Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I did a little digging with PFF

Here is the QB ratings for passes into each player's coverage (and where they ranked positionally)

Trumaine McBride (5th CB) – 57.4
621 snaps

Walter Thurmond (13th CB) – 67.4
480 snaps

Dominique Rogers-Cromartie (14th CB) – 67.8
787 snaps

Prince Amukamara (57th CB) – 87.7
1108 snaps

Quintin Demps (3rd safety) – 35.3
655 snaps

Antrel Rolle (4th saftey) – 43.1
1155 snaps

Will Hill (16th safety) – 62.0
787 snaps

Stevie Brown 2012 (29th safety) – 71.3
846 snaps

Frankly I was very surprised with the results

It seems to be a definate shift in focus. Sure there can be a few factors involved, but this group of guys are all very good at shutting down the pass.

(btw Alterran Verner was 4th CB)

Last edited by Big_Pete : 03-17-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:29 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
That's a lot. I don't think he's a good corner. Kinda upset by the move.
Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 2m
If my math is right, that puts DRC's 2014 cap number at a reasonable $2.75M (give or take a small bonus or two). #NYG

Does that help you feel any better?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm assuming this is only for year one since most deals are back loaded.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:35 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looking at the roster breakdown, we're really just gonna attack the trenches at TE spot, I can dig it. Shame it's such a weak class for pass rushers... Which is probably why we stocked up on DBs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:02 AM    (permalink
Mike Maycock
Rookie

Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mike Maycock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DRC may not be a shut down corner but he's still one of the better CBs in the league and a huge upgrade over what we had last season. With Prince, DRC, and Thurmond I don't know how you can't be excited about that.
Mike Maycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maycock View Post
DRC may not be a shut down corner but he's still one of the better CBs in the league and a huge upgrade over what we had last season. With Prince, DRC, and Thurmond I don't know how you can't be excited about that.
Not to mention Rolle, Hill, and Brown. That's pretty sexy.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:02 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm lukewarm on DRC. It's a risk/reward signing. I honestly rather have drafted a CB at 12, either Gilbert or Dennard. But the move is made, and I hope we reap the benefits of it.

Would I make the move? No, I wouldn't. I don't hate it, I don't love it, I'm indifferent.

I think DRC would thrive in a press man defense like Rex Ryan's, but in our defense, I don't know how he'll perform. Can we trust Perry to run predominately man defense with Thurmond and DRC and Prince? He should, but will he? Probably not.

We have the secondary to play a lot of man coverage and have excellent versatility. Prince and DRC are great press man guys, as is Thurmond. Will Hill is versatile and can cover TEs, as can Rolle. Both can play the slot. We lack a true center fielder but not many have that.

If JWill can cover underneath our man coverage will be excellent this year. I just hope we actually run man coverage instead of Perry's complex zone defenses. I hate Fewell so ******* much.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:05 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Two reasons I like the move, I stated this in the NFL forum.

1. Hopefully this means Rolle will never have to play the slot CB again. It cost us the Cowboys game and the rest of the season or at last a few more interesting weeks.

2. It allows us to focus on OL and TE with the first 3 picks of the draft. Hopefully.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think we need to beef up the DL and WR as well.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We absolutely need to beef up DL and WR also. The problem is, we need to beef up DE and this draft is just awful for DEs.

The only thing I can think of to alleviate our DE problem is taking a guy like Donald at 12 and hoping he can bring some A gap pressure.

But the way I'm looking at it now, move back into the 20s, take a G in the 1st, and then a C and WR or C and TE in the 2nd.

Then 3rd and beyond go bpa.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:42 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

mario's byke
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

No problem's at all with him and Jernigan battling it out for the 3 spot. Does this make us less likely to go WR at 12 though? I would hope not but it might.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
No problem's at all with him and Jernigan battling it out for the 3 spot. Does this make us less likely to go WR at 12 though? I would hope not but it might.
I think Jernigan's emergence makes us less likely to go WR at all in this draft, really. I've got a fear we're gonna be content with Cruz-Randle-JJ-MM-Holiday
Quote:
Old 03-18-2014, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Mario, Hill, and Thurmond should probably be kept away from each other also.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-18-2014, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
I think Jernigan's emergence makes us less likely to go WR at all in this draft, really. I've got a fear we're gonna be content with Cruz-Randle-JJ-MM-Holiday
Coleman in the 3rd would be perfect.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-18-2014, 11:48 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Coleman in the 3rd would be perfect.
Oh, I'm well aware. TE/OL/DL in the first 2 rounds, Coleman in the 3rd. Swoon.
Quote:
Old 03-18-2014, 11:48 AM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Eh, it's only a 1 year deal and JJ is in the last year of his deal if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure if we see someone we really like we'll take him. I think all of this is leading to Ebron being the pick at 12 though, TE is the one position of need we didn't address at all during FA.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:37 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I want Coleman in the 3rd.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I'm very meh about these moves. I just hope we don't pass on talents in these positions bc of the moves we've made. These bandaids do nothing for our future, we still need to develop players in all of these areas. I hope the team doesn't view this as a way of avoiding selecting players in these positions.

We still need to draft WRs, OL, CBs, LBs, we need all of it. Bandaids aren't solutions.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah but we can't get everything we need. There just aren't enough picks in rounds 1-5. We need some band aids to get us through this season. Bottom line is Reese needs to hit more often in the draft. Thats what got us into this mess.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

But I'd hate to pass on a better talent in the draft just bc we have a bandaid in that position. That only leads to more failure in the draft.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
But I'd hate to pass on a better talent in the draft just bc we have a bandaid in that position. That only leads to more failure in the draft.
Well if Reese is stupid enough to do that, we have bigger problems than a young WR through the draft.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Well if Reese is stupid enough to do that, we have bigger problems than a young WR through the draft.
Well, for example, do we pass on Center bc we gave JD Walton a contract? Do we pass on a WR in round 2 that's bpa bc we have Mario and we feel we need to address a different position?

These things happen all the time and wind up costing you more valuable players. We'll definitely pass on CB, and what if Dennard or Gilbert become the next great thing? Then we'll pass on a greater talent bc we have a guy like DRC. That type of situation almost always leads to you taking a lesser player bc of the need.

That's why I usually dislike getting too many free agents. We honestly are better off just accepting this as a rebuilding period and going BPA every round that will naturally fill a need on it's own. It would take 2 years to bounce back instead of 1, but bandaids don't help development.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Speaking of which, the early returns on the 2013 draft class are still trending towards a similar path: nothing after round 3.

1. Pugh - so far a solid pick who should stick for awhile.
2. Hankerson - Joseph replacement who looked pretty good in spot duty.
3. Moore - let's cross our fingers that he's a legit DE.

So the first 3 rounds look promising. And then the 4th round came by...

4. Nassib - ....
5. Cooper Taylor - I have no idea what to make of this guy. Signing a bunch of safeties must mean they're not keen on him at safety, and I don't know if he can convert to OLB either. Wasted pick already?
7. Herman - Sucks.
7. Cox - Ehhhhh...could be mediocre. Could not. Either way, meh.

So the 4 picks we had after round 3 are not looking good...again. This is a sign of poor scouting, if we keep missing in rounds 4 through 7, that's a sign that our scouting department is doing a poor job.

And that's not good. Ideally you want 3 players each draft, 4 is a home run draft, but the fact that we can't hit after round 4 is still worrisome.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

I just don't see what you can't do both? Sure it would take 2 years to rebuild through the draft, but if you can supplement your first draft with some FAs on short deals, anything can happen. The ball boucnes your way and all of a sudden you're on a hot streak in the playoffs. You can turn around really quickly in this league.

From everything I've read, they are no centers in this draft. I don't trust Walton but we may have to. Everyone says this draft is deep at WR, but I'm not completely sold on that either. The one thing I am convinced of is this draft is deep at OL. I would still like 2 OL in the first 4 picks.