at the Canterbury Hotel and there’s this young man in a suit sitting there with a bunch of playbooks,’’ McCarthy recalled. “After the phone call, he jumped in his car, filled it up with gas and drove from Connecticut all the way to Indianapolis just to sit down and meet with me. I didn’t know he was coming. I spent my lunch hour with him and we visited. It didn’t work out, he ended up having an opportunity to go to the University of Pittsburgh that year as a graduate assistant and we hired him the following year with Saints.

“I’ve never forgotten that first meeting with Ben because just his desire and work ethic was evident from that day and it never ceased. That’s the way he’s always approached the game of football.’’

McCarthy entrusted McAdoo with the Packers tight ends for six years, and, the last two seasons, handed over Aaron Rodgers and the rest of the quarterbacks.

Asked what offensive system McAdoo will bring to the Giants, McCarthy said, “That’s a question for him. I think it will definitely be a product of his experiences. He’s creative, he believes in the hard-nosed approach and I think he’s an excellent fit for Coach Coughlin.’’

Will it be some version of the West Coast offense?

“I would think so,’’ McCarthy said. “I think the West Coach offense is a term that kind of blankets some people’s systems. I still believe in the origin of the West Coast offense, but I think the approach of today’s game is a little different, there’s more things done at the line of scrimmage than in the old days. I think Ben will do a great job of utilizing his resources and customizing the system to utilize his personnel.’’

McAdoo never called plays for McCarthy. In fact, he has never called plays at any level.

“It’s not a concern,’’ McCarthy said. “I always felt if you coach the quarterback, you’re also in the daily grind of preparing the quarterback — there’s no better preparation to call plays. Ben’s been sitting there a long time calling plays in his head. He was my eyes in the press box. There’s no better targeting for calling plays on the field than to be the guy in the box that has to regulate the game and watch the game and be two or three plays ahead. He’s done that for us the last two years, so I don’t think that will be an issue at all.’’

If McAdoo is a hit with the Giants, he could be in line to succeed Coughlin, who turns 68 in August.

“I think he’s definitely on that track,’’ McCarthy said of McAdoo’s possible future as an NFL head coach. “He’s a simple man, but he’s a complex individual. He’s not going to get off track, he’s very, very focused on the priorities of his life, both personally and professionally, so I can you promise you this: He’ll pour everything he has into the offense in New York.

“I’m a Ben McAdoo fan, absolutely.’’

http://nypost.com/2014/01/17/packers...man-in-mcadoo/
Old 01-19-2014, 09:03 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like behind the scenes there was more to Nicks this season...

NFL Networkþ@nflnetwork·11 mins
Per @RapSheet: Hakeem Nicks not expected to return to @Giants next season.

NFL Networkþ@nflnetwork·11 mins
Per @RapSheet: Hakeem Nicks not expected to return to @Giants next season.

Ian Rapoportþ@RapSheet·5 mins
Multiple sources tell me Hakeem Nicks was fined repeatedly for being late to meetings & missing treatment. He battled thru several injuries

Ian Rapoportþ@RapSheet·5m
From #NFLGameDay: WR Hakeem Nicks is not expected back with #Giants. Besides disappointing play, he was fined multiple times by the team
Old 01-19-2014, 09:04 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Ian Rapoportþ@RapSheet·9m
Hakeem Nicks is not the only player to be late & miss treatment. He’s not a bad guy. But in a contract year, this frustrated Giants

Patricia Traina‏@Patricia_Traina·4 secs
Not surprised at all about the Nicks report. His approach this year fell apart at the seams. Been saying for months he wouldn't be back
Old 01-19-2014, 09:12 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

I wonder why Nicks did all this. He was going to get paid by someone. Prepare and play hard. I wonder if injuries in past years created a mentality for him to be cautious in his approach. A good WR who never hit his potential to injuries.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Also seems like the SB win took his juice out.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-19-2014, 11:17 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Bart Hubbuch ‏@HubbuchNYP 57s
Report of Hakeem Nicks not returning = no surprise. When the Giants blew him off in the postseason meeting he sought, it was a glaring sign
Old 01-19-2014, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I really hope we use this offseason to get younger and healthier and get our cap in shape going forward.

This is how I see I could see things playing out

Cut/Retire Chris Snee
Snee has been of great service to the Giants for many years. Snee will be 32, he has a cap number of $11,750,00 and has injuries. There are a couple of options, but they will depend on whether he can get healthy. I think it is likely that Snee won’t be healthy and he will likely retire. If Snee can play then he is going to have to take a hefty pay cut, perhaps similar to David Diehl earlier this year ($1,000,000 salary), and maybe even consider a positional move to Center. The paycut option would create $6,250,000 in cap room, retiring or releasing would create $7,250,000 in salary cap space for 2014.

Cut David Baas (post June 1 designation)
Baas cannot stay healthy and has a cap number of $8,225,000 and has two years remaining on his contract. It is pretty clear that we need to reload the offensive line. Releasing Baas will create $1,775,000 in cap room for 2014, with and addition $3,225,000 in June if he is designated as a post June cut.

(two players can be designated as post June1 cuts and regain the difference in cap value after 1 June)

Cut Matthias Kiwanuka
Kiwanuka has not been productive, has a salary cap number of $7,050,000 and will be 31. He also has two years remaining on his contract. Releasing Kiwanuka will create $1,800,000 in cap room for 2014, with and additional $2,625,000 in June if he is designated as a post June cut.

Cut Brandon Myers
Myers was not a great fit for Coughlin’s style of offense and has a cap number of $4,375,000. You could argue that he is a better fit as a #2 TE in our new system, but not at that price. Releasing Myers creates and additional $3,250,000 in salary cap room for 2014.

Cut Corey Webster
Webster has a relatively modest cap number of $2,250,000, but age and injuries are catching up. Releasing Webster would save $1,000,000 in salary cap room for 2014.

Cut Antrel Rolle
Rolle has been very good for us, but he will be 31, in the final year of his contract with a salary cap number of $9,250,000 (the projected franchise number for a safety is $8,021,000). I expect that Rolle (like Webster last year) will be asked to take a pay cut which I don’t think he will agree to. If Rolle agrees to a similar cut to what Corey Webster took ($1,250,000 salary + $250,000 workout bonus), it will create $5,750,000 in additional salary cap room for 2014. Releasing Rolle will create $7,250,000

With these 6 playes gone we free up $22,325,000 (+$5,850,000) in cap room for 2014

Here is what I can see happening with our free agents

Nicks departs

Resign Linval Joseph

Offer Justin Tuck a reasable price contract (probably similar to Cullen Jenkins)

Resign Terrell Thomas and Jon Beason to reasonably priced contracts (Thomas moving to safety to cover departure of Rolle)

Resign Trumaine McBride and Andre Brown to modest contracts

Resign Kevin Boothe, Josh Brown, Mike Patterson, Spencer Paysinger, Mark Herzlich and Henry Hynoski to cheap contracts
Old 01-19-2014, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
I wonder why Nicks did all this. He was going to get paid by someone. Prepare and play hard. I wonder if injuries in past years created a mentality for him to be cautious in his approach. A good WR who never hit his potential to injuries.
I think that is part of it, I also think part of it is his personality.

While he can play physical, he isn't the kind of player that digs in and fights when the chips are down.

In some ways this past season allowed us to see the true character of our players.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we need to restructure rolle. He's too important on this D to just cut him
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
I think we need to restructure rolle. He's too important on this D to just cut him
The issue is how much will he take? It also impacts future seasons.
In fact previous season's restructuring is part of the reason Rolle's cap number is so high. The other factor to consider is Rolle's age.

I agree with you in principle, but it all depends on the numbers.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:14 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

The linebacker play in that SF/Seattle game was incredible. I really think we should upgrade our LB corps. If you're a great tackling defense, you'll be a great defense regardless of scheme. Half the battle is tackling. That Seattle/SF NFCCG, you could literally count the # of missed tackles btw both teams on 1 hand. That's what I call defense. It was unreal.

And SF doesn't even have a great secondary. Their front 7 is ridiculous, but their secondary is so mediocre. But look at how great their defense is. It's bc they have 2 ILBs who patrol the middle of the field, and they have tackling machines all over the field.

I really hope we get some linebackers this offseason.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

I doubt we upgrade the LB corps. That's a pipe dream.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:30 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I don't want us to approach this offseason with the assumption that signing a mediocre Jon Beason is a good enough fix to what is a horrible LB corp. Especially since Beason is injury prone. One injury to him and you're back in the dumpster.

And he's not even that good. He's just mediocre. Which makes him look like Lawrence Taylor standing next to the other filth we put out there at LB.

It's a huge risk to go into next year without a backup plan. We need a MIKE and a WILL in the draft. Some young guys who don't suck.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really hope Shazier is there in the 2nd.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote