Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-09-2014, 02:54 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Randle is the only big target we have. That's a little worrisome.
As jugs mentioned this will be a YAC offense, but still both Cruz and Beckham can really fly when they go up for the ball so I'm not worried cause that sort of leaping ability makes them big targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchdownmaker View Post
Hmm....

So if Reese wants guys who contribute right away withthe first three picks then where would that take us? My assumption is that we would have to look at the positions with shallow depth right.
C, TE, and S with the immediate need coming from TE and C

Looks like Sefarian-Jenkins or Amaro could be the picks, Nicklaus seems less plug and play. But at 12 they seem like a bit of a reach.

As for WR in the 3rd round....I would actually be very happy with Jarvis Landry or Lattimer, however another WR doesn't fit the requirement of being able to contribute right away, the Depth chart is full. I would love Martavius Bryant in the fourth though.
I thnk we are more happy with Dallas Reynolds backing up center than fans think. Safety is loaded if Hill is back and still decent without him. I don't see day 2 value at safety for us.

As far as a WR, one of the things to consider is lots of depth and competition at spots. I aslo think we use a lot more multiple WR sets.
The other factor to consider is that Gilbride Sr was criticial of the worth ethic last year of all our WRs other than Cruz.
If you look at what we have done with the secondary and offensive line, we have loaded up with talented guys, our depth has players who have been solid at times in starting roles. If we draft a third round WR they will come in and compete right away.

I am basing my thoughts on the expected value at positions. It really depends on the value available at each pick. But there will almost certainly be decent talent available at WR, RB and TE due to the players available
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
New system. The whole big target thing is over stated. Plax was our big WR.

Everyone else wasn't "big". We had Mario, Smith, Toomer (bigger), and Cruz.
RR is bigger.

Reese, on giants.com, addressed that saying the Seahawks WRs aren't big either but they won. I think our new system will be more WCO and favor YAC. In fact, I think we see more X or Z hot, bubble screens and quick concept passing.

Throw the ball 1 or 2 yards, and have Cruz, JJ, and Odell run like the wind. No more drop 7 steps, and sit in the pocket for an hour to wait for the WR to make the right adjustment. In the end ball goes one way, and WR goes another. I am tired of that.

Your route is your route. Throw the ball and have the guys play fast because the thought process is simplified.
Very good points, look at the size of GB WRs under McCarthy
Old 05-09-2014, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I wanted Martin. After thinking about it I do like the pick. Explosive WR! I always said we needed speed or home run ability. Outside of Cruz this team doesn't have that home run hitter. Wilson is a question mark. And also Cruz is going to have to learn a new system and coming back from injury.
I wanted Martin as well and I am sure we liked him a lot. I just think the front office is pretty happy with the offensive line depth we have. We have been very proactive and still have a bunch of talented youngsters with some experience.

Thinking on this pick a little more and I am starting to like it, he adds that speed and deep threat we wanted with Murphy.

I think it is a case off loading up the offense with weapons for Eli and with a improved Oline and new system our offense should rebound in a big way.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Deleted....

Last edited by Big_Pete : 05-09-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:57 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

deleted....

Last edited by Big_Pete : 05-11-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:10 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
I wanted Martin as well and I am sure we liked him a lot. I just think the front office is pretty happy with the offensive line depth we have. We have been very proactive and still have a bunch of talented youngsters with some experience.

Thinking on this pick a little more and I am starting to like it, he adds that speed and deep threat we wanted with Murphy.

I think it is a case off loading up the offense with weapons for Eli and with a improved Oline and new system our offense should rebound in a big way.
I wanted Martin, but in hindsight I like OBJ. I didn't realize I guess he was that good. People focused on Watkins and Evans, but seeing how other teams wanted OBJ and hearing what Dave G. said down in Carolina about OBJ, I like the pick a lot.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:13 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wanted Martin, but in hindsight I like OBJ. I didn't realize I guess he was that good. People focused on Watkins and Evans, but seeing how other teams wanted OBJ and hearing what Dave G. said down in Carolina about OBJ, I like the pick a lot.
The fact that San Francisco was going crazy trying to trade up to get him makes me feel very good about the pick.

Last edited by Jughead10 : 05-12-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:17 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
The fact that San Francisco was going crazy trying to trade up to get him makes me feel very good about the pick.
There was a lot... SF, Steelers, Eagles and Jets. All of the reports. Once we took OBJ, Shazier got picked accordingly tothe NFL.com article. So 4 teams wanted him. SF tried trading up but too expensive.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:35 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So would you bring in Lyeria out of desperation? He could be a blessing if we get him in the right mind.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:53 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

After what happened with Will Hill and his substance issues, I doubt we go with a guy who has even more serious drug issues.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:01 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
After what happened with Will Hill and his substance issues, I doubt we go with a guy who has even more serious drug issues.
I do understand that, but different people. It could be argued that Will Hill was even more immature during his college days. Lyerla came prepared at the combine, pro day, and a try out is a try out.

I don't understand however how players like Donte Stallworth who killed a man or all the players involved in the Miami OL situation are given a chance almost immediately. Drugs are so common, its awful, but they are all detrimental behaviors, why should one outweigh another by so much?

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-12-2014, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.

We should definitely bring in Finely or Keller. Whoever is medically clear to play.
Mel Pipeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:34 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

I still don't think we would bring in a guy like that. After all we are talking Giants here. With the offense and team in flux, I wouldn't do it. If we had solid leaders I would invite him to camp but that's it. Even that is sketchy. He has talent but his off the field issue had to be a lot to not get drafted.

Did anyone sign him to bring him in?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rusty Smith released, probably good news for Eli's ankle.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:48 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
So would you bring in Lyeria out of desperation? He could be a blessing if we get him in the right mind.
I wouldn't, but that's because the idea of Colt and Will Hill going out in NYC terrifies me. That night probably ends with Eli somehow getting suspended for the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I wonder if we will look at trading for a TE like Jermaine Gresham
Old 05-12-2014, 08:29 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

Quote:
I still don't think we would bring in a guy like that. After all we are talking Giants here. With the offense and team in flux, I wouldn't do it. If we had solid leaders I would invite him to camp but that's it. Even that is sketchy. He has talent but his off the field issue had to be a lot to not get drafted.

Did anyone sign him to bring him in?
I realize, but how hard is it to give a training camp invite and renege it if you don't feel comfortable? Much reward comes with no investment. We need bodies, he's a body with talent. He has baggage, but what does he have to go back to? His family life, behavior, drug use, and direction are all issues. Keep him focused, I think thats possible if you give him a role, surround him with mature people, and show him the life he could have; give him a family.

Will Hill just seemed like a dickhead. His issues don't seem like they stemmed from a problem other than his own. Lyerla seems like a kid that was overwhelmed and needs a change of scenery. I don't know, thats just my observation because I see a kid who is very passionate and talented that could be helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
I wouldn't, but that's because the idea of Colt and Will Hill going out in NYC terrifies me. That night probably ends with Eli somehow getting suspended for the year.
Lol, that makes me think of a chain of events like The Hangover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
I wonder if we will look at trading for a TE like Jermaine Gresham
Thought about that, but what about Detroit's afterthought Joseph Fauria? They just drafted Ebron at 10, signed Pettigrew to a 4 year 18 mil contract with 8 mil guaranteed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQGHh803D_Q
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...ria?id=2539327

It makes too much sense so we won't do it. He's not a real good blocker, but man does he look long and athletic. He'd be a good fit for the new movement to basketball-player-esque TE's.

Edit:

Some other guys I'd look at are Denver's Virgil Green and Cardinal's Rob Housel.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by BaLLiN : 05-12-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

One thing to remember though (and Reese and Coughlin have eluded to it), is that we aren't looking for a purely receiving TE that is popular these days.

We still want all round TEs who can block and contribute in the running game. The guys we want tend to be bigger. I do like the Kellen Davis and Xavier Grimble pick ups.

Fauria is a nice option, but how much will Detroit want to trade him? A late day 3 pick in 2015 is reasonable.

Lee Smith from Buffalo could be an option
Old 05-12-2014, 09:56 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We made Jake Ballard a competent starter, I'm not worried about the TE position at all this year

EDIT: In 2011-12 Ballard, Beckum and Pascoe were our only TEs on the roster and you guys are worried about Donnell, Robinson, Grimble, Davis and Pascoe?

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:58 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pascoe is not on the team anymore.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
We made Jake Ballard a competent starter, I'm not worried about the TE position at all this year

EDIT: In 2011-12 Ballard, Beckum and Pascoe were our only TEs on the roster and you guys are worried about Donnell, Robinson, Grimble, Davis and Pascoe?
Fair point

I think we are ok to be honest. But Coughlin has expressed serious concern about the TE position, so I am looking at possible trade options. Other than signing someone like Finlay or waiting until roster cuts near the season it is the only way we can upgrade the talent.

btw Pascoe signed with the Falcons
Old 05-12-2014, 10:05 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTgiants View Post
Pascoe is not on the team anymore.
He was more of a HB anyways who couldn't really catch for dick. Him not being on the team kinda helps my point

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with you OSU but don't forget Pope was a big part of that and now he's gone.

Anyway there are never trades in the NFL after the draft. This is definitely who we're going into the season with.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

One of the issues is the dpeature of Pascoe, while nothing special he was a versatile, solid player with experience.

Now we have the unproven Robinson, Donnell and Davis

sure all three have potential to be solid contibutors but there is a fair amount of risk

here is the PFF of our TEs over their careers

Kellen Davis

2013 (SEA): 172 snaps, PFF -6.4 (-0.2 pass, -0.2 pass block, 0.5 screen block, -5.3 run block, -1.2 penalty)

2012 (CHI): 980 snaps, PFF -8.8 (-10.9 pass, 1.2 pass block, 1.5 screen block, -1.4 run block, 0.8 penalty)

2011 (CHI): 751 snaps, PFF 5.6 (-0.2 pass, 0.4 pass block, 0 screen block, 4.9 run block, 0.5 penalty)

2010 (CHI): 181 snaps, PFF 2.3 (0.3 pass, 0.6 pass block, 0 screen block, 1.2 run block, 0.2 penalty)

2009 (CHI): 224 snaps, PFF 0.4 (-1.4 pass, -0.5 pass block, 0 screen block, 2.3 run block, 0 penalty)

2008 (CHI): 43 snaps, PFF -3.3 (-0.4 pass, 0 pass block, 0 screen block, -2.0 run block, -0.9 penalty)

Larry Donnell

2013 (NYG): 107 snaps, PFF -6.6 (-1.4 pass, -1.1 pass block, 0.5 screen block, -4.0 run block, -0.6 penalty)